Start by marking “Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)” as Want to Read:
Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)

Taming Demons for Beginners

(The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)

Rule one: Don't look at the demon.

When I arrived at my uncle's house, I expected my relatives to be like me—outcast sorcerers who don't practice magic. I was right about the sorcery, but wrong about everything else.

Rule two: Don't listen to the demon.

My uncle chose a far deadlier power. He calls creatures of darkness into our world, binds them into service contracts, and s
Published September 11th 2019 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Taming Demons for Beginners, please sign up.
Jae So far, there is only brief mentions of mild attraction on the female MC's part. What with the male MC not being human, he is a bit... harder to read.…moreSo far, there is only brief mentions of mild attraction on the female MC's part. What with the male MC not being human, he is a bit... harder to read. Not to mention he is not used to females that are not trying to kill him (females in his species are to far stronger magically than the males). I think there are definitely romantic aspects that will be addressed in the future, but for the most part this series is focused on action.(less)

Start your review of Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
mith
4AM screaming aside, hello! I’m about to jump into this again for a more normal read instead of tempting a zombie state in the morning lol

Ugh I love this book. I really, really love this book. It’s different from Tori’s Spellbound books in many ways, but it has Annette Marie’s signature writing style that reels you in regardless.

And listen I’ll try to be objective because, at this point, everyone already knows I’m here for the demon love interest. But I can’t promise that lmao

Starting with what
Mara YA Mood Reader
One of the best New Adult Urban Fantasy books I’ve ever read!

Oooooh boy do I struggle with NA!! It’s extremely frustrating when all I want is something only slightly more explicit than YA, with college age characters, slow burn and tastefully done romance.

But noooooo! 95% of the time I venture into NA from YA and it goes straight to raunchy like those child Disney stars as soon as they turn 18.

(And I’m not a prude. I even prefer a character with dirty mouth and I love smut! Just not overly ex
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 [gleaming] Stars

I generously received an ARC of this book from the author/ publisher in exchange for an honest review- all opinions are my own.

HOLY MOLY, WO-OW. This was everything I could’ve ever hoped for. Truly. Fantastic read that I recommend to anyone and everyone.
Annette Marie is an absolute FORCE.

I love the CodexVerse (A nickname is needed with Spellbound, and now Demonized, as well. I just happen to have one 😉). SO; naturally, I was a bit nervous to meet the Demonized
Holly
In this new spin-off/side-series, I think Robin is actually a little more interesting than Tori, even if Robin is 'weaker' despite the fact that Tori is just a human and Robin is not.

I really enjoyed the slow development of Robin and the demon's 'relationship' in the beginning of this book. Howeer, once the storyline crossed over to the same storyline/timeline as the other series featuring Tori, my interest did lower a little bit. Luckily it picked back up at the very end.

I think it's very int
Robin (Bridge Four)
Joint review with Anne posted at Books of my Heart

I’ve had a few misses and some meh experiences in trying out new authors in the UF genre so I’m a little excited about new to me author Annette Marie’s Taming Demon’s for beginners. This seems like one of the more promising first books in a series that I’ve read lately. So far there are interesting characters, nice conflict, mysteries to be uncovered and a pretty cool world.

Robin grew up with some loving parents that always taught her to stay awa
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If the TV show Supernatural has taught me anything, it is that over time, you would be surprised what you can grow on you until even their evilness is cute and you adore them.
I absolutely loved this. From shy timid Robin that secretly wants to be a BA but is far braver and closer to it than she thinks, to Z, Amalia and of course my beloved Crow and Hammer members.
I loved loved that we see more of Darius in this! I loved him after the last book and he has always seemed mysterious but so darn lov
✶Rachelle✶
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

^^^ me after finishing this book

I LOVE ROBIN

From the get go too, which hardly ever happens. It took me a little while to warm up to Tori (from The Guild Codex), but I had an instant connection with Robin....probably because I've had similiar thoughts as her. Word of warning...this book will make you hungry. Robin is an avid cookie baker.

I LOVE ZYLAS

I can't say much more without being spoiler-y, but his sass just works. I can't wait to see more of him in future books.

Seriously, if you're
Precious ✨
I can’t wait! This cover 😍 -- Edit September 15th, 2019 now that I actually read it.

I loved this fresh start of a spin off! Spin offs have their own obstacles to face. Yeah sure the main series lovers will give you a shot 70% of the time because of the love they have for the first one and a bit of obligation nibbling at their fingers. But their expectations are going to be higher. You have to start strong in order to keep he momentum from where the main series left off. And did Annette deliver
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Taming Demons for Beginners
Guild Codex: Demonized Series, Book 1
By: Annette Marie
Narrated by: Cris Dukehart
This is an awesome start to a new series! Robin's parents die and she has to live with her uncle, but he doesn't seem so honest. She finds out he has a demon trapped in the library. He tells her never to go in the library again! Well, you know she did! That's when things go crazy! Exciting, suspenseful, thrilling, and funny! Can't wait for the next book!
Narration was terrific!
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Okay, this was so so SO good. I really, really, REALLY hope the author continues many books with this character, Robin. Fascinating, I love her and Zyla. Perfection! :)
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Taming Demons for Beginners was a ton of fun, action packed and impossible to put down. Just from that first chapter I was hooked and I screamed out loud best chapter ever! Oh my gosh you guys, Annette Marie knows how to pull you in and continually have you begging for more. The storyline was addictive, the characters lept from the pages and she created a world I never wanted to leave. This book is for everyone out there that loves to say just one more chapter, and then before you know it you'v ...more
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

This book was worth the time I waited for the audio book to release and SO much more! This is the kind of book I want to read all year round! It was suspenseful and action-packed with quirky characters who shouldn't fit together but still find a way to make it work!

Robin was such a good character! She's the last thing you expect when you think of a demon contractor but her dynamic with Zylas is incredible! I love that she's an introvert who has a hard time standing up fo
Tracy D.
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A monster before me. Monsters of a different sort behind me. I had seconds to choose my executioner.

Meet Robin Page:

A 20 year old sorceress that swore to her mother she would never use magic. 6 months prior, her parents met their untimely end. Now Robin is living with her uncle and his family. Unfortunately, her uncle has withheld her inheritance, sold her parent's home out from underneath her, and refuses to give her the priceless heirloom that is more important to her than anything else - her
AMY ♔♔Got the attention span of a hummingbird♔♔
YA isn't my cuppa, but this one
Isn't overpriced
Isn't lame PG13, it's not afraid of going dark
and it's ANETTE MARIE!!!
Seriously she's an amazing writer!!!

Guys!! If you haven't read anything by Anette Marie you're missing out!!!
Nicci
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First up, let me say that even though this IS a sister series to the Guild Codex: Spellbound series and they do intersect you don't need to know a single thing about the other series to read and enjoy this one. In other words, if you are new to Annette Marie and the Guild Codex world, have no fear!

Secondly, I love the Guild Codex Spellbound series so when I found out there was going to be a sister series I was both crazy nutso excited but also trepidatious.
It may be the same world and it may ti
Lesley
4.0. This sister series to the Spellbound series is just as fun, and the heroine is even more relatable.

Plot:
Recently orphaned Robin stumbles into the world of contracting when she finds an imprisoned demon.

Characters:
When we meet Robin, she is a sad, lonely bookworm, who is staying with verbally abusive family members in hopes of finding her mother's grimoire. As the story progresses, and she forms a shaky alliance with the demon Zylas, we see her turn into a quick-thinking, loyal, protective f
Hilda
“Mercy is for the weak, payilas.”
“The weak can’t afford mercy.” I met his eyes.
“I think we can.

This quote describes Robin and Zylas’s relationship perfectly. She is his moral compas because azulas, a demon, doesn’t have one. What he does have is a fondness for small creatures to protect and cookies. Which works out perfectly for Robin in her time of need.

I’m not going to lie in the beginning I wanted to DNF this book. I was so frustrated with Robin and her self help books and cowardice. But
Emma
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, magic, demons
4.5 stars. I’m a real sucker for Anne Marie’s UF take on demons!
AMY ♔♔Got the attention span of a hummingbird♔♔
When your friends recommend the best books of the Kindle Unlimited selection

It was already on my list but Kenziey chan is a great friend and sent a rec my way. I have the coolest friends!!!

GUUUYSS, If you haven't read anything by Annette Marie sensei you're really missing out!!! Who are your so-called "friends" that don't recommend the best books out there?

If this is half as good as all the other books by Annette Marie sensei Taming demons is gonna be AMYZING!!!

Love you Kenziey
Arunima
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All urban fantasy fans
* Read under POPSUGAR READING CHALLENGE 2020 for - A book with a made up language *

description

This book was everything I had thought it would be and so much more.

Okay, so before I begin my review, I'd like to clear some things.

Yes, this is a spin-off series to Spellbound series and can be read as a standalone series, in the sense that you don't need to read Spellbound in order to understand it. Though I would advise against it.

So even though both the series are independent and can be read s
Poplora
I had loads of fun. The characters are charming, I can definitely relate to the MC. After a long bout of super strong, self assured lady leads, it was a nice breath of fresh air to experience someone who is more relatable. Socially awkward, timid, and a tiny rebellious streak (view spoiler)

This book also made me crave cookies like mad.

Mm. C
Jacob Proffitt
This is first in a UF series, but it's the same setting as the author's Spellbound series and has some of the same characters and places. I would definitely recommend reading these in combined order, but that may just be because I like Tori more and wouldn't want to skip her. The events of this story actually overlap with Demon Magic and a Martini and frankly, I think it'd be better to read this one before that one as it'd support the dramatic tension of both books better.

I had a much harder tim
☕️Kimberly
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Robin Page, recently lost both of her parents. She moved into her uncle’s home with his wife, stepson and daughter. Her Uncle is the executor of her late parent’ will and hasn’t released their things to her including funds. However, she is more interested in a family heirloom. While looking for it she discovers her Uncle is summoning demons. Robin doesn’t practice magic, neither did her parents… but there is so much Robin doesn’t know.

The tale that unfolds was insanely addictive. I loved the fam
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

Annette Marie has been on my TBR list foreverrrr, and I was so happy to finally get my hands on one of her books for a blog tour!

Taming Demons for Beginners was EVERYTHING I'd hoped for and more. I absolutely loved it. The writing was amazing and I really got sucked into the plot! There was lots of action and was fast moving. I couldn't put it down.

Robin Page, accidental demon contractor. She finds herself living with her Uncle and his family, where she befriends a demon t
SheLove2Read
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Fantastically fun read! I could not put it down. 5 stars
Maia
***4 YA happy stars***
It's been a while since I've dived into the YA fantasy with a hint of romance genre.
Highly recommended this book for fans of Mortal Instruments, A Court of Thorns & Roses, Hush Hush etc.
Not sure what's ahead in the trilogy, I'm excited to find out but as far as this book is concerned it's strictly YA. There's a hint of romance...I think. But no explicit scenes yet, not even a kiss or an almost kiss. We're in the build up stage. And I'm a big fan of real slow burn in a sea
Gaby★Me Myshelf and I★

I knew I was going to love this spinoff! Assuming the book was going to be half as good as those covers how could it not be?

My face the whole time be like

I’ve read the Guild Codex series and I’m obsessed with Tori’s story so when I found out there was going to be a series for the small contractor and demon brought into book 4, well I knew it was gonna be good! Annette Marie truly is one of my all time favourite authors.
For a newbie reading this story is probably would be a 4 star but for fans
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
3.5 stars, rounded up for being fun and well-written.

The heroine, Robin, annoyed me in the beginning; she cries often, is deeply non-confrontational, and makes some pretty dumb decisions. But I really had to cut her some slack. She's twenty years old, newly orphaned, and just generally a more reserved and submissive heroine than the feisty arse-kickers who usually populate urban fantasy novels like this one. That didn't make her a bad heroine. On the contrary, she grew on me a lot, and I really
Sarah Leenart
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sigh. Why oh why did I stay up reading until 2am last night? It means that it's all over and I can't read it for the first time again. So so good though, every single word is like a gift. Words can't describe how much I love everything this author puts out there and this book proves her mastery yet again.

Robin was introduced at the end of Demon Magic and a Martini in the most awesome style ever and I couldn't wait to meet her. She is shy, introverted and would rather bake or have her nose in a b
Andrea
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

This book was a whole lot of fun! I really enjoyed the characters, the magic system, and the mystery of demon summoning.

RTC

• Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Magic Redeemed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #2)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance, #1)
  • Blood Trial: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • Spiked (Sundance #1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
  • Vampire Debt: Supernatural Battle (Vampire Towers #2)
  • Heart of the Thief (The Wardbreaker #1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Warrior Fae Trapped (Warrior Fae, #1)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy #1)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she intends to include th

The Guild Codex: Demonized (4 books)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Delivering Evil for Experts (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #4)

News & Interviews

“Must I keep you from all hurt?” he mused, as though there’d been no pause in our terse exchange. “Or only keep you alive?” 6 likes
“Most people couldn’t have ignored a demon sharing the library with them, but most people didn’t love books as much as I did.” 6 likes