Start by marking “Null and Void: A Royal States Novel” as Want to Read:
Null and Void: A Royal States Novel

Null and Void: A Royal States Novel

(Royal States #2)

In the Royal States of America, magic rules all, but life—and love—always finds a way.

Born without magic, Mackenzie Little has few prospects. In a futile attempt to break her out of the null caste, her mother ropes her into participating in a charity auction, where anything can be bought with enough money.

She never expected her ex-boss, Dylan Mason, an elite with a lov
Published September 18th 2018 by Pen & Page Publishing (first published November 15th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Null and Void, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Null and Void

Start your review of Null and Void: A Royal States Novel
Jacob Proffitt
This has a really problematic series sequence. This book was written and released first by a couple of years. But it features characters from Storm Called which is not only internal-chronology first, but listed first in the series. Unfortunately, the cover copy for Storm Called says "Storm Called features characters first introduced in Null & Void, the first of the Royal States novels." So that makes me think you should read this one first. Which I did. And now regret because I know all about th ...more
Mara
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
First, don't let the cover or else misguide you. This is samewhat plain romance, there's really not much UF or paranormal. Yes, in theory you are in a world where magic rules, but it doesn't really impact the story. It's just a backdrop.

This is a story that had much potential both as a PNR and in plot. But unfortunately it's totally wasted, and by 40% of the book you realize it. Sadly.
In theory it touches racism, poverty, class society. In reality? Not so much.

This is fantasy and not as in genre
Somia
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Dejected Stars

The book started well and indicated a plot filled with magic and romance where issues of power, prejudice and class discrimination would be weaved through the story – all of which had me interested, but as the book progressed one phrase kept going through my mind oh poop. There is way too much telling in this book, we rarely see things occur, there were some instance where we see the horrible way in which Nulls (like the heroine) are viewed, the prejudice they face, but not poten
Lexie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-in-series
Ok folks. I feel horribly misled here.

This cover promises me AT THE LEAST urban fantasy fun, but the book does it level best to keep all of that out of here.

The description promises me a MC who has it rough and has to navigate a society where she's barely worth knowing, but the book only shows that in how much she complains about being a Null.

The romance that could have been is both underwhelming and far too present as the "hero" seems to be such a BIG DEAL in the MC's thoughts, but not such a b
Loriidae
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Peters
3.5

I have FEELINGS ok.
So, overall, I really enjoyed this book. I never thought I'd say this about a book that I enjoyed but I really wish that it was shorter. Like, 100 pages shorter. Maybe it's because I'm not a horse person. Maybe it's because i give zero farts about horses. Maybe it's because I wish the author had spent more time actually explaining how the Royal States of America functioned rather than talking about Pat's obsession with horses. (HOW DOES THE ROYAL FAMILY PAY FOR EVERYTHING
Natalie panda eyes
Set years after the first one so plenty of kids running around. Nice to see Pat again, still with the yams and chicken. I liked the story, especially the dream stuff, bit obvious but fun, if not terrifying. That is one scary mature child. Poor Geoff.
Lori S.
2.75 stars - Bought this book on a whim and because the summary sounded interesting. It's very rare for me to read straight up m/f anyway, but I thought, what the heck? So I gave it a shot.
Note: this story (is supposed to be) set in a post-apocolyptic world where magic upset the old balance and helped to create a new world ruled by 12 royal families and people capable of wielding magic.

This book is supposedly a PNR, but since we never get much of a demonstration of magic until the very end of th
Marianne
Cheesy goodness. I am however, detracting one star due to MacKenzie's tstl attitude. Who in their right mind would not expect a certain king to be you-know-who after all the hints they dropped. Come on, that drawn out reveal was so unnecessary.
Anita
Generally speaking, I'm a fan of this author (she also goes by RJ Blain and possibly some other names.) She always tries to be funny in her books, with some significant success, but she has some areas for improvement as an author. She wastes a lot of words on repetitive dialogue. (For example - two characters were talking, then someone else walks into the room, so the character starts over to bring the new character up to speed on the conversation. Problem: the reader already HAS that informatio ...more
T.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Null and Void was an absolutely awesome read (in fact, I immediately went to my eRetailer and bought the rest of her books--which messed up this month's book budget).

Two words: Goat dowry.

This book is all about the characters and relationships. While the heat level never exceeds simmer, the romance and tension is heated. I laughed so hard at the relationship between Mireya and Mackenzie, and Mackenzie and everyone else. And the goat votes will make you laugh even more. Yeah, some of the plot w
P Henderson
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: RJ Blain fans
I am somewhat conflicted about this book. I enjoyed reading it, I might even read it again sometime. It was a fun read, with great characters and dialog. The cute quirkiness of most of the major characters is a Hallmark of this author (for all of her pseudonyms). The plot was decent. Not earth-shattering but with enough twists to feel as though something actually happens)

The worldbuilding is barely adequate at best. There's enough info for a reader to get a feel for things, but it falls apart m
M.A.SPRIGGS
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance with a twist

I loved the Royal States world building and was highly entertained by the quirky characters. I enjoyed this book. Even though it got a bit repetitive in the middle and could have had some areas cut, there was still something about it that captured my interest. An entertaining romance.
Shasha
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, hea
Fantastic

I'm really excited about the alternate fantasy future this story is set in. If you like Ilona Andrews paranormal romance series, you will like this.

The sexual tension is delicious, all while keeping the bedroom door closed. The family dynamic is humorous and precious. The supporting characters are solid. The foreshadowing helped me to figure out the mystery before the heroine, but that was part of making it funny.

I anticipate the next book!
Jeanne
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though there were some weak spots I really enjoyed the book! It was a bit weird but fun read :D
Cas Meadowfield
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Re-read four times.
Diane
3.33 stars Goodreads; 3.75 stars Amazon. Fun, w/likable, if implausibly slow-to-catch-on, lead.

The world is similar in some ways to that of Ilona Andrews's Hidden Legacy (a system dominated by a small number of families with magical heritage), but this is much less an action fantasy. It's a little bit Cinderella, though part of that trope is given a twist.

I find it implausible that a woman so politically canny and determined would remain willfully ignorant about the royals, and even the Royals
Cindy
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the distant past magic rose and the world crashed - taking the United States with it. At some point powerful family talents took power and created the Royal States out of the areas they organized out of the chaos. They retained the US names although not necessarily the boundaries - for example New York contains Maryland. At the time of the story everything has settled down – no zombies, no screaming thugs – but magic is power and being without magic [a null] makes you less than nothing. And, ...more
Sandra
This was so good I had to read it again as soon as I finished reading it the first time.

Please be aware that the h is definitely OTT but generally smart & feisty. She does have medical probs & gets a little whiny but its pretty funny overall. Had a smile for most of the book after the Auction.
Carrie Gulledge
Well.

I am completely unsure of what I think of this book. I'm not even sure whether the rating I gave it is what I really want to rate it or not. Props to Susan Copperfield for completely baffling me.

For the first 50 percent of this book, I vacillated between DNF'ing and pushing forward. I struggled with how completely unrealistic all of the characters actions were, their reasons for said actions, their interactions with each other, etc etc. I was SO frustrated.

At about 50 percent, I walked aw
Frances Law
Dryly funny.

In a dystopian North America magic is the norm and the United States have become the Royal States. If you have no magic you are a null. It doesn't matter how intelligent you are you will go nowhere fast. Mackenzie Little is a null, just as her parents are and their parents before them. Mackenzie had a business degree but works on data analysis and spread sheets
until, one day, she snaps and walks out. She has already come to the notice of her boss, Dylan Mason, who tells her that he i
Sydney
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Null and Void is the first installment of the Royal States series written by Susan Copperfield.

I find it utterly confusing to have been greeted with such low reviews for a really fantastic read, in my opinion.

In 100% honesty, I was expecting more on the paranormal front and in this case it happened to be more of a background into the lives of the MCs. I do think this book is perfect without it, as this is an amazing romance.

I adored the mother daughter relationship Mackenzie and Mireya Little
Sandra
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
It was interesting and I liked the world with US states as kingdoms ruled by magic users. I did felt it dragged a bit and was quite drawn out. It also annoyed me how long it took for her to figure out who he was and I didn’t like the way he and her daughter where conspiring behind her back. I have no problem with them building a relationship –it was just the sneaky manipulative behaviour that went with this that made me uncomfortable. And speaking of uncomfortable there was that whole relationsh ...more
Kate
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now become one of the best books i have read this year. Susan Copperfield’s writing in this book will grab you by your seat and wont let you go. The book i freaking laughed from page one all the way to the end. The sass that Mac has and her kid, oh lord i wanna be her when i grow up.

This book was fantastic and Mac was a character that was sooo well developed that i wish i could meet her in real life to become friends.

In the world now magic power and strength rules all and if you don’t
Ro El
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
The world is interesting. A magical United States, some kind of plague/event and it comes unglued into several large, independent kingdoms. There is a caste system based (of course) on magical power/talent. Our main character is a "null" (a person who should have magic, but doesn't) , which puts her at the bottom, doing office grunt work and scraping by.

This all changes when she quits her job and her mom buys her a ticket for a super sketchy sounding charity auction and, hey, her boss buys her
Kei
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is fun. It is heartwarming. It has a badass main character who works her ass off in not easy situations. It has a crowd of lovable and too-good-to-be-true side characters. I'm a fan.

I also have to say that I made my experience reading this better and more exiting by avoiding spoilers, and because I had no idea where the book was going to go for the whole first part of it. I thought this was one of the most unpredictable books I've read, since it's wasn't before about page 120 that I begun to
Lara
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good not great

I love this author. I've enjoyed her books and so I usually buy them. This one was only ok. The plot was extremely slow and the story could have been told without quite a bit of the filler. However, the story needed to have more detail so that questions could be answered. I felt like the story ended when we were getting to the good part and as a romance, the love interests spent way too much time apart. Also, it is far fetched to think that if a father is absent from a child's life
tooter
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not going to finish it.....

Everything started out very promising with interest in the plot and the characters, but slightly more than halfway thru I feel like I’ve been reading this book forever. The situations feel super contrived and very transparent. Everyone around her loves her to death and will do absolutely anything for her. Everybody knows everything about her business and what’s going on, down to the 15 year old crown prince knowing she threw a stapler at her boss the day before.
For me
Trish
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun speculative fiction series that focuses on a number of societal failings. Magic and the fall of the USA has lead to the formation of a coalition of kingdoms loosely organized into the Royal States of America. The stronger a person's magic, the higher their caste is, and the monarchs have the most powerful magic of all. "Nulls," those without any magic, are considered to be the lowest of lows and are treated abominably. This series focuses on characters' attempts to right a number o ...more
Airwreckah
Readable and the writing is good but the plotting is totally unbalanced and the pacing is out of whack- lots sections that go nowhere, diversions and filler make lots skimmable- the big reveal is waaaaaay to obvious and too long in coming and the explanations are totally unsatisfying.

Really it needs a strict editor - something great and unique could be crafted but it needs a lot of cutting.

I dnfd it at some point when I decided that I could not bear the skimming anymore and I concluded the story
« previous 1 3 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy fiction/king or duke of Montana. [s] 4 20 Feb 01, 2019 08:46PM

• Fowl Play (Magical Romantic Comedies, #5.5)
  • Blending In (Magical Romantic Comedies, #6)
  • Owl Be Yours (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4.5)
  • Cheetahs Never Win (Magical Romantic Comedies, #7)
  • Hearth, Home, and Havoc (Magical Romantic Comedies, #2.5)
  • Burn, Baby, Burn (Magical Romantic Comedies, #8)
  • The Run Around
  • Serial Killer Princess (Magical Romantic Comedies, #3)
  • Whatever for Hire (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4)
  • Water Viper (Jesse Alexander #1)
  • Booked for Murder (Vigilante Magical Librarians, #1)
  • Grave Humor (Magical Romantic Comedies, #10)
  • Double Trouble (Magical Romantic Comedies, #9)
  • Hoofin' It (Magical Romantic Comedies, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Lowrance Vampires #1)
  • No Kitten Around (Magical Romantic Comedies, #5)
  • Last but not Leashed (Magical Romantic Comedies, #4.75)
  • Hypnos (Seeking the Zodiacs #1)
Susan Copperfield is the royal romance, urban fantasy loving alter ego of award-winning & USA Today bestselling novelist R.J. Blain.

Under the super not-so-secret identity of Susan, the Royal States of America is explored, where the work of sixteen founding royal families preserved the United States from destruction and civil war when magic swept over the world.

In the Royal States, life, love, and

Royal States (7 books)
  • Storm Called (Royal States, #1)
  • The Captive King (Royal States, #3)
  • A Guiding Light (Royal States, #4)
  • Huntress (Royal States, #4)
  • Bonds (Royal States, #6)
  • Cold Flame (Royal States, #7)

News & Interviews

“What sort of child asks for a prospective stepfather’s sperm count?” my boss read. He sucked in a breath. “Mackenzie! That email’s from…” I pushed my chair from my desk and oozed to the floor, where I pounded my fist into the carpeting. “His Royal Majesty of Montana.” 1 likes