Start by marking “Recursion” as Want to Read:
Recursion

Recursion

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  182,529 ratings  ·  23,113 reviews

'Recursion takes mind-twisting premises and embeds them in a deeply emotional story about time and loss and grief and most of all, the glory of the human heart' Gregg Hurwitz, international bestselling author of Orphan X

A breathtaking exploration of memory and what it means to be human, Recursion is the follow-up novel to the smash-hit thriller, Dark Matter, by Blake Crouc

Published June 13th 2019 by Macmillan (first published June 11th 2019)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Recursion, please sign up.
Trish No, but since there are 11 days left until Recursion releases, and Dark Matter is an AWESOME book, you might as well...

·  182,529 ratings  ·  23,113 reviews

Start your review of Recursion
Nilufer Ozmekik
Congratulations for winning of best sci-fi category from goodreads choice awards 2020! This is one of my favorite books of the year!

Five OMG I’m suffering from brain cells bleeding and explosion of my last standing grey cells, what the hell I just read and who am I ? stars!

I know the drill but let me rephrase one more time! This is not an easy, soft, sunshine and rainbows reading!

In my opinion people who are brave enough to dive into this journey should put themselves an IQ test and discover t
Emily May
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sci-fi
But what do you cling to, moment to moment, if memories can simply change. What, then, is real?

Imagine you woke up one morning and discovered that your entire life - your job, your kids, your friends, all your experiences - wasn't real. It still feels real. You remember it vividly. But you also suddenly remember another life; your real life. And you are told that the life you remember is a result of FMS (False Memory Syndrome)-- an illusion created by your brain.

I don't know about you, but t
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
UPDATE: IT'S OUT!! Go read it so we can all gush about it!!

(4.5) As always, Crouch knows how to keep you on your toes and does a great job at mixing thriller and sci-fi genre.

A mysterious disease starts affecting people’s memory, giving them memories of a life they never lived. NYPD detective Barry Sutton is trying to investigated how the False Memory Syndrome is spreading and ultimately will come to face Helena Smith a neuroscientist who invented a device that’s changing the world.

Recursion wil
chai ♡
me: *finishes reading any book by Blake Crouch*

me: hey what the fuck…..
me: [on the train] what the fuck…
me: [at dinner] what the fuck…
me: [trying to sleep] what the fuck….
me: [in the shower] what the fuck….
me: [breathing] whAt tHe FuCk
Matthew
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Pink Floyd - Time

I am just going to say it – Blake Crouch is t
Chelsea Humphrey
"Everything will look better in the morning. There will be hope again when the light returns. The despair is only an illusion, a trick the darkness plays."

I'm convinced that Blake Crouch is THE science fiction/fantasy author of our time. You know, the one that readers pre-order their books without reading the description, the one that 50 years from now people are still talking about, dissecting his plot points and their dual meanings? Yeah, that's Crouch. If you don't agree, then that's ok, I'll
Petrik
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Recursion has become the first sci-fi standalone to be included in my favorite shelves.

As many readers probably did, my first experience with reading Crouch’s work was for Dark Matter. I was super impressed by it and after hearing that the author has a new sci-fi thriller that’s highly recommended for readers who loved Dark Matter gave me so much joy; it would be insane for me to not take a look at Recursion. Do note that taking a look at Crouch’s novel can be surmised as reading the novel non-s
Melissa
Creative. Though-provoking. Emotionally-charged. Memorable.

Whether you’re a reader that frequents the sci-fi genre, or one that only occasionally takes a risk when it comes to the suspension of disbelief (hello, that’s me!), recognizing and appreciating the level of creativity behind Blake Crouch’s work takes little effort. Time and again, Crouch has proven just how rewarding it can be to take a chance on something different. Something totally outside of my typical. With Dark Matter (one of my a
Yun
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh gosh, I'm slightly shocked that I didn't love Recursion. I've been looking forward to this ever since I read Dark Matter, so to say I'm a bit disappointed is an understatement.

(Note: As usual, this is a 100% spoiler-free review. However, I couldn't talk about the book without referencing some events in it, so I've very carefully spoiler-tagged everything. You are safe to proceed if you haven't read the book. Just don't click on the spoilers.)

The premise is certainly intriguing enough. Detecti
j e w e l s
FIVE MIND-BENDING STARS

Book readers tend to throw around words like “addictive” and “unputdownable”. But, I'm dead serious about those words. And guys, I’m here to tell you, I read RECURSION straight through dinner last night until I finished at three am this morning. What an intelligent and freakin’ addictive thriller!

The first half sets up the rest of the book and it is crucial to read carefully and try to understand the very simple quantum physics necessary to travel around in time. LOL.😂

I fi
MarilynW
I'm looking forward to reading more books by Blake Crouch because I enjoyed Recursion so much. We follow NYPD Barry Sutton and neuroscientist Helena Smith through decades and decades and decades of memories. They know the world is being destroyed due to Helena's invention and they try over and over to stop the destruction, with heartbreaking results, each time.

Helena invented a "memory" chair that was intended to allow a person to save memories for later when they might be suffering from dement
Susanne
3 Stars.

What can I say about Blake Crouch’s new book Recursion? Well, it’s got “a Whole Lotta Crazy Going On!”

Can you say, do-over? Are your memories to be trusted? What happens if your memories are replaced with new ones and you keep re-living your life over and over?

Just ask NYPD Detective Barry Sutton, whose life has been in tatters for the last several years, ever since the death of his daughter Meghan. When he is called to the scene of a potential suicide, he learns of something called
Debbie
The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense.

That’s an editor’s joke and it always cracks me up; I love how clever it is. Well, with this book, the past, present, and future walked into my head, and it was tense, all right, but not a good tense. It was tense because I was friggin’ confused. And nothing about it cracked me up or made me think it was clever.

Well, I lie. At the beginning I was all gung-ho. The opening scene is a killer—a likeable cop, Barry, is trying to ta
megs_bookrack
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Neuroscientific Thriller for the record books. I feel like I just awoke from a fever dream. Recursion, wow!

What in the actual heck just happened?!

The possibility of this fictional scenario playing out in a future world is utterly terrifying to me. Can you even imagine?

Maybe you don't know what Recursion is about. Honestly, I am not sure I am the person to tell you what it's about, but I shall give it a whirl.

Basically, this novel follows two characters, Helena Smith and Barry Sutton.

Helena is
Paromjit
Blake Crouch's latest science fiction thriller is a complex mind messing of a thought provoking read. It is intense, time shifting and asks profound questions of identity, memory, and what it is that makes us human. Just be prepared to find yourself buffeted all over the place. I understand that the novel is going to be filmed, and I am not surprised by this, this is a twisted story that just fizzes with energy and vitality. NYPD police officer Barry Sutton tries but fails to prevent a woman lea ...more
Debra
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."
- George Orwell, 1984

This was a book I had to sit and think about before writing my review, mainly because I had to let it sink it. What would it be like to live your life over again? What would it be like to go back and change past events? How would this action affect your future? How would it affect the future of others? This book is deep and is thought provoking.

Blake Crouch has written a very ambit
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)

“There is no past.”

Recursion is a provocative and mind-bending read about nonlinear time, the fluidity of memory, and the power of love.

In Recursion, a scientific invention allows for one to go back in time and save a life or prevent a tragic event from occurring. But changing the past has serious consequences in the present. False Memory Syndrome emerges resulting in suicides, bombings, and nuclear war. To stop the destruction of the chair, multiple timelines are created, leading
Holly  B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark, sci-fi thriller that had my mind bending in many directions!

From the author of  Dark Matter , which has been on my reading list for some time, but still haven't read it yet.

Would you like a do-over of your life?   Hmm, that seems like a loaded question and it is! This was quite an edge of your seat, genre crossover that had me needing answers and quick.

A brilliant neuroscientist Helena Smith, has developed technology that will redefine how we think about time and memory.  Play
Dr. Appu Sasidharan

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past. -George Orwell, 1984”

A pandemic-like situation in which no one knows the mode of spread. A cataclysmic event called False Memory Syndrome where victims get entire new memories of things they haven't experienced. A New York City, Detective Barry Sutton, is embarking on a mission to unravel the truth with Neuroscientist Helena Smith.

This was an extraordinary plot narrated in the best way
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Crown Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

This book was sent to me by the publisher! If you would like to know how to get ARCs and review copies, feel free to watch my video, Advanced Reader Copies 101!

----------

[12/10/19] - Congratulations, Blake Crouch, on winning the 2019 Goodreads Choice Award for Science Fiction!

----------
re·cur·sion
/re-ker-zhun/
noun
the repeated application of a recursive procedure or definition.

Have you ever had one of th
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
YAY! The proud GR 2019 Choice winner! For once, I'm in agreement with the voting!

Q: “You won’t even recognize me.”
“My soul knows your soul. In any time.” (c)
Q:
“This is some kind of hell,” she says, dark. “Ready to come down to the lab and kill me again, darling?” (c)

Don't let any chairs destroy the world. Even cushy ones.

A bit disjointed but nevertheless engrossing read.

The end... Hmmm, so did they live happily ever after or did the whole rigmarole restart?

Q:
I don’t want to look back anymore. I’
Lisa of Troy
Sep 08, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blake Crouch does it again!

Barry Sutton is working as a New York City cop when he receives a call about a woman with False Memory Syndrome, ready to jump from a building. She is remembering a prior life that she never had. What will Barry discover in his investigation?

Helena Smith is a neuroscientist working on a device that can preserve memories. She hopes to be able to save her ailing mother or at least record her memories before her mind deteriorates. Will she be successful and what is her co
Bradley
I have no problems in announcing that this book ought to be a multi-multi-billion-dollar bestseller.

Maybe I'm biased, too, but damn, this guy can write a great novel that tickles all my SF bones and reminds me how much I love well-crafted thrillers. Does this remind you of his Dark Matter? It should.

And if you loved the ideas behind The Butterfly Effect, Flatliners, and Groundhog Day, I'm certain you're going to fall head-over-heels for this novel.

Am I giving too much away? No. Probably not. T
BernLuvsBooks
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-reads, 2019
Blake Crouch has done it again!!! Recursion was fascinating, confusing and brilliant!

Dark Matter is one of my favorite sci-fi books of all time so I was almost scared to delve into Recursion - nervous it wouldn't live up to my expectations for Crouch. This book was ambitious. Thankfully, I had nothing to fear. Mr. Crouch's brilliant mind hasn't failed us yet.

Recursion deals with memory - preserving memory, and using it to shift our reality. What a roller coaster ride this was. Can you imagine g
Rebecca (on a review writing break!)

An epidemic called False Memory Syndrome (FMS) is spreading and causing people to go mad. It’s victims remember aspects of a life they never had, and it feels so real that the false life and their real life are completely indistinguishable. After failing to rescue a woman who jum
Barbie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
I chose Recursion to be my first read by Blake Crouch and I definitely didn't regret it. Dark Matter is on my TBR for ages so it will be my next read by him.
I don't read sci-fi nevertheless I was entertained by this one.
At first, the whole book was so confusing. I don't understand anything about it, lol. I read it. I kept going. Then finally, I realized the concept.
I have to tell you this is a brilliant and mind-blowing idea and I totally loved it.
I thought a lot abo
Elyse Walters
Wow....I didn’t even think I was going to like this book....I’m not a die-hard science fiction fan..... but ‘occasionally’ I’ll take the plunge. I found “Recursion”, fascinating- and it kept me hooked.....
I didn’t expect any of this....this much enjoyment. It got me thinking of things I never do: parallel universes... physics...time....space...energy... Philosophy....the different universes within the multiverse.....and False Memory Syndrome.....(woke-up my imagination neurons)....and all that
Felicia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Black Mirror served as a surrogate for Groundhog's Day and Back to the Future, Recursion would be that test tube baby.

This one starts out with a bang, or more like a plunk, as the story opens with a woman jumping from a building to her death, but not before she utters the words "My son has been erased." to Detective Barry Sutton.

What follows is two storylines, one where Barry searches for the meaning behind the woman's final words and one where researcher Helena Smith is developing a means t
Kaceey
Helena is a gifted neuroscientist trying to develop a way to preserve memories. It’s personal for her. Her mother has Alzheimer’s. Helen is quickly running out of both time and funding. But at what price is she willing to move ahead?

Barry is a New York City policeman. He’s called to help talk down a woman threatening to jump from a building as she suffers from False Memory Syndrome.
So little is known about this condition. Is it contagious? Is he willing to put his own life at risk to save her?

I
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars, rounding up. On sale now! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description
A sort of memory chair ...

Recursion begins with a dual timeline in alternating chapters, a familiar literary approach, but then splinters into razor-sharp time shards as the characters deal with the explosive consequences of a new technology relating to personal memory.

In November 2018, detective Barry Sutton attempts to prevent a woman from jumping from the 41st floor of a New York City tower. The woman, Ann, tells
Undead & UnRead B...: * November - Recursion 7 5 Nov 07, 2022 01:30PM
Goodreads Librari...: [DONE CLOSED] please add new Edition of this book 9 29 Oct 13, 2022 03:37PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Recursion by Blake Crouch - Restarting September 1st 2022 44 108 Sep 03, 2022 10:11AM
Give me something like this 8 73 Aug 31, 2022 02:18PM

• Matching Configurations (Quantum Roots, #3)
  • Project Hail Mary
  • Two Necromancers, a Bureaucrat, and an Elf (The Unconventional Heroes #1)
  • The Cyberiad
  • Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1)
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • Space Opera (Space Opera, #1)
  • Several People Are Typing
  • Artemis
  • Sea of Tranquility
  • Dear Wife
  • The Swallows
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • No Exit
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • The Gone World
See top shelves…
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more

Articles featuring this book

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
“Life with a cheat code isn't life. Our existence isn't something to be engineered or optimized for the avoidance of pain. That's what it is to be human - the beauty and the pain, each meaningless without the other.” 174 likes
“He has wondered lately if that's all living really is—one long goodbye to those we love.” 132 likes