Start by marking “Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)

Pathways

(The Kingdom Chronicles #1)

Eileen has never been interested in love. Ever since her father's abandonment, she's vowed to never experience such pain again. But the enchanted forest has different ideas. When the continuously shifting pathways lead her to a mysterious stranger, Eileen finds her promise to fiercely guard her heart increasingly difficult to keep.

One night when she becomes lost in a stor
Published February 4th 2019 by Rosewood Publications

To ask other readers questions about Pathways, please sign up.
Camille You can! :) "Pathways" is more of an introductory book since most of the characters featured in it will get their own story (I did that on purpose), a…moreYou can! :) "Pathways" is more of an introductory book since most of the characters featured in it will get their own story (I did that on purpose), and I'm planning on having as many of my past heroes and heroines make an appearance in future books as I can. :) But although the characters are interconnected and some elements from past stories are alluded to, I wrote each book free of major spoilers, so reading them out of order shouldn't be a problem! In fact, it may even be fun, as I foreshadow my future stories in subtle ways in each book. :) So far, I've written them all out of order anyway, so reading them that way shouldn't be much different. ;) (less)

Start your review of Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
Camille
My debut novel—the first in a series of fairy tale retellings—is very special to me. We’ve been on quite the journey together, one that, despite some obstacles, was overall fun and full of wonder as I watched the characters come to life and share their story with me. I hope those who read my book are able to experience the romance and fairy tale magic I did while writing it. :)

Update 21 October 2019:
After much thought, I decided to revise this book—not a rewrite, but to take the opportunity to
Finitha Jose
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have always been a fan of fairytale retellings in a medieval setting and this has been another addition to my favourites. Loosely based on 'The Princess and the Pea' and 'Rumpelstiltskin', Camille Peters has created an altogether wonderful story that will leave you enraptured.
Perfectly drawn characters (I adore them all) and a beautiful setting in the shape of an enchanting forest and a castle create a beautiful plot to soothe your heart. The forest cannot be counted as a character but it su
Katie W
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, this is one of the most beautiful covers that I've seen and it reflects the contents of this book perfectly. Secondly, I loved this story! Loosely based on The Princess and the Pea and Rumpelstiltskin, this charming tale captivated me from the first page.

Eileen and her love for the forest and its ever changing pathways was so intriguing, especially when she met a mysterious stranger. Can you imagine the paths changing each time you entered? Forests are so peaceful, yet there's always
Julie Carpenter
As I child, I would devour anything that had the word, “Fairytale,” attached to it. Maybe it was the little girl in me, or maybe it was my desire for good to conquer evil and true love to exist. For girls who were just like me to grow up and have their own fairytale and happy ending. It was all so magical and enchanting that I was drawn to it instantly. I wasn’t blind to the fact that hardships exist and life isn’t all fairies and roses but it was the hope for what was to come and that eventuall ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forests have always been magical in my imagination. This book brings the magic and majesty of forests to life for me.

Eileen lives next to a magical forest that takes her to beautiful and exciting places. The forest loves her and protects her. The forest brings her to what it knows will bring her joy, when it took her to Aiden she felt betrayed, not knowing that the forest really was looking out for her and helping her.

Eileen's heart was shattered when her father left on a trip and never returned
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I enjoy a good fantasy now and then, and I'm always up for a fairy tale retelling. I enjoyed the world building in this one, especially the enchanted forest which had its own personality. Eileen is a peasant living with her mother (never did figure out how they supported themselves) who spends all her time wandering, drawing, gossiping with her starry-eyed friend, and angsting over her father's disappearance. I thought her attitude and assumptions about his fate were immature, but this is a YA n ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Wow, I love this pretty cover! It is a perfect representation of what is inside this book. 😍

I thought this was a sweet story. I loved the whole idea and feel of the forest being a living entity- guiding, helping, responding. The forest gave Eileen a home- a place of refuge and security after she lost her father and I could really feel her attachment and love for it. The enchanted forest gave the story a magical and romantic feel.

The characters felt very young with some immaturity showing through
Annette
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a cute read. It had its own unique fairy tale vibe and I loved the description of the enchanted forest and how it played into the storyline. Their relationship did progress a little abruptly in the beginning and there were moments when I didn't love the main characters, but overall it was a fun read and something different.

Content: Clean.
Tiera McMillian
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: may-2019
This is a reinvention of The Princess and the Pea/Rumpelstiltskin apparently but in all honesty I really didn't see much of a retelling and almost no similarities. I only saw one Rumpelstiltskin reference and one real The Princess and the Pea similarity. Basically here we have one of those really teenage angst full, forbidden love type stories that really drug out the angst and goo goo eyes part and ends in a slammed door fact dump to tie up loose ends.

"I'm so sorry, Eileen. I'm so selfish. I n
Melissa
Apr 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read about 80% of this book and just couldn't read anymore. I put this down a couple times, but thought maybe it was just me. It was not. This book has a lot of promise and I think that is why I kept reading, I really wanted to like it and if it wasn't for the characters I would have. I liked the idea of the forest and the peasant girl losing her father and the prince who comes and falls in love with her. There is a fairy tell retelling of the princess and the pea thrown in and I was so wantin ...more
Emma Miller
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was SUCH a cute book! The characters were very well developed in the way that I could honestly relate with all of them. The supporting characters were just as endearing and helpful as the main characters and I enjoyed the dialogue and way things were described. Each decision was understood by the audience why it was made and the characters were overall just well rounded!
The descriptions of surroundings were impeccable, I could just see the environment and feel the feelings that were invoked
Christina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Fairytale Romance

I LOVED this fairytale romance!! The setting was so enchanting and beautiful, and the storyline was wonderfully unexpected. I really enjoy fairytale retellings and this was a fantastic one!

The forest was a favorite of mine in this tale- it was alive and had so much to do with the direction of the story. I thought the title and the theme of pathways was artfully woven through the story.

The two main characters were so likeable and relatable. I loved that both had their
Kristen
I found myself completely captured by this book. While I guessed who the Dark Prince was instantly it didn't bother me and I really enjoyed it, and would read it again. Can't wait to read more from this author.

Moral Note: Clean
Jane
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I tried really, really hard to enjoy this book. Peters' plot has some original and beautiful elements, but the execution is just bad. Painfully bad. The structure of this book is there, but every detail that makes the story fluid is inconsistent. Here are my two main exaples:
The monologue and dialogue are striving to be that kind of vaguely European, old-timey whimsical; but it feels like the author only remembers that writing style 10% of the time. It goes from, "I may be appeased if you tell
Dee/ bookworm
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-2019
Wonderful book! I was leery of trying it as it seems everything is a retold fairy tale lately but this one is unique and maybe inspired by a fairy tale, but really breathes a life of its own. Eileen is not your typical MC, she is a strong independent woman who lets everyone know it, especially Aiden. I really like how their first encounter goes completely wrong and they have to start from a negative place, go up an insurmountable mountain to a mutual understood friendship. I really like how Eile ...more
Tricia Mingerink
This is a really interesting fairy tale retelling. It is a loose mash up between the Rumpelstiltskin and the Princess and the Pea fairy tales. They work surprisingly well together, for all they seem like those fairy tales wouldn't work together.

I loved the magical forest in this book and I hope we get to see the forest again in the rest of the series. It was probably my favorite part of the whole book. I adore forests, especially magical ones (aren't all forests just a little bit magical?) so t
Kathleen Newberry Killgallon
This is a book that I just not get into, but I tried and found that I did not like Aiden far too full of himself. And I could see the characters having trouble saying how they felt and what they were thinking. I felt the entire book was strained.
Alli Cooper
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
So I have a lot of trouble reviewing this book because I think it could have been a 5 star read if some of the more teenage angsty bits had been removed.

Let's start with the amazing part: the Forest of my dreams.
Our main character lives on the edge of an Enchanted Forest. One that she is friends with, that can communicate vague feelings to her in the shake of its branches and the rustle of its leaves. How cool is that?? The Forest also develops and moves its paths as it pleases and guides the gi
Emily Flynn
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Talk about being sucked into a story. I was almost immediately drawn into this fairy tale world. The magic was perfect. The romance was engaging. I am so happy I read this one. The characters were perfectly flawed and I could relate to them so well. The mystery was beautifully woven into the story and I found myself wondering about things that were eventually answered for me. What a rich fairy tale world, I can't wait to go back, there are other heroes and Heroines I want to get to know more ful ...more
Charla
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are fun and delightful and they were well developed. I liked that it was only loosely based on an existing fairy tale and branch out in interesting ways to create romance and drama. I get really bored with the same re-telling over and over and this was fresh and new.

One of my favorite aspects of this story is that you can see where the story goes before the characters, which makes it fun to watch as the future unfolds for them.

I received an advanced
William
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful story of romance and adventure, centered in/near a magical forest that guides its travelers to discover not only its own enchantments, but also to find true love along the way. It is also a story of growth and overcoming one's weaknesses, and of going forward despite one's fears. Both of those things are inspirational to me, and I found myself relating to the characters and hoping for their success. An enjoyable journey to give hope to your heart!

I received an advanced reade
Cathy
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a good young adult novel. And the author gets bonus points if they include something to do with a fairy tale. I did like this one, but the first half or so was really hard for me to get into. It just seemed to start really slow plot wise.

I liked Eileen. She’s a young girl who lives by an enchanted forest. Eileen spends a lot of time in the forest sketching. She also spends time with her friend Rosie reading love stories. But Eileen never plans to marry. Her heart was broken by her father
Mary
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales, fantasy
Oooooh. I've found another 5 star gem!!! Love when I stumble across treasures like this! I saw the cover and was immediately enamoured (please can I live there??). Then I read the blurb and was intrigued. I wondered if the book would live up to my big expectations - and to my delight it did! Wow. Such a unique tale, with a deliciously mysterious vibe, which twists and turns unexpectedly like the pathways of the enchanted Forest. I love how it's based loosely on TWO fairytales (Rumplestiltskin an ...more
Peach
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid 3.5 stars for me. I’m not a frequent fantasy reader, but I’m glad I read this one. I adored the magical, sentient forest, such an intriguing concept. I didn’t love the characters at the beginning, but I loved how they grew and changed, and could appreciate who they became in the end. The beginning was slow going, and I had a lot of the plot easily figured out, but it was still a cute read, and I’ll prob read more of the series.

** I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for an ho
Stephanie
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ADORE the creativity in this book! The forest is so magical and has so many enchanting moments throughout the story. I loved being transported into a fairy tale theme as I read; it was a perfect escape into a sweet and charming era! I absolutely loved the direction the story went and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the adventure Eileen stumbled upon.

There are so many fun characters in the story, each with unique personalities! This is such a darling story about loyalty, romance, friendship
Heather
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A good first novel. I very much liked how the forest was a character. Sadly, the main character was about as perceptive as a rock. Literally no one who finished this book will be shocked to find out who the love interest really is.
Jessie
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great fairytale retelling! The concept of a sentient forest that led Eileen around was intriguing. Her first meeting in the forest was a little dark. I’m not really sure why weapons needed to be involved. I absolutely fell in love with the story once the forest led Eileen to the castle and she fell into the competition for the hand of the Dark Prince. I loved the tests, the friendships Eileen formed, and her secret meetings with the stranger from the forest.

Full of magic, mystery, an
Barbara Peters
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
THIS IS A DELIGHTFUL FAIRY TALE BOOK..
YHE CHARACTERS ARE WELL DEVELOPED AND REAL, AS WELL AS FUN..I LOOK FORWARD TO LEARNING ABOUT SOME OF THEM IF FUTURE BOOKS.
Heather Bane
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!!! It was such a sweet romance!!! I loved the characters especially Aiden and Eileen. I loved the settings. Gave the story such a fairytale/magical feel and really set your emotions for the story.

Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
I started this one not really knowing anything about it, but ended up loving it! Well written, this story is an interesting twist on fairy-tales, and I love the author's style! Camille Peters has created something all her own taking inspiration from stories like The Princess and the Pea” and "Rumpelstiltskin" she's worked magic, and I'm so happy I found this title!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Secret Princess: A Retelling of The Goose Girl (Return to the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • The Beast and the Beauty (Reversed Retellings, #2)
  • Till Midnight (Reversed Retellings, #1)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • The Lady and the Wish (Faraway Castle, #4)
  • Beast of Rosemead: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Fairytales of Folkshore, #4)
  • Queen of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #3)
  • Beauty of Rosemead: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Fairytales of Folkshore, #5)
  • Prince of Cahraman: A Retelling of Aladdin (Fairytales of Folkshore, #2)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Hunted: Alba's Story (Destined #5)
  • Betrayed: Ruby's Story (Destined, #4)
  • Princess of Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella (Fairytales of Folkshore, #6)
Camille Peters was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah where she grew up surrounded by books. As a child, she spent every spare moment reading and writing her own stories on every scrap of paper she could find. Becoming an author was always more than a childhood dream; it was a certainty.

Her love of writing grew alongside her as she took local writing classes in her teens, spent a year studyin

The Kingdom Chronicles (6 books)
  • Spelled (The Kingdom Chronicles, #2)
  • Identity (The Kingdom Chronicles #3)
  • Reflection (The Kingdom Chronicles, #4)
  • Enchantment (The Kingdom Chronicles, #5)
  • Voyage