Start by marking “Runaways (Orphans, #5)” as Want to Read:
Runaways (Orphans, #5)

Runaways

(Orphans #5)

The spellbinding Orphans series concludes in this thrilling new novel from V.C. Andrews(R)...
"All for one and one for all" was the girls' motto. In the grim foster home for orphans run by Louise and Gordon Tooey, at least Brooke, Crystal, Raven, and Butterfly had each other. Calling themselves "sisters," together they could forget the past and dream of a new chance...a r
Published November 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways

Jordyn Starks
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read a book called Runaways, by V.C Andrews. This book takes place in America in the past by like 10 years or so. The book is about four teenage girl orphans who live in a foster home with many other children. They are like sisters. The foster house is not the best whatsoever. They are constantly forced to clean and do not have a loving home. They are in constant fear of there foster "father" Gordon Tooey. He is a tough giant who is terrible and mean. One day the girls can not take it anymore. ...more
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
Had been hoping that Neiderman would have gone back to his usual good work after this. The Cutler and Landry series had been good books, and I have no idea why he decided to write this miniseries. If something is classic - and VCA was - then stick with it! This story of the Orphans was a mildly interesting read, more for teens, and not a good representation of the VCA name. The ending also felt rather rushed together, and the novel overall was very, very cheesy, especially with the hippie charac ...more
Michelle
You can run, but you can't hide!.

The story of VC Andrews' 4 Orphans, Crystal, Raven, Butterfly and Brooke, picks up about 3 years after they all meet at Lakewood House. They have become sisters, with bonds so deep that they can pull Butterfly out of comatose states with the power of their mantra.

Stuck under the supervision of an adoption sabotaging Foster Mom and a children hating creepy Foster Father, the Orphanteers decide to take their future into their own hands. Their plan to runaway work
Mindy
Oct 24, 2010 rated it liked it
A few errors in the book. When they initially leave they take food with them. Somehow that is forgotten for the rest of the book and they constantly waste money on eating in restaurants.

Also there was a page near the end where Brooke is talking to Raven. When she steps off the porch it's with Crystal. Then when conversation happens again it's Raven. I understand mistakes happen, I just wonder where the editor was.

I think it was an okay book. It's been awhile since I've read VC Andrews someone at
Maxine Livingstone
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again another Andrews book that I read as a child. To be honest besides the Baby Sitter club books that I fell in love with as a child because I loved the television show it was actually this book the very first book that I read by Andrews that re-awakened my love of reading as a young girl.
Crazy_smiler
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mackenzie
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
When my mother left, I laid claim to her books. This was how I ended up with a nearly-complete collection of VC Andrews's works. At the time, the Orphans series was my favorite. (Understandable when I look back at it from a psychological standpoint.) And while I don't necessarily dislike it now that I've read through it again as an adult, I can definitely appreciate all the criticisms I've come across.

For one, perhaps it has something to do with the POV not switching from girl to girl (as I wou
Kaitlyn
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been reading Runaways by V.C. Andrews which is about 4 orphan girls who act as sisters wanting to feel loved and to be adopted. This book is based off of 4 other books about the 4 girls’ past and how they all meet up, which is in the book Runaways. Why it’s called Runaways is because they hate where they live. Everyone is cruel and their foster parents only want money and a clean home. Even though it doesn’t feel like a home to the girls. So they decide to runaway to California and becom ...more
Jess
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
What does it say about me when my favorite V.C. Andrews novel is the one written by her ghostwriter ten years after her death?

I have to be honest--the only reason I love Runaways so much is because it is so very unlike many of Andrews other works. It isn't a family saga, for one thing. It doesn't have a waify, innocent young girl being assaulted by every male figure in her life. It doesn't have horrible, cringe-worthy sex scenes. It isn't stuffed with stiff, 1800's dialogue or dark mansions or d
Liz
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
The characters were not that believable. . . and too trusting and at times idiotic.
It was an OKAY book, not too good but not horrible. I found what I've read of the Gemini series to be awful compared to this series.
I like how Raven suddenly develops the talent for singing in the concluding book. I don't recall it saying anything about her "passion" for singing in her personal book.
And there always has to be molesty men every book. I guess its a V.C. Andrews trademark, but Neiderman just makes
Amanda
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Four Girls Band Together for Freedom

You may want to read the four books about each of the girls in this book before reading this, although I did read this novel first.
In a place where girls are casted aside, too old and unwanted for adoption, the place where these four girls end up seems to be one of the bad ones. I found myself hating what they were subjected to and rooting as they plotted, then escaped for freedom. Their journey to find the elusive freedom and themselves is undesirable. As
Krista Lynn
Years after reading the first 4 minibooks to this series, I finally got my hands on the 5th and final book- Runaways. I really enjoyed Brooke, Butterfly, Raven, and Crystal so naturally I was excited to read the last book where they all came together. I followed the 4 girls through their ups and downs in Runaways. I continually thought to myself while reading that if this story were true, I doubt many things would have gone as they did. Leaving me to feel the story was kind of unrealistic. I tho ...more
Kim Smiley
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites now, (but then again, they all end up being my favorite). All four girls decide to run away from the foster home they're living in after one of the girls almost gets molested by their foster father.

From the moment they take off, it is an adventure and they learn a lot of lessons along the way about the kindness of people, and how people can take advantage.

I do have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the ending of this book. Sometimes the author will leave you wishing thin
Tamikia
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was okay overall but I'll have to admit it's not GW's best work by a long shot. Plus I couldn't help but think that some of the girl's mistakes in this book was pretty laughable I mean come on, picking up a hitchhiker, stealing a credit card, which of course can be easily tracked, actually stealing a car?! Come on! Plus (and yes I get that they are orphans) but it seems like they wanted a pity party all of the time for their situation. I know it's sad but no one wants to feel sorry for ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Nov 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
When I read these novels back in the day I would have given them 3-3.5 STARS and now would say about one Star

I started reading VC Andrews books in the 1991 and stopped about 2003.

I have read:
-Hudson Series
-Shooting Stars Series
-DeBeers Series
-Broken Wings Series

As a preteen reading these novels was a rebellion and the gothic theme also seemed cool. I stopped reading this author because
Tracey
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dreamers
Recommended to Tracey by: KK
There is little I have to say for this book, but since I promised to write a review for novels I read, I'll write a few thoughts here.

There were some info dumps, tedious to read those. There was also a lot of telling rather than showing at the beginning but it got better somewhere in the middle.

The characters were okay. I didn't like Butterfly, though. I loved Brooke.

I needed to suspend disbelief throughout the whole book. It was close to realistic enough but also not quite. (view spoiler)
♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read this novel until a few years after I finished the first 4 of the series.

It was odd returning to the girls after they more or less managed to work through their problems. Especially when it turned out that their problems had only just begun. In this novel they all proceed to run away from the Home they get placed in, mainly because their guardians are getting a little touchy-feely.

But things on the road are not how the girls expected. And who but a group of naive girls would expect
Tyra
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All 4 orphans are brought together in this book, after, for 1 reason or another, things don't workout in their previous foster homes. The girls are very bonded; will stick together through thick & thin! They embark on an expedition not knowing what can lie ahead.
It's very recommended that you ready the 4 mini series prior to Runaways, bc the mini series tells each girls' own individual story.
Butterfly, Crystal, Brooke & Raven -- start there, & enjoy!
Dave Jackson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the books that shaped my childhood. I haven't read any of the other books in this series yet (since I haven't had the time, money, ability) to find them, but I didn't need to! I didn't even know this book was in a series until I got to the back cover and saw the list of the other books. It was a hand-me-down from my mother and I'm so glad she had me read it. It is absolutly amazing. I've read it more times then I can count, I would 100% reccomend it.
Hollydabchotmail.com
Aug 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
I am thinking there is more than one children’s novel, and that this is a series. The one I listen to on tape was good, but I was surprised it was a children's novel. There was a descriptive sex scene that I ended up fast forwarding through. This is a book I would not teach to students in the classroom
Jun 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first V.C. Anderws book, I read it when I was about twelve and have loved her ever since. She is like the jelly dought of literature, you know you shouldn't be reading it, you know that it's trash that will rot your mind but it's just so good! Look in between Kafka and Vonnegut sometimes I like to read something that requires no brain movement. don't judge me :)
Ashleigh
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
3.5 stars.

I was really disappointed with this book. Mainly, because Raven's character was so bitchy. She was completely different from how she had been portrayed in her stand-alone story. She reminded me of Fern and Clara from the Cutlet series or Vera from My Sweet Audrina. Runaways just didn't meet my expectations.
Kay
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The conclusion to four orphaned girls as interesting as you follow their plight for a "real" connected life. When they run away from their dysfunctional foster home, they could never imagine the many challenges they would face. Both positive and negative forces are met along their journey. Many lessons are learned as they find their own lives.
Jennifer Largent
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The first two chapters were a little slow but once i got past that i couldn't set the book down....I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series to find out what other adventures these young ladies have encountered. I would highly recommend runaways to anyone looking for an adventurous story with lots of twist and turns and bravery. Love this story
Judith
Jun 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
The last V.C. Andrews book I ever read. I believe I was 14 at the time. This is when I woke up from my V.C. Andrews spell and realized how shitty her books actually were. All my other ratings for her books are totally skewed simply for the fact that I remember the books differently as a half dumb/half gullible adolescent. Oh well, V.C. Andrews will always have a soft spot in my heart.
Selenita
It was better than #2, #3 and #4 (and much better than #1 - rip-off of Petals on the Wind), but Raven and Butterfly were soooo annoying!
Quite amusing book, but Andrew Neiderman is not as imaginative as the real V.C. Andrews.
Joanie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was about 4 girls who were put in a foster home and were very unhappy so they stole the car and took off to greener pastures. The poor girls thought that anywhere would be better than where they came from. They ran into many obstacles but somehow they overcame them.
this was really a great read!
Leslie Edwards
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I remember sneaking these books from my moms book collection when I was 11 or 12. The storyline to all the ones that I have read were pretty terrible but I couldn't stop my 12 year old self from reading them! I can't say I do not like these books because I use to love them! I think I may read one at 26 and see how I feel about them.
Patricia Atkinson
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
the story told by brooke of her butterfly,raven,crystal whole decide to runaway to California and start their own life..crazy things happen on the road and the ending is amazing.this is the final book in the orphan series.
Melinda
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I was hesitant to read this because of the descriptions I had read - I had this picture in my head that it would be horrifying - and the beginning was pretty messed up but once they left the Tooey house it lost the danger appeal and was just okay. Decent book.
  • The First Scream (Fear Park, #1)
  • V.C. Andrews: Her Life and Books
  • Vanquished
  • Virus (Med Center, #1)
  • Kiss My Book
  • The Summit (Paranormal Series II, #2)
  • Ghost House Revenge
  • Prom Dress
  • Black Alice
  • Girl Goddess #9: Nine Stories
  • Sunny: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #2)
  • Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul III: More Stories of Life, Love and Learning (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Snow Angel
  • When the Wind Blows
  • Finding Me
  • Crunch Time
Books published under the following names - Virginia Andrews, V. Andrews, Virginia C. Andrews & V.C. Endrius. Books since her death ghost written by Andrew Neiderman, but still attributed to the V.C. Andrews name

Virginia Cleo Andrews (born Cleo Virginia Andrews) was born June 6, 1923 in Portsmouth, Virginia. The youngest child and the only daughter of William Henry Andrews, a career navy man

Orphans (5 books)
  • Butterfly (Orphans, #1)
  • Crystal (Orphans, #2)