Start by marking “The Other Side of Me” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Me

The Other Side of Me

Author of over a dozen bestsellers, Academy Award-winning screenwriter, and creator of some of television's greatest hits, Sheldon has seen and done it all, and now in this candid memoir, he shares his story for the first time.
Published August 1st 2006 by Vision (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of Me

Start your review of The Other Side of Me
Eric
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was a thrill to read this book, considering Sidney Sheldon s novels have been a favourite of mine for decades. What a brilliant, fecund writer! As we learn from this work in the first part of his life he brought entertainment to countless people by being the man behind some great movies, and television series'. He grew up in relative poverty, the fact eg that his family would remorselessly squeeze out any vestiges of toothpaste from the tube resonates with an African like myself.

He loved the
John
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a GREAT autobiography. I didn't know a lot about Sheldon, other than the fact that he was the creator/producer of the tv sitcom "I Dream of Jennie."

Sheldon had an indomitable spirit: everytime he got knocked down, he got back up. And he got knocked down a lot. And rather than becoming cynical, he regarded negative experiences as learning opportunities, and kept moving forward.

He worked with a lot of the greats: Cary Grant, Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire, Judy Garland...
Joy H.
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Added 2/22/10.
RE: Sydney Sheldon (1917-2007)

I recently listened to an audio version of the following autobiography: The Other Side of Me by Sidney Sheldon (first published in 1995). He tells about how he got his start as a screenplay writer in Hollywood after many ups and downs. Eventually, he won an Oscar for writing "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" which was chosen as the Best Original Screenplay of 1947. He also won a shared award for the writing of "Easter Parade" in 1949.

After g
Rekha
Oct 15, 2008 added it
Failures we face in our lives will not continue forever.Everyone should learn a lesson from the failure and come out to find a new life.
Wasee
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don’t know what can happen tomorrow. Life is like a novel, isn’t it? It’s filled with suspense. You have no idea what’s going to happen until you turn the page. Every day is a different page, and they can be full of surprises. You’ll never know what’s next until you turn the page, the page you’re going to write...

- Sidney Sheldon (The Other Side Of Me)
Anish Antony
I really loved reading this book. I know Sidney Sheldon was an excellent story teller of Thriller and Suspense. But I never has the faintest idea that he had won Oscar award for best writer. I have read a few novels of him and all were great thrillers. I am a big fan of SS but once when i realised his life saga, the admiration really went up.
Grown up in a struggling family, Sidney was in a loss of Hope and Happiness. Everyone in his family forced to work to meet their daily needs. He was desp
Ice
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Sheldon writes his memoir as an intense and emotional rollercoaster as only he can with battling bipolar disorder nearly his entire life. From his suicide attempt at age 17 in 1934 to the publication of his first book in 1969, Sheldon has worked hard for his accomplishments.

His prolific writing career reads like a grocery list of productions spanning film, theatre, television and books. O'Malley guides listeners through the author's adventures in Hollywood and Broadway with a lively
Chasia Lloyd
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*Trigger Warning: suicide ideation*

"But I'd hate to see you close the book too soon and miss all the excitement that could happen to you on the next page--the page you're going to write."

I don't often go for the people behind the camera/microphone when it comes to memoirs, but I couldn't resist Sidney Sheldon's when I read he discusses being bipolar. And the book opens with his father talking him out of a suicide attempt, and the conversation they shared hit me so damn hard. I
Cynthia Bugsey
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What did I expect? This is an autobiography, so it isn't as interesting as his usual fictional books.The interesting thing about this however is that one can't STOP reading it also. I loved how he told the story of his uncle who was broke and had to 'steal' his work from him which won (lol!). It also gives one the sights and scenes of long ago when people like Cary Grant were big and a good insight on how Hollywood really IS. Sheldon teaches us that you have to have determination coupled with gu ...more
Santhosh
It was the title that caught my eye. A clever play with words, it is indicative both of arguably his best novel, The Other Side Of Midnight, and the story of the private Sheldon.

You have to hand it to the guy. He's had a career as a usher, bar-boy, druggist, bell-boy, hollywood, broadway, playwright, screenplay, nibbled at direction and production before finally becoming what he is now.

In short, this is an account of Sheldon's life and is an interesting read. This is not the regul
Esther Fanny
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
no wonder why many of Sidney's lead characters had a " horrible past " and they had to fight in a hard battle of life to gain a properly life. it was Sidney's past had experienced before. his Struggle to earn living was tough, rejection, disappointing, bitterness, he had them once.
i found myself was mesmerized by the pages i read about him. he had bipolar and he wasn't confident about himself, but as he said, " never go out when your elevator at the bottom, just hold on over and over again
Parva Chhantyal
Frankly, I was kind of bored in the middle. He focused too much on Hollywood and not much on the novels but I guess that's what it is all about 'The other side of me'.

Still, its great to know so much about him. The book is really slow compared to his novels but let's not compare autobiography with fictional books.
Amrutha Stephen
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-only-half
Too many names of people Sheldon's come across in Hollywood. One gets enough of the names that one can't keep track of who's who. (not that it's important) The book lacks substance and is quite dull. Though it's an inspirational book, it's quite unlike his other books. Having read books like Bloodline and Rage of Angels, I find this book not up to my expected 'Sheldon standard'.
Paula Kalin
Sep 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Written for a fifth grade intelligence.
Thirumoorthy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Life is like an elevator, the trick is not to get down when it hits the bottom.
Interesting autobiography to read.
Huguette Larochelle
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a writer of many tv show you grow up watching.
Chavelli Sulikowska
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's no business like show business! Clearly Sheldon was not only an incredibly creative writer, he was also tenacious and a workaholic! His autobiography, albeit somewhat emotionally vacant, is highly entertaining, honest, and a real insight into the highs and lows of being a Hollywood writer. I have a renewed admiration for this most prolific, diverse and talented of authors!
Leanne Hunt
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As an author myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir. Although I had read several of Sidney Sheldon's books in the eighties, I had no idea that he was also a prolific writer of Broadway musicals, Hollywood screenplays and television series. It was also a surprise to find out that he suffered from bipolar syndrome, which affects many creative people and is a challenge to manage.
I particularly enjoyed reading about how Sheldon began his writing career. He certainly didn't start as a storyte
Mehwish
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
...but ready or not, life goes on.

America had had him in worst of it's time where he had predicaments and owned inadequacies then, that a third world country has today..
Except not much money.
He aspired affluence and some fame too.

His family was a turbulent one, Nothing new in West or in other Authors' Biographies.
He left his college and involved himself in petty jobs to cover their home expenses alongside he struggled to do something that involves writing. he dabbled with radio station
MONiCA
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i've just finished reading this book a few weeks ago, and i learned a lot of things about my favorite author Sidney Sheldon, like he didn't start as a novelist (didn't become famous cos of his novels). he worked odd jobs to support not only his family but his dream as well. that he really was a master-- of almost everything. but human enough to feel depressed at times.
I kind of relate to his story, the manic depression part of it (bipolar).

overall, this one's a great "ending" f
Benazeer
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Very simple and boring autobiography. It feels like I am reading some notes. like someone just telling what he went through but didn't tell the feelings, depth, how life surprises us, expressionless no enthusiasm less thrill. It could be much better. I just turned the pages to finish this book. Only quote that touched to my heart was " Life is like a novel. It's filled with suspense. You have no idea what is going to happen until you turn the page.
Monalisa Sharma
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The rating for this book is between 3-4 stars . The first half is really good and interesting but the second half is all about the works done by him and not much of a roller coaster reading. Overall its a good book .
Krenare
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, inspiring! A book that transmits lots of emotions and life lessons.
Ankul Dravid
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

Don't give up. There are too many nay-sayers out there who will try to discourage you. Don't listen to them. The only one who can make you give up is yourself.
If someone is scared of failure then he/she must read the masterpiece by legendary Sidney Sheldon. One of the best novelists world has ever witnessed. "The Other Side of Me" is his Autobiography, certainly one of his best creations. It seems like I have lived his life through his book. A man once decided to quit and was ready to comm
Rakshya Kharel
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I was a little hesitant to read this because I had never read Sidney Sheldon's books and I haven't really read any memoirs so this was a new experience. Nonetheless, I absolutely loved this book. The first sentence alone pulled me in and all the things that he had been through is so inspiring and motivational. It is a ridiculous roller coaster of events with everything that goes down in his life but it also fills me with so much inspiration that he kept going and kept turning the figurativ ...more
Hardy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“No one can take credit for whatever talent they may have.... Talent is a gift ... we should be grateful ... and work hard at it.”

Sidney Sheldon was the most translated author in the world in 1997. Sheldon has bipolar disorder, giving him an extra wide range of emotions. He started writing songs, then scripts, and finally novels.

His memoir is 80% dialogue, which can be tiring. It is emotionally true more than literally true.

It is broken into scenes from his two-steps-for
Megzzz
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this autobiography of Sidney Sheldon.I had never read any of SS's work and was wondering where to start from and finally found this. Thought to start from his autobiography itself.
I really enjoyed his writing and just got hooked up myself to the book. His biography shows life is not as easy as it is seen by others. And we should never give up. Try and try until you succeed. And yes , "Life is like a Novel. Its filled with suspense. You have no idea what's going to happen unt
Osman Welela
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this years ago, having skimmed a few pages then and immediately loving it. I finally found a copy recently and, thankfully, I still liked it enough to read it in just a bit more than one sitting. I used to love reading his works and i was expecting to see this book focusing more on his writing career, I was pleasantly surprised to find my expectations were way off the mark. All I can say is that the man has lived!
Manojkumar Ganesh
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For all the budding authors, screen writers this book is a must read!! The story starts off with Sidney trying to commit suicide!! Thank god he never did else we would have lost one of the most talented person of all time.. "Life has its own up's and down's" this book is an example for it!!

I was never able to keep this book down as it takes you through one of the interesting journeys of the all time great legend "Sidney Sheldon".
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sidney Sheldon’s The Silent Widow
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • The 3 Mistakes of My Life
  • Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition
  • Chasing Tomorrow (Tracy Whitney #2)
  • One Night at the Call Center
  • I Too Had a Love Story
  • শঙ্কু সমগ্র
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
  • Einstein: The Life and Times
  • Sidney Sheldon's The Tides of Memory
  • The Shogun's Queen (The Shogun Quartet #1)
  • Thanks for the Memories
  • The Thought Leadership Manual
  • Longing, Belonging: An Outsider at Home in Calcutta
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling novel
“When they die no one will ever know that once they lived.” 89 likes