Start by marking “Refactoring UI” as Want to Read:
Refactoring UI

Refactoring UI

Make your ideas look awesome, without relying on a designer. Learn how to design beautiful user interfaces by yourself using specific tactics explained from a developer's point-of-view.
Published December 11th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Refactoring UI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Refactoring UI

Start your review of Refactoring UI
Emma Bostian
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I literally read this in 2 hours.
Angie Herrera
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is great but it’s aimed primarily at developers who are looking to improve their UI designs when there’s no designer on a project (or similar situation). For that audience, it’s perfect. For designers coming from a primarily print background, I’d recommend this book in a heartbeat. As for the seasoned web or UI design veteran... a lot of it is stuff you’ll likely already know. But I found at least a couple of practical tips that I’m definitely going to include in my design toolbox and ...more
Mehrad Rousta
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mehrad by: Taha Nasrolahi
I'm starting to realize that as a front-end developer, I had no idea of designing UI's before. It explains it's ideas with nice examples and sketches and also, for example, gave me nice approach in using white space in my designs: "A better approach is to start by giving something way too much space, then remove it until it you’re happy with the result." It may seem simple but I wasn't aware how much this can help me. I would recommend it to you if you are a developer or a junior product ...more
Divyanshu Maithani
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book on UI/UX design. Great re-read value as well. Helped me clear a lot of fundamentals for designing good UIs without needing a designer.
Jakob Åberg
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought this one was great. Good, hands on advice on how you can bring your designs to the next level, will definitely go back to this one!
Matt
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tonnes of good practical tips
Federico
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Concise guide to User Interfaces. Really helped me as a non-designer.
Artem
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, webdev, own
An excellent primer on how to make simple design decisions that could greatly improve your designs. No fluff; 100% signal, 0% noise.
Temur Tchanukvadze
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of simple UI examples and comparisons: what is better, why, and how to control user focus. Refactoring UI doesn't dive deep into details and I think it's a good start point for Web Designing. If you are familiar with Bootstrap and Material Design then this book gonna fill your gaps and help you to see the full picture of UI and even UX.
Michael Caveney
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely outstanding. It's only over 200 (easy) pages, but it's so packed with valuable tips and insight into creating great UI. I've definitely leveled up from reading this, and this will be my number one recommendation to developers looking to get a firmer grasp on design basics. Pricey, but well-worth it in my opinion.
Ayoub Mekkaoui
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!

I highly recommend it for UI/UX and Web designer, and also for backend developer who want to learn some quick tips to make thiers own UIs feel designed and well organized.

Me as a backend developer, sometimes when I need to build some frontend for my APIs, I often waste time making decisions like : what perfect color to pick, what font-family to choose, how to position headlines, etc. I think this book will help me a lot :)
Gregory Milani
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Wathan had done an awesome job in this book. With just the right balance of design theory and examples, here you will find some clever tips to step up your User interface game.
Nguyen Tien
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a solo-dev, who want to create a decent looking UI for his app.
Tofael
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Used Images to describe the points. Anyone will understand the views. Designers should read the book to grow their confidence.
Sridhar Raj Sampath Kumar
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're developer who uses bootstrap but wants to level-up your design skills, I highly recommend this book.

This book has practical details on how to think and design boring items such as Forms, dropdown, images, grid.
Guillermo Rodas
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a really great book to get into modern applications design it works for designers and developers. Really nice examples easy to read.
Andrew
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, because it doesn't mess around: there's a title page, the table of contents, and then you're immediately presented with some great design advice:

"Start with a feature, not a layout"

That's the title of the first section of the first chapter of this book. The authors explain that design is different from aesthetics. When you're developing a product like an app or a website, the most important thing is that it's functional. Decide what UI elements you need to satisfy that
Robert Thompson
Hats off to the authors of this fabulous book. I had intended to read it all in one day, a symptom of interest mostly but held off a couple of weeks through the holidays.

The holidays are now over and I once again, hungrily picked through the remaining treats left with its last pages. As a graphic designer of many, many years and web designer/developer for the last 5-6 years I was amazed at just how many things I picked up. You always try to design great work, as fast as you can but just in the
Tessa
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars: very practical information in easily digestible parts

The information: I learnt a great lot from this book, and will probably open it up a few more times for reference. Very practical tips and tricks that you can use in your designs.

The readability: the way the book was built up, in tiny doses of information, made it very readable, and the writing style was easy to follow as well.

The structure: I don't have too much to note about the structure. It was very logical, but nothing special.

Chris Jeon
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is hands down the most useful and practical book that I've read on building software in a long time. It's a quick read since even though the book clocks at over 200 pages, most of the pages is just images. However, the book is still jam packed with useful and actionable information.

The book is aimed at software developers improve their UI design skills. The book shows practical examples of subpar UI being refactored into more pleasant UI, and provides just the right balance of theory to
Frank
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first came across Adam Wathan through his Test Driven Laravel course. I've been following him ever since, so when he announced this book, I was interested to check it out. I am a web engineer, who is often more back-end focused, but this book gave such simple and easily demonstrable examples of how to quickly make design choices that have an impact, that I immediately was able to see ways to start implementing his advice for adding spacing and depth to my projects. Very happy I bought this ...more
Hristo Vladev
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Refactoring UI is a great small book, packed with tons of useful content. It’s full of practical examples and will certainly make you a better UI developer. You’ll start to understand the reasoning (or the lack of it) behind designs and UI decisions in various applications. The book is structured very systematically and everything is to the point (no BS and excess content). You should definitely read it!
David Adler
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a programmer who has tried and failed many times to build beautiful UIs, I found many actionable tips about design. The sections on colors, fonts and spacing were especially useful. For example, grey looks bad on a colored background. Instead use a darker shade of the colored background to indicated secondary text.
Giustino Borzacchiello
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a developer interested in creating acceptable UI then this is the book for you.

Terse and to the point, you can say that there's no space for repetition in this book.

Every section is stripped to the essential, and the various examples help to understand what's the best way to create and design a good UI.

Really recommended!
Cedd
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is excellent. I've been looking for a developer focused UI / design book, and this is it. Lots of great actionable tips with compelling examples. It probably isn't as exhaustive as some, but it will allow non designers to make good designs. For me, it is almost infitely more useful than About Face, and more useful than Don't Make Me Think (although this is great for usability testing).
Simisola Aremo
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gave really practical steps to applying design methods as a developer. It felt almost like a workbook of some sort, that I could have fun practising with and yet everything mentioned is so important. The choice of words made is easy to digest as well and I'd find myself looking over my UI, and going back to the book to see if there was something I could apply, which was great for me.
Marius Černuševičius
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is plenty of tips for developing nice UI designs, but at the end of the day it comes down to noticing beautiful UI all around you and collecting your own library of tips as it never ends and constantly evolving field.
Book is not just for novices, but for people who have been in the industry for a while as there are some really good examples and reminders.
Nadia Sotnikova
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book on UI. There are many great resources on UX, design principles, etc. Yet this is the only book that truly improved my designs almost overnight.

It's full of bite sized, actionable UI tips that are well explained and illustrated with great examples.

I recommend it to every designer and front end developer I know.
Doaa
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I really liked this book
I think it will be very helpful to anyone that starts his career as a UI designer
but for me, it helped me with some small details in colors, contrast, and visual hierarchy

recommended to read
Ben Decker
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly practical, helpful, and inspiring guidebook to help you level up your visual design skills. Adam and Steve have a way of articulating what seems hard to explain in such simple ways, and they show you how just a few small tweaks can dramatically improve a design.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Atomic Design
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • CSS Secrets: Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Design Systems: A practical guide to creating design languages for digital products
  • Form Design Patterns
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Modern Web Development on the JAMstack
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Designing for Emotion
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »