Start by marking “A Rose for Emily and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
A Rose for Emily and Other Stories

A Rose for Emily and Other Stories

Emily is a member of a family in the antebellum Southern aristocracy; after the Civil War, the family has fallen on hard times.
Published January 1st 1970 by Merrill Publishing Company (first published November 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about A Rose for Emily and Other Stories, please sign up.
Bogdan Raț
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Rose for Emily, William Faulkner
A Rose for Emily, is a short story by American author William Faulkner, first published in the April 30, 1930, issue of The Forum. The story takes place in Faulkner's fictional city, Jefferson, Mississippi, in the fictional southern county of Yoknapatawpha. It was Faulkner's first short story published in a national magazine. The story opens with a brief first-person account of the funeral of Emily Grierson, an elderly Southern woman whose funeral is the
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
If you've never read anything by William Faulkner, read "A Rose for Emily" ... as long as you don't mind if things get a little gruesome.

description

I first read Faulkner's classic "A Rose for Emily" in college years ago. Initially I just dropped a 4 star rating on it and left it at that. But then something happened. A few friends liked my rating, and this story kept stealing back into my mind like Homer Barron sneaking in through Emily's back door, and making itself at home in my head, an uninvited and a
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, psycho

A classic, literary short story that will give you the ultimate creeps. A Rose for Emily is a dark, disturbing but strongly evocatively written tale rich in symbols, ironies and vivid imagery and remarkably depicts the consequences of living in and wanting to preserve ones glorious past. You can read the short story here.
Fabian {Councillor}
We did not say she was crazy then. We believed she had to do that. We remembered all the young men her father had driven away, and we knew that with nothing left, she would have to cling to that which had robbed her, as people will.

The second William Faulkner short story I have read turned out to be an absolute success. On diverting, brief eight pages, Faulkner manages to introduce his readers to the character of Miss Emily Grierson, a woman marked by loneliness and bitterness. This story
Lawyer
William Faulkner's A Rose for Emily: The Town as Narrator and Accomplice

This classic Southern gothic story was chosen as a Moderators' Choice for members of On the Southern Literary Trail for October, 2014.

WHEN Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old man-servant--a combined gardener and cook--had seen in at
Donita Luz
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Donita by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
This wasn't really recommended to me by Aj. My curiosity just got the best of me after reading Aj's short but informative review here and Rachel's review.

I honestly have to read this short story twice for the story to actually sink in. I didn't know where the story was about or where it will lead to at first everything started to make sense the more you delve into the story, but I just have to read it again - to know if there were some clues and hints out there I missed before the genius
Rachel Maniacup
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to read this!^^
Recommended to Rachel by: My curiosity
This is some kind of a gothic story that tells you about a woman(EMILY), from a wealthy and respectable family,and the last of her father's descendant.

The story started when Emily's father died,and the only thing he left for her was the house.Being left alone,she became the "talk" of her neighbors,"at last,the once envied was now the pitied".

This is the shortest horrifying story I've ever read so far,and I must say it was well-written.Others may say the story was pointless but for me,it was a
Anne
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
DON'T BE DECEIVED BY THE TITLE. NO ONE'S GETTING ANY ROSES.
I had to read this story twice to grasp it fully. But after a reading count of two, I still am not able to decipher who the hell the speaker is. And yes, this bothers me slightly. But I'll say it, this was one beautiful - short - piece of gothic literature. The fascinating thing about the mysterious identity of the narrator is it didn't take away from the story, if anything, it yielded more intrigue and allure, causing me to be
Karen
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A big reason why I read writers like Faulkner is because of beautiful metaphors like this;

"and the very old men--some in their brushed Confederate uniforms--on the porch and the lawn, talking of Miss Emily as if she had been a contemporary of theirs, believing that they had danced with her and courted her perhaps, confusing time with its mathematical progression, as the old do, to whom all the past is not a diminishing road but, instead, a huge meadow which no winter ever quite touches, divided
Ladan

Having read Romain Gary's Lady L, I could have guessed the ending! Is it only me who links these two weird ladies to each other??!!
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Thank you Tadiana for providing this link to this little shorty that I haven't read in 14 years.

I first read this in high school, and it is the first, and still only, Faulkner I have ever read. Faulkner has always been this kind of presence in my life. Like a long-lost uncle who is always kind of looking out for me, and remains a lingering presence, but who is intimidating, and just a little bit scary. And for those reasons, I've just never been able to warm up to Faulkner, but appreciate his
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Revisited after 20 years because I wanted to compare to a short story written by William Gay, The Paperhanger. I definitely like shock factor in literature. Faulkner perfected this story.
Tom Mathews
This is an extremely atmospheric and downright creepy short story. It makes me believe that I can learn to love Faulkner.

A Rose for Emily
Emma
Jun 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: required-reading
I first read this for a class in April, and I wish I could say that it was so incredibly impactful or life changing, but it wasn't. I understand why this is regarded as a literary classic, but I simply wasn't in the mood for this, and required readings usually don't go well for me (save for a few exceptions). This was very well written, however, I am leaving off a rating at this time.
Megan
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I came to know about this book through the song 'In The End' by My Chemical Romance, which is inspired on this book. And I must say, this is the greatest story ever written. While the story is most macabre, for me it also shows the ultimate end of Romance and Love.

I don't want to spoil the story or the amazing plot, so please just read it!
Ana
"A Rose for Emily" was my first encounter with Faulkner and I must say it feels like I drew the long straw because I loved the story and it piqued my interest for further Faulkner literature. Had I started with "The Sound and the Fury" or "As I Lay Dying", I'm afraid I wouldn't have liked him that much - but honestly I have no way of telling as I haven't read those books.
"A Rose for Emily" was great because it was one of those amazing things that happen to you and you don't even realize it until
Arpita Das, the hundred-eyed human
OK, So let me tell you. This particular book didn't catch my attention at first. I just thought it to be a silly little romance where someone gives some Emily some rose. Well, I just ignored, titles can be deceiving though. When my best friend noticed that I just ignored her one of her favorites, you know what happened.... Yes, bloodbath, you guessed it right. She literally smacked me with this book and I returned home full of bruises. Yeah, we are good fighters.
{My lesson: Never underestimate
Shayantani
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Who said graphic imagery is required to make a person shudder? William Faulkner, with this subtle southern gothic story will make your jaw drop in horror at the climax. This excellent short story will leave a long lasting impression on your mind, and so will the enigmatic Emily. Recommended!
Wayne Barrett

This collection of short stories was just so so for me. Faulkners writing is masterful as always but the stories all ended leaving me with a feeling of "what was the point?"
Davonna Juroe
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Move over Glenn Close, Miss Emily Grierson just showed you up!

This is disturbing gothic necrophilia of the first order, and I did NOT see the last line of this story coming. How unsettling.

Faulkner really delves into the more murky, psychological side of the gothic here instead of relying on its traditional set pieces (endangered young heroine, decaying castles, etc.).

Emily really channels a darker Miss Havisham from GREAT EXPECTATIONS. And like Miss Havisham, Emily is obsessed with holding onto
Matt

Taught it twice to different classes, worried each time that the kids wouldn't dig on it.

Happy to report that I was wrong both times, I was pleased and gladdened that it really seemed to go over well and I enjoyed reading the papers (more than expected) that came back.

Also, I thought I was a sharp cookie when the comparison between Emily and Lady Haversham...

Uhhh, actually, not so much. A couple freshmen made the connection without me even bringing it up.

Good on them, though. Very happy to
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Old town in the old days in old Mississippi. We watch young Emily orphaned, then her heart broken, then growing old with her Negro servant, a recluse in her big, old house.

What loneliness can do! Loveless loneliness can bring mad, maddening madness so tells this story.
Doug H
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The perfect short story. So good that it gave me goosebumps! Masterfully controlled. Not a word wasted or ill-chosen. Subtlle humor builds quietly into abject horror. I'll be rereading this immediately.

Poor Emily!

*shivers*
Amrita
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark, haunting and disturbing - if you are into Southern Gothic literature , you can't go wrong with this. Faulkner's beautiful prose doesn't hurt either.
Latasha
This rating is for "A Rose for Emily" only. I did not read any of the other stories.
Irini
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it

Creepy lady; I liked her!
Jasmine
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
When I finished this short story, I was amazed by how evolved and profound it is, despite its short length. I have only read A Rose for Emily though, not all the stories. I will try to remember the things I liked about it, as I remember being obsessed with it for a few days.

So the story's focus character is Miss. Emily, she was this old-fashioned, misanthropic woman, or so it seems. The whole story is narrated by one of the people who live in the town. This is something I found very intriguing
Emily Logue
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Rose for Emily is possibly my favorite short story of all time. It is chilling and intriguing seeing Emily go from sympathetic young woman to a reclusive burden. Faulkner leaves just enough hints to make the reader question Emily, making the story a fun guessing game until the final passage, when her actions become clear. I really love the narration of this story, told by someone unknown, but representing the whole town of Jefferson as they watch Emily, one of the last reminders the town has ...more
Sookie
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Faulkner's writing is flawless. His prose is rich, deep and makes the reader works for it. The mood is set to sombre with the very first line of the story and the narration takes a deep dive into the life of Emily.

This short story is a great example for writing horror and macabre. Faulkner's writing shows that graphic depiction of horror and violence isn't necessary to creep the reader or feel the chills. Faulkner does it pretty neatly in this story with his prose.

Don't miss this if you are a
Lnaz Izd
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Homer Barren another character of the story whom if we consider as a symbol of modernism , we can say that modernism is killed by Emily, a symbol of traditionalism. The death of Emily and Homer both is shown in the story which to me means the ever-lasting fight between traditions and modernity leading nowhere but destruction of the society. We should try to have them both in hand and mix them up to a comprehensible and advantageous new way and use that as a method of our everyday life.

• The Story of an Hour
  • Young Goodman Brown and Other Short Stories
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • Young Goodman Brown
  • The Canterbury Tales: Fifteen Tales and the General Prologue
  • The Most Dangerous Game
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are set in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as early