Start by marking “Doomsday World” as Want to Read:
Doomsday World

Doomsday World

(Star Trek: The Next Generation #12)

The planet Kirlos -- an artificial world built by a mysterious long-dead race called the Ariantu. Kirlos is now home to many races from both the Federation and the K'vin Hegemony, who have enjoyed years of peaceful co-existence and profitable trade. The planet also hold a wealth of undiscovered archaeological treasures, which the "Enterprise(TM) " and its crew are dispatch ...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Doomsday World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doomsday World

Start your review of Doomsday World
Camille
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
While reading this I complained about a lot of OOC'ness (out of character) going on. Worf is portrayed as basically an animal who wants to kill everyone who looks shady and Geordi is being a baby. At one point he's crying and then he shouts at Data, "Shut up! Just shut up, Data! You think you know every damned thing in the world..."

But I realize the problem. This book was written in 1988, while The Next Generation was just in their first or second season. So the show was still young and the characters we
Jerry
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
When four legendary authors team up, the end result should be amazing; while I wouldn't give this book such a lofty superlative, it was great for what it was.
Amelia Nichole Defield
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, startrek, dislike
Cool ideas, interesting aliens, great authors, but I just felt it fell flat on this one. I felt like they were telling the whole novel and nothing felt surprising. The ideas in this should have been very surprising and twisty, but I kept being told isn't this shocking?!
John
Jul 27, 2011 added it
Not a very satisfying ST:TNG book at all (and I have read all the ones written before this, and many written after). This book reads like a "hodgepodge"...a collaborative effort of several authors, which is was. Considering that, it's amazing that it had as much cohesiveness as it did, considering the way it was written.
Lindsay
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was my 3rd STNG novel and my least favorite. I actually set it down for nearly a year due to having lost interest. I picked it back up yesterday just to go ahead and finish it. It didn’t get interesting until the last few chapters.
leanne
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it
This is ok so far, first ST:TNG book I've read. Not as engaging as the ST:TOS books. Data is comically dry but it's weird trying to experience an android through text only.
Travis
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Another of those Trek books that would have made a decent episode, but as a book left me underwelmed.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
No matter how many times I tried, I just could not finish this book. Poor characters, poor story. Too bad....
Douglas
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Better than most of the early TNG novels, but fairly predictable. Writing was a little uneven, but I imagine having four authors will do that to a book.
Craig
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun story with lots of mystery to keep it interesting. I enjoyed the dynamic of a Data-led away team (which didn't happen enough in the series) and how Picard had to learn to work without three key members of his team.
Daniel Kukwa
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
It's not the most memorable of stories, but it does prove that you CAN write a Star Trek novel by committee and still manage to create something that will suitably pass the time, and not turn into a mess of competing writing styles. Read it for its excellent take on the TNG crew, but look elsewhere for a deeper plot.
Nathan Burgoine
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this one, as it involved Peter David, a Trek Author I quite admired, but the story left me kind of flat and somewhat bored in places. It's typical trek stuff: planet full of ancient technology, situated as a kind of diplomatic place between Federation an K'Vin people, terrorist attacks, and Geordi, Worf, and Data end up accused of bad stuff and blah blah blah.
K
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Doomsday World is an okay TNG book. To be honest, I was disappointed in the book after seeing the almost all-star lineup of authors (Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman, just to name a two). The book was exciting at times, but during a lot of the book, it seemed to just be filler. 3.25/5
Sarah Musser mcalister
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like Star Trek TNG. This was a pretty good book, but I think it could have been better if it had only been written by one author. I felt like the story kind of skipped over elements that were necessary. I wasn't exactly sure what was happening in a few places.
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 added it
Doomsday World (Star Trek The Next Generation, No 12) by Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman And Robert Greenberger Carmen Carter (1991)
Matt
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Not great, but not the worst, either. Finished it, enjoyed it, would not read it again.
John
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
a good tng tale
Michelle Hanson
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.. one of the better TNG books..
Melanie Hicks
Sep 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.
Cary Spratt
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, star-trek
Pretty standard season 3 TNG fare. Not one of my favorites, but decent enough (better than 'Gulliver's Fugitives').
Jeff
Feb 04, 2008 added it
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Matt
Lucy
Oct 12, 2016
William J. McClusky II
Mar 28, 2012

• Metamorphosis (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Vendetta (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Mutiny on the Enterprise (Star Trek: The Original Series #12)
  • Imzadi (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Imzadi #1)
  • The Pandora Principle
  • The Trellisane Confrontation (Star Trek: The Original Series #14)
  • Star Trek: First Contact (Young Adult Adaptation)
  • Timetrap
  • First Contact (Star Trek: TNG: Movie Novelizations #2)
  • The Physics of Star Trek
  • First Frontier
  • Faces of Fire
  • The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe
  • Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
  • Why Does E=mc²? (And Why Should We Care?)
  • Black Holes & Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)