Start by marking “Stranger Things: The Other Side” as Want to Read:
Stranger Things: The Other Side

Stranger Things: The Other Side

(Stranger Things Graphic Novels #1)

The hit Netflix series from the Duffer Brothers is now a spine-tingling comic that recounts Will Beyers' harrowing survival in the treacherous Upside Down!

When Will Byers finds himself in the Upside Down, an impossible dark parody of his own world, he's understandably frightened. But that's nothing compared with the fear that takes hold when he realizes what's in that worl
Published May 7th 2019 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Things, please sign up.

Start your review of Stranger Things: The Other Side
Mischenko
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was super excited to read this book which contains Stranger Things: The Other Side comics #1-4. Stranger Things is one of my favorite Netflix series (all three seasons), so I grabbed this as soon as I saw it.

These four comics are basically Will’s story from the Upside Down, which is something you don’t get much of in the series. It was neat seeing some of the different events that were happening with Will, but some of it seemed like speculation to me; for instance, I don’t remember Will findin
David Schaafsma
So snatched this right up when I saw it at the library. It is a kind of cash grab-spin off, but we are big ST fans in this house, so everyone is gobbling it up. My first impression before reading it was that they were dumb in naming it, because it is not called "the other side," but "the upside down," but what they really mean is that Jody Hauser means to tell "the other side" of the story of Will Beyer's disappearance that we who have watched the tv series only know from the perspective of his ...more
Chad
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
I was excited to get ahold of this. I love Stranger Things and I dig Jody Houser's work on Faith. This was supposed to be Will's story from Season 1 while he was trapped in the Upside Down. If you enjoy watching a boy wander around a ghost town and reflect back on a D&D outing for 4 issues then this is the book for you. This was so boring and without consequence. The art was serviceable at best. I'm not sure if Netflix handicapped Houser or she just phoned this one in. This is what I've come to ...more
exploraDora
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
***5 stars***

I honestly don't know why this graphic novel has such an average rating, because I think it was great!

I've probably said this before, when I read the Stranger Things books, but I am a huge fan of the series. It is by far one of my all time favorite TV shows, if not my absolute favorite. So I knew I'd be reading on anything I can get my hands on related to it.

This first issue delivered exactly what it promised: it's basically season 1 from Will's Upside Down point of view, only
Ben Brown
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love “Stranger Things” – it’s a great show. Sadly, I did not love this comic.

I wanted to – badly. But “Stranger Things: Volume I” is pretty much the definition of a “cash-in” – a tie-in comic that exists solely to siphon a little extra dough off of the property’s current red-hot status in the marketplace. Reading these four issues is a little like reading a teaser for a big comic book event – there’s little to no real plot, the art is functional at best, and everything feels slightly obligato
Moi  Baltazar
Actual rating: 2.75 stars
Diana
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you always wanted to know what happened to Will on the Upside Down World, this series are for you! And they are eerie good too!
Brittany
This was a large disappointment. The shading was really strange and the faces looked kind of like mannequins a lot of the time and it was kind of freaky. The story flow was very stilted and jumping around a lot in a compeltely confusing way,even having watched and loved the show. Not for me :(
Best thing: The fantastic depiction of the demigorgon
2 stars
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That was seriously so good. It was great to see season 1 from Will's perspective. This book really added a lot to his character and made me love him even more. An absolutely great read before I start season 3. I hope that the next graphic novel is season 2, because that would be so much fun.

Highly enjoyed, highly recommend. 5/5 stars.
Shannon
Ho-hum.

Not terribly interesting if you have watched the series.

MY GRADE: C.
Kate
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This was good- covers the time Will spent in season 1. I wish the artwork had been a bit more consistent (half the time Mike's hair is as light as Will's), but it's still worth a look at if you're a fan. Loved that Will heard Barb, and tried to save her. Out of all the characters on the show, Will's the one I have the hardest time connecting to, so that might be the reason this one didn't blow me away.
Kat (the_bookish_kat)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this comic! as a fan of the show, it was a lot of fun to kind of see what exactly happened to Will during that first season (the dude really went through it). but i really liked this comic and would definitely recommend it to fans of the show!
R.
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Your imagination will probably do a better job of filling in with satisfaction the story of the Byers boy's adventures in the Upside Down than this graphic novel. No budget restrictions, and they still delivered what I disappointingly found to be a pretty obvious and bland take on an otherdimensional game of cat and mouse.
Jonathan Maas
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good, I highly recommend it !
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

We are never safe from ideas of expansion that capitalize on excellent opportunities. When success is tasted for the first time, a dark force takes over some individuals and allows these ideas to germinate and proliferate wildly and without control within them. While many will see this as more of what they love, others will see it as the beginning of a tumble. After all, what good does it do to a franchise to expand in uncharted territory when i
Rod Brown
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had a passing interest in what happened to Will Byers while he was in the Upside Down during season one of the show, but then it turned out to be sort of dull with lots of running and overdone narration. But now I know.
Robert
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla
The kind of okay that doesn’t warrant a full review.
Chris Greensmith
"And Will Byers is left to wonder. Is it really over? Can anyone truly face a Demogorgon and emerge unscathed?"
This run along with season 1 from Will's side of things. It was a bit thin on plot, and didn't really add anything, the art wasn't that great, it was more of a cash in, but it did fill one or two, tiny holes from season 1...
Rodoreads
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Somethings are just better off being series. I really love the series. More than life itself but this has been so disappointing! 😢 Everything was so rushed and if someone reads it without watching the series, it won't make sense at all.
Abbey
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. This brought nothing new to the Stranger Things mythos. Kind of a waste of time. At least the art was gorgeous, which is the only reason it gets 3 stars instead of 2.
Peter
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable companion piece to season one of stranger things. The story gives you an insight into what Will went through during his time in the upside down. It's a very quick read, and the artwork is gorgeous. I'd definitely recommend it to any stranger things fans.
Erofan
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This comic expands the universe "Stranger Things". As a fan of the TV series, it was interesting for me to read the story of Will Byers who turned out to be on the "Other Side"!
Isabel ✰
Larka Fenrir
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Stranger Things Comic, 1/4
Rich Stoehr
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The 'Stranger Things' graphic novel sits in a kind of weird place. And I don't mean the Upside Down.

It's clearly meant to be read by those who have watched at least the first season 'Stranger Things,' the Netflix show. Those who haven't watched the show will have little idea what's going in in the comic. But for fans of the show, there's not much in the way of new material to chew on in the graphic novel.

To be fair, Jody Houser does a fine job putting together a story that feels like it could ha
Fox
"The Other Side" is a retelling of the first season of Stranger Things from the perspective of Will Byers. Essentially, it answers the question of what Will did while he was in the Upside Down for those who were wondering. A lot of fear, confusion, and running from the monster. It... is what one might expect if they watch the show. It isn't boring, but it also isn't entirely interesting. There's a lot more story to be told.

The writing was good for what it was, and the story interwove bits of old
Brendan
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Short read and not essential to the Stranger Things, but more of a gap filler if you want it. The artwork is fun and the story is more of a construct for the simple minded of the genre. Not an insult, it is more setup for the casual readers and people like myself who have grown up on Alan Moore will tend to be let down by books like this. I have only jumped on this as a giant fan of the Stranger Things world.

Why the 3?

My biggest concern with this book was why does it need to exist? It serves n
Rick
Basically this tells the story of what happened to Will while the events of the first season of Stranger Things was unfolding. It's good, but there really isn't anything new or particularly poignant that is revealed.
Noelle
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was very well illustrated, but basically just a rehash of the TV series-season one.
There was one welcome addition-that Mike and Will were looking at Stephen King's The Dark Tower book. All in all, an entertaining read.
Dany
While I appreciate the idea of seeing what happened to Will when he was on the Upside Down while everyone was losing their shit in our dimension looking for it... I can't help but wonder, was this actually really necessary?

1-Azr-VYII82cyw-G4-Sz5n9q-A

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Stranger Things: Zombie Boys
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Stranger Things, #2)
  • Runaway Max (Stranger Things, #3)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers #1
  • Stranger Things: SIX #2
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things #1)
  • Stranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down: The Official Behind-the-Scenes Companion
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1
  • Stranger Things - The Companion
  • Emperor Doom
  • How to Survive in a Stranger Things World
  • Hawkins Middle School Yearbook/Hawkins High School Yearbook (Stranger Things)
  • Conjurors
  • Die #1
  • Visions from the Upside Down: Stranger Things Artbook
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Survivors of the Holocaust: True Stories of Six Extraordinary Children
  • Will Byers' Secret Files (Stranger Things)

Stranger Things Graphic Novels (5 books)
  • Stranger Things: Six
  • Stranger Things: Into the Fire (Graphic Novel)
  • Stranger Things: Zombie Boys
  • Stranger Things: The Bully (Graphic Novel)

News & Interviews