Start by marking “Stranger Things: The Other Side (Graphic Novel Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Stranger Things: The Other Side (Graphic Novel Volume 1)

Stranger Things: The Other Side

(Stranger Things Comics #1-4)

The hit Netflix series from the Duffer Brothers is now a spine-tingling comic that recounts Will Beyers' harrowing survival in the treacherous Upside Down!

When Will Byers finds himself in the Upside Down, an impossible dark parody of his own world, he's understandably frightened. But that's nothing compared with the fear that takes hold when he realizes what's in that worl
Published May 7th 2019 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Things

Chad
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
I was excited to get ahold of this. I love Stranger Things and I dig Jody Houser's work on Faith. This was supposed to be Will's story from Season 1 while he was trapped in the Upside Down. If you enjoy watching a boy wander around a ghost town and reflect back on a D&D outing for 4 issues then this is the book for you. This was so boring and without consequence. The art was serviceable at best. I'm not sure if Netflix handicapped Houser or she just phoned this one in. This is what I've come ...more
Ben Brown
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love “Stranger Things” – it’s a great show. Sadly, I did not love this comic.

I wanted to – badly. But “Stranger Things: Volume I” is pretty much the definition of a “cash-in” – a tie-in comic that exists solely to siphon a little extra dough off of the property’s current red-hot status in the marketplace. Reading these four issues is a little like reading a teaser for a big comic book event – there’s little to no real plot, the art is functional at best, and everything feels slightly obligato
David Schaafsma
So snatched this right up when I saw it at the library. It is a kind of cash grab-spin off, but we are big ST fans in this house, so everyone is gobbling it up. My first impression before reading it was that they were dumb in naming it, because it is not called "the other side," but "the upside down," but what they really mean is that Jody Hauser means to tell "the other side" of the story of Will Beyer's disappearance that we who have watched the tv series only know from the perspective of his ...more
Ariyan Abidi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
خب سريال رو كه خيلى دوست دارم.
كميكم خوب بود. يه ستاره رو به خاطر طراحى ها كم كردم.
يكى هم به خاطر داستان كه ميتونست پر محتوا تر باشه.
ولى همه اينا به كنار
ممنون از عوامل نشر باژ كه كميك خوندن به صورت فيزيكى رو براى ما علاقه مندان ممكن كرد❣
اميدوارم اين روند ادامه داشته باشه و شاهد چاپ بهترين كميك ها تو ايران باشيم.
Abdollah zarei
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
قطعا برای کسایی که سریال رو دیدن به شدت خوشایند و جذاب خواهد بود. طراحی مناسب و کادر بندی نسبتا خوب و راضی کننده. تنها باید حتما سریال رو دیده باشید تا این داستان فرعی رو کاملا بفهمید.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

We are never safe from ideas of expansion that capitalize on excellent opportunities. When success is tasted for the first time, a dark force takes over some individuals and allows these ideas to germinate and proliferate wildly and without control within them. While many will see this as more of what they love, others will see it as the beginning of a tumble. After all, what good does it do to a franchise to expand in uncharted territory when i
Rich Stoehr
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The 'Stranger Things' graphic novel sits in a kind of weird place. And I don't mean the Upside Down.

It's clearly meant to be read by those who have watched at least the first season 'Stranger Things,' the Netflix show. Those who haven't watched the show will have little idea what's going in in the comic. But for fans of the show, there's not much in the way of new material to chew on in the graphic novel.

To be fair, Jody Houser does a fine job putting together a story that feels like it could ha
Rick
Basically this tells the story of what happened to Will while the events of the first season of Stranger Things was unfolding. It's good, but there really isn't anything new or particularly poignant that is revealed.
Dany
While I appreciate the idea of seeing what happened to Will when he was on the Upside Down while everyone was losing their shit in our dimension looking for it... I can't help but wonder, was this actually really necessary?

1-Azr-VYII82cyw-G4-Sz5n9q-A

Marilee
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the artwork! 4 stars for that alone. It's definitely not something that you could understand if you haven't seen the tv show though.
Tim Joseph
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
... Over too soon...
The Artisan Geek
21/2:
Will post my review, when this comic gets published!
Craig Evans
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This only gets 3 stars because it’s Stranger Things, I mean did this story even need to be told? It gives us nothing the far superior TV series does. The art is great but the story is amateur and quite frankly, pretty pointless. Shame.
Michelle
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm. I received this as a review copy from Edelweiss. I'm grateful to them for that. The book itself seems weak. I'm not sure whether it's intended for kids? Adults? It would make no sense to someone who hadn't seen the first season, but there really isn't that much there for someone who has. A few of the full page illustrations are very nice, but I'm just not sure what need this book is supposed to fill.
Giulia Rita Herondale
2.5
Review soon
❁ olivia ❁
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first couple of these but I don’t think i would read more 🧐
It was really interesting getting to know what happened to Will whilst he was in the upside down and how he could hear them trying to talk to him and when he found Barbs glasses in the pool.
However, I think this would work so much better as a mini Netflix series instead of comics.

2 stars
Michael Cook
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stranger Things is massively successful. It's probably Netflix's biggest hit in the past five years, or so. So, it was only a matter of time before it started branching out into other mediums. Earlier this month, the first official novel - Gwenda Bond's Suspicious Minds - was released, but prior to that, Dark Horse Comics released a limited series - written by Jody Houser and illustrated by Stefano Martino - telling the unseen story of Will Byers during the events of season 1. It's a great idea ...more
Ruthsic
If you found yourself wondering - huh, I wonder what Will Byers was doing during the entirety of season 1! - then this is the comic book for you. The story spans the time from him being chased by the Demigorgon to when he gets home, and touches on key moments in the series when he makes contact with the world from the Upside Down. The artwork of the comic is good - quite realistic in its approach, and gives off that eerie feeling like the show.

However, this comic book can't stand on its own with
John Stanifer
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not really sure why this doesn't have a higher rating. While there were a few times where I felt the characters didn't look as much like the original actors as they could have, that never had much effect on my enjoyment.

The Upside Down and the Demogorgon are almost as creepy here as they are in the show. I love how the story shows the events of Season 1 from Will's perspective, dropping in specific lines of dialogue that fans will recognize from the show.

Favorite scene is a toss-up between t
Ethan
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a huge fan of Stranger Things, I was really excited for this and was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, it’s rather disappointing. The story of what Will experiences while trapped in the Upside Down isn’t particularly compelling (as one might guess, it’s mostly just him running and hiding from the monster). There’s honestly just not that much story there — there’s maybe enough content for two issues, and dragging it out into four was a bad choice. The fact that it was mostly just a ...more
Steve Chaput
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark Horse brings us a graphic novel, written by Jody Houser, that takes us back to the first season of the show. What was Will Byers doing in the Upside Down, while his family and friends searched for him?

Nice art by Stefano Martino, shows how Will was able to survive as well as some flashbacks to the gang playing Dungeons & Dragons. How did those times help Will and shape his understanding of the events happening around him.

This is really aimed at folks who are already familiar with the
Alicia Adams
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss for this advanced copy. I was excited to have a Stranger Things fix while waiting for Season Three to be released.
This is a companion to Season One of the series. Without watching it, the reader will not have a full understanding of what is going on. Unfortunately, the book does not provide fans with enough new material to make it worthwhile. The new information in the book is not thrilling and added nothing to the original story.
I would recommend this to die-hard fans only
Chris
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I received my copy of this from Edelweiss+.

Like most everyone else, I'm a fan of the Netflix series, and I'm glad to have read this parallel story that was largely unnecessary. I liked the comic just fine - the art is generally good, it's what is expected, and it's not nearly as realistic as (if we can use that word to describe) the series. So the medium of a comic suits this title well, I think.

I'm looking forward to the next season even more after having read this.

nosenseofstyle.blogspot.com
María Granger
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Este cómic trata sobre lo que le sucede a Will en el mundo del revés, por lo que es un complemento perfecto de la serie Stranger Things.
Me gusta bastante el modo el modo en que se ha conectado el personaje de Will "el sabio", del juego de mesa que tanto entretiene a la pandilla de amigos, con lo que le va ocurriendo al propio Will en "el otro lado".
No obstante, el cómic no termina de aclarar por qué ocurre todo lo que ocurre al 100% (al menos para mí) y los dibujos en algunas ocasiones no me ter
Sam Young
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven’t watched the series on Nexflix so I didn’t know the story. The comic confused me. I wasn’t sure why or how Will was where he was, how others reached him and what the monster actually was ?? I feel there are too many holes in the Graphic Novel for a person that hasn’t watched the tv series to enjoy the story but I’m sure to all Stranger Things fans this will be a joy as they reminisce over the first story of the seasons and will be able to fill in the gaps themselves
Michael
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
While I wouldn’t say this is necessary reading, nor did it reveal anything extremely trivial, I was still invested. The art, as well as the reversal of many of the scenes we had seen in the show, were really well done here, and get the extra love/higher rating.

Much like how I felt after the first season, which I thought was basically close to perfect and didn’t need a following amount of episodes, this was a welcomed chapter to this story, placing me in a world I enjoy getting lost in.
Joe Jones
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this in individual issues. I love the Netflix show so I had high hopes for the comic. It was alright, but nothing special. There may have been a slight spoiler at the end of issue 4 for the show but we will have to wait for it to return in July to see if the internet rumors are true. Die hard fans of the show might like the extra content but it really did not add anything necessary.
Hapsari Darmastuti
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Stranger Things and I was excited to read the comic because I thought it will give me more perspective and information about the characters and the world. Not so much. This comic is just a short retelling of the events of the first season of the TV series through Will's POV. It really didn't give me any new information and everything just felt too shallow and fast.
Hauntedbybooks
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I'm a big fan of Stranger Things so I was excited when I  discovered this comic! I really enjoyed the artwork and I liked that we got to see what happened to Will in the Upside down. I will warn you that I don't think you will like this comic if you haven't watched the show. I'm interested to see what they will do next.
Terrence
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An entertaining companion to the storyline of Stranger Things season one television program. Fans will enjoy it. I found the art to resemble the actors well enough and having its own flair.
I look forward to additional comic stories from Hawkins, Indiana.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Stranger Things Comics (4 books)
  • Stranger Things #1