Start by marking “Romanov” as Want to Read:
Romanov

Romanov

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  6,801 ratings  ·  1,998 reviews
The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them, and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of saving herself and her family
Published May 7th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Romanov, please sign up.
Mary It is a standalone but she has another magical spin on history called Fawkes!
The Grimm Reader
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  6,801 ratings  ·  1,998 reviews

Start your review of Romanov
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was such a solid Anastasia retelling! Out of all the ones I've read, this one is definitely a stand out. It had such a strong family presence that I connected to instantly and I adored the magical elements that came into play. It was devastating at times, but ultimately such a great story!
MischaS_
***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Romanov family fascinates people for a century. Well, mainly their end does.
And I was curious what Nadine Brandes would do with the story. And mainly how she's going to end the story, that's what I'm always curious to see.

I believe that the book had great potential. However, it seems a bit like a miss. Like the story is always the one note away for me to really enjoy. But it's still an enjoyable r
Nadine Brandes
Jul 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Any ANASTASIA fans in the room?

I have been DYING to share this news with everyone! ROMANOV will be another historical fantasy standalone. And now that I'm squealing, I'm at risk of revealing spoilers (BECAUSE I'M THAT EXCITED.) For those who want a teensy more info about the book's inspiration,you can find it in my dorky YouTube announcement.
jessica
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
like many girls born in the 90s who begged their parents to take them to see the groundbreaking film ‘anastasia’ in theatres, i too have fostered a lifelong obsession with all things romanov. i would never claim to be an expert on russian history or the imperial family, but i have read loads of books about the subject. and because of that, i have a lot of thoughts about this novel. so bear with me.

first, i think this a good novel for anyone looking to dip a little toe into the romanov family po
emma
well, i started using netgalley.

my tbr should fear me.
C.G. Drews
This is an Anastasia retelling that adds in magic and heartbreak and endings that cut deep, but also isn't hopeless. I love that balance. If you know the history of the Romanovs, then you know...this isn't a light quirky story. It picks up when the Romanov family are in exile, banished to a house where they need permission to even open a window. It's basically a waiting game, while they're promised a fair trail, but they're dreading being executed. So the plot isn't an action-adventure...we feel ...more
Vibur
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked Romanov. Really, I did.
But.

The settings. I expected more, except what should be descriptions of places were nothing more than tired, uninspired snippets of text. And sure, there was that whole house arrest shebang, so it'd be unfair of me to fault the setting for being as claustrophobic as it was, but I guess I can fault the writing for being so atmosphereless. Which brings me to the worldbuilding.
Ugh, all that wasted potential. For the most part, the worldbuilding was lost in a sea of
Zainab
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not understand why none of y'all are reading this book at this very moment. Honestly just drop whatever you're reading because I assure you it's not half as good as this book.
I'm sure most of you are familiar with the *children* version of Anastasia. I don't really care for it because I find the true story much better. (Please look it up if you don't know)
Anyway, this is a retelling of Anastasia (as if it wasn't clear) It involves spells and stuff and feels like a better nicer version of th
Tatiana
Feb 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ended up listening to it anyway so that I can give this book an informed 1 star and discuss it better with my book club (virtually!;()

What I learned from this book - Authors, they are as dumb as the rest of us, even though we think they are smarter just because they had some books published. They are also as good at half-ass research. It's clear Nadine Brandes has done just enough wiki-ing to get some historical background for her horrendous "love story" (how would you like to fall for a guy who
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Books for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
No one can out shout a revolution

If the Romanov family lived in the Harry Potter world, it would be this book. Inspiring, beautiful and captivating, I could not have loved this book more. Now, I know that not a ton of people enjoyed this book which honestly doesn’t make much sense to me. I mean, what’s not to like. No, wait. Don’t answer that.

So, what’s this book about
Romanov follows Anastasi
Katie  Hanna
Sep 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: fantasy
DNF.

Please do not mistake the lengthy ramblings below for "I-read-the-whole-book-and-here-are-my-thoughts," but rather, "I-decided-not-to-continue-and-here's-why."

*deep breath* *cracks knuckles*

Romanov is a historical fantasy novel starring 16-year-old Anastasia Nikolaevna, daughter of the last Tsar of Russia. We learn within the first few pages that Anastasia, or "Nastya," aspires to become a Russian 'spell master' (i.e., practitioner of an ancient brand of magic that lets you speak special
Nataliya
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020-reads
First things first. Why and how does a story of a brutal slaughter of a family become not just a Disney cartoon¹ but then a retelling of that cartoon, with magic thrown in? It feels incongruous to me having magic randomly thrown into the prettified version of a gruesome murder.
¹ I have never seen the Disney cartoon (apparently, actually Fox Animation) based on the Romanov family execution. All my knowledge going into this book therefore is based on the actual historic events, and I have zero se
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

From the author of Fawkes comes a magical take on the story of Anastasia Romanov.

The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Ever since I read Fawkes, I knew I loved Nadine’s writing, and when Romanov was announced, I couldn’t be happier. As I have spend my childhood and young adult life in the Balkans, whilst travelling across Europe, I have always admired Russia, and always enjoyed reading all the theories about the Romanov fam
Erin
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Jane
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Reread: I loved this even more the second time through!! So beautiful, raw, and powerful.

ROMANOV is a raw, real story, full of pain and hurt. But it's beautiful. It's full of love and light and courage. Courage to hope beyond the hopeless. It's the kind of story you don't just walk away from unchanged.

I was blown away by the characters. Every single person who appears on the page, even if they're only there for a few chapters, has a heart and a story and a reason. They're like living, breathing
Candace Robinson
This was an interesting read, while getting to know more about the Romanov family. The book is beautifully written with a family bond. I just think historical fantasy/fiction isn’t my favorite genre!
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Feb 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arcs
The book spirits have granted me access to an eARC! and I am!! so happy!!
Serethiel ☽ ✨
July 2018:

HELLO YES I NEED THIS NOW NADINE IS BASICALLY THE BEST AND OH MY WORD AN ANASTASIA RETELLING???? *all the heart-eyes*

May 2019:

I HAVE READ IT. AND I HAVE THOUGHTS. AND I HAVE FEELINGS.

Feeling #1) That. Aside. MIND. BLOWN. (Teach me your ways, Nadine!)

Feeling #2) I A-D-O-R-E-D the Romanovs' family bond! It made me think so much of my own family. I LOVED IT.

Feeling #3) Pg. 152. I still haven't recovered. *sobs*

Feeling #4) Pg. 212 made me cry ALL THE HAPPY TEARS.

Feeling #5) Ch. 31.
Luupi "The Reading Queen"
"Because I have a story I was meant to live. And not even you can unwrite it."

When I first saw this book I was so excited for it to come out because of that stunning cover and the fact that it is a Romanov's retelling. I have to admit I hardly knew the basics of what happened to the family so I was hoping to get more information through this book (which now I know wasn't the best idea). And when I got approved for an ARC, I couldn't have been happier.

"We are Romanovs. The bond of our hear
R.F. Gammon
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Let no one ever call you tame."

THIS WAS FANTASTIC. I don't think it tops Nadine's Out of Time series (because that one truly is just the most fantastic thing ever), but it's still so, so, so good.

Anastasia (or Nastya, as she is called in this book), was the feisty and strong-willed heroine we're all tired of--except she wasn't! She was so complex, and her drive to protect her family was beautiful. She was mischievous. She cared about people. She truly struggled with her desire to love people,
Abigail
My copy of Romanov just came in the mail!!!!!😍😍😍 I also got a $100 wine voucher......I am praying that this book isn't too depressing!
Emer (A Little Haze)
I struggled with this book for a full five days.

I could never truly empathise with the characters because the prose felt so stilted... but more than that I could not reconcile the mix of historical fact with historical fantasy.

This review assumes that you know what happened to Tsar Nicholas II and his family including his much talked about daughter Anastasia and their closest staff. If you are not familiar with the story then this review could be said to be filled with spoilers.

The real story
nadia | notabookshelf
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

lots of spoilers ahead, everything is a spoiler, even if you are familiar with the historical events, spoilers spoilers spoilers !!!!

“You find joy in so many little things. For once... I want to see joy find you. Surprise you. You deserve it.”

and i deserve joy, too! i deserve to love a fantasy novel about the time period that i am so passionate about, right?
Faith M ✨
I received this eARC from Thomas Nelson (publishers) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way. All quotes are taken from the uncorrected proof and are subject to change.

No one could outshout a revolution.

This felt like a bad flashback to when I tried to read an ARC of Dark of the West and could only make it a few chapters in, only this time, I could only make it about 1 chapter and then only barely.

DNF at 7%

My biggest issue with this
Noa ☾
ARC provided through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Where do I even start ? I was really excited to get into this story because Russia + Magic + Anastasia… It just had me, you know ? The plot was very promising but the execution was REALLY bad.

🌺 The magic system : if you asked me to explain the magic in this book, I… can’t. I’m still confused because if I happened to be some spell master and I discovered that the only thing I can use is some spell ink that’s basically useless, I’d
Lisa Elis
time for a lisa review about this lovely work of art called romanov!! first tho, a disclaimer : I have never read anything fictional or nonfictional about the romanovs and I have never seen the movie/musical/whatever of anastasia so I went into this with a completely blank slate of knowledge and expectations, totally open minded and excited to let this be my first experience of the story. with that said, onward we march -

:: I loved the aesthetic of the book!! it's really good!! and it matches th
Lili  Marcus
I’m not that familiar with Russian history but I have heard of Anastasia Romanov and I really want to read a book about her. That’s the first reason why I requested this the moment I saw it on Netgalley. Second, God I love the cover. It really is so beautiful and gorgeous. Just so pretty.

(Please note that I am talking about the fictional book I read, not the real history. I will never comment on a history I’m not familiar with.)

Anyway, let’s get on with stuff that matters more in the book. First
Tricia Mingerink
How do I ever write an adequate review of this amazing book???? It's so good!

Romanov, starts in the middle of the tension. I was actually surprised at where it started at first. I expected it to start before the downfall of the Russian tsar, but instead it focuses on what happens when they are already under house arrest. Already suffering. And it works well for the book. It focuses the book on their final days, giving time to let the book fully tell the story of those last days of tension leadi
m a r y l i z
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
*deep breath*

O K A Y.

I wanted to fall in love with this book. I really did.

But . . . to be perfectly honest, I never connected that much to it.

L I K E S:

- Family bonds! All the close relationships among the Romanovs were lovely. It was evident that they loved each other dearly and would die for each other in an instant. I always adore a good family relationship, yes I do.

-The concept. Anastasia happens to be my FAVORITE Broadway musical, so the concept of an Anastasia retelling?? TAKE MY MONEY.
Sh3lly
RELEASE DAY!

Full review found at Grumpy Book Grrrl.

Release date: May 7, 2019

Thank you Netgalley and publisher for a digital copy to read and review.

• To Best the Boys
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • All That Glitters (Enchantée, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
NADINE BRANDES once spent four days as a sea cook in the name of book research. She is the author of FAWKES, ROMANOV, and the award-winning Out of Time Series. Her inner fangirl perks up at the mention of soul-talk, Quidditch, bookstagram, and Oreos. When she's not busy writing novels about bold living, she's adventuring through Middle Earth or taste-testing a new chai. Nadine, her Auror husband, ...more

Articles featuring this book

A prince who must lead a broken kingdom. A girl who wants to be the greatest rapper of all time. A small-town hero destined to save t...
“Why won't you die?"
"because I have a story I was meant to live. And not even you can unwrite it.”
23 likes