Start by marking “Ghost: Thirteen Haunting Tales to Tell (Scary Children's Books for Kids Age 9 to 12, Ghost Stories for Middle Schoolers)” as Want to Read:

Ghost: Thirteen Haunting Tales to Tell is a ghost story collection for middle schoolers.

Featuring the only true ghost stories in existence (as the book itself will tell you), readers discover 13 eerie encounters that are perfect for sharing—if they dare.

With tales about a finger against the inside of a mirror, a wooded area where the trees look back, and a basement door bl
Published December 1st 2019 by Chronicle Books (first published October 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost

Start your review of Ghost: Thirteen Haunting Tales to Tell (Scary Children's Books for Kids Age 9 to 12, Ghost Stories for Middle Schoolers)
Dannii Elle
Middle grade horror and this exact style of artwork is my new favourite thing!

There are only thirteen true ghost stories, and all of them are contained here. The Illistratus team have combined together art work, which is equal parts eerie and sublime, with creepy short stories that converge on a variety of supernatural topics. Each tale measures in at only a handful of pages and yet every word inside of them packs a punch, for ultimate emotional appeal.

Despite never verging on full-blown horror
Melki
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is kind of an oddball. It looks like a picture book, but the stories inside are aimed squarely at older children. Some of the stories are pretty darned scary, with bad, BAD things happening to the young protagonists. Kids will, I suspect, love it!

I enjoyed all the tales, and the delightfully beautiful but creepy accompanying artwork.

description

The art reminded me, just a bit, of the unsanitized versions of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark illustrations.

Boo!
Jenny
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit, this was awesome! I work at a library and it's very hard to recommend horror books to kids who like horror because HEAVEN FORBID WE SCARE THE CHILDREN, AM I RIGHT?! But this was the perfect blend of creepy, disturbing, scary, but definitely appropriate for kids.

Before I give my thoughts on each individual story, I want to give praise to certain things that most stories had to keep from sounding repetitive. First off, these stories made use of pictures, words, AND sounds. Rather than j
Mehsi
13 spooky and scary tales to keep you up at night, this was an amazing book!

I was definitely in the mood for something spooky and something children/middle grade and I remembered I still had this one on my Kindle to read. I decided to read it and OMG this was just one of the best reads of this year for me.

It all starts when 2 boys from a camp nearby head to the gamekeepers hut in the middle of the night to hear 13 scary stories, they know the man living there has the BEST stories and they want
Alicia
I have never had more fun. I just spent the last thirteen days reading aloud one story each night to my own upper elementary-aged kids. They enjoyed the stories, the illustrations, and were confounded by a few though as we talked about the clues, they were able to piece each one together.

Personally, I am gaga over the illustrations that compliment the stories. It's certainly not a graphic novel, simply an illustrated short story collection of ghost stories with haunting conclusions and some dra
DaNae
So, so many dead children. Just scary enough.

The art is extraordinary.

In a quest to find something to scare the pants of my sixth-graders this year, this book came highly recommended. Yes, many of the stories are retreads of standard tropes; the fortunate thing about introducing books to children is their limited exposure. I'm waffling between the spider story, the library one, or the basement. Perhaps each class will get a different one.
Natalie Pietro
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eerie
If someone told you there are only thirteen true ghost stories in this world would you be curious to hear them. Would you be so curious you wonder deep in the southern marshlands to find Old Man Blackwood’s decaying cabin. Old Man Blackwood with his long grey hair, bristly beard, and his flesh-colored prosthetic arm and hook await the boys to tell his haunting tales of horror. Thirteen haunting tales to tell!
The boys sit with freight as Old Man Blackwood delivers his tales. One after another eac
Amy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books is ART! The stories are very fun and dark, but they would be too short on their own. The illustrations take it up to an eleven! I read tons of ghost stories, and I was reading in broad daylight, and still jumped when the phone rang during a dark and creepy story.

Some of the stories are told in poem form. Extra credit! I checked it out from the library, but it’s so beautiful, I might need to buy a copy.

I recommend this book to fans of Neil Gaiman and even Edgar Allen Poe. Read it!
Tonja Drecker
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chills, thrills, and ghostly moments abound in this beautiful book, which has a high-quality touch along with a good dose of creepiness.

Thirteen spooky tales await to be unleashed in this lovely collection. Already the cover had me excited to dive into this one. The book carries a high quality feel, making it appear as one of those books which is kept on the 'special' shelf to be enjoyed for years. And it's not only the cover and binding which shines with that extra something. The illustrations
Travis
I was attracted to this book by the stark, spooky simplicity of the cover art. The art is the high point of this book. It mostly doesn't match the expectations of the cover, but it is very good art. And the stories aren't anything really special. They aren't bad, but most of them are completely predictable from the first paragraph or two and they are the kind of spooky that is only going to work on their target audience of middle school aged children.

The morality of horror stories is sort of int
Barbara
Skeeter and Thomas, two boys who are staying at Camp Champlain, have heard all the stories about Old Man Blackwood, the camp's groundskeeper. They decide to seek out his cabin after everyone else has gone to bed. When they arrive there, they find far more than they reckoned for. As the boys settle into seats in the cabin, the elderly man promises to regale them with thirteen ghost stories. Each one of the tales is scary and a bit creepy, but when he finishes, he has only told twelve stories. As ...more
Brian Paquin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good collection of short ghost stories. It reminds me a bit of Scary Stories To tell In the Dark. The stories are best with the accompanied creepy illustrations, rather than completely on their own. The stand out stories for me were Reflection, The Old Pond, Depth,and The Boy In the Basement. This is great for readers who want a ghost story that is more like a campfire scare story!!
Cindy
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The combination of the stories and the the illustrations put this over the top.
The type of scary stories that middle grades will love. These would have scared me to death as a kid. Heck they creep me out now--what was that noise I just heard??
Dax
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The art in this is uniquely beautiful and sets the creepy tone well for this collection of stories. While none of these stories are worth writing home about the compilation with the art make it a truly fun read!
Kim
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great combination of short ghost stories and original artwork would make this appealing for middle grade readers in particular. I especially liked the tales told in verse.
Caitlin 🍅Tomato Queen🍅 Theroux
Illustrations? Beautiful. Content? Creep-town. Would I have read this as a kid? Again and again. Brilliant book.
Jenn
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice collection of short horror stories that everyone can enjoy. Creepy illustrations make them even better.
H.R.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Final story was the best.
Kaitlyn
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, the stories ranged from meh to good. The illustrations, however, were wonderful. I think they’re my favorite part of this book.
Elissa
This was a fun book to read. I read it aloud with my 10yo niece and she enjoyed the spooky stories.
Hali
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent addition to the scary stories in my library. Perfect for middle schoolers or older, illustrations really add to the fear factor. Well done.
PWRL
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect.
Allyson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good and spooky! The drawings are a perfect blend of caricature and horror, they go well with the overall scary mood of the stories but are not quite macabre enough to give nightmares.
Monica
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Modern version of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, with illustrations just a little less creepy than Gammel's.
Rorikitty

• Gentleman Jack (Movie Tie-In): The Real Anne Lister
  • Stand Up, Yumi Chung!
  • Black Brother, Black Brother
  • Kriss: The Gift of Wrath
  • Killer Characters (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #8)
  • The Only Black Girls in Town