Start by marking “Midsummer's Mayhem” as Want to Read:
Midsummer's Mayhem

Midsummer's Mayhem

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  20 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Eleven-year-old Mimi dreams of winning a baking competition judged by her celebrity chef idol. But she loses her best helper when her food writer father returns from a business trip mysteriously unable to distinguish between delicious and disgusting. Mimi follows strangely familiar music into the woods behind her house, meets a golden-eyed boy, and bakes with him using ing ...more
Hardcover
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by Yellow Jacket (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Midsummer's Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midsummer's Mayhem

it was amazing 5.00  ·

Emily T
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was incredibly lucky to read this book early on and it is absolutely delightful-full of heart, magical mischief, a main character you can't help but root for, beautiful truths about family and childhood, and food descriptions that will leave your tummy rumbling!

The whole family will want to read this one together on summer afternoons, but be warned-your children will probably beg to start baking after reading!

My daughter, age 7, also loved the book and wanted to add her own review. In her own
Cordelia
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never been more thankful that my mom is able to procure arcs! I thought it was amazing! I know absolutely nothing about baking. But I am a total Shakespeare nerd!and the sheer amount of Shakespeare MAGIC kept me theorizing the whole way through! For those of you who don’t know everything about a Midsummer nights dream it’s still a great book about baking, magic, and family. But if you do know a Midsummer nights dream there is a whole new layer of magic to be discovered! A heartwarming nov ...more
Gillian
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, middle-grade, kids
Imagine a mashup between Shakespeare’s A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM and kids baking competition shows. Throw in a hearty dash of magic, family dynamics, and themes of believing in yourself. Absolutely irresistible, this book will have readers hooked from the very first page. There is so much to love about this fun, tightly plotted, heartfelt story, but aside from the food descriptions (which are seriously mouthwatering!!) my favorite parts were about Mira and her family as she works to find her pla ...more
Katie Zhao
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rajani's magical middle grade debut encompasses so much of what I love in books - magic, heart, family, and a little bit of chaos mixed in for the perfect middle grade read! Readers, young and old alike, will devour this scrumptious debut (hopefully not literally, but who can say with all the yummy, mouthwatering desserts!) Along her personal journey, through the highs and lows, Mimi discovers herself and her place in her family and world. Plus, adding elements of Shakespeare into the story?! Th ...more
Divine
I saw "baking" somewhere in the blurb and I CLICKED WANT TO READ W/O ANY SECOND THOUGHTS. Heartless first made me love reading about baking (tho Idk how to actually bake or cook irl HAHAH) so this better be good! Also, an Indian-American mashup of A Midsummer Night's Dream is just tooo good to be true.
Heather
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous reimagining of Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream. In MIDSUMMER'S MAYHEM, Rajani LaRocca introduced Mimi (the youngest—and so she thought—the least talented member of her family). However much she might not have seen it in herself at first, throughout the story, Mimi displayed all the ways she's special—a caring sister, a kind friend, and an amazing baker. LaRocca sprinkled magic throughout the story the way Mimi decorated her cupcakes, with creativity and imagination.

This b
Andrea Contos
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book early, and I am absolutely jealous of everyone who gets to experience it for the first time.

The entire book is a delight, with expertly-woven magic and a pervading sense of wonderment, set in the real world. Mimi is immediately likable and relatable, and the entire cast adds to the depth of the novel.

The mystery is fun and intriguing, and the food descriptions are inventive and impossible to read without wanting to try them. Hint: Go to LaRocca's blog for de
Malayna Evans
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a word, this book is scrumptious. Food, family and friendship animate every page. It's a magical read. But one word of caution: get ready to add a dash of baking and eating to this reading adventure. You'll be inspired.
Shauna Holyoak
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun and whimsical story! I loved this Midsummer-Night's-Dream inspired tale with the aspiring baker Mimi who makes magic in her kitchen. The story demonstrates the importance of family and friendships and has a sweet (and savory!) ending.
Sam Taylor
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is utterly delightful. Midsummer Night's Dream meets Cupcake Wars, filled with family shenanigans, fairy mischief, and baking gone wonky. Get it for the kid in your life. Get it for the kid in you.
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute joy to read. Mimi's struggle to stand out among her talented siblings tugged at my heartstrings, and the sometimes-magical antics of her family made me laugh out loud. And of course, the baking! I want to make every recipe. Cannot wait to read this story again once it is in the wild! (And am holding out hopes for a companion cookbook!)
Arianne Costner
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Had the pleasure of reading this manuscript. I immediately fell in love with the insightful and sweet main character. I got lost in the story and lovely prose. Rajani does a wonderful job incorporating Shakespeare in a way that's fun and kid friendly and magical and mysterious and... it's just a seriously awesome book.

And the food descriptions!!!

You won't want to miss this one
Remy Lai
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to read this book before it's published. It's a gorgeous book about a girl who's lonely when her best friend moved away. But things change when she meets a mysterious boy... There's also magic and cupcakes!
Nicole Melleby
Jun 28, 2018
Nicole Valentine
Jan 28, 2019
Rajani LaRocca
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Cindy
  • The Bone Garden
  • Good Enough
  • Kat Greene Comes Clean
  • The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society
  • Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Root Beer Candy and Other Miracles
  • Love Like Sky
  • Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat, #1)
  • The Prophet Calls
  • Making Friends with Billy Wong
  • The Line Tender
  • Tiny Infinities
Rajani LaRocca was born in India, raised in Kentucky, and now lives in eastern Massachusetts with her wonderful husband, two brilliant kids, and an impossibly cute dog. She spends her time writing middle grade novels and picture books, practicing medicine, and baking way too many sweet treats. Her debut middle grade, MIDSUMMER'S MAYHEM, is a foodie Indian-American story inspired by A Midsummer Nig ...more