Start by marking “Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France” as Want to Read:
Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France

Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France

(Provence #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  10,235 ratings  ·  270 reviews
A whole new feast of adventures, discoveries, hilarities, and culinary treats, liberally seasoned with a joyous mix of Gallic characters.

After trying--what folly!--to live in other places, Peter Mayle is back in his beloved Provence. He celebrates his homecoming by sharing with us a whole new feast of adventures, discoveries, hilarities, and culinary treats, liberally seas
Published April 25th 2000 by Vintage (first published October 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Encore Provence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encore Provence

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterJulie and Julia by Julie PowellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Nouvelle Cuisine
341 books — 240 voters
A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertInto Thin Air by Jon KrakauerIn a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
Favourite Travel Books
1,745 books — 3,992 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it 4.00  ·

Andrei Bădică
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ceea ce face ca viața de scriitor să fie demnă de trăit este satisfacția de a descoperi că ai reușit să oferi câteva ore agreabile unor oameni pe care nu-i cunoști."
Kaitlyn Barrett
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-related
This reads more like a Provence guidebook and less like a memoir. It has nice weight and heft after the insubstantial stories in Toujours Provence and has the same charming competent humorous writing style as A Year in Provence.

I liked this book because I can see his journalistic tendencies more clearly. I enjoy the way he chases down a story and the lengths to which he’ll go to follow up on interesting possibilities like the perfumery school for blind children, the processing of olive oil and
Robert
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
O carte dezamăgitoare! Mult mai slabă decât "Un an în Provence".
Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Onvan : Encore Provence: New Adventures in the South of France - Nevisande : Peter Mayle - ISBN : 679762698 - ISBN13 : 9780679762690 - Dar 240 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 1992
Madhulika Liddle
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written eleven years after A Year in Provence, Encore Provence continues Peter Mayle’s fascination with this delightfully sunny corner of France. In this book, Mayle (who, if you’re unfamiliar with his Provence books, moved along with his wife from England to Provence after chucking up a career in advertising) discusses—with his inimitable sense of humour and his obvious affection for Provence and its people—all things Provence, from the people to the laws, the land and its produce, the fabulous ...more
Vityska
Коли ти не їдеш в Прованс (хоча й дуже цього хочеш), Прованс приходить до тебе. І то так відчутно, що майже вдихаєш запах лаванди, чуєш, як під подувом містралю шелестить листя на столітніх оливах, слухаєш скрип старих віконниць, відчуваєш смак доброго вина... Здавалося, читати "Ще один рік в Провансі", не прочитавши першої частини - дурна ідея. Ба ні, книга цілком самодостатня. І зачаровує з перших сторінок.
Це не путівник, хоча в ньому й можна знайти назви ресторанів із запаморочливою кухнею,
Arlene
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my, give me another book by Peter Mayle please. This is a revisit to a lovely place that the author loved. Provence - truffles, vineyards, olives. Virtually meeting those lovely people who love wine, gardening and food. A place where peace and quiet still reigns.
Peter Mason
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, Mayle in good form. Having read his previous books some years ago it's nice to revisit the dusty roads of Provence and rekindle dormant daydreams.
Helynne
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
After I read and thoroughly enjoyed Peter Mayle’s Provence (1991) and Toujours Provence (1992), I turned my attention to other readings, not knowing that a few years later (1999) , Mayle had completed a trilogy with Encore Provence, written after he and his wife had left their home in the south of France, and moved to southern California for few years. This delightful account of how they readjusted from California back to Provençal life lives up to the spirit and cultural observations of the fi ...more
Amanda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Given that encore means "again" and toujours means "forever" I understandably mistook this book to be the second in the series, rather than the third, and so I read them out of order.

I think no one will be terribly surprised that this is a watered-down version of A Year in Provence. It is less a memoir and more a collection of essays. I was hoping for more sketches of village characters and anecdotes about gardening, food, and local color. There are some of those, but mostly this reads like a t
Kristen
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gourmets and Tuscan Sun fans
Shelves: non-fiction
For it's genre, this is a great book. I'm a big fan of books where not much has to happen. I read the first of this series, "A Year in Provence," at least five years ago and really enjoyed it. It's the French equivalent of "Under the Tuscan Sun." Stumbled across two of his follow-ups at a rummage sale at preschool and snapped them up. This book was interesting, informative, witty and even laugh-out-loud funny at times. Peter Mayle thinks a great deal about food - where it comes from, how to get ...more
Chantal
I was lucky enough to read the third installment of Peter Mayle's Provence trilogy in Provence itself recently. Not exactly in The Luberon though, we were staying in the slighty busier, more touristy part of Frejus but I'm not complaining, it's a beautiful place.

As with the first two books it's like curling up with an old friend, an old witty francophile friend that causes you to laugh out loud (very possibly startling nearby sun-worshippers)and teaches you something new each time you engage wit
Erika
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Where A Year in Provence by Peter Maylefelt like a Dear Diary and I loved it, Encore Provence feels more like a How To and I only liked it. Encore Provence really gets more specific, and detailed, and Provence loses a lot of its magic fairyland feel, becoming more of a Real Place. A Real Place I want to visit, no doubt, but not asap. I almost wonder if Mayle did this deliberately, to discourage people like me from visiting, and messing up his magic fairyland! If so, touche.
Antoaneta Mitrusheva
Харесвам Питър Мейл и третата част от поредицата му за Прованс ми допадна. Книгата е по-скоро пътепис, а не роман. Сборник от истории, написан с приятно чувство за хумор, усет към детайла, любов към храната и природата. Книга, която носи сетивна наслада и удоволствие.
Duncan
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A pure delight as always and a joy to reread
Samantha
Feb 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Just as entertaining as his other Provence books.
Cheryl
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Love all the Peter books!
Bebe Four
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
J.H. Moncrieff
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Another book of essays about living in Provence by Peter Mayle. Easy to read, easy to put down.

Some of the essays are really interesting, like the one about truffle growers and poachers and buyers. Some are less so, like the one about corkscrews.

I loved Mayle's first book, but this one kind of felt like he'd kept writing about Provence in order to make a living, which I completely understand, but I'd love for him to write another cohesive story rather than these collections.

As always, this book
John Nebauer
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, travel
Because living in the south of France, or Normandy, or Italy, sounds so wonderfully exotic and impossible, reading about those who have chosen to do is both wonderful and a cause for jealousy. I read A Year in Provence and Toujours Provence many years ago, and happily both continue to reside on my shelves. I borrowed Encore Provence from my workplace for some Christmas/New Year relaxation.

Written a decade after the first two volumes, the elapsed time included relocation to California. This volu
bookyeti
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, reviewed, travel
You’ve got Mayle!

Peter Mayle’s “Encore Provence” …the third novel in his Provence series. His books are always great fun; reading them is like going on vacation. In this installment of the series, Mayle (an Englishman by birth) writes about returning to Provence after a four year absence, when he and wife moved back to England. The novel - so vivid and rich in its explanation of the smallest detail of life in Provence - makes one yearn to be transplanted to that picturesque landscape.

The charac
Em
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelogue
After perusing I find it is seven years since I read a bit of Peter Mayle during my summer vacation. That’s the best way to read Mayle, basking in the sun, alongside shimmering water. I read the chapter about food in Provence over a lunch of cold grilled/smoked chicken with salsa and chilled sliced tomatoes, it was delicious both prose and meal. My other fond passages were the ‘Unsolved Murder of the Handsome Butcher’, ‘Curious Reasons for Liking Provence’, ‘Eight Ways to Spend a Summer Afternoo ...more
Moody Kitty
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
These are some new stories after the author returned to Provence after several years in America. To my surprise, there is reference to Ruth Reichl of the New York Times (not a very pleasant impression from Ruth though), it's interesting because I'm a fan of Ruth Reichl's books too (but I only remember that fling in Paris :/)
This book has many charming moments but like Toujours Provence, it's not tightly bound around a timeline in A Year in Provence. The first book sounds more like "an adventure"
Annie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The final book in the series written after being absent for a few years. Lovely fun read with lots of trivial but interesting info on Provence. I might have never known about the school for blind children started by L'Occitane or that the best corkscrews in the world are made by Langiuole the French knife makers, or that juniper wood is a natural moth and insect repellent. I am looking forward to moving on to his novels next.
David
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This isn't what I feel is Mayle's best in his examinations on Provence, but it's still one of the better ones. Much of what he talks about here is stuff he's covered before, though from a period of absence. Still, like in the others I like best, he follows where the whims take him as opposed to trying to make things fit too much of a structure. It works better for me and I think it suits the material more. I certainly enjoyed reading.
Andrea
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really liked the first two books. This one is so boring I could hardly get through it. Peter Mayle needs to find a new topic to write about because this one is tired. I think the difference is that in the first two books he wrote about things that happened to him, but in this book, he is doing research and trying to find stories and things to happen to him. This one is heading to the giveaway pile.
Kathy
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice visit back to what we read in A Year in Province. Mayle still has a keen eye and sense of kind humor to the residents of Province and I find his writing interesting and honest. There will be some call backs to the first book in this series, but it reads much better than the second book, Toujours Provence. If you enjoyed A Year in Province, I would recommend skipping Toujours and going straight to this one.
Melinda
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Peter Mayle delivers again. I just read this on my South of France vacation and enjoyed it immensely. I'd already read "A Year in Provence" and "Toujours Provence" and I recommend reading those first. They are light reads, but highly entertaining, and Mayle has a knack for nailing the Provencial lifestyle. Numerous times as I was reading it, it seemed as though he were describing a situation I'd just encountered. Best read during or after a trip to Southern France.
E
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Mayle's A Day in Provence and Toujours Provence which I read several years ago. Encore Provence was just as good. It's about Mayle's experiences living in Provence (he's an Englishman). This one was written 10 years after the second book. This was written 12 years ago, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he describes. He has a delightful way of explaining his life and escapades in Provence. It's like you're sitting with him as he discusses them. Entertaining.
Jo Anne
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
IF you are a travel buff and/or a gourmand (of the armchair type) than Encore Provence is for you. Peter Mayle has a gentle, friendly writing style, and a deep love and respect for his subject. I'm not a foodie; wine and truffles are not for me, but just reading about them make me feel well traveled and well fed.

Couple this book with Frances Mayes' Under the Tuscan Sun (book AND movie) and travel to wonderful places, with no lines at the airport.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct my typo 3 17 Jul 28, 2017 07:43AM
  • The Olive Farm: A Memoir of Life, Love, and Olive Oil in the South of France
  • Bella Tuscany
  • Words in a French Life: Lessons in Love and Language from the South of France
  • On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town
  • The Reluctant Tuscan: How I Discovered My Inner Italian
  • The Hills of Tuscany
  • I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do): Living in a Small Village in Brittany
  • French or Foe?: Getting the Most Out of Visiting, Living and Working in France
  • French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French
  • From Here, You Can't See Paris: Seasons of a French Village and Its Restaurant
  • On Mexican Time: A New Life In San Miguel
  • Living in a Foreign Language: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Love in Italy
  • An Italian Education
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • A Thousand Days in Tuscany: A Bittersweet Adventure
  • Walks in Hemingway's Paris: A Guide to Paris for the Literary Traveler
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • Extra Virgin (Italy series, #1)
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939, in Brighton) was a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have ...more

Provence (7 books)
  • A Year in Provence
  • Toujours Provence
  • Hotel Pastis: A Novel of Provence
  • Provence A-Z
  • Provence from the Air
  • A Chef In Provence
“The French, it seems to me, strike a happy balance between intimacy and reserve. Some of this must be helped by the language, which lends itself to graceful expression even when dealing with fairly basic subjects.... And there's that famously elegant subtitle from a classic Western.
COWBOY: "Gimme a shot of red-eye."
SUBTITLE: "Un Dubonnet, s'il vous plait."
No wonder French was the language of diplomacy for all those years.”
3 likes
“I have a terrible weakness for collecting snatches of other people's conversations, and occasionally I'm rewarded with unusual fragments of knowledge. My favorite of the day came from a large but shapely woman sitting nearby whom I learned was the owner of a local lingerie shop. 'Beh oui,' she said to her companion, waving her spoon for emphasis, 'il faut du temps pour la corsetterie.' You can't argue with that. I made a mental note not to rush things next time I was shopping for a corset, and leaned back to allow the waiter through with the next course.” 3 likes