Start by marking “Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate

Bittersweet: Recipes and Tales from a Life in Chocolate

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It is hard, today, to imagine a time when the word bittersweet was rarely spoken, when 70 percent of the chocolate purchased by Americans was milk chocolate. Today's world of chocolate is a much larger universe, where not only is the quality better and variety wider, but the very composition of the chocolate has changed. To do justice to these new chocolates, which contain ...more
Published November 15th 2003 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about Bittersweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bittersweet

Mary Lamb
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully rich story of the author's experiences with Chocolate. It is also an amazing cookbook (meaning I have at least 10 of the recipes that I want to try). I love knowing how/where she acquired a recipe and what she has done to improve it.
I appreciate her documenting of her "experiments" with chocolate and the chocolate recipes. Her CHOCOLATE NOTES at the end of each recipe are extremely helpful.
If you love chocolate, and love cooking with chocolate, this may just be the only boo
Bookshop
Jul 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I received the book as a birthday present from my dear friends in AD (Thank you people!!). I was intrigued by its numerous accolades in Amazon: readers hail this book as the authority in chocolate and the writer, an expert. Alice Medrich owns a dessert shop in Berkeley, California and learns her trade in Paris. However, the claim that she grew up with the shortening laden chocolate cakes like so many people in America and, therefore, was enchanted by proper chocolate in Paris worries me. Can it ...more
Shelah
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
My friend Lyn owns this book, and I've spent some time perusing it at her house. When I found it on the half-off cookbook rack at Central Market, I had to take it home with me. For about five minutes, I considered giving it to my mom, and then I opened it and realized she'd have to buy her own copy if she wanted it. It's part scientific guide about the different types of chocolate, part memoir about Medrich's own awakening to her chocoholism, part experimental text (chocolate and greens, anyone? ...more
Jamie
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Queen, goddess, rock star of chocolate desserts gives us her memoir and best recipes folded into a rich batter of lessons learned and full-color photographs that make you drool first and bake later. If you want to know about Alice Medrich's career, she'll tell you about it here in her own voice. If you want a recipe for the absolutely BEST chocolate cookies on this planet ("Bittersweet Decadence Cookies"), then do yourself the favor of getting this book now. It's a tome of Yum-and-Wow-and-Holy-C ...more
Celeste Knoll
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking
I owned this book for about 8 years without baking anything out of it. Just this year I have seen recipes referenced twice in various baking blogs. I dusted it off and tried two recipes which I love. The Real Chocolate Wafers (p. 284) are delicious. I am using them today as a crust for a New York style cheesecake. The Best Cocoa Brownies (p. 95) are easy to make and wonderful. I've stayed away from homemade brownies because the boxed ones are just fine, but these changed my mind.
Kate
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For those who like it dark! I hardly think milk chocolate is worth eating. Fabulous recipes for Queen of Sheba, brownies, and tortes abound! Try the Budini, a baked chocolate pudding, and experience the divine...the amazing thing about this book is how un-complicated most of the recipes are. You can have most of the delictable treats ready in under an hour.
Jenn
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a laid-back, practical approach to learning about and working with chocolate, Alice is the chef for you. This book also contains the best guide to home-tempering chocolate that I have yet to find.
Marian
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a great cookbook when you want to bake something for a special occasion - recipes are a little more difficult than some and may require unusual ingredients. It's worth it. Favorite recipes from this book are Tiger Cake and Bittersweet Decadence Cookies. Yum!
Beka
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
A lot of info about chocolate, but I wish there were more pictures and that they were next to the recipes instead of in separate sections.
Grace
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The segment on brownies is amazing. Medrich is a chemist and a scientist.
Cindie Harp
I made Albert's mousse
Kyla
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just really love to bake and this is an absorbing read on top of it. Borrowed from the library and is a definite "want to buy" now.
Kathy
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just looking at all the different chocolate recipes as I am doing some serious baking soon.
Kate W
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, favorites
This is the best chocolate book I know of. It was recommended to me by my cousin Pat. She lives in Berkley and visits this author's chocolate cafe there.
Mary
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really good information for how to use different kinds of chocolate across recipes
Michelle
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every recipe I've tried has been outstanding. I've enjoyed reading her text, too, which is a nice bonus for a cookbook.
Oyunaa
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
how can i read this book?
kaity
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My interest in exploring this book outlasts it's library renewal period. I like that she talks so much about the chemistry of cooking with chocolate. Will revisit to try some recipes soon.
Anjali
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Not quite a memoir, but meatier than a straight cookbook. It'll make you want to eat like 20 bars of good dark chocolate.
Cherie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
B Delicious chocolately recipes; a lot are quite fussy, but she's the chocolate expert. If you have someone in your life who loves chocolate, buy them this book or bake everything out of it.
Arifa Javaid
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
  • The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Macarons