Start by marking “Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More” as Want to Read:

Hailed by the New York Times, Esquire, and the Atlantic Monthly as one of the best delicatessens in the country, Zingerman’s is a trusted source for superior ingredients — and an equally dependable supplier of reliable information about food. Now, Ari Weinzweig, the founder of Zingerman’s, shares two decades of knowledge gained in his pursuit of the world’s finest food pro ...more
Published November 14th 2003 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
935 books — 1,555 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelChocolat by Joanne Harris
Food Reads
341 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I think the recipes in this one are actually unnecessary. It's much more useful for the how-to-choose parts. Also not a fan of the illustrations, but that's incidental and no reason to get a hate-on for it. An ok book, but a good resource, if that makes sense.
Alex
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book I'll never stop reading.
Amanda Engler
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a reference book really - something I'll keep on my cookbook shelf and turn to often when needed. The detail and first-hand research is almost overwhelming, so I enjoyed reading in smaller chunks in between other books. The recipes are a nice bonus and I look forward to trying some.
Laura Sharp
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, the writing is fun and informative, and it makes you want to go out and find the best ingredients, because if you think about it, you know you aren't doing yourself any favors buying that bottle of store brand extra virgin olive oil - I mean it's basically a lie... I loved his recourses and recommendations throughout the book for brands and where to buy these top notch foods. It makes my mouth water just thinking about real vanilia beans and chocolate! On the chapter of brea ...more
Ietrio
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: practical
A nice hybrid of a how to choose instruction book and cookbook with ugly illustrations. A bit surprised of the choice of brands, but probably that has to do with the custom regulations and who gets to be imported.
john worthington
I love this book because I love food and reading about food!

Tons of valuable information. Don't miss it ! Good to keep as a reference. He has so much knowledge and is easy to read.
Amanda
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Zingerman's is probably how I settled on attending UM
Kate
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I've eaten at restaurants where the food was $60 a plate, diners and dives, plasticky chain places, and trendy neighborhood cafes. But wherever I go and whatever I eat, nothing hits the spot like a Zingerman's sandwhich ("new" pickle on the side please).

this book is on my christmas list/eventually i've got to break down and buy this book list. My mom has a torn and tattered copy, but now that I've moved away, i'm realizing it's a gourmet cooking staple I've really got to get for myself. Years ag
Daniel
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How much do you value your bread, cheese, salt, rice, pasta, oil, and meat? How about honey, chocolate, cornmeal, saffron, pepper, balsamic vinegar, tea, or vanilla? Ari Weinzweig instructs on how to find the best of each of these products, and suggests a few recipes by which a novice cook might make use of them.

Zingerman's restaurant and deli in Ann Arbor does a brisk trade in eye-poppingly expensive goods, but Weinzwig contends that even those priced out of such treats will find other gastrono
Will
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love to cook and eat
Shelves: favorites, foodbooks
This isn't a cookbook, though it contains some of the best recipes I've used. It's really a guide to eating and choosing good foods. If you're interested in learning how to choose the best cheeses, vinegars, oils, chocolates, peppers, and other staples, this book will tell you how and give you some new ideas about how to use them. It also has some nice sections on the histories of each ingredient, and lists of places where you can order some hard-to-find stuff. A definite must for any foodie.
Anastasia
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodilicious
All you ever wanted to know about the ingredients that make up a Mediterranean-style diet. With a Jewish-deli twist, of course.

The author's a total devotee to quality food and I loved reading about where it all comes from and the process of getting an ingredient to the store... from pressing olives and milling cornmeal in Tuscany, to a really great artisan bread, this guys was talkin' my foodie language. Cute cartoon pix and recipes.
Melissa
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Found this book in the designated "take my crap, please!" pile in my apartment building, and was delighted. I love Zingermans, and I am total food snob, so this book was right up my alley. Although my one complaint is that it has too much fascinating information about things I love, which is hardly a complaint at all.
Noah
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Disclaimer: I did work at Zingerman's for about six years through high school and college.
That aside, this is a fantastic cookbook. Ari's recipes are easy to follow, and provides a whole lot of knowledge on the individual ingredients. Much more than just your average cookbook.
Erika
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the coolest book!!!!! He basically teaches you how to be a foodie and recognize high-quality food products from their overly processed counterparts. The section on olive oil and vanilla was life changing for me.
megan
May 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Foodies
Shelves: cookingeatingetc
This is a really excellent book if you want to know more about how to pick the best ingredients for cooking--what to skimp on and what to really indulge in. I wish there were more recipes and I'm a big fan of pictures with recipes--so that's why it doesnt' get 5 stars.
taylor cocalis
May 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
one can not help but love ari. . . his writing is laid back, funny, approachable, and enlightening.

great book to just pick up and read bits at a time. excellent resource for history, production, traditions, and enjoyment of food.

Yasmeen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is quite old, but it taught me how to choose the best ingredients and gave me pointers I couldn't find online. I absolutely recommend it to gourmands. In fact, everyone. Why buy something awful when you can educate yourself and buy the real stuff?
Susan
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: would-be foodies
If $15 sounds like a lot of money for a sandwich, then I know you've never been to Zingerman's deli in Ann Arbor. It's worth it. This book explains why. It sort of tells you how to tell the reasons why some fancy foodstuffs are seriously superior, and others are just sucker bait.
Marshaferz
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
They actually have me convinced that I want to spend $400 an ounce on balsamic vinegar. I won't, but I want to....
Ben
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ben by: Kyle
Shelves: culinary
It made me love balsamic vinegar. Like, really love it. That alone makes this book worth it.
Yaaresse
Probably so far outdated now that it would be useless, but when released was a terrific resource.
Karina Ghirdan
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
So much good overall food information about buying and eating...
Lynda
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.
Jessica
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-herbs
The olive oil chapter has changed my life forever.
Christopher Prosser
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it
cookbooks
Ali O'Hara
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, food, meh
I was disappointed with this book. I didn't find it all that helpful or interesting.
Silver_Raven
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
hope its good.

silver raven
Kelly Dunham
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not suprising, I know.

Fav recipes include polenta with taleggio, pasta with pepper and pecorino (so quick and easy) and miguel's mother's macaroni.

Eric Hines

• The Improvisational Cook
  • Cheese Primer
  • Aromas of Aleppo: The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews
  • Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)
  • Roasting-A Simple Art
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking
  • The Foster's Market Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night
  • French Farmhouse Cookbook
CO-FOUNDER, ZINGERMAN'S COMMUNITY OF BUSINESSES

In 1982, Ari Weinzweig, along with his partner Paul Saginaw, founded Zingerman’s Delicatessen with a $20,000 bank loan, a Russian History degree from the University of Michigan, 4 years of experience washing dishes, cooking and managing in restaurant kitchens and chutzpah from his hometown of Chicago. They opened the doors with 2 employees and a small