Start by marking “Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  23,121 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Who’s hungry? EVERYONE. Who has time to cook? NO ONE. Dig out the slow cooker. Add a second and a third if you wish. Fill one with main-dish fixins and the others with go-alongs. Do it in the morning—or between work and after-school events. Come home to richly-flavored, ready-to-serve food. Slow cookers are having a comeback. With good reason. They are friends on a day of ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Elissa
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
There are many things that annoy me about this cookbook. The most annoying thing is that the author/editor includes several recipes for the same thing but with (sometime very) slight alterations. I mean honestly, do you really want to figure out which of 5 beef stew recipes is the one for you when the ingredient lists look fairly similar? I found maybe 3 or 4 recipe that look useful to me. I hate that there are no pictures- I like to see if what I'm cooking is looking at all like it should. Also ...more
Ali
Dec 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I love recipes for my slow cooker, but this cookbook is quite frustrating. It is set up by readers submitting their recipes. There are multiple recipes of the same kind, but different ways and ingredients. There are no pictures to show what your food is going to look like after cooking....and with a slow cooker I think that is important because people don't really want to eat something that looks like the dogs dinner. This book seemed like a precursor to the website Allrecipes, but without the p ...more
Christy Sibila
Some of the recipes call for an awful lot of Velveeta, but if you snoop around enough, you will find a handful of yummy and healthy recipes that are easy to make.
Leigh
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
An absolutely terrific cookbook offering plenty of easy, yummy recipes specific to slow cookers. The ingredients are not esoteric and the recipes are easy to follow. The recipes were created by real cooks in real kitchens, as opposed to chefs in test kitchens who never seem to know or care what real people eat and that real people have lives outside the kitchen. Finally, the index is plenty comprehensive, so if you feel like making something that involves mostly potatoes, or steak or beans, no p ...more
Lisa  Carlson
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those beginning to use a crockpot
Recommended to Lisa by: found it in the cooking section of my local bookstore
Shelves: food
This is a perfect cookbook for those wanting to begin doing slow cooker cooking. The beef stew recipe on page 71 is a favorite especially during the winter months here in Minnesota. I've got two teens who have different tastes, the tater tot casserole on 116 is easy and agreeable for everyone. Having used my first slow cooker for 20 years it finally wore out and the purchase of the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker makes this type of cooking a breeze.
Jen
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-drinks
I wish "can of cream of mushroom soup" wasn't the key ingredient in almost every recipe. Adding MSG to my food isn't something that interests me.
Steven Peterson
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook is a great resource for those of us who can't always fix meals in the afternoon. Many people are busy at work and have little time, once they get home at the end of the day, to fix a proper meal.

This cookbook is one option for such people. I don't use the crockpot more than once a week or so, but for those days when a slow-cooked meal is called for, this is a very helpful cookbook.

One of the nice aspects of this volume is that it is, in a sense, a "populist co
Nancy
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is presently my favorite cookbook. Winter time is a great time to use the crock pot to prepare wonderful stews, try yummy new spaghetti sauce recipes, even do a fragrant chicken without turning on the oven. I don't think I would eat properly without my helper book. I am usually able to feed myself for a whole week, or freeze part of a dish for another time. As an exceptionally busy person, constantly on the go, this savory cookbook is a godsend.
Deb Spaulding
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this cookbook at home. It is my go-to for quick, easy, delicious meals.
Lynn
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was home visiting my parents over the holidays several years ago. While there, my dad made the best stroganoff dish. Turns out the recipe came from this cookbook. Grabbed a copy for myself. Have made a number of recipes. Most are pretty simple, as is generally the case with crockpot cooking. Lacks pictures, multiples of similar recipes, but recipes are plentiful. Nothing fancy.
Kaitlyn
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written book. Enjoyed reading it.
♥ Sandi ❣
Great recipes for a crock pot!!
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I use this one constantly. Even though some of the recipes are inedible for me as they are, because of all the dairy products, reading them helps me understand what proportions of ingredients to use when I'm making up my own slow-cooker creations, usually with excellent results. I like this one, but in a lot of cases I'm looking mostly at entertainment value here, not edibility. When a recipe tells me to blend ketchup, grape jelly, and Vienna sausages and simmer for 4 hours, I'm not exactly temp ...more
Meghan
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only complaint about this book is the lack of pictures, so if you are someone who needs the pictures this cookbook isn't for you. This cookbook is full of tried and true recipes that readers have submitted to be complied into this cookbook. Now this cookbook may have 3 different receipts for the same recipe, for instance chicken cacciatore, however that is nice because it allows you to look at what you have on hand and work with that so it is a nice perk to this cookbook. I also like the simp ...more
Jennifer Fluegge
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YEAH, they have cookbooks on here, too! This book is a great collection of recipes for the crock-pot--I made one from here just the other day, actually! The problem for me is doing the planning so that I get the stuff in the crockpot in the morning before I leave for work..I am always glad when I do, though! Another issue is that oftentimes, the crockpots cook alot faster and hotter these days so if I put it in before I leave for work,by the time I get home, the stuff is overdone bigtime! Howeve ...more
Cheree
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With so many recipes containing canned food, I almost regret ever buying this book. That being said, the ONLY recipe I ever make with canned food in it came from this book: Chicken Delicious (p. 170) is perfect that wintry, cold day when you or family members are feeling under the weather and just don't feel up to cooking (which is a rare day for me). It's the only reason I keep a single can each of cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup in our pantry at all times. I have noticed others ...more
Greta
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I got this book out of the library after seeing the sheer volume of recipes it contained. But whn I got home and started perusing the recipes, I realized that the bulk of them were based on canned ingredients - and that the sodium levels were astronomical as a result. There were a few hidden gems, but it took a lot of searching to find them. If I'm going to buy a cookbook, I want to know that it's something I'll turn to time and again for healthy, simple recipes. If I want a lot of salt and othe ...more
Ebookwormy1
This is an excellent resource for crock pot cooking. Being able to assemble dinner in the morning and know it is cooking away and you don't have to worry about it for the day is a WONDERFUL feeling. It is also a nice way to cook in the summer as the crock pot throws off less heat than my oven.

I have been very happy with the recipes I've made, as well as the breadth of this book (soups, main meals, meat, ect.).

My one critique is that many of the recipes, while convenient and possibly tasty, lack
Christopher
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily our favorite crock pot cook book at my house. Many of the recipes have very simple preparation which can be performed in a modicum of time even by the most unskilled kitchen dullards like myself :)

Unlike many crock pot cookbooks we've seen where bland food seems to be the norm, a number of recipes from this one are in fact quite flavorful and tasty. We just made the 'Irish Beef Stew' (Not sure REALLY how Irish it is, but it's yummy :).

Can't recommend this book highly enough for pe
Diana Thomsen
I found this cookbook to be a bit of a disappointment. Too many (nearly) identical recipes, no pictures, and far too much reliance on canned condensed soup. Which I refuse to buy or use. Also, the index does not include all recipes that use a specific ingredient (i.e. zucchini), making it less than useful when trying to decide what to cook with what you have. Also, the recipes don't specify what size slow cooker to use, and this really does matter. I did manage to get a few recipes that did what ...more
Jerry
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has a lot of recipes, many of them very similar. There is practically no editorializing here, just ingredient lists and instructions. There are usually three or four recipes per page, and 258 pages. You can do the math. With that many recipes, there are going to be a lot of good and a lot of “bad” recipes. The first couple I tried were okay, but nothing special. But most recently I found the Caribbean Black Bean stew, and the Greek chicken, very good, and of course both are very simple ...more
Kathy
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I use this cookbook all the time! One of the best things I love about it is that there are often several recipes for the same meal. If I don't have all the ingredients for a specific version, I can take different parts from similar recipes. An example would be sloppy joes. There are a few different versions and I can mix and match ingredients. I am not the most creative or ambitious cook, so this cookbook has been fantastic!
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
You do have to becareful, because some of this will burn if you fix it and leave for work all day. If you come home at lunch & turn it on, you are good to go. OR if you have great kids who come home from school that can get your already prepped pot out of the frig & tun it on...

A few of the recipes, like the stews with more sause/gravy/soup are easy fixes... Just not the pasta dishes or the ones that actually bake something.
Me
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just got this book a few weeks ago and have already tried a few recipes and marked them as favorites. The recipes are presented in the simplest terms and offer cooking times for both high and low settings. Well organized and there is literally a multitude of recipes and ones that you typically don't see in Slow Cooker cookbooks such as apple butter.
Missy
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an ok cookbook. Points docked for recipes containing chicken broth yet labeled as "vegetarian". i thought many recipes overlapped so that was disappointing too. I suppose the later could be good to help one create their own recipe based on the tweaked elements, but more unique recipes would be good.
Angie
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves to cook or try new recipes
A friend of mine shared some recipes out of this book with me over the week-end . I HAD to buy myself a copy of this cookbook today ! I read the backs of the cereal box , so why not read a cook book ?
Seriously it is a great book with wonderful recipes in it . I plan to add a few of the other Fix It and Forget It books to my cookbook collection ;-)
Kathy Kennedy
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I have had a slow cooker for for a couple of years and only used it here and there. I found this book in the library and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. OMgoodness. I have made everything from apple butter and whole wheat bread to omelets and stews in my slow cooker and the its so easy! I am getting this book for myself!
Daphne
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a ton of recipes. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because there seem to be many repeated recipes. I think there were more than 10 chili recipes. It also didn't seem to have anything in there I didn't already know about slow cooking, so maybe it is more for someone first using a slow cooker.
Bernie
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best slow cooker cookbook. I'm always trying different recipes from this cookbook and they turn out good. What makes this book better than other slow cooker cookbooks is that the recipes are submitted by the average person. They have perfected the recipes to satisfy their families and the passed them on to us.
Carrie
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Great variety of recipes, my copy has at least a dozen post-it flags sticking out so I can find what I am looking for. It requires patience to wade through because there is not an easy index or divided sections.
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining: Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round
  • Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook
  • Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
  • Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!