Start by marking “A Little Princess” as Want to Read:
A Little Princess

A Little Princess

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,727 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Following Sterling's spectacularly successful launch of its children's classic novels (240,000 books in print to date),comes a dazzling new series: Classic Starts. The stories are abridged; the quality is complete. Classic Starts treats the world's beloved tales (and children) with the respect they deserve--all at an incomparable price.
Poor Sara Crewe. Once upon a time her
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

Tessa
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I could not find a copy of the original Frances Hodgson Burnett novel anywhere, but this children's adaptation was a good substitute/summary.

A friend told me to read this story and pay attention to Sara. No matter what anyone said to her, how badly she was treated, or how awful her circumstances were, Sara knew who she was. She knew that she was valuable; she rested in her identity as a princess. She felt despair, and she had moments of imperfection, but it made her human. Her gentle strength a
Madeline Flowers
The ook I'm reading is acctually longer. I coulldn't find the right title. But this is an amazing book and Definatly worth reading.
Sar San
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was shocking to learn that a rich lovely and kind girl suddenly became poor after her dad decided to suicide because of debt. She was badly treated at school where she once’s was regarded as a princess. There were more cruel consequences happening to her. Let’s explore it!
VJ
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was only familiar with the Shirley Temple version of this story and was pleased to finally read a version of the original Burnett book. I picked up this lovely hardbound copy at my Friends of the Library book sale, which I will donate to Better World Books.

Sara Crewe is living in Miss Minchin's boarding school while her father goes on a business trip to India. There, he contracts brain fever and dies, leaving Sara orphaned and at the mercy of Miss Minchin, a shrewd shrew drawn to perfection. S
Kiran Galsinh
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sara Crew is a very spoiled girl because she is all her father has. He will do anything for her. But just because Sara is spoiled doesn't mean she lets it get in the way of kindness. Her father is a British soldier and he had to leave so he put Sara into a boarding school for girls, a place where her mother used to go to. At first the mistress is nice but when her father leaves things change. Miss Minchin is hostile towards Sara but contains most of it because Sara makes her school look good. On ...more
Anna Gille
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This book is about a girl that is named Sara. She is 7 in the beginning, but for most of the time, she is 11. She is spoiled by her father Captain Crewe, and he always treats Sara like a princess. Then Sara is sent to a boarding school, because her dad has to go and fight in world war one. She doesn't remember a thing about her mom though because her mother died when Sara was just 2. Sara is a happy little girl who believes in magic and has a huge imagination. When she is at the boarding school,
Jeeyeon Kang
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I choose this book because my mom brought it one day for me to read saying that she read it when she was little. This story is about a little girl who had to live in a all girls house because her father couldn't take care of her. But her life changes when her father dies and cant pay her rent fess. In the house she lives as a princess but she becomes a slave after her father died. My favorite quote in the book is "Oh no, I left you sleeping because you looked so tired". This showed how she cared ...more
Asuka Mai
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sara Crewe seorang putri dari saudagar kaya, dikirimkan ayahnya ke Inggris untuk sekolah asrama.
Walaupun Sara anak yang kaya, namun ia tidak sombong. Ia pun mempunyai imajinasi yang tinggi, suka berdongeng kepada teman-temannya.

Dibawah Miss Minchin sebagai kepala asrama yang kejam dan mata duitan, di hari ultah Sara. Miss Minchin membuat pesta ultah besar-besaran untuk Sara, berharap ayah Sara akan mengganti uang nya 2 kali lipat.

Namun ditengah pesta nya yang meriah kabar buruk datang menimpa h
Ebookwormy1
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This adaptation faithfully captures the classic story for elementary (or adults short on time) readers. This is not a highly layered or nuanced treatment, but children will be familiar with the story line and character development, as well as able to determine if the full length original is of interest.

Most of the editing made sense to me, but I'm still troubled as to why they changed the rug from red to blue, but left the rose colored lamp, rose colored? It's the little things that niggle at yo
Amanda
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because it is a timeless classic.This book is about a girl, named Sara Crewe, who is the daughter of a wealthy captain. He is called to join the war and when he is reported dead, she must go to a dreadful school called miss Minchin's school For Girls.I don't really have a favorite quote from this book, but my favorite part of this book is when Sara by calms Lottie down by telling her a story.The author's writing style is written through the characters of the book.I would recom ...more
Margaret
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: princesses, favorites
I love this book. And I love Sara. Even though, her dad gives such nice things, what really makes her special is her character. She is so kind, and is always concerned for others. In addition, she has such good imagination and believes in herself. Even when times get hard and she has to work as a servant girl and lived in an old attic.

I also like how in the back of the book, there are discussion questions that you can think about after you finishing read it.
Debbie
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my kids without remembering the story. My 8 and 6 year-olds really liked it!It changed my daughter's way of thinking. After we finished, she went through her clothes and toys and wants to give them away to kids who don't have much. Love her.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved this story and enjoyed it even more reading it along with my little girl. Such a sweet story!
Anelya
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents with little kids; Beginning readers; Everybody at least once
Recommended to Anelya by: My Mom?
The Classic Starts version of "A Little Princess" is a book I've read for absolute years. I have no idea when it came into my life, but I know, as a little girl, I read it over and over. I identified so strongly with the main character, Sara, and aspired to be as similar to her as I could be. I suppose she was my Disney Princess.

The tragic, yet magic, tale of Sara Crewe, a little girl who loses her father and her fortune and is forced to work for an awful headmistress as a servant girl is time-h
Nandini
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was nine. Needless to say, I was mesmerized by it and it became my favourite. The book is a must read for everyone, the age doesn't matter. It teaches us so much: caring for the little things, being proud of yourself, always being kind and never letting anyone's cruel words get to you and to continue fighting. Sara Crewe might seem like an unrealistic character, but she is all that we should aspire to be. How even after her world is turned upside down, she is forced into ...more
Kathleen
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Little Princess is the story of a girl named Sarah that even though she is rich she is not spoiled. She makes believe and tells stories to all her friends at the boarding school she attends. One day news comes that all her money is gone and her life drastically changes. Suddenly she is poor and doesn't know if she can make believe anymore.
Kemah
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall this book was very good I really like how the main character showed courage and bravery. The main character went though stressful times and still keep her head up. This book can certainly related Cinderella the movie so if you like the theme of that movie I will encourage you to read this book.
Beryl Weng
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt sorry for what Sara suffered, but also proud of her that no matter how hard the life is she never give up and always a kind,sweety, brave girl.
Gabby Harefa
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A lovable little behaved princess
Bashayer Almarri
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is bitter sweet it shows that every bad thing that happens to you is just a setback for something just little bit better.
Kakawa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read that book along time ago but i thought i would write my review Because that book is just so GREAT, It just reminded me of my childhood and the series it self ; i was so glad that it was as good :)
In conclusion its a lovely heartwarming book. (Just read it)
Meta Morfillah
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel-kupunya
Judul: A Little Princess
Penulis: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Dimensi: 312 hlm, 20 cm, cetakan I November 2010
ISBN: 978 979 22 6406 7

Saat baru tiba di London dan menjadi murid di sebuah sekolah asrama bergengsi, Sara Crewe memiliki segalanya--pakaian indah, boneka cantik dan ayah yang selalu memenuhi segala keinginannya. Kehadirannya pun begitu menarik perhatian para murid asrama tersebut. Ia begitu dewasa dalam pemikiran, meski suka sekali berkhayal, pandai bercerita d
Natasha Granger
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice wee read.
Autumn Clubb
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was about a girl who's name was Sarah, who lived in India Her mother died when she was very little. But then she had to go to school so her and her father left to go London to a school home for girls. She was told that her father had died (He was sick). She had to give her personal belongings to the women who was in charge of the school. Sarah was treated very badly and was forced to be a scullery maid.One a man from Indian moved in next door, He had a master who in the end turned out t ...more
Christina
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I know this version is not the "complete" book, but this particular book is very dear to my heart. I got it when I was little, and it took me practically a week to read (I was about 7, I think).

This book introduced me to the wonderful story, and I think it is one of the most underrated classics of all time. All young girls should read this book, because the message is a beautiful one for maturing young women.

Now that I am much older, I will be reading the entire classic in the near future.
Ayundabhuwana
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sara Crew was left by her father in a school. She became the most famous girl in the school, because of her imagination and because she is very rich. She also finds herself friends.
But what happened to her when her father died? She became a maid and was filthy, dirty, skinny, and hopeless. But she never gave up, and always imagine things to be more wonderful. Then someone came to help her. Who is he and what will happen? Read it by yourself :)
Wonderful and fun story by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Ashley
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just finished this last night. It took a bit longer- we had to renew- but that was mostly because of company and school starting and craziness of schedules. I have never read the full book of this, but I thought they did a good job. Adalyn loved it, and it was fun to guess together what might happen to Sara. Connor chose not to listen to this one, and usually fell asleep or read other books while I read aloud. Next up is Robin Hood!
Rie Matsuda
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
IBC Level;2
2hours I'm reading now
7-word summary;India, British, girl, rich, bullied, kind, happy
Discussion Question
1.Have you ever lived without your parents for long time?
-Yes, but it was not long. In my case, it was just 1 mounth.
2.If your living condition was chanded, can you behave usual?
-Maybe I cannot be kind. Sometimes probably I will hard on someone.
Amanda
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is sad but also teaches hope. The book has similar aspects to the famous play Annie. This book can be used in the classroom to show students demonstration of hope. The main character showed hope by never giving up that she would someday get out of the orphanage.
Hannah
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I couldn't finish this book. I found it rather slow. I was looking forward to reading this book because I love the movie but this may be a rare occassion where I stick with the movie instead of the book. I can understand how it's a nice book but it just did not appeal to me.
Realistic Fiction 1 2 Sep 20, 2015 08:54AM
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Heidi
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • White Fang
  • The Secret Garden
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Swiss Family Robinson (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99