Start by marking “A Cathedral of Myth and Bone” as Want to Read:
A Cathedral of Myth and Bone

A Cathedral of Myth and Bone

In these sixteen exquisite stories Kat Howard deftly weaves in and out of the countries of myth and hagiography to write the lives of women untold and unexplored.

A woman being written into her boyfriend’s fiction is at first flattered to be his muse, but then finds her real life literally consumed and overtaken by his. A desperate young woman makes a prayer to the Saint of
Published January 8th 2019 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about A Cathedral of Myth and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cathedral of Myth and Bone

Marija (Inside My Library Mind)
More reviews up on my blog Inside My Library Mind

“The story knows the way of its telling.”

As a Whole...
All of these stories revolve around myths and legends and thus have a common theme of storytelling interwoven throughout all of them. Every story is set in our world, but not quite. It’s our world but deconstructed and mixed with symbols and aspects of different stories.

There’s also a common theme of a story being retold through time – always being the same, but also always changing
Jackie Cowgill
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had a difficult time deciding between 3 and 4 stars. I chose 4 because ultimately the great stories in this anthology outweighed the not so good. And none of the stories were bad, but I just didn't understand some of them because they were so unique and out there. Also, a few were good stories, but the subject matter wasnt interesting to me. For example, the main novella was about Camelot, which I have never been very interested in.

I really loved the prose and magical imagery in these short st
Mike Chen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Howard has constantly shown that she can ground fantastical elements in contemporary storytelling. This, along with wonderful prose and sharp characterization, is why her novels ROSES AND ROT and AN UNKINDNESS OF MAGICIANS work so well -- they blend those elements together without ever collapsing under the weight of either side. A CATHEDRAL OF MYTH AND BONE is a collection of stories -- myth retellings, essentially -- that follow suit. Most of these were previously published, but the biggest ...more
Marzie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This fascinating and varied collection of short stories (and in one case a series of vignettes that form a novelette) by Kat Howard is actually the first time I've read a good bit of this author's work. Many of these tales are memorable re-envisionings of stories from literature or history, such as Arthurian legends (what's in a name?) or a modern Joan of Arc (looking for miracles in an urban setting, with the aid of Chanel Vamp and the back of a Stoli box). While I felt varying levels of engage ...more
DeeDee
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Thank you to Edelweiss and Saga Press for providing this DRC in exchange for an honest review)

One of my new favorite books, and certainly my favorite short story collection to date! I would recommend this to literally everyone, but especially those that understand that fairy tales, legends, and myths deserve to be told not just for their magic, but for what they reveal in our individual realities.

Here are my ratings for the individual stories (*** marks my favorite ones, yes there are four, you
Liz
Short Review

Short story collections are always hard to review because the quality of stories differs. I gave this four stars because I loved "Once, Future" and "Breaking the Frame." All the other stories are good. They're well written, but felt like they jumped around a lot. Sometimes they worked for me, other times not so much. However, I do like Kat Howard as a writer. I think her later work speaks for herself, and a lot of these stories are earlier work of hers (the collection spans seven plu
Rani
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The novella "Once, Future" where the story of King Arthur plays out on a college campus is probably my favorite piece in this collection.

On the while, I found the collection to be a bit of a mixed bag. I think in general I probably like Kat Howard's longer works more than her short stories. I found her novels "Roses and Rot" and "An Unkindness of Magicians" (published elsewhere -- not in this collection) to be quite engaging. But I liked some of the short stories and found "All Our Past Places"
Sami
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A haunting and gorgeous collection of short stories threaded together with the quiet opulence of a stained glass window. Howard's beautiful prose brings together fragile bones, feathered pages, and heartsick saints. It's worth mentioning that Once, Future is my favorite King Arthur story since The Once and Future King-it's that unbelievably good.
H
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of the short stories in this book are fantastic. The novella update of the King Arthur story was lovely and dreamy. As sometimes happen in short story collections, the strongest stories were clustered in the front, and then some of the later stories seem almost unfinished. But they are all worth reading! For adults or older teens.
Hillary Smith
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am completely and totally in awe of this new collection of short stories. These tales are as dark and beautiful as the myths and fables they are based on, but somehow they seem impossibly richer. Howard has breathed new life and modernity into everything from Greek mythology to the tales of Camelot. Impeccably executed and perfect for fans of fairy tales, myths and magic!
Michelle
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pub date: Oct 2018
Wow! I am not usually a short story person, but this was chockablock full of wonderful and terrifying woman-centric magic and modern mythology. Most of the stories I loved (especially "Once, Future"), just one I thought was just ok, but all haunted me and left me wanting more. With Ms Howard's fabulous writing, I would recommend this book for everyone.
Kathryn Kania
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology, sff
Totally in my wheelhouse. The retelling of Arthur was good, I wish it was gayer though.
Michelle Wolf
Jan 15, 2019
Angela Amstutz
Jan 16, 2019
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
Edelweiss granted me this ARC in exchange for an honest review. And honest is what I will offer you.

2.75/5 Stars

The first two stories gripped me and told me to throw out everything I believed a story to be, and they took me on short adventures I absolutely adored.

And then King Arthur showed up and ruined everything. After that mess of confusion and self-fulfilling prophesy slash self-replicating plot slammed into this book, I had to stop. 16%-43% of this book was that story I just did not care a
Patrick
Karis Maguire
Jan 12, 2019
Monica
Jan 16, 2019
Kat Howard lives in New Hampshire. Her short fiction has been nominated for the World Fantasy Award, anthologized in year's best and best of collections, and performed on NPR. Roses and Rot is her debut novel. You can find her on twitter at @KatWithSword.

Also, Shane Leonard took her photo, and she's super grateful.