Start by marking “The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue” as Want to Read:
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

(Montague Siblings #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  68,676 ratings  ·  13,488 reviews
A young bisexual British lord embarks on an unforgettable Grand Tour of Europe with his best friend/secret crush. An 18th-century romantic adventure for the modern age written by This Monstrous Thing author Mackenzi Lee—Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets the 1700s.

Henry “Monty” Montague doesn’t care that his roguish passions are far from suitable for the gentleman he
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 11 pages
Published June 27th 2017 by Harper Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, please sign up.
Mackenzi It's a bit of both! GGTVAV was meant to be a standalone, so it can definitely be read like that. The second book is both sequel and companion--it…moreIt's a bit of both! GGTVAV was meant to be a standalone, so it can definitely be read like that. The second book is both sequel and companion--it follows the same characters about a year after TGGTVAV, but it's narrated by Felicity! (less)

·  68,676 ratings  ·  13,488 reviews

Start your review of The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Chaima ✨ شيماء
“I don’t think it’s a good idea to go courting trouble, is all.”
“We’re not courting trouble,” I say. “Flirting with it, at most.”

I honest to god wish this book would take human form and come fall in love with me.

I love this book with all my usually empty 7 hearts that just inflated 6 sizes and I think my ribs might actually crack. This book was so pure it wasn’t made for earth. This was the best thing that’s happened to humanity since sliced bread. This was better than shaking hands with
Rick Riordan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue

YA adventure, own voices queer rep.

I loved this novel, and not even just because one of the main characters is named Percy!

Set in the 1700s, it’s the story of Henry “Monty” Montague, who is embarking on his Grand Tour of Europe -- one last teenage year of wildness and oat-sewing before he is supposed to take over as his father’s heir and get down to the deadly boring business of being an adult.

If a year traveling around Europe sounds awesome to you, think
Emily May
As we sail across the Channel toward Calais, this is what I’m thinking of—Percy and me and England sinking into the sea behind us, and also French lads and their tight breeches and, zounds, I can’t wait to get to Paris. I am also maybe a tiny bit drunk.

This book is wonderful! Just so so much fun. It's light, it's silly, and I just couldn't stop giggling to myself from start to finish. It reminds me of My Lady Jane, but with lots of gay love and drunken shenanigans.

Henry Montague, or "Monty" to
Mackenzi
Apr 21, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
IDK sounds kinda dumb.
C.G. Drews
I haven't even the words to summarise how much I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ADORE THIS BOOK. I can't even stop gushing about it!! Everything was beyond perfect and I. am. in. love. It was sassy and hilarious and fast moving (like how did I read 500+ pages in a day?!) and so adorable I cannot even. I just cannot. Honestly as soon as this is out I'm BUYING IT AND THEN HUGGING IT and then putting it on my Favourite Books Of Ever Shelf.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out till June. Erm, so sorry about me
Emma Giordano
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Y'ALL
THIS
DANG
BOOK

CW: child abuse, alcoholism, abelism, racism

I absolutely loved The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. It blew away all of my expectations. I went in expecting a cutesy YA m/m romance novel set in the 1700s, but it was so much more! This novel is full of action, adventure, feminism, a sassy narrator, high stakes, (AND a cutest m/m romance).

I loved all the main characters - they are a terrific trio. Monty is particularly interesting to me because his addictions and
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Are you going to give me the fornication without the intention of procreation is of the devil and a crime lecture? I believe I could recite it from memory by now.”
“Monty-”
“Perhaps I am trying to procreate with all these lads and I’m just very misinformed about the whole process. If only Eton hadn’t thrown me out.”

Wow, so I expected cute and amusing, but I did not expect to find both the funniest thing I've ever read, and also one of the most unfortunately-personally-relevant-to-me things I
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5*
This was so fun and cute! So much love!!!
Maria
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.6/5 Stars

I underestimated this book immensely. I thought it would be a light-hearted, fluffy, cute, funny and romantic gay love story set in the 18th century England but it was so much more than that. It was deep, it was heart wrenching, it was profound, it was adventurous, it was emotional, it was so many
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Love may be a grand thing, but goddamn if it doesn’t take up more than its fair share of space inside a man.”

This was a buddy read with my one and only precious Gem!!! <333

To say this book had me from the very first page certainly would be an understatement…
because
it actually got me right after the very first sentence! ;-P

The way Monty told his story was just too hilarious and I was barely a few pages in when I already laughed so hard that my husband gave me a raised eyebrow! *lol* (and the
jessica
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its been over a year since i read this and you would not believe how often i think about the guy on the cover. has anyone seen this episode of the office where michael falls in love with the chair model he sees in the office supply catalog? thats how i feel about this guy. except i hope hes doing a lot better than the chair model. lol.

____________________________________

goodness me, that was quite the ride! i had no idea this was historical fiction, so i went into this totally expecting ‘lads
Claudia Ramírez
Monty, Percy and Felicity are my new golden trio.

PS. Also, Felicity is GOALS. I love her and I want to be like her when I grow up. Seriously, one of my favorite female characters ever.
High Lady of The Night Court
MYHEARTMYHEARTMYHEARTMYHEART
I absolutely LOVED this book and everything it stand for. I love the way the author created these characters and articulated their thoughts in such a marvelous way. I was in love with Felicity, Monty, and Percy before the second chapter even ended and only grew to like them more as the story progressed.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from this book but it definitely was not this. I knew I was going to love this book the second I started it and it met all my
emi
2.75/5 stars

I thought I was the biggest disappointment in life, but I guess I’ve been proven wrong with my reading choices lately. If it wasn’t for my sister sending me videos of her hedgehog right now, I think I’d be lying in a puddle of my own tears questioning every decision I have ever made in the past two months. I’ll still probably do that later though.

Wait, what? I'm giving this
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Update — June 18th, 2019:
Please click here if you're curious why I've removed my rating and review.
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Boys fighting pirates and their feelings for each other in 18th century Paris and Venice! *swoon*

We hosted the official cover reveal this morning, accompanied by an early ARC giveaway and the MOST ADORABLE video by the author talking about why she wrote the book. She touches on wanting to address frustrating historical tropes and the lack of queer representation, as well as how "strong" femininity is defined. Oh, and there are pirates and villains and a swoonworthy romance, too!

✨    jamieson   ✨
“If you go behind my back, I swear to God, I’ll skin you alive—”
“I won’t—”
“—murder you, then alchemically raise you from the dead so I can murder you again—”

TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR: homophobia, epilepsy, racism and racial slurs, ableism, PTSD, alcoholism, parental abuse,

BUT SPEAKING OF 2017 LIFESAVERS This book is a strong contender because it was really, really good and bought up so many important themes and issues and was also just really fun, adventurous, different from the usual and had ...
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This is not a book I was interested in reading, but since it came in my Owlcrate box I will give it a try. I hope I like it! The Owlcrate stuff was awesome though

I was right. It wasn't for me. There are some parts that I enjoyed but for the most part, it wasn't for me. But, I didn't pick this book to read, Owlcrate did it for me

I did like Felicity's character because she fought against being the woman they were supposed to be back then. Go Felicity!

I'm happy for the majority of people that
Kai
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, 2017
"The world could have been a blank canvas and I still would have been exactly this livid with happiness, just to be with him."

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a wild and vivid tale of treachery, love and friendship set against the backdrop of Europe in the 18 hundreds.

Plot:
Henry Montague loves alcohol, romantic adventures and long, sleepless nights out. His father, however, despises exactly that, and everything Henry stands for. He sends him on one last trip, a so called Grand Tour
rachel ☾
me, sobbing in a public bathroom: you bastards told me this book was funny

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreads
Sana
I really didn’t experience what everyone else did while reading this book. The characters are cute and all, but the storyline really didn’t interest me and I was so bored while reading this. I’m extremely disappointed and deadass questioned if I had the right book because I’ve seen glowing reviews of this.

Maybe it’s just me, idk, regardless, I’m extremely disappointed and finally dnfed halfway because I can’t keep reading this boredom.

——
I'M FINALLY STARTING THIS AND I'M EXCITED!!

a historical
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

Re-read:

Bumping my rating up because I forgot how great the discussion of chronic illness is here. Honestly some of the best representation I've seen.

"It isn’t easy and it isn’t very enjoyable but this is what I’ve got to live with. This is who I am, and I don’t think I’m insane. I don’t think I should be locked up and I don’t think I need to be cured of it for my life to be good."

Otherwise I pretty much stand by my original review:

-----------------

4 Stars

Original Review:

“I
Warda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[EDIT: Despite the flaws this book had, when a book - or the characters in this case - pop into your head quite frequently, a book deserves 5 stars.]

--------------------------
THIS BOOK! THESE CHARACTERS! IT WAS SO DELICIOUSLY GAY, PEOPLE! *heart eyes*

*chants* MERCY! MERCY!

I promised myself that I'd review this properly, but what the hell, fuck it. My heart is a wreck and so full of love! So full of Monty and Percy! I need more of them two SO DAMN BADLY!!!!!! Their story can't be over! *SOBS*

The
❄️Nani❄️
4.5

The more times you read it the better it gets.

Yet another FANTASTIC re read.

Monty, my roguish booze-hound seductive charmer, oh, how I love thee!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I think I ended this book with a migraine because I was grinning and laughing like an idiot the whole way through that it slowly took its toll on my brain. ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

WONDERFUL. Just wonderful! So delightfully heartwarming and hilarious. The Gentleman’s Guide follows our main lead Monty
Larry H
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think that no one is writing anything original, along comes a book that is so different in many ways that you wonder how the author came up with the idea in the first place, and how they were able to sell it to a publisher. Mackenzi Lee's The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is one of those books. What a sensational story, with characters I won't soon forget!

In 18th century England, Henry "Monty" Montague has grown up a son of privilege. His father is a lord with a sizable
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) The Gentlemen's Guide To Vice and Virtue
*.) The Gentlemen's Guide To Getting Lucky
2.) The Lady's Guide To Petticoats and Piracy

-----------------------------------------------

Update: still a delight.

Well, that was a fucking delight and a half.
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars

You can find my review on my blog!

I already spent over half an hour marveling at artwork of Monty & Percy, so this book had better live up to all the praises and accolades it has received.

description(*)

“We’re not courting trouble,” I say. “Flirting with it, at most.”

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | Tumblr |Twitter
megs_bookrack
**4.5-stars**

A wicked and witty romp through 18th-Century Europe!

Henry 'Monty' Montague has a bit of a reputation among high society Britain, a constant source of contention with his father.

Recently graduated, Monty is due to set off on his Grand Tour of Europe, with his best friend, Percy, and little sister, Felicity, in tow.

He cannot wait to be out from under his father's eye, channeling constant disapproval and supervision, for an entire year.

Once on the road, Monty continues his playboyish
Nick
Sep 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Everybody loves this book. I feel left out for not reading it yet.
Lola
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
Percy should have been the narrator of this book.

What does Henry have to give? Silliness and cluelessness. He eventually does gain *some* maturity, but never enough to deserve a newfound respect and admiration from me.

The key to loving this book is loving its humour. If that element works for you, and you don’t mind that Henry would rather drink all day and frolic all night, you’re the right reader for this story.

I did not love the romance either. It never made me swoon, let alone sweep me off

• Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • What If It's Us
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • Autoboyography
  • They Both Die at the End
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Radio Silence
  • History Is All You Left Me
  • The Upside of Unrequited
  • More Happy Than Not
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
Mackenzi Lee holds a BA in history and an MFA in writing for children and young adults from Simmons College. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the historical fantasy novels THIS MONSTROUS THING, THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE, which won a 2018 Stonewall Honor Award and the New England Book Award, and its sequel, THE LADY'S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY, which debuted at #3 ...more

Montague Siblings (3 books)
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2)
  • The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks (Montague Siblings, #3)
“God bless the book people for their boundless knowledge absorbed from having words instead of friends.” 517 likes
“We are not broken things, neither of us. We are cracked pottery mended with laquer and flakes of gold, whole as we are, complete unto each other. Complete and worthy and so very loved.” 415 likes