Start by marking “Notes from My Captivity” as Want to Read:
Notes from My Captivity

Notes from My Captivity

Adrienne Cahill cares about three things: getting into a great college; becoming a revered journalist like her idol, Sydney Declay; and making her late father proud of her.

So when Adrienne is offered the chance to write an article that will get her into her dream school and debunk her foolish stepfather's belief that a legendary family of hermits is living in the Siberian
Published July 10th 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Notes from My Captivity, please sign up.

Start your review of Notes from My Captivity
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

It's mixed feelings time, y'all! Some parts of this book were kind of awesome. I mean, Siberia? Sign me up! I love survival stories in general, and in that respect this book delivered for sure. But then some things really threw me off, too. So let's discuss them all, shall we?

The Things I Liked:

Adrienne really grows a lot during the book. She starts off kind of bratty, honestly.
Jaimie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What possessed me to pick up this book? To start something so wildly outside my usual genres, with no personal recommendations and a summary so terrible it's writer should be immediately fired? I have no idea. But I did. And fortunately, the terrible summary is not indicative of the quality of the novel. It is not, as advertised, appropriating the experiences of abduction and loss and survival to add a touch of drama to an otherwise fluffy romance plot.

Notes from My Captivity is the profoundly m
may ☆彡
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars.

This was a surprisingly good book! I was actually really excited to read this because of the interesting premise until I saw a bunch of bad and not-so-great reviews from gr friends :( but I’m glad that I did read it.
3.5/5 stars

Notes from My Captivity is a standalone Young Adult novel.

The book is divided into three parts. The narrator is Adrienne (1st person POV). The story starts in Colorado. Adrienne is planning to go to the Siberian wilderness with her step-father Dan.

Adrienne is 17 years old and wants to be a reporter. Dan has been studying a family (the Osinovs) who supposedly live in Siberia. But most people do not believe that they exist. Adrienne has been allowed to tag along on the adventure.

I found
Kayla
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely fantastic. It was such a confusing yet beautiful story that reminded me a tiny bit of Stolen by Lucy Christopher and you all know how much I love that book!
I can admit thought, this book is very flawed but yet it's so incredibly good.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to HarperTeen for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram

Neelam Babul
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A powerful story of hope, love, survival, forgiveness and the force of nature. Adrienne is seventeen aspiring to be a journalist. Her stepfather is obsessed with the Osinovs, a family in Siberia that he believes survives in the wilderness away from the modern world. Although everyone including Adrienne herself dismiss his views as fiction, her step father decides to embark on an expedition to once and for all prove his theories.

Once on the trail to Siberia, Adrienne embarks on an adventure that
Samantha (WLABB)
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs
Adrienne thought this would be a summer to remember. She planned on writing THE article, which would be her ticket to college, but when their trip takes a tragic turn, Adrienne just hopes to get out alive.

• Pro: It was amazing to see the changes Adrienne experienced during this story. I really liked the way Park slowly peeled back her layers to let us actually see what was at the root of Adrienne's pain. I also thought she was quite funny, and her commentary during the first part of the book was
Gray Cox
So much potential.

However, my immense dislikes outweigh my slight likes on this one.
Rissa
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐️

These creatures exist. William knows this but a stupid journalist is trying to disprove him and she is doig a good job. So what else was he to do but go into the forest and find these creatures once ans for all. His step daughter Adrienne is coming with, it will be a trip of a lifetime but only if she survives.
They found these monster these monsters killed her step father and his crew. These monsters are keeping her alive for now but then what?

I really enjoyed this. I liked the relationshi
Joelie
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Prince Mendax
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Siberia: tinder of the tundra.
Rachael  Fryman
Read Harder 2018 Challenge #5: A book set in or about one of the BRICS countries

Advanced E-Galley provided by the publisher for review

What does it remind me of? A little bit of Stolen by Lucy Christopher

What is it about? A girl determined to write an article exposing her step-father's theory of a long lost family of Siberia to be myth, heads out with her step-father and his team to locate evidence of the Osinov family. Many twists unfold after people start dying soon into their trek.

What did
Kelly
Adrienne wants to be a reporter, and she thinks the best way to secure her entry into the college of her dreams is to pursue the story that's haunted her stepfather: that of the Osinov family, who left their home in Moscow and moved to a remote area of Siberia. Her stepfather believes they exist, and he's written fervently about it. Adrienne is skeptical -- in part because one of her favorite reporters penned a scathing takedown of her stepdad's work. She is convinced that, on this trip, she'll ...more
Christa
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Adrienne is going on a trip with her stepfather Dan to Siberia. That’s where the Osinovs, a family of urban legend, is believed to be. Dan believes it wholeheartedly, Adrienne is a sceptic. They set off with their guides through the wilderness of Siberia. The plot is spoiled in the synopsis, they are real instead of urban legend.

This book is split into parts, and each part feels different. The first is an adventure story, the second is survival horror, the third is magical realism. It was a lit
Myrto
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 🌟 maybe?

*sigh*

Having read The Lifeboat Clique and loved it, I expected to like this. A lot. And while I did like parts of it, I was disappointed by others.
Firstly, I felt like it dragged in the beginning. A lot was established during that part of the book so I get why it started off the way it did but we don't really see the Osinovs for almost the first half of the book.
Another big thing that disappointed me was the climax. We had all those ominous "He is coming" warnings and it built up to
 Amelia
This was a really interesting and different book. Considering I've read 2 survival stories in a row, I'm gonna compare them. This one was definitely lighter (even though there were lots of tragedies and deaths), the atmosphere was still a bit less depressing than in I Am Still Alive. I especially liked the whole "surviving in Siberia" part. It was fascinating. The first part of the book is slightly boring because they are just preparing for the trip and going to the airport and stuff, but the mo ...more
Asia
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting but I quite liked it. Some mystery, drama, survival, love and a bit of magic, all in one book. The only thing I really didn't like was the main character in the beginning, but later on she grew up quite a lot (still made mistakes and acted stupid sometimes but who doesn't?). I kind of was hoping for a different ending but I think the one that we got fits the story quite well.
Chelsea
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually love YA, but this one was so good! I actually had to stay up late to finish this one, because I had to know what happened! I only knew that the main character went on a trip and things went badly, but I didn't read the flap before I started the book -and I'm so glad! This book totally surprised me, and I loved it! And, it wasn't just the fun adventure, it was also about forgiveness, and healing, and I was so touched by the ending. It was really beautiful, despite the horrible thi ...more
Caroline
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the best books I've read in 2018! I loved Adrienne's character; her inner dialogue was so downright funny and snarky that at times I would laugh out loud. It really reminded me of myself. The mystery behind the Osinov family kept me on the edge of my seat, but I also fell for this family and was really upset to see how things ended.
Overall, this was a story about strength and forgiveness, and also a look into the things we take for granted in life. Highly recommended!
Kristy
I loved this so much more than I thought I would! It's truly a wild ride... You start out thinking it is one kind of story and then it takes two different sharp turns. In the end, I loved the experience and was very moved.

☯~☽~•Patricia Mainard•~☾~☯
I was quite impressed by this book. Captivated my heart and mind from start to finish. Absolutely recommend.
Amber
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a bit, and while the first 60% is a solid 3 stars, the last 40% really picked up and made me bump it up to 4 stars. My biggest gripe with this book is the constant references to instagram and tumblr. I understand that the main character is a 17 year old girl, but it really dates the book, and makes me cringe. I can't remember the exact line and don't have the book in front of me anymore but at one point Adrienne makes a statement that one of the guys would be instagram worthy ...more
robbie cowman
Feb 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
we STAN The Lifeboat Clique so Miss Parks DEFINITELY is gonna come through with this book
Emma Ferrier
This went places I did not expect and scared me more than some "horror" books have. WOW
Tanja
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the read throughout. I liked that you expected one thing at the beginning of the book but changed your thoughts and opinions throughout the story. It would have been a 4 star if it hadn't been for the ending. For a moment I was afraid it would be cliché but then it took another turn, which just got me and made me cry. Loved it!
Jo Ann Mulligan
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kari
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Wow. Not at all what I was expecting from a book entitled NOTES FROM MY CAPTIVITY.
A beautiful story involving self-discovery, love, forgiveness and survival.
I was actually moved to tears by the end, a rarity for me.
KimberlyRose
What a fascinating, heart-rending, human condition story. It isn't a close-and-forget book (although those can be delicious, yes!); rather, it's a can't-stop-thinking-about book. I have such compassion for the YA lead. Her voice is honest, and there's an enormous, moving maturation of her character. All the secondaries are strong, no matter how small their part. I'm not satisfied with the ending--it's acceptable, believable, but I want more.

Extra: The magic realism touch was light and
Katie Thomas

• Be Not Far from Me
  • Hidden Pieces
  • The Truth Lies Here
  • The Other Side of Lost
Hi, I’m Kathy Parks, author of The Lifeboat Clique. (Katherine Tegen Books, March 1 2016)

It’s about Denver Reynolds, an outcast at her high school, who ends up in a lifeboat with the popular kids who hate her.

It’s Mean Girls meets Life of Pi!

I live near the beach in Carpinteria, California with my husband and two cats.

I love questions and meeting other authors.

Hope you’ll check out The Lifeboat Cl