Start by marking “The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2

(Chrestomanci #3-4)

In this multiple parallel universes of the Twelve Related Worlds, only an enchanter with nine lives is powerful enough to control the rampant misuse of magic -- and to hold the title Chrestomanci... There is a world in which the peaceful city-state of Caprona is threatened by the malevolent machinations of a mysterious enchanter...and another in which magic is outlawed and ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2

Start your review of The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
Kaethe Douglas
These two make an odd pair. Witch Week is a boarding school farce with silliness all over the place. The Magicians of Caprona has lighthearted moments, but is a pretty earnest tale of children during war time. They don't have much in common, except the focus on children and magic, but they are both perfect. Caprona gets extra bonus points for the importance of cats.
Joaquin Mejia
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Volume 2 of "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci" contains the third and fourth books of the series which are called "The Magicians of Caprona" and "Witch Week". "The Magicians of Caprona" takes place in an Italian state that is being threatened by a mysterious enchanter. "Witch Week" takes place in a school where the people are scared of magic. In both books, the Chrestomanci that the title of the series refers to makes an appearance. Aside from that, the books are very different from each other. I ...more
Martine
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
The second Chrestomanci volume features two novels which have only two things in common: they both feature magic, and Chrestomanci shows up in both of them. However, the great wizard only makes brief appearances in the book, leaving centre stage to child protagonists who save society from an awful lot of harm by a combination of courage, brains, imagination and magic.

The first book in the volume, The Magicians of Caprona, is set in a world reminiscent of Renaissance Italy. It's basically Shake
Alyssa Nelson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This volume holds two stories from the Chrestomanci series: The Magicians of Caprona and Witch Week. Each story focuses on a different alternate dimension, with the Chrestomanci serving as the ultimate go-to for all magic-related weirdness going on, so he serves as a unifying force throughout the stories.

The Magicians of Caprona

This is a loose retelling of the Romeo and Juliet story, but more focus on magic and war rather than romance. Two houses of famous magicians are feuding, because–well, re
Michelle Smith
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff-challenge
Just read the first one. Didn't like it as much as the first but I warmed to it.
Rindis
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The third and fourth books featured in this collection are better than the first two. Interestingly, they also don't focus on Chrestomanci, and seem to happen around the same time as the first book (as opposed to decades before as in the second book).

Book three, The Magicians of Caprona, takes place in an alternate Italy that is still a collection of regional city-states (DWJ states that Chrestomanci's world is a bit more 'old fashioned' than ours, so things are roughly like they were in the fir
Lisa Tollefson
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I enjoyed both stories, though I agree that Witch Week has a loosely knitted logic to it, and I'm tired of purely evil villains who have minimal motivation (the White Devil in Caprona). Still, both parts were fun reads.

The idea behind this particular world system is interesting: when there is a major event, the world can diverge into two time streams, so to speak. If so, however, why are there only 7? Have there been only 7 major historical events where the outcome could have been different enou
Emily Collins
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
I sort of consider this book the weakest link when looking at the Chrestomanci series, but that's really only because I'm not too fond of Witch Week - I think it's bad form to get us horribly attached to characters and then suddenly change those characters into slightly different but really maybe the same characters. It's too much for me.
Magicians of Caprona, on the other hand (Romeo and Juliet, anyone?), is fascinating! Look at how differently magic is treated over there, a few countries over f
Erin
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I tried, I really did, but I've been trying to finish this book for six weeks now and I'm just not into it. I made it through The Magicians of Caprona, which was really rambly and directionless, and ended rather abruptly. Chrestomanci really wasn't even part of the story; more like he had a special appearance for a few pages. So I've lost interest and I'm thinking this book probably won't get finished.
Tiana Hanson
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-ya
When compared to the first volume, the second volume is a bit weaker. Both stories are excellent examinations of how things could be just a little different in parallel worlds with different rules on magic, but with Chrestomanci as only a cameo character in both, it was hard to link them to the first two stories.

Nevertheless, they're very in-depth stories and well worth the read.
Monica
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remember this book being much different than the first Chrestomanci volume, but once I got over the fact that Chrestomanci only makes cameo appearances in these two stories I really enjoyed them. Jones is a very unique storyteller, and I definitely plan to read her books to my children some day.
Paul Black
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume is two completely separate stories. Each is set in the Chrestomanci universe. He doesn't appear until near the end to pull things together. Although both were imaginative and the writing was delightful, I didn't like them as much as the original (two).
Hanne Federwölkchen
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say it with Mr. Gaiman: Always perfectly magical!
Julien Devin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, fantasy, faves
One of the stories is really great (witch week) while the other is aggressively mediocre (caprona) so I guess that averages to 4 stars?
Luke
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review of the Magicians of Caprona:
A lovely little jaunt to Italy within the (let's be honest: boundless) boundaries of the World of Crestomanci. Written with the unique, witty and imaginative writing style of Wynne Jones yet opening up a whole new world to the reader. In my opinion this is something she is particullary good at. I am not an Italian (so do not take my word for it) but I really felt immersed in an 'Italian' (completely different) atmosphere by the way Wynne Jones described human i
aquiverofwords
Let me break this down, okay?
I. MAGICIANS OF CAPRONA
What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful premise. The start of the story was pretty Romeo-and-Juliet-esque, but then things began to spice up when the magic entered the mix. Diana Wynne Jones has this way of writing that just feels super unreal. As if what you're reading doesn't really exist. She doesn't describe very much, and if you're looking for a detailed dissection of what each character is, you are reading the wrong book. References from
Rachel Meyer
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Magicians of Capona- 5 stars. A super fun tale rather reminiscent of Shakespeare. I liked all the rivalry and the spooky puppets and the cats. Tonino was super cute. I loved him.

Witch Week- 5 stars. Just as fun as the other adventure, although I think this one was my favorite of the two. I love school stories, and when you combine that with witches, things get super fun. She managed to have several points of view without ever being confusing.

I also like how Chrestomanci might be a super powe
Anna Catherine
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I meant to review this ages ago but I forgot, so this'll be a brief and rusty review. I LOVED the first story. It was SO CREEPY. It reminded me of a Doctor Who episode. The second one was really neat, and I liked how it kept you guessing. I did get frustrated at characters having big messes to fix in their lives, but that's because I'm a sissy. XD Great read!
Kim
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The magicians of Caprona is a little different, It's to me a bit darker than the other 2 stories I read from the Chrestomanci chronicles. It's settled in Italy where to families are in war for a long time. When a real war is starting the two families will have to work together to make an end to the war that will destroy Caprona the city both families love.

The second story : Witch week, is totally different. It's about a world where witches get burned at the stake. So being a witch is really terr
Hillary
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought these Chrestomanci books were even better than the first two. By the end of the fourth, I really came to love the quirks of Chrestomanci, and I love the complicated series of worlds Jones has created.
Rachel
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So fun to read, as always. Might have been 4 stars, or 4.5, but Witch Week was just so enjoyable. Great characters and amazing plot and such an entertaining writing style, as always. Diana Wynne Jones really is a masterful writer.
Michelle
Enjoyable Jones fantasy stories, though less organized than the first two. There are some creepy puppet scenes and sadly less extravagant dressing gowns, but generally still solid Chrestomanci fare.
Kate
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy as much as the first volume
Lisa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I was missing a lot of world building. I liked the premise of book 4 in particular but I never invested in any of the characters.
Ursula
Not as good as the first volume set, but still very good.
Katya
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Ata
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
witch week is fantastic and gets brownie points for better use of guy fawkes than v for vendetta
Martine
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not to whine, but there is not much of Chrestomanci in these Chronicles of Chrestomanci Vol II
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am struggling with this. A huge disappointment because Vo1. 1 was good. I hate to rate it so harsh but I wont be finishing it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • A Wizard Abroad
  • The Wizard's Dilemma
  • Song of the Wanderer (The Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Deep Wizardry
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards #3)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
  • Mairelon the Magician (Mairelon, #1)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (The Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • Dragon's Bait
  • Paprika
  • I Don't Think of You (Until I Do)
  • Give Me Liberty!- An American History, Seagull Edition -Single Volume (2nd, 09) by Foner, Eric [Paperback (2008)]
  • Fire (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more

Chrestomanci (6 books)
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)