Start by marking “The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)

The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  9,571 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
In this multiple parallel universes of the Twelve Related Worlds, only an enchanter with nine lives is powerful enough to control the rampant misuse of magic -- and to hold the title Chrestomanci... There is a world in which the peaceful city-state of Caprona is threatened by the malevolent machinations of a mysterious enchanter...and another in which magic is outlawed and ...more
Published April 10th 2007 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2

Kaethe
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These two make an odd pair. Witch Week is a boarding school farce with silliness all over the place. The Magicians of Caprona has lighthearted moments, but is a pretty earnest tale of children during war time. They don't have much in common, except the focus on children and magic, but they are both perfect. Caprona gets extra bonus points for the importance of cats.
Martine
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
The second Chrestomanci volume features two novels which have only two things in common: they both feature magic, and Chrestomanci shows up in both of them. However, the great wizard only makes brief appearances in the book, leaving centre stage to child protagonists who save society from an awful lot of harm by a combination of courage, brains, imagination and magic.

The first book in the volume, The Magicians of Caprona, is set in a world reminiscent of Renaissance Italy. It's basically Shakes
Alyssa Nelson
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This volume holds two stories from the Chrestomanci series: The Magicians of Caprona and Witch Week. Each story focuses on a different alternate dimension, with the Chrestomanci serving as the ultimate go-to for all magic-related weirdness going on, so he serves as a unifying force throughout the stories.

The Magicians of Caprona

This is a loose retelling of the Romeo and Juliet story, but more focus on magic and war rather than romance. Two houses of famous magicians are feuding, because–well, re
Michelle Smith
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sff-challenge
Just read the first one. Didn't like it as much as the first but I warmed to it.
Emily Collins
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
I sort of consider this book the weakest link when looking at the Chrestomanci series, but that's really only because I'm not too fond of Witch Week - I think it's bad form to get us horribly attached to characters and then suddenly change those characters into slightly different but really maybe the same characters. It's too much for me.
Magicians of Caprona, on the other hand (Romeo and Juliet, anyone?), is fascinating! Look at how differently magic is treated over there, a few countries over f
Erin
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I tried, I really did, but I've been trying to finish this book for six weeks now and I'm just not into it. I made it through The Magicians of Caprona, which was really rambly and directionless, and ended rather abruptly. Chrestomanci really wasn't even part of the story; more like he had a special appearance for a few pages. So I've lost interest and I'm thinking this book probably won't get finished.
Tiana Hanson
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-ya
When compared to the first volume, the second volume is a bit weaker. Both stories are excellent examinations of how things could be just a little different in parallel worlds with different rules on magic, but with Chrestomanci as only a cameo character in both, it was hard to link them to the first two stories.

Nevertheless, they're very in-depth stories and well worth the read.
Paul Black
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume is two completely separate stories. Each is set in the Chrestomanci universe. He doesn't appear until near the end to pull things together. Although both were imaginative and the writing was delightful, I didn't like them as much as the original (two).
Monica
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remember this book being much different than the first Chrestomanci volume, but once I got over the fact that Chrestomanci only makes cameo appearances in these two stories I really enjoyed them. Jones is a very unique storyteller, and I definitely plan to read her books to my children some day.
Hanne Federwölkchen
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say it with Mr. Gaiman: Always perfectly magical!
Julien Devin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids, faves
One of the stories is really great (witch week) while the other is aggressively mediocre (caprona) so I guess that averages to 4 stars?
Mahra
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Witch Week

Best best best series I ever read!

1. Mr Crossly chasing Ms Hedge was my fav side character action
2. I love the diversity in the book specially that it was written in the 1980s so HATS Off!!!
3. Do I have to mention how Dianna Wynne Jones writing is HEAVENLY✨💯
4. Okay gotta say that the Simon Says spell that Charles put on Simon was fun!
5. Am I the only one who hated Theresa?
6. I kinda felt sorry for Brian.
7. I want more adventures about Nan & Estelle !!
8. When Estelle was in lo
Anna Catherine
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I meant to review this ages ago but I forgot, so this'll be a brief and rusty review. I LOVED the first story. It was SO CREEPY. It reminded me of a Doctor Who episode. The second one was really neat, and I liked how it kept you guessing. I did get frustrated at characters having big messes to fix in their lives, but that's because I'm a sissy. XD Great read!
Hillary
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought these Chrestomanci books were even better than the first two. By the end of the fourth, I really came to love the quirks of Chrestomanci, and I love the complicated series of worlds Jones has created.
Kim
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The magicians of Caprona is a little different, It's to me a bit darker than the other 2 stories I read from the Chrestomanci chronicles. It's settled in Italy where to families are in war for a long time. When a real war is starting the two families will have to work together to make an end to the war that will destroy Caprona the city both families love.

The second story : Witch week, is totally different. It's about a world where witches get burned at the stake. So being a witch is really terr
Michelle
Enjoyable Jones fantasy stories, though less organized than the first two. There are some creepy puppet scenes and sadly less extravagant dressing gowns, but generally still solid Chrestomanci fare.
Lisa
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I was missing a lot of world building. I liked the premise of book 4 in particular but I never invested in any of the characters.
Ata
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
witch week is fantastic and gets brownie points for better use of guy fawkes than v for vendetta
Ursula
Not as good as the first volume set, but still very good.
Katya
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Katie
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy as much as the first volume
Kate
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The Magicians of Caprona: 3 stars; Witch Week: 4 stars.
Shima
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The magicians of Caprona : 3 stars
[May contain mild spoilers]

In relation to pacing, the magicians of Caprona is exactly the opposite of Charmed Life In Charmed life the beginning wasn't at all interesting, yet the ending was filled with action and great twists.
In the magicians of Caprona however, the beginning was great. First of all it's set in an alternate Italy, it also has that great family dynamics that immediately draws the reader in.

Unfortunately from then forward, it also follows the co
TheCosyDragon
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review from The Cosy Dragon

After reading the first book in this pair, I realised that I hadn't read either of them before. I was glad, as it would enable me to review the book from an adult's perspective as well as a teen's.

The first novel 'The Magicians of Caprona' is very similar in nature to Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet' or the film 'West Side Story', although of course it is set in a world with magic. The protagonist, Antonio Montana, is able to speak to cats but his magical skills seem
Sam at A Journey Through Pages
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-reads
Review from A Journey Through Pages

As promised volume two of The Chronicles of Chrestomanci has been read, processed in my brain and enjoyed, to great joy to all.

This second volume focuses more on expanding the world, rather than the character of Chrestomanci itself. In fact Chrestomanci is a minor character in both and the only character who appears as a character from the first two books. Also instead of focusing on one character throughout the story, a multitude of character perspectives are
Kathy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Qing
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This volume was different to Volume 1, where Vol. 1 is about kids finding out they're the next Chrestomanci and enchanter (while losing a lot of lives! haha) The Magicians of Caprona and Witch Week is more on witches and what have you than Chrestomanci, who is featured very little in these books but obviously plays a part in putting things to right.^^^^It definitely wasn't what I had expected, I thought it would be more focussed on Chrestomanci, but when I realised it wasn't, I tried to figure o ...more
Sean
Feb 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Witch Week was the first Diana Wynne Jones novel I read, and it is still one of my favorites. It takes place in an alternate world much like our own, where witches are at once extremely common and extremely illegal. The setting is a dreary boarding school, where most of the main characters were sent after their parents were burned as witches. Jones's dialogue is at its best here, and she seeds the pages with sly humourous touches that still make me giggle.

Unfortunately, Witch Week also turns out
Janelle Dazzlepants
The second part of this volume really let it down - I enjoyed both books, but the pacing of Witch Week was really quite horrible. It wasn't just a matter of throwing in awesome action, fantasy and tying up loose ends at the last minute, Witch Week was just terribly hard to read. The main plotarc is drawn out for far too long, I had to put it down for a couple of weeks and come back to it.

I think this volume overall is nowhere near as good as volume one - The Lives of Christopher Chant and Charm
Lissibith
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novel
I was a little worried, reading this out of order and starting with Vol. 2 here, but whatever was in Vol. 1, it doesn't hinder understanding of these stories.

There are two tales in this book. Both have the trademark frankness of narrative and whimsy that I've come to expect from Jones' work, and I'm definitely glad I read it. I think the first, a book about magical families in Italy, was the stronger of the two. The world was more immersive and while the story was pretty predictable, it was told
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • The Company of Glass (Everien, #1)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1940s: Laura / The Horizontal Man / In a Lonely Place / The Blank Wall
  • A College of Magics (A College of Magics, #1)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • On Fortune's Wheel (Tales of the Kingdom, #2)
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams: Stories
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • A Knot in the Grain and Other Stories
  • Requiem
Diana was born in London, the daughter of Marjorie (née Jackson) and Richard Aneurin Jones, both of whom were teachers. When war was announced, shortly after her fifth birthday, she was evacuated to Wales, and thereafter moved several times, including periods in Coniston Water, in York, and back in London. In 1943 her family finally settled in Thaxted, Essex, where her parents worked running an ed ...more
More about Diana Wynne Jones

Chrestomanci (6 books)
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)