Start by marking “Select (Select #1)” as Want to Read:
Select (Select #1)

Select (Select #1)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  261 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Coming from a race of highly-evolved humans, Julia Jaynes has the perfect life. The perfect family. The perfect destiny. But there’s something rotten beneath the surface—dangerous secrets her father is keeping; abilities she was never meant to have; and an elite society of people determined to keep their talents hidden and who care nothing for the rest of humanity. So when ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Charlesbridge Teen

Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review and more like it on www.bookbastion.net!
___________

Marketing itself as a YA SFF, the synopsis for Select promises genetically enhanced humans with unnatural abilities, elite societies and a strong female character who actively works to subvert her upbringing and create her own destiny.

Sounds great, right?

Unfortunately, Select barely lives up to its premise, casting aside all of that interesting stuff that drew me to it in favor of a plodding and poorly developed romance that I
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm

photo BookReview_zpsdq9da8x6.jpg

🌟🌟🌟1/2 Stars
Select was such a delightful read. I was so happy to have wished for this on NetGalley and to have that wish granted was fabulous.
So Select is the first book in a new Young Adult paranormal series.
It revolves around Julia Jaynes who Comes from a race of highly-evolved humans,
This group hide in plain sight amongst the general populace who they refer to as outsiders.
Julia seems to have it all, The perfect family and lifestyle a
i.
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Select was a wish come true for me , not only because my wish for an advanced copy was granted on NetGalley , but also because I was growing tired of shallow YA novels and I needed something to renew my faith in this genre. Select is exactly was I was looking for: the perfect combination between sci-fi and YA literature. What makes this novel really outstanding is that even if you removed the sci-fi part, it would still be a very interesting book to read on real life situations which many young ...more
Fables&Wren
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
WrensReads Review:

I was just so bored. The characters don't really have enough dimension for my liking, the character has random burst of emotions that don't really flow, and the ending really didn't make a full circle.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram
Fabi
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Conditional Stars

I really loved this plot. It's a little bit spooky. The tension runs high and I was always worried something horrible was going to happen.

The blurb is spot on. It basically summarizes the plot. I think the only thing it doesn't cover is how difficult it is for Julia and her people to be out in public. They have to be constantly on guard holding back their natural abilities so that they don't end up on the wrong end of a microscope. Going to public school is, in fact, a very di
Jenny Baker
This could have been an entertaining novel, but too many things went wrong for me. One, the storytelling made this so boring! There were a lot of descriptive paragraphs that did nothing for the story or the character development. Many times I wanted to yell, who cares! Action scenes didn't feel like action. Two, I felt nothing emotionally. I didn't care about any of the characters and I didn't feel like I was given a reason to. Three, the pacing was so slow! I got so impatient that I started ski ...more
Melissa Sullivan
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and really hope it's a series with that dun-dun-duuuun cliffhanger.

The book, and its characters, opened up like an onion. It would appear slow, but it was written with the slight paranoia that the characters lived with. Never revealing too much too quickly. I would say more but I want to sit on my thoughts for a bit.

(Thanks to the publisher for the copy in exchange for an honest opinion)
Alexandra
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Eh it was a good book but not with the anticipated hype I had for it. I will read the second book though, since I want to know what will happen.
Mel (Epic Reading)
This is not a bad book so much as to say that's not great. The premise is interesting (albeit a bit overdone perhaps), the characters are okay and while plot was missing for the first half of the book it turned up later on. I didn't hate every minute of reading Select but I can easily pick it apart to some degree. There are three major things I didn't like about Select that heavily influenced my three star rating:
1) The Info Dump
2) Where's the Plot
3) Specialist of all Special Snowflakes

Let's ch
The Captain
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This was a book I stumbled across that had a fascinating premise and I was excited to have me wish granted. A group of biologically different humans lives in Austin, TX. Julia, is one of these “select” people but has always had trouble fitting in. Forced to keep a low profile and told to hide her gifts, she makes a mistake and finds herself forced to go
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Patricia Hamill
Select is a paranormal romance about Julia, a girl who’s banished to public high school for nearly blowing her family’s cover, and John, a broken tennis prodigy whose soul calls to hers.

I absolutely adored this book. The romance itself was sweet and yet still believable. And despite an immediate connection, there was no instalove. The progression felt natural and right. Adding in the supernatural complications only made this harder to put down.

I also welcomed the complexity of many of the supp
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
I was drawn to Select because of it’s premise. A race of super humans living among us with secrets and a cult like vibe? Count me in!

Despite a bit of a slow start, after a few chapters I found myself being pulled into a story that only became more intriguing as it progressed. With each piece of information discovered about Julia and her people, I was curious for more. Their culture, interactions, and history was fascinating, and the story Weisenberg built around them was fascinating as well.

Whil
Lisa
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this to read by Netgalley in return for an honest review.I really enjoyed this book. I love Julia and johns story and cant wait to read more ...please give me more!!!
Judy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent - 5 stars! I was stunned to find out after I read this book that it was a debut novel. The publisher granted a wish that allowed me to read it before publication. It's both a sci-fi and YA novel about a group of genetically superior people who have to hide what they really are from normal humans. Those in this group have enhanced abilities and live longer than the normal life span. They have to be careful in order not to be detected.

The book centers around Julia, who is the only one in
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Honestly, I'm so disappointed in this book. I was really excited about it because it was the first time I've ever been 'granted' a book on NetGalley (sad, I know), but I found this to be quite cringe worthy and boring.

It has promise; a group of highly evolved super humans surrounded by us regular folks. One problem I have with it, though, is that I absolutely freaking hated said super humans. I couldn't connect with any of them, and every time our main character Julia referred to her reject gro
Lena (The Printed Girl)
I’m so pleasantly surprised by this book. The story about a group of highly evolved humans was so much better than the story that was described in the description of the book. I expected a totally different book and I was a bit scared that it would be a bad high school romance book. I’m so glad it turned out to be so much more!

I really liked the story line and the cliff hanger at the end! If there is going to be a second book I will definitely read it! I liked the main character a lot. She wasn
Ana
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Book provided via NetGalley for an honest review.

I honestly was not expecting for my wish to be granted to read this book. Still I had to requested because it sounded amazing and it was something that didn't sound like anything I've read before.

And it was fantastic, when my wish was granted I was super excited and I dived right into it! The plot was fantastic, the whole idea of being different in a group of differents was a refreshing idea and it was done right. There was a chance for this sto
Morris
“Select” is one of those books that sounded so good and then failed to live up to the hype, in my opinion. The plot is a very slow burn. It seemed to take forever for something, anything, to happen. On top of that, I just did not care for the characters or the love interests at all. It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t good, either. If it sounds interesting to you, give it a try, but I can’t recommend it.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
beautyguise
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NetGalley granted my wish for this book. Here is my honest review!

I loved this. I'm not going to sugar coat this at all. The book stuck to the blurb. There were never any dull moments in this story. There is some internal conflicts going on with Julia. But don't we all have those moments where we rethink things we've done or said. Wondered what other outcome might have happened?

This is a great debut YA novel. The story is unique from what is going around right now. This isn't some woe is me fema
Paige Green
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4/5

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 14+ (language, a mature sexual scene, trigger warnings for death and suicide-like behavior)

I received a copy of the e-book version of this book for free from NetGalley as provided by the publisher and then I won a free copy of the print arc in a giveaway. Neither of these events changed my opinion of the book.

Alaina Meserole
RTC & BR comments <3
Caitlin
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
*I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Overall, ‘Select’ was a solid book with an interesting concept and story. We follow our main character Julia as she struggles to fit into her controlling and seemingly perfect family.

I enjoyed the concept and the setting of the book, and found the idea of highly evolved people with enhanced intelligence an skills trying to blend into society really interesting and allowed the plot to go in many directions.

The story line was ve
Candace Wondrak
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
2 stars might seem a little harsh to some people, especially considering that the lowest review so far is 3 stars. This time I'm following the Goodreads' rating system: it was ok.

It was ok, and it could have been awesome.

What intrigued me was the synopsis: extra-evolved, almost superhuman people laying low surrounded by regular, everyday humans, basically. It could've went in so many directions, and before cracking it open (or clicking on the title on my Kindle), I was so excited! Lately I've
Karen Barber
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Highly-evolved humans, descendants of a long-forgotten tribe, but they are playing a dangerous game.
Julia has ignored her father's warnings to not use her talents but, for reasons she can't explain, she doesn't reveal all her skills to her father. Unfortunately, when a trip to a local pool ends badly an outsider is drawn into this tangled situation.
As punishment Julia is ostracised from her family and sent to public high school. She tries to hide her nature, but not very hard. Inevitably she end
Ivette
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy in exchange for an honest opinion.

I loved this book!!!! I can't wait to read the second book in the series. I realize I'm jumping the gun here, but I can't wait!!! Even though, I will clearly have to. I didn't realize this was a "young adult" book when I requested it, but I don't care! It was written so well. What a great story, characters, and overall creativity. I finished it in two nights! I highly recommend this and look forward to reading Boo
Megan Frederick
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Need more.
K Todd Ramer
I received an e-book arc for an honest review from NetGalley.

This is a solid 4 star book. As usual, I will give my split observations and individual star ratings: READER and WRITER.

****SPOILER ALERT****

~As a reader, I am beyond surprised I am giving this a 5 star rating. The story starts off pretty slow, but it was compelling enough to keep me in it. Then it hit around 30% and took off running. At first, I couldn't even come close to liking the main character, Julia, but then the author took her

Select (2 books)
  • Select Few (Select, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)