Start by marking “Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors

Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors

(Hellboy Novels)

Fifteen of the biggest names in weird literature come together to pay tribute to Hellboy and the characters of Mike Mignola's award-winning line of books! Assembled by Joe Golem and Baltimore co-writer Christopher Golden and featuring illustrations by Mike Mignola and Chris Priestley, the anthology boasts fifteen original stories by the best in horror, fantasy, and science ...more
Published August 29th 2017 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

Start your review of Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors
Paul
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure, I have a story in this anthology.

This book was a lot of fun and worth the price of admission for the Chelsea Cain, Laird Barron, and Nathan Ballingrud stories .
Brandon St Mark
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wide selection of short stories that focus on the members of the BPRD. I’m glad it wasn’t solely focused on Hellboy. I didn’t like every story, but I did really enjoy a few of them, and I think there’s something here for everyone. Would definitely recommend.
Orrin Grey
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mignola
The problem with any of these Hellboy prose anthologies (this is the fourth one) is that they never feel quite like Hellboy stories. Now, maybe that's intentional--a way to let the authors each bring their own voice and touch to the proceedings--but for me, Hellboy (and B.P.R.D. and Mignolaverse stories in general) all have a character that is unique to them. A pacing, a tone that only they have. And, admittedly, while that same pacing and tone and feel has been a big influence on my work for ye ...more
Craig
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fourth collection (after a lengthy hiatus) of Hellboy short prose fiction is another very enjoyable volume. I particularly enjoyed the stories by Kealan Patrick Burke and Nathan Ballingrud because they seemed like excellent Hellboy stories that fit right in with the Mignola originals, as well as the ones by Chelsea Cain and Seanan McGuire because they seemed to successfully expand the originals with alternated views of the supporting cast. Lots of fun!
Bryan
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like Hellboy, horror, short stories, or any combination thereof you'll love this anthology. It's the first one of these I've read, and now I'd like to track down the earlier collections. Great authors; great writing. Highly recommended.
Thomas
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of Hellboy/BPRD fiction by several great authors. Each author adds more the the world that Hellboy lives in and adds color to the character. One of my favorite's in this collection was HER RED RIGHT HAND by Paul Tremblay. The story itself was good and descriptive but the depth that he produced in the supporting characters was unexpected.

Overall, another great collection that Christopher Golden edits.
Matisse
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I tried watching the Del Toro films more than once. I still couldn't get into them. The leads were cast perfectly, but the story was odd; as imposing as Hellboy's design is, the stories had him be easy to beat in a fight, which didn't complement his angst all that well. I figured Hellboy just wasn't my thing.

What's bizarre is, I love this anthology.

This is the 'you just need to know the characters' kind of fanfiction (does it count as fanfic if you can buy it in a bookstore?). Within the pages
Michael
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
While the various short stories differ in quality, I'd give this collection as a whole 4 stars. I loved how the better stories took new paths within Hellboy's universe and some made the big man and his friends supporting characters rather than the sole focus. Darkness and light were both explored in different shades throughout. If you're a fan of Big Red, most of the stories are worth your time.
Joe Donley
This was my first Hellboy fiction anthology. I highly recommend giving this a read. Some stories are better than others, but the good ones are more plentiful. And there are a handful of great stories. I have a further in depth review coming soon on my personal blog.
Brian Price
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed most of these stories. Was excited to see Richard Kadrey and Paul Tremblay have stories in this.
E7boehm
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good story well defined writing space fun book to read between hard books will read more in the series
Muqriz Mizlan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first picked up this book I thought it was going to be an action-packed comic with Hellboy killing demons, but what I got was so much more. What I got was an anthology series with phenomenal authors delving both into the gritty fantasy world surrounding Hellboy as well as the psyche of Hellboy himself. A welcome change from the usual punch-demon we see in the movies. A great read for those who want to dive into the Mignolaverse and those who'd like an interesting character study.
Don
Not quite a five yet close. Very close.

The audio narration was quite good.

Daniel Cooksey
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of tales that put new spins on HB's world.
Victoria Fuller
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh, what a great collection of stories. I love Hellboy, and every story just gave me something else to love. Also, Kate and Liz are wonderful.
Sean
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mignolaverse
Very enjoyable short story collection dealing with Hellboy and some of his BPRD cohorts. Love how each author bring a different take to Hellboy and his team
Ryan
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was also posted to my blog here.

Hellboy: An Assortment of Horrors is the latest anthology of Hellboy short stories, once again edited by Christopher Golden. It’s funny the way things have turned out, with me having jumped to reading the newest one after having just gone through the first one back in August. When I read Odd Jobs the experience came as a great surprise. I picked it up as a novelty, wanting to see how a change in medium would feel for the character and the world, not ex
Christopher
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

A fantastic collection of stories in the Hellboy mythos. A must have for any fans.

Mihaela
Sep 04, 2017
Chris Cordick
Oct 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Requesting page count for this book. 3 16 Oct 15, 2017 06:28AM

• Mr. Higgins Comes Home
  • The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3)
  • It Walks by Night (Henri Bencolin, #1)
  • The World Of Carbon
  • The Bloodstream
  • The Luzhin Defense
  • Science Fiction: History-Science-Vision
  • Direct Descent
  • Tony C: The Triumph and Tragedy of Tony Conigliaro
  • It's Been a Good Life
  • The Red Planet: Mars
  • Who's Afraid of Schrodinger's Cat: All The New Science Ideas You Need To Keep Up With The New Thinking
  • Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)
  • An Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard
  • The Metabarons #1: Othon & Honorata
  • Hell! Said the Duchess: A Bedtime Story
  • An Easy Introduction to the Slide Rule
  • Anatomy of a Murder
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Hellboy Novels (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army