Start by marking “Princess Nevermore” as Want to Read:
Princess Nevermore

Princess Nevermore

(Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice #1)

Dian Curtis Regan weaves an engrossing fantasy about a young princess, Quinn, who one day finds herself on the other side of the wishing pool--on Earth.
Published September 1st 1997 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Nevermore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Nevermore

Start your review of Princess Nevermore
Mary
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read this book at the right age (elementary school to middle school), you will absolutely never forget it. To this day it occupies, like, a holy grail spot in my mind - definitely on a pedestal. Reread it last summer - and no, it doesn't hold up. Definitely have to catch it at the right time, and it will honestly GLOW in your memory.

Note: there are differences between this version (the older paperback) and the newer, hardcover one, which I discovered reading them in parallel. First of
Amanda
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This started out so promising, but then turned a bit crap. Gender roles were infuriatingly upheld, underage drinking was brushed off, finding self worth in a boyfriend was encouraged and instalove abounded. Super frustrating.
Mimi
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenagers
This is a solid book that would be very enjoyable to the middle school (and perhaps freshman) aged girl. There is nothing offensive or objectionable, from a parents' stand point. I actually, from my jaded world view I suppose kept expecting the "bad guy" to do something truly heinous, and while he was still a bad guy, his monstrosity never left the middle-school spectrum.

I would have devoured this as a young girl, and even as an adult I enjoyed this sweet tale.

The story is of a young girl who
Kelsey Ratliff
I have A LOT of opinions about this book. First of all, Princess Quinella is essentially a manic pixie dream girl. She is generally clueless and unintelligent throughout the whole book. I was waiting for her to be redeemed, but she never really is other than making the smart but quick decision to return to Mandria. When two boys want to fight over her, she lets them instead of just being independent and making her own decision of who she wants to be with. Also, she is fifteen and these nearly 18 ...more
Kin
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas when I was about 9 because my mom thought I would like the cover. I did, and I was fascinated with it for several years, yet I never got around to reading it until now. Frankly, I wish I'd tossed it with some of my other old books when I was in high school.

Honestly... It's so bad. I wouldn't even recommend it for the middle-grade readers other reviewers seem to insist will like it, because of how problematic it is on top of being boring and cliche. The protagonist
Sheryl Tribble
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very Mary Sue-ish, for those who speak that vernacular. The writing had a certain stilted tone that connects with fanfic in my brain, and for the most part things happen TO the heroine as she bumbles along not taking responsibility for anything. The ending is particularly Mary Sue-ish, because I think the reader is supposed to feel sad at the romance of it all, while I'm just annoyed with the heroine's selfishness.

OTOH, it's a quick read and held my attention more than I expected it to, and had
Caty-Scarlett
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!!! This is about a girl, a princess in fact, and is lonely and longs for an adventure. Her best friend is a wizard's apprentice and he secretly loves her. A bit slumsy with magic though, he accidentally sends her to the outside world. (They live underground.) She soon meets a cute blonde guy and so the drama begins. Read this and be blown away. And be ready for tears...:(
Ashlie L'Homme-Mueller
I'm not sure how I'd feel about this NOW but I know I really did like this when I first read it.
Karen
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-re-read
I remember reading this in middle school and absolutely loving it. I look forward to re-reading it now that I have re-discovered it's name and bought a copy.
April
Jul 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no
This book had a great premise, honestly. It's been done before, but the whole "someone from another world comes to the real world" thing can be fun no matter how many times it's been done, as long as the story is good.

Yeah, this book dropped the ball, big-time.

Quinn, the princess of an underground world, ends up on Earth in present day. The story is pretty decent as she first gets there, but when she meets the family she ends up staying with, it all goes downhill. In the family are a brother
Casey
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle school me
So I'm reading Neverwhere, which involves an underground version of London, and I remembered that, in middle school, I had read some terrible-cum-awesome young adult novel about a princess that lives underground who falls through a wishing well and ends up above ground. And, of course, she has to go to high school, and falls in love with some generic cool high school dude, and then she has to choose between true love or her home/destiny. You know, because that storyline is not at all contrived.

Koori no hi
I didn't like this book al that much. It was a good enough read during the duration, but thinking about the story now that I finished it a few hours ago, it just wasn't a great book.
I don't think Quenn's actions throughout fit the situations she was in. She didn't seem to be all that much of a stranger to our world, and after hearing about (but not actually seeing) Disney's Enchanted, the idea of a princess falling through a wishing well into our world seems overdone. Yes I know this book was
Velvetea
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was in 8th grade, and I really enjoyed this, having read it around the same time as my best friend so we could reminisce over it together. What I remember both of us wondering, though, was why everyone found this girl so attractive above ground (away from her cavernous kingdom). The way she is described and then the way that boys seemed to fawn all over her made us laugh a little. But then, we were mere jealous 8th graders, envious of male attentions of any sort (oh it starts, lol).
Nia
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good book. It has lots of adventure, meaning, and romance.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
In her magic underground kingdom, Princess Quinn has always longed to visit the Outer Earth and gazes up through the bottom of a wishing pool to see ordinary non-magical people just out of reach. When a magic spell sends her to the Outer Earth, she must learn to fit in with the modern world of cars and airplanes, and determine who she can trust with her secret. The Wizard Melikar is working night and day to bring her home, but Princess Quinn is having too much fun in the Outer Earth and ...more
Michelle
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
For some reason, this book worked my nerve. It shouldn't have. It's just a shallow, somewhat bland tale of a princess from a magical land who visits modern day (well, 90s) Earth. She goes to high school, falls in love, blah blah blah. I like the concept (and mostly enjoyed it in the movie Enchanted and probably other stories that aren't coming to mind), but here it just fell flat. It might've been the author's choice to have the princess use odd language choices to show how different she is -- ...more
Melissa
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was published in 1995, but started as a short story in 1975, and the age shows. the only female characters are of course pitted against each other over the affections of this aggressive jerk (a guy the princess doesn't even want but she can't reject his affections because of archaic societal rules [explicitly, the rules from her own kingdom, but also sadly the unspoken rules of our earth]). everyone is REALLY cavalier about this guy becoming aggressive when he daydrinks at high school ...more
Piper Henley
I was told to choose a book to read back in 2013 for my seventh grade English class. Considering that I hadn't really read a complete chapter book before. I chose this. I soaked up the entire book, and since then, I've wanted to read the second installment, and hopefully I'll be able to soon.
The main characters are still young and learning, and it shows that the adults, despite knowing all knowledge in most children's stories, are still learning like the children. All of the characters have
Ana
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book through a review program at my local library when I was in elementary school over 20 years ago. And it has stuck in my mind.
I don't think I'd ever re-read it, as I'm certain all of it's charm and fantasy would be lost on 30 year old me. As many of the other reviewers mentioned, this is not a book that holds up to life experiences and age. It was an excellent product of it's time, for young girls, back in the 90's and it should really stay there as there are plenty of plot
Taylor
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Taylor
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely for matured minds, on account of boys fighting over the princess, who is called Quinn. Quinn has always wanted to go to the world that we live in, and finally she goes. She is lost on the world until she meets someone who is from her kingdom. She goes to school with some friends she meets, and falls in love with the teen boy she is staying with. Unfortunately, Zack, a boy at school, finds her attractive and mysterious. He and Quinn’s love are forced to battle each other ...more
Bookloversam
Interesting concept, but just not the right time for me. I think I would have loved this book if I’d found it when I was younger though. It focused on high school drama a little too much from my tastes, and I kept forgetting the main character (who is 15) was not a twelve year old because of her odd characterization and the way her dialog was written. Fun, short read, but just found it a bit too late in life.
Anna Maliszewski
This was my favorite fantasy book as a girl. It's about a princess who travels into the non-magic earth world and meets a boy and falls in love. This is a great "romance-fantasy" genre for middle schoolers because there's nothing inappropriate. I've read it several times. The much awaited sequel wasn't as good---but then again by the time it came out, maybe a decade later, I was already much too old for the series.
Katie Young
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved this book in the day, and it still holds up pretty well. I think it may have been the first book I read that gave a fantasy outsider's perspective on the world. It does things well, plot and character things. I recently found my copy at my parents, nervously decided to give it a re-read, and was able to see why I enjoyed it so much at 12.
Sonali Dabir
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in school and it has a special place in my heart. The books you read as a teenager leaves a different mark on you and this is one of them! It makes you wish and makes you imagine a world of your imagination.
Cheryl
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a novelization of a Disney movie, even though it's not "Enchanted." Kind of interesting to see how the girl chose which Mandrian customs to obey, and which to defy. Could have been so much better, richer, more thoughtful, more graceful.
Mahima Kalla
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite fantasy novels I read growing up... still dear to my heart!!
Rowan B
Pretty good plot, not a fan of the romance lol
Lena Reynolds
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love this book and have re-read it lots of times. The ending to me always feels sad, especially after the story’s build up, but it’s a great story and a good read.
LaTasha Huff
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember loving this book when I read it as a young girl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mirror
  • The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1)
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist
  • Back When We Were Grownups
  • Tangled Vines
  • The Secrets of Mary Bowser
  • Bloomability
  • A Place of Hiding (Inspector Lynley, #12)
  • Men, Money and Chocolate: What more could there be to life?
  • Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering
  • The Fire Rose (Elemental Masters, #0)
  • Love, Lies, and Hocus Pocus: Beginnings (The Lily Singer Adventures, #1)
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #2)
  • Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins, and Other Nasties: A Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving
  • A Little White Shadow
Dian is the author of many books for young readers, ranging from picture books to novels for teenagers. She graduated from the University of Colorado, her home state, and has also lived in Texas, Oklahoma, and Venezuela. Presently, she lives in Kansas.

Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice (2 books)
  • Cam's Quest: The Continuing Story of Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice