Start by marking “Serenade (The Nightmusic Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Serenade (The Nightmusic Trilogy #1)

Serenade

(The Nightmusic Trilogy #1)

Teenage heiress Kaya experiences her first taste of freedom when shes kidnapped from her sheltered life. But as she forms an unlikely connection with her abductor, Luke, her adventure takes a strange turn.

There is nothing magical about growing up in a mountainside castle, when its your prison. Kayas ruthless and powerful father keeps her under lock and key, watched every
ebook
Published April 17th 2017 by Clean Teen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Serenade, please sign up.

Start your review of Serenade (The Nightmusic Trilogy #1)
Beverly
Young adult thriller, Serenade, tells of a young girl's virtual enslavement by her powerful father in order to keep hold of the family's wealth. Kaya is 17 and has never known life outside her father's compound. She is spoiled and pampered with whatever she wants, but freedom is what she craves. Her creepy bodyguard, Oliver puts the moves on her and she succumbs. Later we find out that Oliver has been obsessed with her since she was 14, ick.

This is well written and has plenty of thrills and near
Dianne
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 01read
She was born with a platinum spoon in her mouth and grew up a prisoner in a gilded cage. When Kaya turns eighteen, she has only one wish, to do something daring, to be a normal teen, to NOT be a prisoner in her own home, her father her keeper who has made many deadly enemies. But will her one desire turn into the very nightmare her father was protecting her from or will it be her coming of age, her chance to finally live? What will Kaya discover about her past, her present and her future? Will ...more
Zøe Haslie
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaya Lowen. I finally have the name of the girl who has haunted me for the last 1968 hours.

For the first time in a long while, I dont think my words can do justice to this awesome book I just read. But, I have to try anyways! First off, this book is currently free on Amazon, so you should definitely download it in two clicks!

Now, I can move on to talk about the book. Kaya has lived her entired life guarded, protected or should we say trapped in a golden cage? She was never free to go or do
Julie

description

When I received this book (from who I think was an editor for Heather McKenzie), I really didn't know what to think. I don't really read Young Adult novels any more and when I saw that it was published by Clean Teen Publishing ... I REALLY didn't know what to think. What I DID know is that the blurb for this book was intriguing. Here's the deal, it's not any secret that I appreciate a well placed f-bomb or a steamy sex scene in a book. While I don't seek those things out when choosing a book, I
N.N. Light
Not a big fan of the whole falling for a kidnapper, especially in YA. Other than that, it was a great story. Well written with engaging characters.

My Rating: 3 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N
Victoria
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a great book to read
Dani (The Pluviophile Writer)
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian, ya, arc
Ah to be rich but restricted in life and in love. Set in an iconic Canadian setting, this novel is an action-packed YA romance.

Review at The Pluviophile Reader: http://bit.ly/2hUK56k

4/5 stars.
Read from December 20 to 21, 2016.
ebook.

Cheers to Heather McKenzie for providing me with an ARC edition of this book for an honest review. I love to read and support new authors! It has been a while since Ive read a YA novel and even longer since I read one with some substance so this was a refreshing read.
Tonja Drecker
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue, tension and danger pack these pages the whole way through.

Kaya is a rich man's daughter who lives in a castle in the mountains, which might sound like the perfect life. Except, it's not. Thanks to a grandfather who wants to see her dead, she's under constant, heavy security. No friends. No life outside of the bodyguards and her nanny. When secrets start to unfold, she discovers that her grandfather isn't the only deadly threat in her life.

My favorite part of this book is the great
Erin Gossman
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have so many thoughts on this book, I dont think I can put them all into words. First off it was captivating and interesting from page one. I initially believed it to be a mix of Rapunzel and Cinderella and then it spiraled into something so much more. There is just so much happening in this book- deception, love, lies, action... it left my head spinning. I am extremely excited to see that there are sequels and fully intend to read them. I love Kayas character, her personality, her attention ...more
Tonja Drecker
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue, tension and danger pack these pages the whole way through.

My favorite part of this book is the great
Rachel Barnard
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kaya lives a guarded life as the heiress to a medical company worth a fortune, but her father doesnt ever want to relinquish control and will go to insane lengths to make sure his greed is satisfied.

Kaya wants to be normal, but when shes constantly surrounded by her male bodyguards she doesnt have a chance, until her father consents to let her run in a weekend long 125km foot race. All is well as she is fiercely protected until one by one her guards drop out of the race. Even her new Fiancé
Please Pass the Books
Serenade by Heather McKenzie is the first book in the author's series, The Nightmusic Trilogy. Kaya has lived a shockingly sheltered existence as the heiress to a billion-dollar empire. Her father (and grandfather) have made her a virtual prisoner, dictating where she can go (nowhere, really), when, and with whom. Her only friends are her bodyguards and a "manny" who's been with her since birth. When she's kidnapped, the plot thickens as things begin to reveal themselves, and this is helped ...more
Gordon Long
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every teenage romance should have a side story to keep it interesting a hobby or sport or activity that gives the tale that added kick. A 24-hour Death Race through the Rockies in Banff National Park ranks up there at the top. Add to this an overprotected young heiress under the control of her much-hated billionaire father, a handsome hunk of a bodyguard and a well-meaning and fatally attractive kidnapper, and you have the grounds for some serious conflict.

The story revolves around Kaya, her
Coco.V
Mar 16, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝 FREE on Amazon today (3/16/2018)!💝

Blurb:
When billion-dollar heiress Kaya Lowen is kidnapped, her devoted bodyguard vows to stop at nothing to get her back. But, as Kaya gets her first taste of freedom away from barred windows, armed guards, and a father with questionable motives, a dark family secret begins to unravel and she wonders if staying in the arms of her blue-eyed abductor is safer than being found. At least, thats what her heart is telling her. Her head is saying run...

Now the hunt
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Read my full review at http://blackwords-whitepages1977.blog...

WOW, what an awesome and refreshing read full of love, hate, surprises, mystery, loyalty and everything in between. I enjoyed it very much. The characters were phenomenal and felt as if I could connect with Kaya and all she had to go through physically and emotionally. The story-line was extremely addicting and I found myself glued to the story from beginning to end. There was always something happening at the turn of every page. I
Crystal
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't exactly recommend this for teens, maybe not even young adults, but feel it's more for adults given the themes. I can't say it's "Clean Teen" reading either. However, I think it is a perfectly acceptable adult story.

It is like a modern FairyTale story in a way, but kind of in reverse. Abuse is hard to spot when that's all we've ever known. It is easy to mistake the control and manipulation for an overprotective love. It becomes a blur until we catch a taste of freedom and are able to
Samantha McLaughlin
I WISH IT WAS POSSIBLE TO GIVE SERENADE 1,000 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heather McKenzie's debut novel was outstanding and beautiful and perfect while some of the characters were imperfect and rotten (referring to you, Oliver) and amazing and outstanding and crisply written. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a book this much. I highly recommend it; Serenade featured a heroine that is admirable and relatable to girls and women of all ages, with a kind, gentle, and steady-minded man named ...more
Claire Drewsen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Ive read many books and many genres. I have some favorite authors and not so favorite ones. This book is the first book Ive read by this author, but if any of her others are as good as this one, she will be in my favorite authors list (which is VERY short). Really, if shes added itll make it 3 authors total.

This book is very reality based. There is nothing really unrealistic about it and thats why I Love is so much. Almost all of the books Ive read have something unrealistic to them, but not
Sienna Jazmyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Thoughts
This book sounded thrilling, dramatic, and romantic. I was happy to find that I was right. but sad to find that it had a little bit of a slow start, but the first part is essential to the rest of the book, it's basically the back story. so here's my honest review of Serenade.

Review
So yes this book did start out slow, but it's the back story and you need to know it. After that, it gets a bit better and it's like a will they won't they situation, to get to the really dramatic
Kimberly C. Winslow
A good read!

Plenty of action and adventure. The storyline twists and turns and you just don't know which characters are trustworthy. The heroine has been repeatedly traumatized and controlled down to what she is allowed to eat. Such a restricted life would lead to the shutdowns and anxiety displayed. It can frustrate the reader but blind obedience made sense and took tremendous strength to break free.
Jane
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to review this book by librarything.com

What s great read - debut novel too. Got it all mystery, love, hatred and friendship.

The author has created good characters ,secrets, twists and turns, cliff hangers and melting moments.

Kaya father is rich, and does not want her out of his sight, grandfather wants to see her dead and under security- well what a life!

As secrets emerge the twists with come and turn. Enjoy this to the very end
Brooke Walters
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So seen the book was free on Amazon and sounded like a decent read to me. I at first was struggling getting into it. But the more i was reading the more i felt bad for Kaya. She is definitely a prisoner and you can tell she just wants a normal life. So when she gets kidnapped you instantly fall in love with Luke. He is definitely who she needs in her life. Definitely going to read the other 2 books in the series to see if she gets her happy ending.
Adrea Bock
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great love story and an ending you dont expect

Good intermingling plots that are completed in a not-all-is-finished kind if way but still leaves you feeling accomplished. Damsel in distress the whole way through. I want to see Kaya become a heroine in book two bc she felt like she was never in control. Some situations she pulled through were ex machina (right tool suddenly appears at the right time with no growth to it) It's still a story I want to keep reading. :)
Kimberly
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very surprised of how much I liked this book. Throughout the novel, I saw Kaya development as a character which made me like it so much more. Another thing is that it also brought up the topic of panic attacks a bit (not the main topic of the book) it was nice to see. Overall it was such a good read that I will continue reading the series once they come out.
Carol Ann
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A whirlwind of adventure of a young woman's life.

Fast moving, engaging with plenty of romance and excitement. One sex scene with little description and much more tender and growing love and independence. This was a big time coming of age adventure in the wild mountains of Canada.
Sherri
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sooo, Sooo Good!

Wow, this book was a wild ride! Like nothing I've read before. I never new what to expect. It had some of the most heart melting moments, but was intense most the time. I was nervous because it's the first book in a trilogy and the second one isn't quite out yet and I don't like cliffhangers, but the ending was even great! Sooo, Sooo Good!! Read it!!
Donna G
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, nail biting and full of twists

I loved the many twists and turns this story took. The ending almost caught me by surprise but all in all, the storyline and plot twists have me eager to see how Kaya and Luke build their future in book two.
Vanessa
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not my typical read, but when I finally picked up my advanced copy, I was pleasantly surprised. I don't tend to like teen and YA but I had a hard time putting this one down. Solid first novel - will definitely follow the series as it comes out.
Elisabeth
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Well done! The character development was on point and the action scenes kept me engaged throughout the story. I felt invested in the characters from the beginning without knowing all the secrets they would share. I enjoyed this story and will be reading the series.
Kaiyla
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first time in a long time, I could not predict the plot. It was a page-turner of discovering "what next" as the story unfolded for the main characters. I really enjoyed all the twist and turns and look forward to finishing the series!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Luna Caged. Part 1.
  • Infected: The Shiners (Forgotten Origins Trilogy #1)
  • Sea of Dreams (Sea of Dreams, #1)
  • Playing With Fire (#Hacker, #1)
  • Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire, #1)
  • Gateway (The Gateway Trilogy, #1)
  • Bellamy and The Brute (Bellamy and the Brute, #1)
  • Winterborne (Universe Unbound, #1)
  • Vampire Trouble (Deadly Destiny, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • Birthright (Legacy, #1)
  • Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1)
  • The Tethering (The Tethering, #1)
  • From Gods (Descendant Prophecies, #1)
  • Only the Worthy (The Way of Steel, #1)
  • Cursed (Cursed Magic #1)
  • Gathering Water (Gathering Water, #1)
Heather McKenzie is the bestselling author of the Nightmusic Trilogy. Canadian born and raised, she resides in Edmonton, Alberta where she is inspired to write teen and young adult fiction. She worked as a musician before writing SERENADE, her first novel. For more info visit www.heathermckenzie.com

The Nightmusic Trilogy (3 books)
  • Nocturne (Nightmusic Trilogy, #2)
  • Rhapsody (The Nightmusic Trilogy, #3)