Start by marking “Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design” as Want to Read:
Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design

Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design

Many web design articles and books are all about improving your workflow and making your life easier as a developer. Should you wish to adopt a framework or employ a processor to speed up your development process, be our guest. However, this book is not about you; it’s about your audience.

The Inclusive Design Patterns book covers all the techniques, gotchas and strategies
Published 2016 by Smashing Magazine

Be the first to ask a question about Inclusive Design Patterns - Coding Accessibility Into Web Design

Tim Kadlec
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at https://timkadlec.com/read/2018/inclu...
------
Accessibility is one of those topics that can be very intimidating to folks. There is a lot to know and a lot you can get wrong. Plus, since accessibility is felt so personally by many, the reaction to accessibility mistakes online tends to be…unpleasant. It makes a lot of people I’ve talked to feel stuck, not sure how to proceed.

Heydon’s book doesn’t attempt to teach you everything you need to know about accessibility. It
Lisa Giles
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Everybody is a keyboard user when they are eating with their mouse hand."

Really enjoyable book with lots of practical examples (navigation, forms, dynamic content, etc) and the always important theme of "accessibility makes the experience better for everyone." Aimed towards people with some basic knowledge of HTML/Javascript/CSS.

I did skim/skip the sections on TDD and making paper prototypes as part of the design process as they felt a bit out of place given the topic of the book.
Casey
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-life
This book had some great tips and points to consider when designing a website. However, it was written toward someone who is both a designer and developer. As a UX/UI designer, there were a lot of things I found very valuable, but there was also a lot of coding examples I simply skimmed over. If you're just a designer, I recommend having your developers read it as well and vice versa.
Louise Douglas
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always found the topic of accessiblity an interesting one, and I this book had so many great ideas that I ended up turning it into the basis of a lightning talk at work.

I really appreciated that each section started off with typical bad practices, then shows you how to change what you’ve done to make it fully inclusive. It also includes the reasons why what you were doing wasn’t the correct way to go about things, and why their suggested way is better.

“The best part is that designing inclus
Patrick
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This books is an excellent resource for those who really want to empathize with people with disabilities. It shows how web developers can take small steps to make an application that much more usable.
Tanner Hodges
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful and fun to read. Wish I had this book years ago. 👍
Suzanne Carter
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a must read. clear, actionable, defensible approach to making websites and web apps accessible.
Dani Moss
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good reference source on a complicated topic.
Caleb Ross
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. I only dabble in website development (I can tear down an php file, but if you ask me to rebuild it, I'd come away with some extra else statements). I've been interested in user experience and accessibility from a web design standpoint for a while, but mostly as an appreciator of the way solid, conventional structure simply works so well. There's something inherently interesting about the simplicity of simple things working for as many people as possible.

This book takes a few steps be
Chris
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The book has some good content but I found the chapter on test driven development underwhelming (and, as usual, at the very end), although testing through CSS selectors is an interesting concept I have learned. There were also some chapters where the author seemed to jump to seemingly unrelated topics which confused me. Some of the code examples use coding anti patterns, only sometimes due to the choice of programming directly against the DOM with no abstraction. I also missed some background in ...more
Radimir Bitsov
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good read, that provides useful tips and a lot of references regarding web accessibility and common design structures.
I like how the author explains the importance of using semantically valid elements and correct ARIA attributes. The different design patterns covered in the book are well described, backed up with good arguments.
However I found the structure of the book a bit chaotic, without following any specific order, but this is just my preference on the overall presentation.
Definitely
  • CSS Secrets: Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems
  • Hardboiled Web Design
  • Accessibility for Everyone
  • A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends  Styles In Website Design
  • Design for Real Life
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design / Bulletproof Essentials
  • Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »