Start by marking “The Claidi Collection” as Want to Read:
The Claidi Collection

The Claidi Collection (Claidi Journals #1-3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  626 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The first three novels in Tanith Lee's popular Claidi Journals series are now available in this handsome hardcover three-in-one omnibus volume, which includes the complete texts of Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, and Wolf Queen. Fantasy fans can immerse themselves in Claidi's adventures as she unlocks the secrets of her past and finds the love of her life.
Published June 2nd 2003 by Dutton Childrens Books

To ask other readers questions about The Claidi Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Claidi Collection

Angie
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just over six years ago I walked into this little bookstore called Books of Wonder for the first time in my life. And on the front end cap, directly facing the revolving door, on the middle shelf, was a thick book with a purple cover and a gold spine entitled THE CLAIDI JOURNALS. I had heard of Tanith Lee before, but never read any of her books, and I had her sorted in my mind as a dark fantasy/horror writer. As I picked up the hefty volume and examined it, it appeared it was actually an omnibus ...more
First Second Books
I love Tanith Lee, but sometimes I read her books and start thinking things like: parents, building stars that abduct people (whether or not they're grown-up versions of your kids and their fiancees) is maybe a sufficiently problematic idea that don't do it in the first place?

Of course, the book being by Tanith Lee and being filled with wild and wonderful ideas is how you know it's awesome!
Liz Dunn
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In The Claidi Collection, there are three books in the series, Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, and Wolf Queen. Each is a story of one ordinary girl caught up in a whirlwind of adventure- adventure she didn't ask for. In the first book, she is deemed a servant in what is called "The House," and works for Lady Jade Leaf, a snotty and prissy woman in The House. One day a man, Nemian comes from what is called "The Waste," forbidden to all who live in The House. One of the ladies of The House helps Claidi esc ...more
Caro
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The series was amazing, but the third book is the one that made me like it even more. Each book just keeps getting better and better.
It doesn't get boring and (view spoiler)
I think this is the kind of series that everyone would enjoy not only a certain age group: 100% recommend.

Now I only need to go for the next book.
Debra Byrd
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Another Tanith Lee novel full of viscous mothers. I know some mothers are like that, I was reared by a narcissistic mother myself. But geez, not all of them are!
Alicia
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this series in one big book. The journalesque feel of the writing was extremely real for me. Sometimes "journal" or "diary" books don't always work for me because they don't really feel REAL. However, The Claidi Journals really pulled it off.

My only beef was that it felt like three installments to one book. I didn't feel like I was really reading three books. Part of that is probably because of how I read the books, but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed these books other
Nepheleli
I started Reading this book because I had just moved to my new apartment and I was not going to have no internet for about 3 weeks. Since I was on a very strict budget I went to a thrift store. I saw many books there but this one in caught my eye due to it being a collection of 3 books in 1. I started reading it and personally that was the best decision I could have ever made. This book was filled with intrigue and it was very suspenseful. it started somewhat slow, but then it picked up. it was ...more
cindy
Aug 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tamora Pierce fans
Shelves: read-youngadult
Fairly standard fantasy setup (slave/servant with a somewhat murky past and dead/missing parents is sent off on a mysterious adventure) that leads into inventive plotting and imaginitive, non-standard scenery and characters.

Claidi is a lovely, mixed up, well-constructed teenage girl character. She's smart, scared, resourceful, and a little boy-crazy.

The Claidi Collection consists of three books: Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, and Wolf Queen. I'd recommend getting the Collection over the individual title
Crystal
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked all three of the books in "The Claidi Collection." It's very well written and I like the journal-style set-up of the story. You can definitely see character progression for the main character, Claidi, throughout the entire story. The writing was a bit younger than I tend to like, which I didn't realize until after I'd started. However, the story had me hooked even with the fact that it's a bit young, so I don't mind all that much. Apparently, there is a fourth book in the series t ...more
Jacqui Ainsworth
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these books. The first book was a bit slow-going and I am not sure whether I would have bothered searching out the second one if it had not been a combined volume. By the end of the first one it starts to get interesting and midway through the second I was hooked. An interesting read for adults and a great one for younger teens/young adults. There is romance but it's clean and deals with the difference between real love and appearance/obsession very well. I liked how one "error" I foun ...more
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-teens, fantasy fans
Recommended to Laura by: Book Sale
Shelves: pwn3d
As I am reading more and more books as of late I wouldn't say that this series is my favorite, however, I would say that it is well written and enjoyable.
If you like a lot of magic in your books, it might not be for you. There is some but not comparable to the likes of the Potter Series, Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Mortal Instruments etc.
There are some great twists and turns and a few different takes on love that I did enjoy a lot.

I however, don't know if I would read it again....we'll see. It's mor
Erin Hendrickson
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Regardless of the genre, it is often difficult for me to get into the books I read. The Claidi Collection was an exception. Tanith's stunning literary imagery, imaginative characters and the world they live in, took me away. I think my favorite aspect about the series was the world itself. From the kinds of people in it, to the way life and love and politics work within it was fantastical, whimsical, awesome and fearsome. A great story that keeps you guessing until the very end of Claidi's journ ...more
Tearju
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.

The description of the foreign world left enough to the imagination while giving a concrete insite to the observations of Claidi. The gives a perfect insite to the mind of someone of her age; it may very well have actually been someone's diary, except for the fact it was too interesting. The Diary of Anne Frank, while realistic, is nothing compared to this series. In my opinion, of course.
Melissa
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I read this when I was younger and then reread them recently. I didn't enjoy them as much the second time. It is an interesting fantasy for teens. It has a little different plot than many fantasies, but I started getting tired of Claidi being pulled along from one place to another for no real good reasons that you know of. The first book was good, but it got a little redundant after that.
Amanda
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
I bought this when it first came out... just in time to realize that there was a fourth book in the Claidi Journals. It has the first three books in the series (Wolf Tower, Star, and Queen). I think it's a beautiful collection but I would have liked it to have been the complete series not the Claidi Collection+Wolf Wing.
Anne
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Lee has a fantastic imagination. When I read these books for the first time in middle school they blew me away with their creativity. Reading them now, they actually hold up pretty well. Better than most of the fantasy I read at that age. And of course, for me, the Claidi Journals will always be tinged with the rosy glow of nostalgia.
Cindywho
Claidi is a cranky young woman who escapes a life of servitude by falling for the wrong man. Strange and fantastic adventures full of shifty characters and a few moments of wonder. It's all told in her voice, journal style. There's one more book after the trilogy within this volume and it's on my list... (November 28, 2004)
Kris
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another good set of books. The second book can get a little tedious, but the characters are loveable and deep. The world is so real in these books you really get a sense of the entire are by the end of it!
Kristiana
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is such a good book (series)! It's easy to read, the voice is refreshing, the protagonist clearly evolves, and the universe it's set in is fascinating. I read the three books in this collection over the weekend. I would definitely recommend it.
Annette
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The first book was really slow, but by the last one I really like it.
Melissa
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Young Adult fantasy -- recommended by my sister :)Interesting story line.
Kelly
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another post apocalyptic story. Lots of twists and turns. Very strong, somewhat confused female character. Love her humour and sarcasm.
LauraMichele
Feb 22, 2008 marked it as to-read
To read
Kaitlyn Conley
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series! A little slow paced but still great!
Mushroom
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
best books i've ever read. claidi was portrayed really well, i was able to believe her feelings and feel what she felt. storyline was original and unpredictable, the book was difficult to put down.
Nicole
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
They were fun to read, but nothing spectacular.
Amanda
Jul 18, 2015
Dodecahedron
Sep 26, 2012
  • Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood
  • The Book of the Wind (Samurai Girl, #4)
  • The Black Stallion Adventure Set: Four-Volume Box Set
  • Sally Lockhart Quartet
  • The Prince of Ill Luck (Warhorse of Esdragon, #1)
  • The Dark God's Bride Trilogy (The Dark God's Bride, #3)
  • Pyromancer (Mancer, #1)
  • The Crystal Gryphon (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #5)
  • Fortress of Frost and Fire (Bard's Tale, #2)
  • Alice Through the Needle's Eye: A Third Adventure for Lewis Carroll's Alice
  • Cat's Eye (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Wizardwar (Forgotten Realms: Counselors & Kings #3)
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Heart of the Dragon's Realm
  • True Stories
  • The Road to Damietta
  • The Little Mermaid
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee

Claidi Journals (4 books)
  • Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1)
  • Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99