Start by marking “The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)

The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm #3)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  16,130 Ratings  ·  576 Reviews
Book by Michael Buckley
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2006 by Recorded Books, LLC

Justyn Rampa
I adore this series.

I deeply, deeply love this series!

In fact, reading this series makes me feel like I did when I was reading all the Harry Potter books. Not that Sisters Grimm is a direct correlation to Harry Potter, but in some ways yes, they are very similar. Our main protagonist is struggling to come to terms with losing their parents, to fulfill a destiny of which they previously had no idea, and their world is full of fantastic and terrifying characters.

The difference of course is that S
Erin
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books started getting a bit creepier and better from here on. Most kids authors don't bring up mental health (another reason why the characters should've been aged up and this series been put in YA or at least Teen) but it was done well and tastefully. Can I just say again that I LOVE Puck??? Wishin he was 15 though...because that's how he acts when we're supposed to go "Oh, he's 11". I think Buckley forgot how young 7 and 11 are. I can easily believe, knowing many 11 year-old-girls, that th ...more
Chak
I am no longer recommending this series to people based on the amount of murders and violence, and also based on the author's treatment of The Little Mermaid character. The author identifies her as fat (she does not look "fat" in the picture), and as such, portrays her as petulant, out of control, horrible and unlovable (since she got "fat"). Really bad message to send to girls (and pretty much everyone else), Buckley. However, my son loves this series, and I am entertained by the large majority ...more
Michael
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first two books in the series but this is the one that put me over the edge and MADE me buy Books 4 - 9. That right there should tell you all you need to know.
sj
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Problem Child is the third Sisters Grimm book in a series of [runs off to check]...nine. Really? Nine? Holy crap, I should have checked into this before I got The Boy all into them.

Okay, so I talked a little bit here about why I'm reading these, and the ARDUOUS PACE my 13y/o is setting for me.  He doesn't cut me any slack when it comes to these, because he hasn't yet picked up his mother's bad habit of having eleventy billion books going at once.

So what did I do all day today?  I finished th
Chelsea
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Nicole, Hillary
With every book in this series, my love grows exponentially. They're a little like Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, except all of their literary in-jokes are fairy-tale related. (Which, I suppose, makes them more like his Nursery Crimes series, actually.)

Buckley is great with characters, especially little Daphne. (who will never, ever get less charming and sweet. Are there any other seven year olds asking for vocabulary lessons and practicing martial arts, while consistently having more ins
Sara
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: undecided
Catherine
Wow! This series just keeps getting better. Buckley deals with some heavy material -- mental illness and addiction -- all within the context of fairy tales and magic, and in an entertaining way that children can understand.

I can't help but compare Buckley's treatment of the fairy tale creatures with the TV series Once Upon a Time, which I watched for a while. (I gave it up earlier this season when (view spoiler). I just couldn't watch the soap op
Melissa
This is the 3rd book in the Grimm Sisters series.

I was back and forth between liking the book and being annoyed by the main character. I understand the point the author was trying to make with the magic corrupting someone and having to pay the price for taking the easy way. However, I just ended up annoyed with Sabrina and her attitude and wondering when she would ever learn not to be stupid.

Daphne is probably the most interesting character in the series and she is the least written about, wis
Cassi
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know what. I've read harry potter and i still say this is my favorite series ever. I absolutly love Puck and the sparks between him and Sabrina are starting to show. Out of the entire series, This is definatly my Favorite. I'm still waiting for thelast book (WHich will be awesome). BTW. Don't say this is for readers not ready for harry potter. This is for readers who outgrew harry potter! This is a wonderful series that is not to be put down by harry potter! Grrr. Best book evr!!!!!
Ari
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was really...really good. And Daphne is still the star of these books for me. She is hilarious, so damn cute. I can't wait to keep reading.
Jan Mcdaniel
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Problem Child, written by Michael Buckley. Michael Buckley is the New York Times bestselling author of the Sisters Grimm and the NERDS series. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife and son. The Problem Child published in 2006 by Amulet Book, an imprint of Harry N. Abrams, Inc. The Problem Child is the third series of The Sisters Grimm. The setting takes place in Farryport Landing.

The first scene started out with Sabrina and Puck, one of the two main characters, attempting to escape from the ja
Lady of the Tower
This one was a little jerky. Sabrina's 'addiction' to magic is abruptly fixed, or at least not mentioned as an issue anymore; Uncle Jake's whole scene with the Blue Fairy at the end was REALLY weird and abrupt, and just as easily erased as though it had never happened, thus having little effect on the story or the characters; sudden introduction of 'the master' is sudden; Granny Relda was Annoying with a massive capital A (on par with annoying Mrs. Weasley from Order of the Phoenix) - I don't ge ...more
Natalie G.
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about two girls named Sabrina and Daphne Grimm. Who, go on an adventure to find the Scarlet Hand, and their disappearing parents Henry and Veronica Grimm. The setting is taken place in Ferryport Landing. The point of view is told by Sabrina Grimm. Some major characters in the book are, Sabrina Grimm, Daphne Grimm, Granny Relda, Little Red Ridding Hood, Uncle Jake, and Puck the Trickster King.

I thought this book was the best book out of the series so far. I thought that the writing
Jessica Thlick
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended my the other Sisters Grimm book. In this book Sabrina Grimm has found out that both to her parents or missing and are being kept hostage. Sabrina and her sister Daphne are trying to find different ways on how to find there parents. Her grandma helps them figure out who is keeping them hostage. My favorite quote is " You want me to be your boyfriend ,don't you?.....Before she knew how to react, the boy kissed her on the lips. A million thought run through Sabrina's head ...more
Logan H
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*****Spoiler Alert*****

I really liked the story, especially since you learn about Red Riding Hood who you picture as the sweet little girl, when she's a TOTAL psychopath. The murder of her family, drove her mad. She has started taking members of families to replace her family. She's kidnapped Sabrina and Daphne's parents, and soon their only family. Grandma Relda. Red Riding Hood teams up with a monster called the "Jabberwocky" I didn't like that thing especially since it almost killed Puck, my
Natasha
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery and Fantasy lovers
I like this book, alot, It's continued from book 2. This is my FAVORITE series so far. I personally love it! It has some romance, but not mushy mushy stuff. More like hate first then love. Its good though, boys would like puck, older girls would like Sabrina, and younger girls would like Daphne. The elders would probably like Granny Relda or Mr.Cancis. I personally like Sabrina and Puck, Sabrina is the main chracter though. Spoliers* I can't believe that puck actually does what he does in this b ...more
Jj
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june-book-list
Book 3 was very enchanting and captivating. I enjoyed the details and realism of the book. It gives that childhood feeling. In this book, Sabrina has found her parents, but they are asleep and being held captive by Little Red Riding Hood and her pet Jabberwocky.

Things get a little crazy when Jacob Grimm comes in the picture. He gives the background history to the Brothers Grimm.

At the very end it leaves you with a lot of unanswered questions and endings that has transpired through the whole book
Stephen
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the series - my daughter made me read the last three chapters of the book non-stop. As a parent I appreciate the author's take on magic, how it is a useful tool but can be addictive and destructive, and how it is more important to have smarts and skills. On to the next book!
Maya
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Problem Child is very interesting. Sabrina and Daphne's world is turned upside-down when they find out who has their parents, and they have to get them back! Puck and Sabrina's love is obvious, but they don't know it yet. I honestly could read this series over and over again, and I would never get tired of it! This is my favorite book series in the world! <3
Kayla
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book, it had a lot of exiting moments in it. Also I thought it was funny when the sisters told Puck if he went with them to the (hospital) they could all go to the overpass and toss eggs at passing cars.
Alley Kat
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in the series so far for sure. It once again addressed the main problem of finding Sabrina and Daphne's parents, this time adding two new character into the mix Red Riding Hood and Uncle Jake. It had a little less Puck which was disappointed but at least explained.
Kathleen Fung
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this vook its really funny because Puck kisses Sabrina and them Daphne said "did you two kiss and make up?"
Jenni James
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fun and fast paced grimm book by Michael Buckley. Me and my daughters are in love with this series!
William Cooley
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a really good book but you have to finish iy because the ending is the best part
Anushka
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catalogued
Maddison
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tower-teams-17
I started this book months ago, and I'm pleased I finally decided to pick it back up again yesterday and finish it. One less book sitting in my shelf with a bookmark in it :p Due to the large gap in between, I can't exactly remember what happened in the first half of the book, but I loved the focus on (view spoiler) and also the fact they met (view spoiler) ...more
Andrea
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked book 3 better than the previous two. I am more comfortable with the characters and their world, so I spend less time trying to piece together motivations and decide if I like them or not. So I can spend more time enjoying the world. The new relative and use of magic were good additions and not what I expected. I will continue reading this series because I love these characters.
If my kid was reading them, I would definitely be discussing things along the way. They do feel a little
Nora
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book in the Sisters Grimm, I feel that Michael Buckley did not write up to the potential possible. The Problem Child was also sort of confusing to me, and I think that there were a couple things that could have been added so that it would have been less confusion. Altogether, though, I liked this book and think it worth reading.
Marina
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sister Grimm: Who's your fav 2 2 Jan 04, 2016 02:23PM
  • Once Upon a Curse (Tales of the Frog Princess, #3)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • Widow's Revenge (Wesley Mackey, #2)
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
  • Apple-y Ever After (Princess School, #6)
  • The Sword in the Grotto (Araminta Spookie, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Michael Buckley was born in Akron, Ohio. He tried his hand as a stand-up comic and lead singer for a punk rock back before attending Ohio University. After graduating with honors he moved to New York City to be an intern on the Late Show with David Letterman which led to stints developing programming for Discovery Networks, MTV, MTV Animation and Klasky Csupo (pro ...more
More about Michael Buckley...

The Sisters Grimm (9 books)
  • The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1)
  • The Unusual Suspects (The Sisters Grimm, #2)
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)
  • Tales From the Hood (The Sisters Grimm, #6)
  • The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, #7)
  • The Inside Story (The Sisters Grimm, #8)
  • The Council of Mirrors (The Sisters Grimm, #9)

“The only bad ideas are the ones never tried.” 99 likes