Start by marking “Falling Up” as Want to Read:

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  125,655 ratings  ·  1,575 reviews

Millie McDeevit screamed a scream
So loud it made her eyebrows steam.
She screamed so loud
Her jawbone broke,
Her tongue caught fire,
Her nostrils smoked...

Poor Screamin' Millie is just one of the unforgettable characters in this wondrous new book of poems and drawings by the creator of Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic. Here you will also meet Allison Beals

Unknown Binding, 178 pages
Published May 30th 1996 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Up, please sign up.
Therese This book is full of creative little poems. I highly recommend it :D
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Livie Parker maybe the author just wanted different kinds of poems for people to read. but I agree there are crazy, weird, very different poems in this book!

·  125,655 ratings  ·  1,575 reviews

Start your review of Falling Up
Ahmad Sharabiani
Falling Up, Shel Silverstein

Falling Up is a 1996 poetry collection for children by Shel Silverstein.

It features illustrations, drawn by the author, for most of the 144 poems. Silverstein dedicated the book to his son, Matthew.

It is also the third and final poetry collection by Silverstein in his lifetime, as he died 3 years after Falling Up was released.

I tripped on my shoelace
Up where the
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Shel Silverstein's books never fail to put a smile on my face.

Firstly, because they are charming and delightful, funny and witty, but also because they bring me back to my childhood. My friends and I used to read Silverstein poems and perform them in class, and anytime I read them now they bring me back to those days.

It's time to get my hands on a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends once again.
Chin Hwa
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some wonderful gems from this anthology of poems and drawings:

FALLING UP

Up where the colors
Blend into the sounds.
But it got me so dizzy
When I looked around,
I got sick to my stomach
And I threw down.

Fro
Michael Finocchiaro
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, kids, favorites
As always, a wonderful book of beautiful, funny and endearing poems from Shel Silverstein. My favorites:

Diving Board

You've been up on that diving board
Making sure that it's nice and straight.
You've made sure that it's not too slick.
You've made sure that it can stand the weight.
You've made sure that the spring is tight.
You've made sure that the cloth won't slip.
You've made sure that it bounces right.
And now that your toes can get a grip -
And you've been up there since half past five
Doin everythin
Ronyell
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Shel Silverstein fans!!!
Falling Up

Ever since I was little, I have been a huge fan of Shel Silverstein’s works as they were creative, controversial and hilarious to read through! I have practically read almost all of Shel Silverstein’s works including Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic, and Every Thing on It and I had enjoyed every single one of them! Now, I have finally read another one of Shel Silverstein’s books called “Falling Up” and it was just as enjoyable as Shel Silverstein’s other works!

This is another book t
Stephen
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I think this is my favorite Shel Silverstein offering. One of those books that can be enjoyed by children and adults depending on how deeply you dive into the meaning of the stories. Incredibly imaginative and very well done.
Heather
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good laugh
Shelves: humor, kid-lit
I fell in love with the plays on words and how childlike the poems were. It didn't take a whole lot of thinking to interpret the poems, because it was all there, clearly stated in the poem.
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
After seeing this on one of my friends list I couldn’t resist re-reading it. I read this book to my children when they were small. It’s both entertaining and educational. It’s a great way to introduce children to art, poetry and the limitless of one’s imagination.
Gauri
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the third Silverstein book I've read to my brother, and he hasn't seemed to show me one bit that he's tired of it. He's really enjoyed this one, and I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times too. This is another great book to read at bedtime or I guess, anytime.
Danelle

But those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All ran away
From one little
did.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
I Love the poem about Pinnochio!!! okie dokie-io!
Samantha
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the poems as a child and still do!!!
Carrie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, poetry
Odd little poems with even odder drawings.
Jenna Kennedy
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
With black, sketched illustrations on cream colored pages, the words flow down the pages as they do off of the reader’s tongue. The lyrical type narration use rhyme and repetition to show the adventure of Pinocchio (on page 46). An illustration of the wooden toy boy sits on the bottom of the page, with his nose as long as one, two, three lies. About ten stanzas long, this tale is only a part of the 171 page long book of poems for young readers. The silly and quirky stories use different types of ...more
April*procrastinator and proud*
lol!
i can recite a poem right form it!!
Ickle me, pickle me, tickle me too
ent for a ride in a flying shoe, hooray what fun,
its time we flew,
cried Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,

Ickle was captain Pickle was crew Tickle serves cofee and mulligan stew and higher and higher and higher they flew,
Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too.

Ickle me Pickle me Tickle me too,
Never returned to the world they knew,
and no one knows what happened to,
dear Ickle me, Pickle me Tickle me too,.

lawl, that was my favorite
chrissy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
One Word Review Game/Challenge: Poems, poems, and even more poems

My Review: I love all of Silverstein's poems, but this book has to be my favorite collection of his poems. I just found them very enjoyable to read, some made me crack a smile and a little laugh at times. This was a very fun book for me to read. I appreciate the way that Silverstein approaches the poems and crafts them together. Another thing I appreciated was how these poems aren't too advanced, at all, and they are something that
Dolly
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I received Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic as presents as a child and they are still treasured possessions. We've read them together and our girls love the poems, especially our youngest. So for her birthday this year, I bought her this book. I think I read it years ago, but since I didn't own it, I don't know the poems nearly as well.

Our youngest only 'allows' us to read a couple of poems together each night, so it took us quite a long time to finish this book. It was just as
Alyssa Davila
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i remember when i was in first grade, i had to do read a poem from his poem book Falling Up and i decided to pick a poem about this little kid going home and he notices a hat following him, the little kid gets all paranoid and relizes the hat has a tail. the little boy picks up the hat a comes to find that under the hat was either a little cat or a dog, i really cant remember, it was kind of a long time ago. but those poems made up my childhood. they made me think, analize, and got me to believe ...more
Dominick
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an amusing if not quite classic set of poems for children. Some are fairly conventional offering relatively common and unexceptionable didacticism, but others definitely play into children's appreciation for the macabre, the cheeky, and the transgressive. There's rather more death and dismemberment than you might expect in work aimed at fairly young readers, but Silverstein knows that kids love to be repelled, grossed out, and scared, within certain limits, and he does not shy away from ...more
Sheena
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Really fun to read outloud to my children. I find it more fun to read as an adult than it was as a child. Just brilliant. Favorite poem.
Tell me pg. 154

Tell me I'm sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I'm perfect-
But tell me the truth.

This book is as close to perfection as can be. And that's the truth.
Lorryn Woodward
I read this years ago when I was younger but I do think I need to read them again. I want to read them to the kids but the stack of books to read them is already out of control and only one actually stays listening....
They are so cute and I remembered a few once I read them again. Where the Sidewalk Ends will always be my favorite of the two.
Jacob_Tyler
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
"Falling Up" is like any other Shel Silverstein poetry books. The reason I didn't like this book very much was because her poems don't have any deep meaning to them. It annoys me how Shel Silverstein tries to be funny but isn't. One good thing about this book is how creative the poems are. "Falling Up" is a okay poetry book, and if you enjoy poetry you might like it.
Book Him Danno
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love his books, the flow of the poems and the way he captures little snippets of real life is amazing. I think Shel is extrememly gifted. Everyone of his books is up there in my list of favorites.
Darion Williams
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was also just a mixture of a lot of poems in one book and they were all cool. I liked this book because it was really really funny and some of them were super weird. I would recommend this book to [eople who like poems that are funny and weird.
david
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
F U N
Morgan Ashley
Aug 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
I need to read this all the way through.
Dee's Reading Zone
It's so easy to find yourself laughing out loud when reading the cute and funny poems in Shel Silverstein's "Falling Up"... so original and frank! How I loved reading this book!

"Never explain what you do. It speaks for itself. You only muddle it by talking about it."

"Tell me I’m clever, Tell me I’m kind, Tell me I’m talented, Tell me I’m cute, Tell me I’m sensitive, Graceful and Wise Tell me I’m perfect. But tell me the TRUTH."

"No teacher, preacher, parent, friend or wise man can decide what’s
Laura Jean
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, humor, 2018, poetry
I have owned this book for over 20 years and I don't think I've ever sat down and read the entire thing through. It's such a fun and lovely book. I found myself laughing aloud a couple of times. It's fun and irreverent and much deeper at times than one might suppose.
Jason Smith
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun kid poems. I read it aloud to my daughter.
Katie Brandner
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love ALL Shel Silverstein books! They bring back so many wonderful memories and I can read them over and over.
Poetry 1 6 Nov 01, 2017 08:22PM

• The Collected Poems
  • The Sneetches and Other Stories
  • Beowulf
  • The Waste Land and Other Poems
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Lorax
  • Otras maneras de usar la boca + El sol y sus flores (pack)
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
  • The Princess Saves Herself in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #1)
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.