Start by marking “The Elementals” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  8,863 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews
On a split of land cut off by the Gulf, three Victorian summer houses stand against the encroaching sand. Two of the houses at Beldame are still used. The third house, filling with sand, is empty...except for the vicious horror which is shaping nightmares from the nothingness that hangs in the dank, fetid air.

The McCrays and Savages, two fine Mobile families allied by marr
Published October 1st 1981 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Elementals, please sign up.
Jim Puskas Yes. Christopher Fowler in his "Book of Forgotten Authors" identifies a recurrent theme in McDowell's books: "McDowell frequently returns to the idea …moreYes. Christopher Fowler in his "Book of Forgotten Authors" identifies a recurrent theme in McDowell's books: "McDowell frequently returns to the idea of being engulfed by natural forces, as man-made walls collapse and seas rise .... and he links these natural catastrophes to our own selfishness or blindness, flaws that leave dark stains on future generations.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
James The Savage family seems cursed, and the boys will be subject to it. That's my guess, anyway.

·  8,863 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews

Start your review of The Elementals
PirateSteve
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: southern-gothic
I would read a lot more horror tales if they were all this well written with this much originality.
If you are looking for that perfect horror story to take with you to the beach... this is it.

So have you ever been walking along a beach and felt the sand trying to pull you down?
Just a natural settling you say.
But did you look to see if perhaps it had left a mark around your ankles?
The sand wants what it wants.
Have you ever returned indoors after a day at the beach, took a long shower in or
Char
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fans of 80's atmospheric horror
Recommended to Char by: Tressa Fancher
This book was a total pleasure, from start to finish. To enhance that pleasure, I read it with a group of horror lovers over at Goodreads and we had a ball!

Written back in the 80's a lot of my fellow book loving friends have recommended THE ELEMENTALS to me over the last few years. Problem was it was out of print and I couldn't even find 1 copy of anything he's written in the various used book stores in which I shop. Then, Valancourt Books came to the rescue! Valancourt is dedicated to bringin
mark monday
here's a rant:

the constant marginalization of horror really pisses me off. this is, after all, a genre that includes works by Edgar Allan Poe, Henry James, Ambrose Bierce, Ray Bradbury, Shirley Jackson, Joyce Carol Oates, Justin Cronin... so many classic and modern luminaries. it includes modern unknowns like Thomas Ligotti, who can out-write 9 authors out of 10, and dazzling semi-unknowns like Robert Aickman, whose prose can be compared favorably to best of Beattie or Byatt or Boyle. and yet it
Kimberly
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of classic, supernatural horror
SOLID 5 STARS!

Honestly, I think I'd have a difficult time finding a better example of a "quiet horror" book that delivers genuine chills! The southern atmosphere and isolation of the vacation houses of the two main families couldn't have been in a better location. With nothing except the shifting sands and surf for company, the scene here was set perfectly for a horror so unsettling, that even I couldn't predict what would happen next!

If you're looking for a gore/torture fest, you won't find it
Dan Schwent
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018
When Marian Savage dies, her son and his family head south to Beldame to recover in beach houses that have been in the family for generations. The family splits and takes two of the beach houses. The third house stays vacant, for an ancient evil lurks within...

I read Blackwater: The Complete Caskey Family Saga earlier this year and loved it. Michael McDowell has been on my radar ever since. When my cohort Anthony offered to loan it to me, I jumped on it.

I have to think The Elementals is a trial
Fabian
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always present in my mind is the notion that the 80s comedy Beetlejuice must get a sequel. (Alas, a Broadway musical will suffice.) That film molded my nerdy self into the literophile we have today: Oh what a marvelous imagination behind one of the funniest and most creative screenplays of all time!

& then to realize that the writer of said masterpiece also wrote horror novels! Horror novels of the best quality! And there is plenty to admire in "The Elementals," a story that has accumulated dust
Jonathan Janz
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If Tennessee Williams wrote a supernatural horror novel, it would read like THE ELEMENTALS.

This statement isn't completely true, of course; Michael McDowell was a fiercely unique author who wrote unlike any other. But some of the most fascinating aspects of Tennessee Williams's plays are exhibited in this novel: atypical/dysfunctional familial relationships; unpleasant truths suppressed or left unspoken; horror-through-acquiescence; moments of shocking violence; manipulative, vicious matriarchs
Horace Derwent
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"savage mothers eat their children up!"

...still the parrot squawking about my ears

in 1981, the paperback costed $2.95, now it costs over $20.95, but that's not what's stir-frying my ass...it's that the golden age of horror novels is really gone and it's long gone, alas...

i'd been prepping for not getting ass stir-fried by this great book, but i'm now just being ass stir-fried by it and i'm enjoying it...

"the sands is the elementals, the sands is combing for you..."
Paul Nelson
The Elementals by Michael McDowell was first released in 1981 and then re-released in 2014 by Valancourt Books with an introduction by author Michael Rowe.

The story begins with the funeral of Marian Savage, the matriarch of an old and opulent family from Alabama with an intriguingly peculiar and disturbing burial rite.

The Savage family are linked by marriage, friendship and history to the McCrays and both families spend the summer at Beldame. An island compound on which sits three identical Vict
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Please do not read on if you are easily disturbed by the graphic image below.

This is an image of a little girl right before her death. I'm sure many of you have seen this image. If you're a horror fanatic and feel the pain of this little girl, this is the book for you.

(view spoiler)

This is my second Michael McDowell Once again, the master of ghost houses and familial interactions as well as making one feel welcome in the Southern State of Alabama.

I cannot express how much Mr
Katie
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5/5 Review of this will be up tomorrow!
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Reviewed 2014 typo corrected 2018

You know...I'd forgotten these books. My wife found this (and I'll say "these" as she went from this book to McDowell's Blackwater series. This isn't part of that series, but I always think of them together as I read it after my wife in her "McDowell Period").

My wife was always more the "horror" fan than I was/am and she ended up introducing me to several authors/books I probably would never have tried had she not found them first. During our marriage we would oc
Jon Recluse
Three houses. Isolated on a spit of land along the Gulf Coast of Alabama known as Beldame. Two are occupied in season. One is abandoned, slowly being swallowed up by the ever-shifting dunes. But far from empty. For within the shifting sands, something stirs.
This book is a masterpiece of Southern Gothic. An atmospheric sun-drenched sojourn into horror that matches pace to place, a laconic stroll through the hazy, lazy days of summer, populated by the kind of eccentrics you only find below the Mas
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
This is a tough book for me to review. There are things I hated about it and there are things I really, really loved about it.
This is a *very* slow burn of a book. It starts off with an interesting hook in the prologue but then it rambles for an age before anything really gets interesting. Fans of a classic Southern Gothic tale will love the way McDowell sets the stage and then engages his characters in witty banter--you can almost hear the whiskey laced, Southern drawls.
A matriarch, Mother Sav
Layton
I'm so glad I had read three other Michael McDowell books before this one. It made The Elementals seem even better.

Welcome to Beldame, a sandbar set out in the Gulf of Mexico, where three houses stand. Two are used by the connected families, the McCrays and the Savages. The third sits at the end of the sandbar, slowly being covered and filled by sand. It sits there long abandoned and ready to be forgotten.

description

description

Something evil lurks in that third house and the inhabitants of Beldame are about to figur
Montzalee Wittmann
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
By: Michael McDowell
Narrated by: R.C. Bray
This is an excellent book for the horror fan that likes the paranormal variety. This is about a couple of families that have grown up together in the south. One moved away to New York but everyone is back for a funeral. The characters are all so fleshed out so well! I could picture someone like each one of them. There are three large homes, one is called The Third House and no one goes into it, ever. The book then reveals why. Very exciting
BrokenTune
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BrokenTune by: Char
Shelves: reviewed
“Oh,” he whispered, “sorry, Nails, you all right?”
He smiled, remembering in what affection his mother had held the shrill bird— despite its disappointing speechlessness. He raised the cover to peer inside. The parrot flapped its iridescent, blood-red wings and stuck its beak between the bars. Its flat black eye reflected light that was not in the room. For the first time in its eight-year life, the parrot spoke. In cold imitation of Luker McCray’s voice, the parrot cried: “Savage mothers eat the
Karl
This is copy 40 of 300.

signed by artist Camille Alquier.
Bonus interview with Michael McDowell by Stanley Wiater

A haunted house story unlike any other, Michael McDowell’s The "Elementals" (1981) was one of the finest novels to come out of the horror publishing explosion of the 1970s and ’80s.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* by: Tressa

When reading this, expect to go between dry humor and subtle creepiness.

Unusual characterization makes the book stand out as much as the plot does. I’ve never seen a father-daughter relationship like Luker and his daughter India. It’s not possible to describe well – he hates his ex-wife and she hates her mother, and they don’t care either. I’m guessing he does what is right and loves his daughter but has much more of a friend than father relationship – they swear comfortably in front of
Tom Mathews
Alabama native and horror writer Michael McDowell knew Southern Gothic. This creepy masterpiece from the golden age of horror blends the indolence of a steamy southern summer with the horror of unknown things that lurk on the fringes of the imagination. The setting, three Victorian mansions set on a tiny island on Alabama's gulf coast is an ideal setting for a tale that will leave you chilled even in the hot summer sun.

I want to thank the folks at the Literary Darkness group in Goodreads for int
David Brian
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are certain books which I tend to think of fondly and consider as favorites, only later to re-read and discover that the passing of time has dulled the enjoyment I felt during that initial reading. Maybe, in later years, I will re-read The Elementals by Michael McDowell, and perhaps by then I will have found more deserving favorites.
It's a possibility.
For now though, I would have to say that The Elementals is the finest example of Southern Gothic, and/or Quiet Horror, that I have had the p
Bill
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite its slow pace or maybe because of it I was drawn into this one from the very first chapter, which really set the tone and feel of this one.

Screaming Nails. Family secrets. Family rituals. The Elementals.

Something sinister is going on near the McCray and Savage family homes at Beldame. A presence has made itself known. It lives in the sand that is slowly devouring the third house and now it wants more. Much more.

A very good Southern Slow Burn Horror tale that really cranks up the tensio
Ginny
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scary, audible
I don't as a rule read horror books anymore, gore is boring and it's a genre overpopulated with silly plots. I was tempted into listening to this by it's promise of something more literary and subtle in nature, and it didn't disappoint. A highly satisfying mix of dry humour and creepiness, with great characters brought to life by the always superb R C Bray (I developed a real soft spot for Big Barbara, bless her, purely due to his wonderfully sympathetic portrayal). In his hands the atmospheric ...more
Addy
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing piece of southern literature. The characters were likeable and pretty awesome, especially India, although her relationship with her dad could be questionable. The houses in Beldame seemed like the perfect vacation although I emphasize seemed and if you read this book, which I highly recommend, you will see why. I'll tell you this, you certainly won't see sand the same way! Something is waiting for these two families that you won't wanna miss! Can't wait to read more from this ...more
Mindi
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt that while The Elementals was entertaining, essentially it was flawed, and so I was unable to give it a 3 star rating.

Michael McDowell wrote this novel in 1980 during the golden age of paperback horror fiction. Some very talented horror writers were churning out a large number of quality horror novels during this period in the 70's and 80's, and while most of those titles are now out of print, the ones I have managed to find have been exceptionally good.

Recently, Valancourt Books brought
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was one creepy little read.
The audiobook was fantastic.
Nancy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, and Wow! Funny thing, I had just told my husband I wished for a really good ghost/horror story and it was impossible to find one. One that would make me sit on the edge of my seat and not put the book down until it was over. Not long after saying that, read a review by Char, and I immediately got both the Audible version (highly recommend) and the eBook version which I read whenever I could not listen.

To say I found what I was looking for is an understatement! This is the best horror story
Melissa
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, horror, favorites
The person who wrote the prologue was correct when he stated that the setting was a character in this book. This review won't do the book proper justice because I'm writing it in a hurry... Aside from the strange opening act, the first half of the book left me wondering if this book was indeed correctly classified as "horror." There were a few events of a supernatural nature that occurred in the early stages of the novel, but then things appeared to calm down. Just past the halfway point, the si ...more
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Michael McDowell is a hidden treasure from the 1980's. His horror novels are sharp and even humorous. THE ELEMENTALS is a brilliant book of southern gothic writing. I could have sworn I was reading Pat Conroy, but then you also get Stephen King to boot!;) I'm intrigued to try McDowell's acclaimed Blackwater The Complete Saga by Michael McDowell as well. ...more
Nancy Oakes
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one's a 4.5, and I do have to say that while I was reading it, nature provided the perfect backdrop -- hard rain, thunder, and lightning so bright it flashed through the closed blinds. I would also like to say that Valancourt Books has done readers a huge favor with this reissued classic -- they have made it widely available at a very good price -- have you seen the cost of a used crappy mass market paperback of this book?

absolutely no spoilers ahead:

• The Reddening
  • The Only Good Indians
  • Survivor Song
  • Twelve Nights at Rotter House
Michael McDowell is a prolific horror writer who has distinguished himself with a varied body of work within the genre. He was born in Enterprise, Alabama, in 1950 and died of AIDS-related illness in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1999.

His first horror novel, The Amulet, relates the tragedies that befall various individuals who come in possession of a supernatural pendant in a small town.

In McDowell's

News & Interviews

“Savage mothers eat their children!” 9 likes
“Alcoholism is a disease,” she said. “Like athlete’s foot. Or herpes. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. Luker and I have lots of friends who are alcoholics. And speed freaks too.” “Well,” 6 likes