Start by marking “Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age

Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age

Published April 2016 by Pichler Consulting

Start your review of Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
Jose Papo
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are a Product Manager or must think about launching new products and services you must read this book. It focus on two important topics fot Product Development: Strategy and Roadmapping. Pichler describes several techniques, authors and tools to think and describe your product strategy and your product roadmaps. It's a small book but rich in content. Strongly recommended read. ...more
Ian Stewart
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great reference book on forming a product strategy, getting it into a roadmap, and implementing it milestone by milestone. My limited experience with full-blown “official” Agile development made some parts a little cloudier for me but if I made it through anyone can.
Tonybolero
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: user-experience
Good overview but unbalanced

A good introduction and overview of digital product strategy.

The book is divided into two sections- product strategy and roadmaps. This makes the the book a little unbalanced. Topics in the first part of the book could have certainly been expanded into own chapters but are only briefly mentioned while the author goes into great detail about roadmaps.
Sophie
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
It covers the basics of product strategy & roadmaps, with clear frameworks, models and principles. It is straight forward - no story telling, mainly concrete examples. For that reason, it is a good guidebook to learn and/or be reminded about key concepts.
Chris T
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Introduces some nice frameworks around the strategy and product processes.
Ahmad hosseini
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: management, startup
Product strategy Vs. Product roadmap
The product strategy describes how the long-term goal is attained; it includes the product’s value proposition, market, key features, and business goals. The product roadmap shows how the product strategy is put into action by stating specific releases with dates, goals, and features.
This book will help you play a proactive game, make the right strategic decisions, and use them to guide the tactical work. It explains how to create a winning product strategy an
Nestor Jimenez
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: profession
Excellent book! Concise and useful as a guide to managing strategy as a Product Manager.

It is a MUST if you are in charge of delivering a product.
Rohit Kumar
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Has a lot of frameworks and reasonings with real life examples which can be used to design a good product strategy!
Vikrama Dhiman
Overall, I’d give the book 3 out of 5. It has enough sparkle to be remembered. I wish Roman keeps producing new editions and upgrades this text. The innovation in organization diagram, product roadmaps, vision-strategy-roadmap-backlog cycle were the most interesting parts for me. It took me about 3 hours to read the book.

Detailed review here https://www.vikramadhiman.com/strateg...
Hugo Song
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is good for someone who's new into product management, as it goes over both the 'breakdown strategically' and the 'project management' aspect. I personally found the title a bit misleading as the 'strategy' part is somewhat hand-wavy and high level. ...more
Fabian
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice introduction but lacks depth. The content should have been a blog post (or three).
Boni Aditya
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it
There is something wrong about this book. I finished two books back to back before this, and each of them took only a week. The other books were double the size of this book and more complex than this oue.

It took me two weeks to complete. No matter how hard I tried to read the book, I could not concentrate on it for more than a few pages at a time.

The last time a book took so much time for me to process is the black swan.

Why is this so?

The author does not stick to one topic at a time, he talks
Melvin
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable short overview of practices for developing and maintaining product strategies and product roadmaps. The text is written clearly, sparkled with real-world examples, and well organized. Some chapters were a bit long, though.

In practice, I rarely see a product strategy artifact; the product strategy is typically dispersed among the product vision, product roadmap, and release plans. So, it was good to see it treated separately as a first-class artifact for strategic planning. I liked the
Andréas Dieryck
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: product
This book is like having a Martian returning from Earth trying to explain what a burger is to his fellow people, but doing so by focusing on the molecular structure of each main ingredient, one slice at a time. You’re going to understand what it is physically speaking, but you won’t have the faintest idea of how to even start cooking it. This book is interesting. Surely, the author knows what he is talking about. However, as the reader, you can’t really understand it. There are very few examples ...more
Mark Schleier
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon...

Book rating criteria; to help objectify my ratings.
1. Will I read it again?
No, likely not, but will definitely hit the main points frequently.

2. Would I recommend this to others?
Yes, this is an excellent primer and overview to product management theory and I'd especially recommend to anyone desiring to be a leader of product.

3. Am I smarter, better or wiser as a result of this book?
Yes, especially around formulating vision and strategy to get to roadmapping.

4. Was I
Robson Castilho
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A practical overview of product strategy and roadmapping, with good advices and tools. It shows how it's important to have someone (or a group of people) accountable by company's products, planning products' strategies, involving stakeholders and taking care of products' lifecycle.
Highly recommended to entrepreneurs, people in roles of Product Manager or Product Owner (a Scrum role) and those interested in learning about product management.
Diego
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and basic intro to some core Product Management concepts

If you are knew to product management, this will give you a quick and light weight intro to the concept of roadmaps but not much else in terms of skills and principles for becoming a great product manager.

As a more seasoned PM, this will give you a quick refresher if you’ve spent too much time head down managing a backlog
Mithun
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Concise yet effective

I wasn’t expecting to review my product concepts in such detail within a short book. Roman has been able to lead the way in articulating structure using templates with examples that meets modern day product managements requirements. His is a warm up before you take the big rides. I recommend.
Mykolas Petrauskas
Mar 03, 2021 rated it liked it
Found the book very much for product strategy /roadmapping beginners. If you already dealt with product strategy or roadmap - won't find anything new. Quite theoretical and doesn't touch on actual practical challenges everyone inevitably runs dealing with these topics. That makes this book a good primer though - just don't take what you read for granted ...more
Gerard Chiva
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book is a good summary of strategy practice and techniques. It is divided into two chapters: strategy and roadmaps.

I like its practical approach and down-to-earth recommendations.

However, it is just about techniques and practices, nothing about how to actually define a winning strategy.

Highly recommended for aspiring product owners and product managers.
Patrick
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some good stuff in here, though a lot of it is rehash from other sources, so if you read on this topic often, you'll find yourself skimming past large chunks. That said, it's a nice round-up of frameworks and has some great lenses on how to think about product strategy at different stages. ...more
Andrew Hew
Good information for product managers

Good basic coverage for product managers wanting to hone their skills further. Teaches some key concepts that not all product managers understand.
Juan Manuel Vera
Great book, great advices

Very well written book. All the concepts are deeply explained. Suggested templates are very useful and ready to use. I enjoyed reading this book and taking ideas for mi job and business.
Francisco
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a perfect and a must complement that all Product Owner or Product Manager should know about how to manage a Product in a successful way. It contains how to define and implement a Product strategi, depending on the kind of product and market, it helps in...
Gautam
Apr 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read for a senior Product manager or aspiring Product Leaders.

Connects the dots between the big picture and tactical things very well! One of the few books which give very good, practical and hands-on advice on how to improve your product development process.
Arunthep Sangvareethip
The book is clear leaving right room for improvisation

Good book, I really enjoy it and can be put to good use. Good for product manager or even the corporate strategist.
Mohamed Gaber
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Direct to the point, many models to use to manage products on different scales. I like also the stories, overall it's a practical book I recommend ...more
Kristjan
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Too dry to read - offers methodical approaches and theory behind, but only on fundamentals (read: basic) level.
Dario
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the second part about roadmap a little bit more easy reading than the first one.
Antti Aalto
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, product
Product management for dummies. Concise and opinionated. Skips all background and science behind the practice, which may or may not be your cup of tea.

• Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Outcomes Over Output: Why customer behavior is the key metric for business success
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience