Start by marking “The Other Alice” as Want to Read:
The Other Alice

The Other Alice

What happens when a tale with real magic, that was supposed to be finished, never was? This is a story about one of those stories . . .

Midge loves riddles, his cat, Twitch, and ‒ most of all ‒ stories. Especially because he’s grown up being read to by his sister Alice, a brilliant writer.

When Alice goes missing and a talking cat turns up in her bedroom, Midge searches
Published July 28th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about The Other Alice, please sign up.
Michelle Harrison Fairies no, fairy tale references - yes.

Start your review of The Other Alice
Artemis
I was hooked from the first page, and 'The Other Alice' never let me go.

Oh how long has it been since a fantasy novel enchanted me? Made me want to start writing fantasy myself again?

'The Other Alice' has the "characters from fiction books come to life in the real world" premise that's rarely been done well, in my experience. Oh my goddesses, Michelle Harrison's expertly planned-out and wonderful children's book did it justice so, so well. I didn't like '13 Treasures', but 'The Other Alice' dro
Lisa Farrell
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this for school's book club (and to see if would be ok for my daughter). I loved it- it kept me gripped all the way through. A bit derivative (this was similar to Inkheart) but then I loved Inkheart so I didn't mind it. Will definitely be recommending this to the group!
Les McFarlane
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed that! A great story about stories. A touch of sorcery mixed with a generous dollop of old wives tales and fairy tales. I enjoyed its adventures, even the dark chinks in the cloth of tales! Just a tiny thing niggled at me, I was sorry that it's cover made it appealing to girls as it's hero was a boy. Just a very small grumble and only expressed as I thought it limits its audience.
Chantelle Hazelden
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Other Alice is a book aimed at children aged 9 and upwards, however I am a big kid at heart so thought I would have a read before I gave it to my eldest girls to look at.

Filled with magic, mystery and a cast of characters that are highly entertaining, this story is definitely one to keep you turning the pages.

A clever concept as it is a book within a book, except there is an added twist, this second book has come to life, well i
Meisha
I believe this is suppose to be loosely based off of Alice In Wonderland. But to me it felt like a mix of a bunch of Disney fairytales. Like Alice (obviously), The Little Mermaid and more than anything, Sleeping Beauty! The villain especially gave me strong Malificent vibes! I also adored the cat. She was my favorite character. Very sassy, lazy, curious and a know it all 😆 typical cat! Besides, who doesn’t love talking cats in books? She really added a lot to the story for me.
Anyway, I found the
VioletteDoree
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes us in a new world of fairytales with action, twisted plot and charming characters. We are caught in the swirl of adventure, always willing to know what happens next. Even if some parts of the story seems to be a little too obvious, the author surprises us many times whitout letting us the time to get bored.
J. M. Hodne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am planning on re-reading this many, many times. Michelle Harrison did such a amazing job that I couldn't believe it! If she ever comes out with a sequel to it, I would definitely read it. This book is so inspiring and...magical! I was not prepared for the twists that took place, and it's something I feel should have a place at as many libraries as possible.
Keep on reading,
Wisp
Steph Kimble
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read
Michelle has a history of writing books that are full of twists and turns, with a sprinkle of magic. This was no different. There are twists, turns, spirals and loop the loops. The Other Alice is a book for story lovers, with its nods to traditional tales and writers. If you know that all stories have a bit of magic in them, a mind of their own even, then this is the book for you.
jenn
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ella
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsty
May 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
It's beautiful in it's writing style as I always expect from Michelle but I'm struggling majorly with anything with even the faintest whiff of fantasy about it of late no matter how good it is. Setting aside for now.
Lyra
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, favourites
Definitely a book I will always come back to!
Nikki Sheehan
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, complex and beautifully told, The Other Alice took my breath away. Wonderful!
Cat
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is everything I ever wished for dreams to be as a child. It's magical and wonderful and I'm extra happy that I bought a copy for my niece. I can't wait to share it with her!
Neddy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I am to tell the truth, I must say the other Alice was a gripping, heart breaking book which really made me feel for Midge, Piper and Gypsy. Unlike most books, we, as a reader, were able to understand the characters as if we were them. There were times when I felt sad and sorry for the characters like when Gpsy found she was not a real human and when they all disappeared into the story but they were times when I just could not stop smiling like when... the reason I chose not to finish this se ...more
Katy Noyes

Inkheart is the children's book that many know for characters coming out of or into stories. This novel uses a similar idea, another dark theme, and weaves a tale of a storyteller into that of her characters. More recently Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Meer have quite successfully created a book about a girl and a storybook prince falling in love and meeting - Between the Lines - so it's an idea that is quite popular with young people.

Midge's older sister Alice is a natural and gifted
Evelyn hulme
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have no words to describe this book, this has taken me 1 day to read and I wish there was more of it, I am in awe at the way Michelle Harrison writes her novels she deserves a gold medal for this. I could not put it down it was intriguing from the very start and didn’t want it to end. I have a few others of her books and they are equally amazing as this is honestly if I could write like that I’d be writing books left right and centre!! This is one of the best books I’ve read this year, she def ...more
Atalia López
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have always believed that stories are magic, and this is truly a magical story.
The other Alice had me captivated from the get go ´cause I really believe that no matter the age, even if it's supposed to be a children´s book, all of us who like stories and have ever tried our hand at writing one, can relate to.
I liked all of the characters and even the villain! I thought a pretty good one!
But what I liked the most I think was the over all message about creating our own monster and therefore bein
Sabrina
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alice writes wonderful stories that her little brother Midge loves to listen to. But she bears a curse that means she must finish every single one of her stories, no matter how silly the ending. When she tries to write a novel she gets stuck and being unable to finish ends up bringing the characters to life, including some who are very dangerous.
Despite the dangers, I found myself wanting to live in one of Alice's worlds. She makes any simple thing seem magical where it would normally seem borin
Ludmila Marton
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
3.5 stars. I usually don't like when books are described as "cross between" but I'm going to make an exception for once.
This book felt like very weird cross between Inkheart, The Book of Story Beginnings and Alice in Wonderland, while touched upon other fairy tales like Sleeping Beauty.
There were aspects of the story I didn't connect with and some were incomplete I thought, but it was still an intriguing read.
Amy Mckee
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a childrens book that I normally wouldn’t have picked up but it was for book club. It was an easy read but not that enjoyable. It was basically just inkheart, although the plot was different the premise and the characters were basically exactly the same. There was also a lot of little problematic moments and a lot of things that were glossed over or underplayed. It wasn’t original or particularly well written but I finished it so it gets 2.5 stars rounding up.
Blake Farron
I've always liked stories that have played with the idea of bringing characters from books to life, and this is no exception. It was a cute, fun, imaginative read, if a bit cliche in places. The characters were fun, though the protagonist was a bit cardboard cut out. Really liked the fairytale references, especially the very light Alice in Wonderland theme (obviously).
Jennie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written story or stories ;-) I proof read this before handing it over to my daughter and I have to say, I enjoyed it possibly more than all of the others, which is a huge deal as I absolutely adored one wish and unrest!
Noura 📖📚
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Other Alice, to me was such a good book. For several reasons.

Firstly, I have never read a book or watched a movie, which has a character that is a writer, that so realistic. Alice silver, is the perfect way to look at a writer. She is normal looking girl, this sounds a little weird. But so many times, in books and movies. They portray a writer as a drunk man- or depressed man. Though Alice, is a funny and kind and everything a writer actually is like. I like to write a lot, I'm a writer, an
Lfd6675
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book is so clever in the way it was written; the plot and characters are remarkable and i just wanted to sit down and write a book as soon as i had finished. i recommend this book to EVERYONE!
i hope that you enjoy this book as much as i did. :)
Tehreem Tahir
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book! It got me back into reading and helped me get back into the realisation of the amazing worlds of books. I strongly recommend this book for everyone! literally everyone. Michelle Harrison is just an amazing writer and she sends you spiralling in this mysterious world!
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bina-has-to-read
lucy ♡
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’ve read this book twice. I first read it for my book club, then again because it was brilliant. It’s amazing from start to finish! The characters are really well written and I love the plot. The way it is written is purely amazing! Midge is so clever and the riddles are really fun :)
Millie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best mysterious book ever, read the whole series-sooooooooo good

• The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Battle for Perfect (Perfect, #3)
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Moonlocket (The Cogheart Adventures, #2)
  • The Witch's Boy
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Nevertell
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • The Lost Tide Warriors (Storm Keeper, #2)
  • The Way Past Winter
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to impossible places, #1)
  • Letters from the Lighthouse
  • Charisma
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Last Spell Breather
My first children's novel, THE 13 TREASURES, won the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and has been sold for translation in 17 countries worldwide. It's followed by two sequels: THE 13 CURSES and THE 13 SECRETS, and a prequel, ONE WISH.

I've also written UNREST, a ghost story for young adult readers, and THE OTHER ALICE. My latest novel is A SPRINKLE OF SORCERY, the sequel to the best-selling A PI