Start by marking “The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)

The Forgetting

(The Forgetting #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  7,858 ratings  ·  1,288 reviews
What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes.

Nadia lives in the city of Canaan, where life is safe and structured, hemmed in by white stone walls and no memory of what came before. But every twelve years the city descends into the bloody chaos of the Forgetting, a day of no remorse, when each person's memories – of parents, children, love, life, and self – are lo
Published September 13th 2016 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Forgetting, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kerr
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
S I got that Nadia was 18.
"born... 6 years after the forgetting" (p140).
7=1, 8=2, 9=3, 10=4, 11=5, 12=6 years old (her 1st "forgetting")
6+12 (forgetting…more
I got that Nadia was 18.
"born... 6 years after the forgetting" (p140).
7=1, 8=2, 9=3, 10=4, 11=5, 12=6 years old (her 1st "forgetting")
6+12 (forgetting every 12 years; her 2nd "forgetting") = 18.

I didn't catch a firm number for Gray. (Perhaps I missed something?) I was under the impression they were approximately the same age because there's repeated discussion of them going to school together. (And I made the leap that the schools are age-based, similar to ours.)

If someone's got a good number for Gray, I'd appreciate the book quote and page number to understand your calculation.(less)

·  7,858 ratings  ·  1,288 reviews

Lola
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia
I shouldn’t feel this good about crossing the finish line. I think it’s a bad sign when a book lover can’t wait to finish a book.

But so help me, I was dying of boredom. It’s not that the story isn’t interesting exactly, but it’s so damn slow. Slower than a tortoise. Slower than a boat at sea when there is no wind. Slower than Becky Bloomwood trying to choose between two pairs of shoes.

Wait, she’ll just pick both. Whatever, you can comprehend the point here.

The thing is, I was actually warned by
Candace Robinson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All smirks aside, because there was a ton of smirking, I ended up loving this one! Nadia does begin the book in an annoying fashion, but by the end her character has completely grown. The world was pretty interesting with wondering why these people forget everything every twelve years. The villain was a real piece of work. Loved it! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Sana
WARNING: lots of f bombs coming your way.

What a waste of my fucking time.

For those of you looking for a short and simple review:
Boring as fuck and confusing as fuck with a disgusting romance.

Here's a longer review:
This book could have been good if it weren't so fucking confusing and long and boring and had some extremely let-me-drink-some-bleach worthy romance.

The whole idea of the Forgetting was really unique and new, but I didn't really understand it and was hella confused to it because it was
may ❀

Buddy read with the lovely Francesca, Sana, Empress, and Maggie

DNF @ 50%

So, I didn’t want to start the year so early with a DNF, cause that’s just unnecessarily rood, - especially for me – but \_(ツ)_/

I’d really like to figure out how to induce a forgetting (or a //selective// forgetting perhaps) so that I can FORGET the torture that is this book.

I tried so hard to like this book, to finish this book, to be remotely interested in this book but sometimes it just ain’t your problem.

description

Publication Date: September 13, 2016
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC received from trade

Summary (from Goodreads):

What isn't written, isn't remembered. Even your crimes.

Nastassja

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This book is not as simple as it might look in the beginning. At first, it reminds you of something you've read or seen before: A sheltered society, walled from the rest of the world. No one knows what's outside, no one dares to cross the wall. People live by the means of manual labor. The whole system is pretty simple and Middle Ages like. But there's one peculiarity about it: every 1

Tammie
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Forgetting was almost put on my DNF list but I seriously hate not finishing a book- especially one that I paid for and arrived signed in my book subscription box. The first half of the book was slow and I was utterly confused but the second half really picked up and got more interesting as I learned what The Forgetting was really all about. Overall- a really interesting book.
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
“Today I found I’m not afraid of the unknown. Today I discovered that the unknown loved me, and that I loved it back.”

Wow! So this book turned out to be much, much better than I've ever anticipated going into it. I think it even became one of my favourite Dystopian/Sci-fi novels!
It's dark, gripping and suspenseful, all the secrets pulls you in until you have them figured out. At first, The Forgetting seems just like any other Dsytopian book, but I can assure you, it is not. It's intriguing, i
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
It has been a while since I read a YA book. I have gone off them a little bit to be honest - all the angst. However, this one sounded good and I was in the mood for something other than thrillers and sci-fi/fantasy for once. Happy to say it was a winner! I listened to the audio version.

All of the residents of Canaan live a sheltered life within the city walls, each resident learning a trade and enjoying their lives. Except for every 12 years when each person forgets everything, their lives, thei
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.6/5

“At the first sunrising of the twelfth year, they will forget. They will lose their memories, and without their memories, they are lost. Their books will be their memories, their written past selves. They will write in their books. They will keep their books. They will write the truth, and the books will tell them who they have been. If a book is lost, then so are they Lost. I am made of my memories. Without memories, they are nothing.”

I wanted to read this book since a very long time. I
Suzanne
3*-3.5*

Interesting plot that kind of made me wonder how many people would want to go through a forgetting if given the opportunity. I will read the second for book that comes out in October for sure. I haven't read Rook yet by Sharon Cameron but have it on one of my living room bookshelves so thinking it is time to move it to my end table or nightstand for reading. She seems like a very creative author.
jv poore
Imagine awaking with no knowledge of who you are. You don’t know your name, or age. None of your surroundings are familiar. The distraught children barricaded inside with you are strangers, but the look of terror covering each little face reflects how you feel. They, too, have Forgotten.

In the white-walled world of Canaan, you carry your life story with you in the most literal way: hand-written in a journal kept close (if not tethered) at all times. Every moment lived will be written down accur
Jill
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Knowing the truth makes me alone. I wrote that once, but I think I was wrong. Fear of pain is what has made me alone. But today I realized that pain and love have a balance. I can feel so much of one only because I feel so much of the other"

*4.5

AHHHHHH THIS BOOK! I honestly loved it. The only reason why it's not a full 5 because this new year I decided I'm going to be much more particular about my 5 star ratings. BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DIDN'T ADORE THIS BOOK. And what's funny is that I can't
Lauren
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, pub-scholastic
LOVED!!

Every 12 years, everyone in the city of Canaan forgets their past. To never lose their memories, they write detailed accounts of their lives in books they keep with them all the time. Without their books, their past is lost. But Nadia has never forgotten, and as her city comes up to another Forgetting, she is determined to keep her family together and avoid getting caught in the chaos that will come with the event.

I knew very little about this book when I started it and the story went i
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while a book comes out that surprises me with how fantastic it is! The Forgetting is one of those books! I love Sharon's books and knew I wanted to read this but I didn't expect it to be so damned good! This will definitely be on my top 10 favorite books list this year! I loved the world building, the romance, and the very "purge" like aspect to the book! I almost wish it weren't a stand alone! I'd love more Nadia and Gray!!!
Kristen
Edit: 9.5/10 (5/5)

So. That was fantastic. All of the stars. 10/10. (5/5)

I found out about this book through Katytastic and immediately went to my public library and snatched it up because the premise really grabbed me.

The Forgetting takes place in a dystopian town called Canaan, where once every 12 years, the Forgetting happens. At the Forgetting, everyone forgets everything about themselves. Everyone's whole memories are completely wiped. Because of this, everyone keeps their journals with th
nick
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

4.5/5

Having loved Rook by this author, I was looking forward to reading The Forgetting, especially after it garnered great reviews from close blogging friends. I’m glad that I listened to them and read The Forgetting, because it’s one of my favorite YA reads of the year. It not only had a refreshingly original storyline, but it also had a cast that I loved from the start.

I’ve read two books by Sharon Cameron now, and it’s obvious that she’s a pro at her characterizations. I love how vastly diffe
Fafa's Book Corner
DNF

Mini review:

I have read the authors standalone book Rook and was looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately this wasn't for me.

It was really brutal and very heartbreaking. It was also a little weird. Not my cup of tea.

Still recommend.
Angela Hart
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just received this novel in my Uppercase box and I am REALLY excited to read "The Forgetting."
My Unboxing Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbtM...
Keertana
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I didn't expect The Forgetting to become by favorite of Sharon Cameron's works when I picked it up. It's a complete 180 from her typical brand of historical fiction, for one, and for another, this novel is much more mature and dark from the beginning. I loved it. I haven't read a sci-fi/dystopian thriller in what seems like years, but is almost definitely a few months. Cameron's launch back into the genre, with a fresh new twist, surprised me--after all, I was quite sure we, as
Chelsea
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love love love.

This book took me completely by surprise. Starting out with a Hunger Games dystopian vibe to it, we meet Nadia who lives in a small primal town with walls surrounding it that no one is allowed to venture beyond. Of course Nadia does just this to try and find food for her family and answers about the forgetting. The forgetting is an event that occurs every 12 years in this town where all residents lose all memories. They are taught to have a book on their person at all times and to
Lauren R.
4.5 stars. Sooooo good, even after a slow start. I liked getting acclimated to their town/world. I loved the twists and turns in the second half; it totally kept me interested right when I thought I was losing interest. THE SHIP OH MY GOD. I loved Gray and Nadia so much. I can't wait to see what's coming up in the next book!!
Pili
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Forgetting is one of those books that starts a bit slow, with very few details and knowledge at first but not in frustrating way, given how forgetting and not knowing anything beyond the most recent 12 years before another Forgetting is the way people live in this world Sharon Cameron has created.

The writing was amazing and by going with Nadia's POV we both know what goes outside and inside of her head, because she's quite a silent one but there's so much going on in her head all the time! I
m a r y l i z
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel so numb right now, and I can't remember the last time a book has done that to me.

Honestly can't think of anything else to stay...I'm just sitting here in a daze.

(Review possibly coming once I collect my thoughts.)
Vathna Dany
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

This book is incredible in many ways. It gave me a reading slump, stress, anxiety, pain, happiness, excitement, thrill and curiosity all at once. It isn't the typical dystopian meets science-fiction where the main protagonists are all heroic and too selfless (*cough* Tris *cough*) you usually read. Nadia is heroic, alright? But in a way that I like. Not too much. Not too little. She isn't the usual I-will-sacrifice-myself-to-save-the-world heroine, but the type that is w
Kelsey Marie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
*****My full review can be read here.*****

The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron is a pretty easy read, in my opinion. I wasn't really sure of where it was going; the only thing I knew about the plot was that people lost their memories, except for this one girl, so I knew it would be somewhat dystopian. It also ends up having some sci-fi qualities that make it stand out from other dystopian novels that I've read in the past. When it was all said and done, I was pleased with the book.

Honestly, the endi
Vira
A smoothly written dystopia with an intriguing premise, surprising twists and a clean, satisfying ending. Enjoyed it very much.
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book. I LOVED this book! I was in a serious reading funk when I started reading The Forgetting—not a slump because I had actually read a couple of really good books, but nothing that truly excited me. Nothing that gripped me from the very beginning and made me super eager to pick up my book anytime I was forced to put it down. The Forgetting was that book for me.

What Fed My Addiction:

The concept.
I was hooked rig
bridget
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book; I had never heard of it prior to buying it but when I saw it in the store and read its summary I was intrigued. The story follows Nadia, the Dyer's daughter, who feels alone and out of place in the city of Canaan. Every twelve years, the citizens of Canaan forget everything about themselves -- except for Nadia. The rules of Canaan state that every citizen shall write in his/her own personal book, write the truth of their lives so that when they forget, they can reme ...more
  • Velocity
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • Solstice
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Disappeared
  • Burning Midnight
  • Carrier (The Line, #1)
  • Hunt for the Bamboo Rat (Prisoners of the Empire, #4)
  • Stone in the Sky (Tin Star, #2)
  • World Trigger, Vol. 2
  • State of Grace
  • Forest of Whispers (Forest of Whispers, #1)
  • The 13th Continuum (Continuum Trilogy, #1)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • I Become Shadow
  • Children of Exile (Children of Exile, #1)
  • What Goes Up
Sharon Cameron was awarded the 2009 Sue Alexander Most Promising New Work Award by the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators for her debut novel, The Dark Unwinding. When not writing Sharon can be found thumbing dusty tomes, shooting her longbow, or indulging in her lifelong search for secret passages.

The Forgetting (2 books)
  • The Knowing (The Forgetting, #2)
“The past is never really gone. It only lies in wait for you, remembered or forgotten.” 21 likes
“It's my choice today that is the memory of tomorrow. It's my choice that determines what I will become. Not the memories of the past.” 11 likes