Pili's Reviews > The Forgetting

The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron

The Forgetting is one of those books that starts a bit slow, with very few details and knowledge at first but not in frustrating way, given how forgetting and not knowing anything beyond the most recent 12 years before another Forgetting is the way people live in this world Sharon Cameron has created.

The writing was amazing and by going with Nadia's POV we both know what goes outside and inside of her head, because she's quite a silent one but there's so much going on in her head all the time! I loved how her bright self started poking out from the shell all through the book and she has a really fantastic character development!

She was so ready to fight for her family and to give them the best chance of being together and save in the next Forgetting and that plan changes and evolves as she finds out more about what's really going on on her partnetship with Gray.

Gray was also a very interesting character, one that at first is coloured by Nadia's memories and that seems to have two faces, depending on what memories Nadia focuses on. He really grew on me and I was glad that Nadia continued to keep him as an ally even when some revelations came up.

The world building was simply fantastic, starting with so little and making it grow and grow with little hints here and there and then finally more explanations and revelations, but they really did not shape the book so much as the choices the mains characters and the secondary ones had to make.

The biggest strenght of this book is not the amazing world building, the fantastic writing or the brilliant character development but the way all of it came together and shined when the hard questions were asked and how the book simply gives us so much to think on the choices made and what might have changed and which one would really be the right choice and if there's such a thing for everyone.

Science fiction with dystopian feelings, this brilliant standalone book will keep you guessing all through the pages and will leave you with plenty of food for thought for days after you've read it! 4.5 to 5 stars!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgetting.

Quotes Pili Liked

Sharon Cameron
“It's my choice today that is the memory of tomorrow. It's my choice that determines what I will become. Not the memories of the past.”
Sharon Cameron, The Forgetting
tags: nadia

Sharon Cameron
“The past is never really gone. It only lies in wait for you, remembered or forgotten.”
Sharon Cameron, The Forgetting
tags: nadia

January 29, 2016 – Shelved
January 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2016 – Started Reading
August 7, 2016 –
page 166
41.19% "This is such a compelling book and I have so many theories and I cannot wait to discover if I'm right!"
August 7, 2016 –
page 225
55.83% "HA!! I was right in my fave theory! And now I'm even more intrigued about all the details and particulars!!"
August 7, 2016 – Finished Reading