Start by marking “Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)” as Want to Read:
Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)

Destination Unknown

(Remnants #2)

When the world ended, there was the Eighty. Eighty people given the chance for survival. Given the chance to board a revamped space shuttle programmed to find them a new place to live. Somewhere to start over after an asteroid had destroyed the entire human race. Now, after a five-hundred-year "nap," the Eighty have landed---but not everyone survived the trip. And some of ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Destination Unknown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destination Unknown

Start your review of Destination Unknown (Remnants, #2)
Julie
3.5 stars! AAAAND YEP, THIS IS A BOOK THAT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES AS A TEENAGER. If I had a "body horror" shelf, this would go there, but in the meantime I've put it under "nightmare fuel" and "horror and terror". I counted off the nightmare elements of this book to a friend last night, aghast:
(view spoiler)
Caitlin
Tanja
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"It took less than a year for Billy Weir to lose his mind."

So begins the second book in the Remnants series. 500 years after the events of the first book, the Eighty have arrived. The ones that are still alive are waking up. But everything is even weirder than expected: the shuttle has landed vertically (and that shouldn't be possible), the world they ended up on is partially black and white and partially full of colors and there’s a very strange baby among the survivors.

This book is a lot
Mike
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the last book, this is a structureless glob of events. The characters have no particular goal, they're just reacting to a situation that they don't understand and an environment they have no control over. This book is better than The Mayflower Project in this regard, because it at least sets up a longer-term conflict in which the characters will have agency, and it actually feels like the events matter. But in terms of a structure that could pull a kid in, I'm just not seeing it here. ...more
Despair Speaking
There are unmarked spoilers in this review. You have been warned!!!

The ship holding the last remnants of the human race has finally reached a destination... Jobs wakes up from his long slumber weak. He falls asleep a couple of times before he could finally look around the place. He finds out that his parents are dead and only his little brother is left. He falls asleep again and is forced awake by 2Face from the first book. They go to the cockpit and reunite with Mo'Steel. They see the new
Stephanie
Let’s start this with the cover again, shall we? What you see on the cover is not exactly what happened in the book, but is once again a made-palatable sort-of version of what is inside. While The Mayflower Project could have been anyone on the cover (I think it was Jobs), I think that the girl on this cover is Miss Violet Blake, one of the Eighty who boarded the ship. Maybe that’s supposed to be solar/space radiation piercing her?

While The Mayflower Project was setting up all the characters and
Robert
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
As I said before, there is a huge change between the first book and this one. While I liked it well enough, I did lose much of my drive to read the rest of the series.

The writing is darker than Animorphs and I feel it's targeting a slightly older audience. It's also really, really weird......sort of like the late 90's and early 2000's. The characters are pretty good for the most part, but Jobs (basically the main character) is a bit too clean and shiny compared to the other characters who all
Issam
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Holy crap, that first chapter! I barely remember these books, but it's incredibly gruesome, and I'm surprised it's labeled as a middle-grade series for 9-12 year olds. I can see inspirations from Stephen King here, and some of the preliminary concepts behind the "Gone" series (written years later by co-author Michael Grant).

Totally hooked on where this goes next.
Dee
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Rounded down from 3.5.

Very slow; it feels like the sort of thing that could have been dealt with in half the page count or less, and like it should have been part of a larger book.

Credit, though, for having some of the most horrifying imagery I've ever read.
Emily
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the first books I remember being severely disturbed by. This might have been as far as I got in the series...
Thistle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
These books are surprisingly short. I keep reaching the end of them way before I expect to. It takes me about four hours to read an average YA book, but these take me about two hours at my normal reading speed.

The book picks up right where the first book ended, but I can't talk about the plot at all without it being spoilery, so I'm going to put it behind the cut. If you intend to read this series, which I recommend you do, don't keep reading:

To review book one: the Earth was destroyed, 80
Julie Decker
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The human crew of the Mayflower awakens and finds that hundreds of years have passed--far more than the intended amount of cryogenic sleep they were supposed to endure. In their previous adventure escaping from an asteroid-smashed Earth, they locked eighty people into sleep pods, but a scuffle at the end meant not everyone made it alive (and some who weren't meant to be preserved got preserved, like Tamara). Many of the crew had perished due to radiation and weird worm-shaped holes through ...more
N.T. Embe
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi, Dystopian, Thriller, Suspense lovers and more.
Recommended to N.T. by: My sister, Michelle

I. Need. The. Next. Book. Right. Now.

I just finished this one and I'm like HNNNNG GIVE ME MOOOOORE! *Claws at empty space, wishing the book would appear* I think I'm suffering from withdrawal! DX How am I going to survive the wait until I can go back to the library and check out the rest of the series!!! ARGH. I need to read more! There's so much crazy stuff going on here! I have to read the rest! THINGS ARE CONSTANTLY INTERESTING AND CRAZY AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON BUT IT'S ALL SO GOOD
Sachairi
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
So I liked the first book enough to see what was going to happen to the characters next.

(view spoiler)
Wendy
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
In this second book of the Remnant series the survivors of the destruction of Earth wake up from what they discover is a 500 year hibernation only to discover that while the new hibernation technology worked for some, others were not so lucky. Out of the 80 survivors less than 1/3 of them wake up from their long journey to discover that the world they have landed on, while able to support human life, is not very friendly towards it.

Jobs and his younger brother wake up to find that both of their
Catherine
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Directly continuing on from the first book, Destination Unknown is about what happened when the survivors wake up from their hypersleep. If you don’t want any spoilers, stop reading this review right now. You already know that they survive long enough to wake up again.

[***SPOILERS***]

When people start waking up, some 500 years after they left Earth to her destruction, not everything went as smoothly as they had hoped. Only a fraction of the eighty passengers survived, most having died in
Trihaly
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to say I can see why people are disappointed by this series. I supposed I had high expectations before I even stated reading it and that didn't help. I have a few issues with this book that are preventing me from liking it as much as the first one. The story is being narrated in third person from the point of view of some of the characters. The problem is it is kind of confusing to keep track of who's narrative we are following. Unlike in the Animorphs where it was clearly indicated who ...more
Shell Hunt
Katherine Applegate destroys my childhood with Animorphs, my teenage years with Everworld and now my adult life with Remnants.
In Destination Unknown, you have the same crew members from the previous book. They have landed somewhere on a planet that's a little different, some didn't make it at all, some of the people sort of made it and then there are a very select few that are fully aware and functioning human beings. Through this book they learn where/when they are and create a mini-society to
Z
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Most of my memories of the Remnants series are that it was completely weird, but I'm giving it another chance. So far, it's turning out all right, though this one upped the bizarre factor significantly from the first book. It still all makes sense, though. The humans are experiencing a completely alien world, so it makes sense that the reader wouldn't understand what's going on, either. KA still demonstrates that she has a way with showing what makes characters tick, and she's brought together a ...more
Jailynn
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this because I read the first book in the series and I had to see what happened next, what happened next was very bizarre and creepy. I don't even know why I read the first one in the first place. I don't know if I'll read any more of them I didn't know that there were so many in the series either, (like 14 or something)I might just skip to the last one so I can feel some closure with the story. These are a little too creepy for my taste but still very interesting, it didn't continue at ...more
Ellie
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, ya, horror, mg
Someone gets eaten alive from the inside by parasitic worms within the first few chapters of this book. I still do not understand how this can be a middle-grade series.

Body horror aside, this is a strong continuation of the Remnants series. The characters and premise are further developed here and I would strongly recommend to anyone interested that they read not just the first book, but this one as well, before deciding if they want to finish the series. The mystery set up here left me utterly
Paul Emily Ryan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review written: sometime before August 21, 2015

Destination Unknown by Katherine Applegate

Why I read it: Continuing with the Remnants series.

Rating: 4/5

What I thought: So this is where things get weird I guess. In any case, I liked this one a fair bit, if only because it was fairly weird, and characters got to open themselves up slightly. The ending was just a jumble to me, sorry.
Chris
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
As the Remnants awake, not without some difficulty, they begin to discover the harsh realities of experimental hibernation equipment and exposure to radiation. Over half of their number have died in transit - the majority of the adults included - and some of those remaining aren't exactly normal. The story takes on a grimmer tone (not an easy task after blowing up the Earth in the first book) and certainly a creepier one, but it's a good creepy, which makes you want to read more.
Ami
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I started the series again after many many many years, but it is too strange, inconsistent, and boring for me to continue. I dislike the characters, as they are rather boring and flat. So I am not motivated to complete. It would have been awesome if I could have read this whole series back when I was in grade school.
Krystl Louwagie
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a lot new to say on this one than the first book in the series I just reviewed. These are surprisingly good and creepy, creative, and good at keeping my interest. I might have enjoyed the first one just a little bit more because I felt like it had a more tradtional story arc, and easier visuals (since now we're dealing with aliens and a new planet, it is a little harder to picture).
Rachelle H
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I gave it a three star because it mad me a little confused when i was reading it the begging wasnt as stong and didnt make sense. The middle got better that is why i gave it an extra star for the middle part of it and the endding was good too. Thsi was an ok book because the begging was as great as i hoped it would be.
Matt Mazenauer
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans, YA fans, Garth Nix fans
Recommended to Matt by: Remnants #1
Continuing the series, this is a surprisingly brutal book for K.A. Applegate. It is dark and has enough elements fo horror that it reminds me more of Garth Nix than the lady that wrote Animorphs - which is a great thing. Just hard to think of it as a Scholastic mass market book.
Jackie Krasuski
The idea behind these books really got my attention because it is life after the end of the world, however after the Animorphs series and Everworld this was quite a letdown. Besides that, the whole end of the world thing is becoming a real redundant theme lately.
Farid L.
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was the best alien-mysterious-from-other-planet book ive read . It was good and mysterious every time i changed the chapter. I liked it and it was cool how other aliens existed and the economy was awesome, it was like survival.
Emily
It's been a while since I read the first one. This one was confusing, but also fascinating in a lot of ways. It reminds me in some ways of the dystopian books I've read lately--specifically Unwind--in terms of characters. Looking forward to reading the next one.

• Animorphs (Animorphs, #1-54)
  • The Initiation / The Captive Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • The Awakening / The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • The Captive Part II / The Power (The Secret Circle, #2-3)
  • Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Laurie
  • Tarinoita Muumilaaksosta
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Keeping the Moon
  • Who Will Comfort Toffle?
  • Shalimar the Clown
  • Pale Fire
  • Puputyttö
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Remnants (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Mayflower Project (Remnants, #1)
  • Them (Remnants, #3)
  • Nowhere Land (Remnants, #4)
  • Mutation (Remnants, #5)
  • Breakdown (Remnants, #6)
  • Isolation (Remnants, #7)
  • Mother, May I? (Remnants, #8)
  • No Place Like Home (Remnants, #9)
  • Lost and Found (Remnants, #10)
  • Dream Storm (Remnants, #11)