Start by marking “Fear the Fantastic (Everworld, #6)” as Want to Read:
Fear the Fantastic (Everworld, #6)

Fear the Fantastic

(Everworld #6)

There is a place that shouldn’t exist. But does. And there are creatures that shouldn’t exist. But do. Welcome to a land where all of your dreams and nightmares are very real—and often deadly. Welcome to Everworld.

No one knows what it’s like to be Christopher, David, April, Jalil, or even Senna. Living part of their lives in Everworld and the other in the real world. One
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published September 15th 2000 by Scholastic (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Fantastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear the Fantastic

Start your review of Fear the Fantastic (Everworld, #6)
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Christopher and the gang are sent off on their second ever quest: to deliver Dionysus, god of a good time, and his companion Ganymede, a man so beautiful he makes straight guys question himself, to Zeus on Olympus. Only problem is to get to Olympus they have to pass through Ka Anor, the go eater’s territory.

It took me several weeks to read this book. I fell terribly sick and all I wanted to do was sleep, so if I wanted to get to sleep I’d read a fee pages of this and soon I’d be snoring. It was
Erin
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Jalil is the most sympathetic member of this group, then Christopher is probably the most despicable. He not only displays every kind of bigotry imaginable, he seems to be categorically incapable of keeping it to himself, which given that he's stuck in a dangerous world that doesn't give two shits about his survival and the only other people he can rely on consist of a black man, a Jew, and a woman, doesn't say much for his sense of self-preservation:

"Damn it, Christopher, can you just cut
Amanda Orlich Ahern
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
So far for me, this has been the weakest book in the series. I still read it very quickly, but it wasn't as exciting. Yes, there was immense danger at every corner, but the majority of the book involved running from the Hetwan. Run run run, almost die, run run run, meet a Greek god, run run run.

This story is told from Christopher's point of view. Christopher is one of my favorite characters; he's witty, extremely cynical and very jaded. So hearing his thoughts is always entertaining.

I won't
Trisha
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Fear the Fantastic follows Discover the Destroyer, and more than any other installment I've read, it reminded me that this series is best read as one long book. While Dionysus appears for the first time and the four travelers get to have a bit of a fight from time to time, this book is primarily a transition book. We are simply moving from one place to the next. At the end of DtD, they have just entered the lands of Ka Anor, and FtF merely gets them to the center of the city. Now I have to wait ...more
Katelynn
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have feelings. I hate books.
Stephanie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Everworld kids find themselves in Hetwan country, where trees sing and giant ants will plow right over you as they harvest huge swaths of trees. Oh, then there’s running into Dionysus’ party on the way through Hetwan country to reach Mount Olympus on the far side. Welcome to Everworld, indeed!

What the last book did for revealing more about David, this book does the same for revealing more about Christopher. Except with Christopher, we are getting all current-day issues that he is going
Julie
3.5 stars again! 3 stars for the pacing/plot (once again, it's quite a bit of moving from A to B and trying to stay alive along the way, across various fun and fantastical settings); 4 stars for characterisation.

Sometimes I wonder just how unlikeable KAA set out to make Christopher, considering him using the slur f*g was a new low -- but I think that was the point, and worth it considering the character development he undergoes later, specifically (view spoiler)
Arlenne
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not super fan of the trope of slightly racist person meets a full fledged racist to show how this character could be way worse but still enjoyed this book (most likely thanks to Ganymedes than anything else). It would be nice this book to be the beggining of Christopher's character growth.
Heather Mayle
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Uli Kunkel
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
One-liner: Read it. 4.5 stars
Kinsey
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
thanks for all the unresolved homophobia ...more
Valia
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably my least favourite book in the series. Confused more than ever and it was a drag to read.
David Thomas
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. The constant pop culture references are dated, since it was published in 2000, but I can forgive that.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Apr 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
I suspect this is intended as a, "What not to do," But the antisemitism, racism, sexism, and just plain nastiness was more than I was up for.
Alex of Yoe
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
This book took us away from familiar myths and into one Applegate created. Very interesting descriptions and plot points! Christopher stays pretty much the same throughout, but gets some drastic development at the end that is actually rather emotional, but good to see in him. Otherwise this book just serves to move us from one area to the next. It's good, but doesn't have as many big moments as the others.
Bex Montgomery
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
I picked up this one from the used bookshelf because I hadn't read any in the series and I'm trying to take a look at as much teen/ya fic as possible right now. I flipped through it and thought the sarcastic, quick witted writing style was fabulous and brought it home.

Granted, there are 5 books in the series before this one and I'm literally jumping in the middle but this was a hard one for me to finish.

The whole experience felt like this: Make some snarky, wise-assed comments, run from the
Matt
Ehhh... I'm a bit conflicted about Christopher.

He acts and makes jokes that are in turn racist, sexist, homophobic and--from the narrative, although I have to say I didn't spot them--antisemitic. He complains about everything all the time, doesn't want to pull his part of the weight and is generally a pain most of the time but.
Despite all this, it's impossible to write him off as a complete jerk. I mean don't gen me wrong, his narration (now much, much more representative of his personality than
Brittney Rz.
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book I don't remember much from my first few readings of it. I remember the fact they go through Ka Anor's place but that was about it and I can see why it didn't stick with me as much. Not too much happened in this book, it was more a set up for what is coming up and for Christopher's character beginning to change.

I remember from my first reading that Christopher is a character that goes through some serious change throughout the stories. I remember him having the biggest
Amy Laurens
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Applegate also authored the Animorph series, which I quite enjoyed in highschool, and this has a similar flavour: lots of action, snarky first person MC, shiny, shiny world building, and a few clever plot ideas.

This book picks up midway through the series, and while I hadn't read any of the previous ones, it was easy enough to figure out what was going on. MC Chris and friends are stuck in Everworld, the world where the gods are real, and creatures from fairytales can be friends - or nightmares.
Julie Decker
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Having finally made it to Ka Anor's territory (after heading that way and getting intercepted regularly), Christopher, Jalil, April, and David are trapped in a forest by the disciples of Ka Anor: the Hetwan. And two gods of Everworld--Ganymede and Dionysus--are also trapped there as condemned deities waiting to be consumed. The kids must join these gods to escape to Olympus. Christopher, due to his own misgivings about homosexuality, is disturbed by his depth of dedication to Ganymede--though it ...more
Melissa Bennett
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book finds the quartet leaving Fairie land and walking straight into Ka Anor's territory. There they find the Greek god Dionysis and the very handsome and immortal Ganymeade as prisoners of the Hetwan. Both are on the menu for Ka Anor.They are able to help them escape and try to flee to Olympus where Dionysis claims he can make them all immortal. But to get to Olympus, it means travel right through Ka Anor's hive. In this book we finally get to meet this Ka Anor and Christopher goes through ...more
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
A truly brilliant take on mythology. For anyone who has ever been a fan of the religions of yore you'll be enthralled with Applegate's world of aliens and gods. My favorite series when it first came out and still one of my favorite series. The beginning of the first book is a bit difficult to get into, but once you get past that it is simply phenomenal. Applegate creates an entire world within Everworld while drawing enough from our own world so as not to entirely alienate or confuse the ...more
Stevie
Nov 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Greg Kerestan
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Here at last the plot truly starts to thicken, as Olympus is slowly subsumed by the Hetwan world of Ka Anor and the radical militia plotline in the Old World first emerges. Christopher's everything-is-a-joke demeanor grows to its most loathsome here, as he drops more racial and homophobic slurs than usual, but in this case, it's a sign of growth: he's fighting against his newfound empathy (and brief magic-inspired attraction to Ganymede) with everything he's got.
Adam Smith
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book takes place as the group wanders through Hetwan country. The main character's slow deterioration as stresses in both universes wear on him makes it feel like very little progress was made in this volume.

Wandering into Hetwan country, Christopher and the gang have no choice but to keep moving forward and hope for the best. After freeing a pair of captured Greek gods, the group must travel through Ka-Anor's city itself if they hope to make it to safety.
Mary
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was okay. The plot is interesting, the world building pretty good, but the lack of character development kinda kills the whole thing. It's a series and they're supposed to grow, but not once in this entire book did we get one description of the characters other than references that one character is black. What color hair does anyone have? Are the rest of them all white? Are they short, tall, thin, curvy, pimply, freckled?? So I only gave it three stars.
Paul Emily Ryan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Review written: sometime before June 27, 2015

Fear the Fantastic by Katherine Applegate

Why I read it: For even more unorthodox KAA reading funtimes, of course!

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: 3 might be a bit low, because I recall quite liking this! It’s got some neat concepts and interesting new characters, so I think it must have just been (some of) the main characters being douchebags.
Dana
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Kind of an interesting one. I found myself thinking that the characters were pretty shallow through the first half of the book and was pleased to find that the shallowness was actually addressed. While Everworld isn't the greatest series in the world, the characters are developing and that is always nice to see, especially in such short novels.

Again, I will keep reading.
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Oh, joy! In Everworld, Christopher's dealing with giant bugs, a drunk god, and a fabulously beautiful gay immortal guy. In the real world, he's trying to figure out how the hell he ended up working at a copy shop controlled by a bunch of bigots. I found touching his guilt over his unfulfilled pact with Ganymede, though. Waaah.
Jody
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Everworld series, while fairly basic and elementary, offers such excitement that any Fantasy lover would be hard-pressed not to be drawn into its few pages. This series tells the tale of several teenagers from Earth traveling to a different plane where gods, goddesses, and legends from all of Earth's mythologies are real. Highly recommended read.

• The Captive Part II / The Power (The Secret Circle, #2-3)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • The Initiation / The Captive Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is In Love with a Pedophile: 6 Patient Files From Prison (Dr. Harper Therapy Book 2)
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is Going to be the Next School Shooter: 6 Patient Files That Will Keep You Up At Night
  • Will Destroy the Galaxy for Cash (Jacques McKeown, #2)
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • Youth
  • The Ugly Little Boy
  • The Bro Code
  • The Playbook: Suit up. Score chicks. Be awesome.
  • The Hounds of the Mórrígan
  • The Gospel According to Luke
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Essays of E.B. White
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Everworld (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • Land of Loss (Everworld, #2)
  • Enter the Enchanted (Everworld, #3)
  • Realm of the Reaper (Everworld, #4)
  • Discover the Destroyer (Everworld, #5)
  • Gateway to the Gods (Everworld, #7)
  • Brave the Betrayal (Everworld, #8)
  • Inside the Illusion (Everworld, #9)
  • Understand the Unknown (Everworld, #10)
  • Mystify the Magician (Everworld, #11)