Start by marking “Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The words of Karl Pilkington” as Want to Read:
Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The words of Karl Pilkington

Happyslapped by a Jellyfish: The words of Karl Pilkington

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  2,978 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
A hilarious guide to travelling, from the man behind The World of Karl Pilkington - one of our most innovative thinkers, visionaries and prophets, or as Ricky Gervais knows him, 'the funniest man alive in Britain today'. Pack your suitcase and take an irreverent trip with the unlikely star of "The Ricky Gervais Podcast Show", Karl Pilkington, to the furthest corners of Eur ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Dorling Kindersley (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Happyslapped by a Jellyfish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happyslapped by a Jellyfish

Mike Steven
For me, the genius of Karl in the podcasts is that he was unaware that he is such a hilarious man. Steve and Ricky set him going - and then we laughed along with them at his ridiculous, outlandish statements.

In this book, Karl is aware that he is an amusing man but he is trying to recreate his spontaneous, natural statements in a concious way. Originally the humour resided in the fact that he was unaware how funny his opinions are - now he's aware of it and is deliberately doing it, some of the
Sun Brockie
Sep 08, 2009 Sun Brockie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if it's because I'm a big fan of the Ricky Gervais XFM broadcasts and his famed podcasts (as Karl is nearly the main feature in them all) but this book was hilarious! Nearly every chapter made me *laugh out loud* in the literal sense. Definitely the polar opposite of an intellectual read, but worth it for the hilarity. None of the stories are fiction either - at least to Karl they aren't. Would have taken me less than a day to get thru the book if I had a day to waste. Definitely a good ...more
Kirsty
Apr 21, 2017 Kirsty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: april-2017
I bought this with my boyfriend in mind, but ended up reading it myself before I'd even given it to him. I was surprised that I was so little amused by the book. I find Pilkington very funny indeed, but as a lot of these stories have been recounted in the podcasts which I've listened to, there wasn't anything which felt overly fresh about it. A tiny bit disappointing.
Sam Still Reading
Feb 02, 2013 Sam Still Reading rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karl fans
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: I am a Karl fan
I, like a lot of people, know Karl Pilkington as the reluctant traveller from the television programme An Idiot Abroad. When I saw this online at a very good price, I simply had to pick it up. I love Karl’s one liners and the way he summarises what everyone is thinking brilliantly. This book is a collection of diary entries and summaries from trips Karl has done with his family, mates and school chums. There’s also cartoons and comic strips drawn by Karl and a few attempts at poetry, but it’s th ...more
Larry
Jan 29, 2010 Larry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not something I'd read usually but my wife got it from the library so it was lying around. It was o.k. for bathroom reading but, having listened to Karl and Ricky Gervais on the podcast, I could always here Karl's voice in my head and Ricky's hysterical laugh!
If nothing else, this book settled the question for me of whether Karl is a comedy genius or just an idiot...
Amy Watt
Sep 23, 2012 Amy Watt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is gonna be a quick review as I have 3 logs and 2 assessments this week.

This book is typical Karl Pilkington - nothing ever impresses him and misfortune seems to follow him.

The book is written like a diary in some parts and in others it's more flashback sort of things of every holiday he's had.

I didn't like it as much as An Idiot Abroad - this is going to sound mean but I preferred it when he went to places that he didn't want to go to - not on holidays he's booked himself. I liked how Step
Mia
Jan 08, 2014 Mia rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
2.5 I probably should have stopped reading Karl Pilkington's books, except I bought them in bulk before I read any, with my only experiences being the XFM radio show and podcasts with Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant. The shows/podcasts are, in my opinion, significantly better, though perhaps if you haven't listened to them, you might enjoy the books more. Most of the best insight/anecdotes I had already heard from the podcast.

My two favourite things about this book were the captioned photos, a
Anna Kļaviņa
People keep going on about global warming, asking us to turn the heating down cos the ice is melting and polar bears are drowning, but no one cares. They should tell everyone that angry spiders from Australia are moving over here cos of the heat, and then we'd soon turn off one of the bars on the fire.

I like Karl Pilkington, it is hard not to like him.

The book contains Karl's tales on his holiday experiences and his musing on life. With pictures and Karl's illustrations.

Fun and quick read.
Maureen
I bought this book because I loved Karl in The tv series Idiot Abroad. There's nothing funnier than seeing him as the reluctant traveller , having to do Ricky Gervais's bidding. He's funny in that,because he doesn't have time to think about where he's going, what he's going to do,unlike the book, where he even manages to do things he's actually interested in! I much prefer the tv series with Karl at his best being completely miserable, and hilariously funny.
Abeille
May 30, 2012 Abeille rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because the title is made of win, but the book itself was a disappointment and I gave up about 2/3 of the way through it. Dull anecdotes trying hard to be clever, and missing the mark. Perhaps this comedian shines in live shows, but I found his stories completely lackluster in print.
Reenie
Sep 13, 2010 Reenie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Sigh... this was occasionally somewhat amusing, in a mild snickery kind of way, but I feel like the genre of grumpy 30-something balding British guy going on fairly crappy holidays is already a bit tired, and there wasn't anything really crazy in this one.
Gerard Mcghee
Feb 16, 2008 Gerard Mcghee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Karl Pilkington, but this was disappointing. I realy wanted this book to make me laugh as hard as the 1st book did, perhaps some of the higher ratings here are a little guilty of hero worshipping.

Nice illustrations though.
Avdrdr
Sep 19, 2012 Avdrdr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Karl is a hilarious guy but somehow his humour doesn't translate well through text, I think it's best when his naivety is questioned by Ricky and Steve and he is then forced to explain his reasoning.

I enjoyed the read as it was entertaining but only gave it 2 stars.
Librarian
Aug 27, 2012 Librarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caty
This book is taking me forever to get through because I can barely see the words through my tears (from laughter). Ok, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but this is one seriously funny book.
Athena Macmillan
An okay book. The author continues on from his first book "An Idiot Abroad", and while it has some funny parts and is reasonably entertaining, it wasn't quite on par with it's predecessor.
Matt Perry
Jun 15, 2015 Matt Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karl Pilkington. 'Nuff said.
Samantha Freeman
Good but not his best. When you start reading his books you see some repetitions.
Gabrielle
The amount of joy Karl's words of wisdom bring to me when my mood is black and I feel hopeless is worth an unlimited amount of stars. I know I will smile if I pick up one of his books...and means a lot to me.

While I wish the book was a bit longer, and I wish the travelogues of each place he visits were more organized (the book is verrry disjointed in a stream-of-consciousness way that doesn't really suit travel books), overall, it's a bright ray of gleefully pessimistic hilarity.
Dieter Cauwenberge
Simple fun read , is over before it gets tedious
Emma Brock
Jan 19, 2017 Emma Brock rated it liked it
good but not as good as some of his others
Jo
Mar 17, 2017 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
his is the travel book for people who don’t particularly like travelling, it’s Karl Pilkington, star of The Ricky Gervais Podcast Show, with a suitcase, occasionally with his passport, more often with a bemused suspicion of anything vaguely exotic, and an observant eye for the disappointments, tedium, general weirdness and absurdities of being a tourist abroad and at home. From staring at Mount Vesuvius in case it erupts and the horrors of a Lanzarote nudist beach to the curiosities to be seen i ...more
Ellyne
Mar 16, 2017 Ellyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
there are no words. Karl is both an idiot and a genius all at once. his perspective on the world is astoundingly unique and wildly entertaining. definitely recommend anything involving him, and this is a great casual read. if you're not from the UK, better brush up on your British slang before you read this!
Patrick Ellard
Mar 14, 2017 Patrick Ellard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book about the travels of Karl Pilkington full of his unique humour and plenty of short stories and anecdotes. All Pilkington fans will enjoy this. The only downside is the length of the Book, it's quite short and will leave you wanting more.
Rizwan
Aug 07, 2014 Rizwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is even better than the podcasts! Only because it is pure unadulterated Karl with no interruptions from Ricky Gervais or Stephen Merchant. Thus Karl is allowed to expand on his nonsensical otherworldly theories in great details or the unintentional lack of it. This book covers mostly his travels with his mates, Suzanne or his parents in the form of diary entries or notes about his past adventures.

And its not just places he has traveled to. He offers a whole chapter on why he won't travel to
Isabel Tsang
Apr 15, 2014 Isabel Tsang rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I'm a little lost as to how I should rate this. No, I didn't think it was a masterpiece and probably never will, as it's hard to imagine a book using words/language such as "cos," "me mam," and "nob..." being a masterpiece.

The Karl Pilkingtonness just drips off this book (for obvious reasons as he is the one who put it together), and I have to say that is also where I enjoyed this book most. I hardly ever laugh while reading, but this book had me laughing out loud actually quite a few times. No
Kb
Dec 30, 2015 Kb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever gone on a luxury holiday (or vacation, if you are American), the best you could afford, and looked around while you were there and wondered who stays in those older, family-run hotels and motels? It's people like Karl Pilkington and his family and friends, people with an unlikely wanderlust, who just presume that travel necessitates hardship, and face things like blocked toilets, cockroaches, and the weirdness of fellow travelers with equanimity. People who accept that local bus to ...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
While this might be Karl Pilkington’s second book, you could really argue that it is his first actual book, as the first was mainly transcripts from the podcasts. This time around it is all original material.

The main theme of the book is Karl recounting his holidays in no chronological order. It’s all over the place, Karl might be talking about a holiday, and something he writes reminds him of a different subject and he rambles on in a different subject. Fans of Karl won’t mind, as he was exactl
Nial
Feb 09, 2017 Nial rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A very funny book by the genius Karl Pilkington!!
Alexis
Aug 13, 2015 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A night doesn't go by without them showing a programme called The Boy with an Arse Like a Chimp or The Girl with Arms for Legs, so there's no need to see a live freak show."

On a school field trip: "All we saw there as a five-a-side netball game played by women with tattoos, two of which were shouting "fuck off you shits" at us as we walked around the perimeter fence. Our teacher Mrs. Turner pretended it wasn't happening. I still don't know why they took us there."

On accidentally going to a nude
Jo Everett
Jul 16, 2015 Jo Everett rated it really liked it
Karl Pilkington's 'Happyslapped by a Jellyfish' is like no other travel guide. Why? Because Karl hates going on holiday. But that doesn't mean it's a flop. In fact, this book should come with a warning: Don't read in public as others may think you are a mad person. This book had me laughing and smiling from cover to cover. It's an entertaining romp from a professional Northern moaner. If you are a fan of Karl like me this is more of what you love, but even if you've never heard of him and what s ...more
  • The Ricky Gervais Show - First, Second and Third Seasons
  • More Awkward Situations for Men
  • Pardon My French: Unleash Your Inner Gaul
  • The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology
  • Granta 124: Travel
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • Inheriting the Trade: A Northern Family Confronts Its Legacy as the Largest Slave-Trading Dynasty in U.S. History
  • Full Hearts and Empty Bellies
  • A Castle in the Backyard: The Dream of a House in France
  • Midwife on Call: Tales of Tiny Miracles
Karl Pilkington is a Sony Award-winning English radio producer, poet, podcaster, raconteur and author, best known for producing and co-presenting The Ricky Gervais Show on London radio station Xfm from 2001 to 2005 and later in the form of podcasts and a television show on HBO. In October 2006, Pilkington's first book The World of Karl Pilkington was published, featuring original ideas and drawing ...more
More about Karl Pilkington...

“it annoys me a bit how people like squirrels but not rats. at the end of the day they're the same thing, except that squirrels have had a better upbringing.” 9 likes
“I don't like jellyfish, they’re not a fish, they're just a blob.
They don’t have eyes, fins or scales like a cod.
They float about blind, stinging people in the seas,
And no one eats jellyfish with chips and mushy peas.
Get rid of 'em!”