Start by marking “Never Never” as Want to Read:
Never Never

Never Never

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  1,075 Ratings  ·  319 Reviews
James Hook is a child who only wants to grow up. When he meets Peter Pan, a boy who loves to pretend and is intent on never becoming a man, James decides he could try being a child - at least briefly. James joins Peter Pan on a holiday to Neverland, a place of adventure created by children's dreams, but Neverland is not for the faint of heart. Soon James finds himself long ...more
Published September 22nd 2015 by Spencer Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about Never Never, please sign up.
Aliyah The rating would mostly depend on the director. It would be rated pg13, because their was some inappropriate scenes, but nothing so inappropriate that…moreThe rating would mostly depend on the director. It would be rated pg13, because their was some inappropriate scenes, but nothing so inappropriate that it should be rated R. But it also depends on how gruesome the director decided to make the fight scenes.(less)
Houston Yes. There are multiple parts in the book where two specific characters are having sex. I will not tell who, for this may spoil.

Wendy Darling
I liked this for the most part, though I didn't quite love it. It starts off feeling very middle grade, and then has moments of upper YA-ness, which is a bit disconcerting.

Still, reimagining Peter as beast isn't hard (it's very popular to pick on him these days!), and obviously every "villain" is the hero of his own story. This is an interesting take on Hook for sure.

Wendy isn't in this book very much, but she comes across much better than she does in TIGER LILY. Points just for that, heh.

A bit
Anne
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Lost Boys

Boy, this was just kinda bleak and depressing.
I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this. I guess I was hoping for something different? To be honest, Peter Pan & his Co. are nowhere near my favorite characters. Even as a child, I thought he was obnoxious and stupid, and the Disney movie just depressed me. What was wrong with those people? Why the Hell did Wendy act like such an adult? Why wouldn't her parents let her stay with her brothers in the nursery? God! T
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/09/20/y...

Never Never confirms what I’ve always suspected – that Peter Pan is a twisted and evil little psycho! Even as a little kid watching the Disney movie, I always felt something was off about him. Seriously, why does everyone love Peter Pan? He’s kind of a dick.

Actually, now that I think about it, it’s a wonder how I haven’t come across a book like this sooner. I’ve always had a penchant for interesting and imaginative retelli
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
What if you were a boy named James? What if you came upon Peter Pan in the magic of Kensington Gardens at night? What if Peter offered to take you somewhere amazing and promised that you could return whenever you wanted?
to Neverland

What if you got to Neverland and found it less than enchanting?
What if Peter was narcissistic,

unpredictable,
get over here
and violent?

real fun

What if Peter never kept his promise to bring you home?
no one leaves
no escape

You know, I never did trust that creepy-ass kid.

James initially plays along to keep himself safe, but
Emily May
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. I didn't hate this, but with so many other retellings around these days, I wouldn't rush out to recommend it either. It simply doesn't stand out in a genre that is getting more and more overcrowded by the second.

Peter Pan has inspired some of my favorites from the retelling genre - Tiger Lily and The Child Thief - but this one left me feeling empty. I never connected with the characters. Never felt any depth was given as to why Hook really wants to grow up (more so than every other
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Full video review

Never Never is a prequel/retelling of Peter Pan from Hook's point of view. It shows us the story of how Hook came to Neverland and became Peter Pan's greatest villain.
I love Pirates and I have always been a big fan of Hook especially, so I was very excited to pick this book up. And it delivered!
The book goes through various states of Hook's life and starts of middle-gradeish but in the course of the novel almost crosses the line to New Adult. So I'd definitely recommend this
Rachel Patrick
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think you're going to want to read this.

Review to come. First, let me simmer in my book hangover and lack of sleep.

**********

This review (and others) can be seen in all its properly formatted glory on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf.

First and foremost, a very big thank you to the super nice Andi at Andi's ABCs for letting me borrow her ARC of Never Never!

Peter Pan retellings, at least the ones I've read, tend to be twisty little creatures. I still haven't read the original tale (for shame), b
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
***2.5/5 Stars***
Never Never was an imaginative take on how Captain Hook came to be.  But before starting, know that this definitely isn't the story that we all grew up knowing.  While there are some similarities, the differences are stark and bold!  Shockingly, I came to loathe Peter Pan and to understand Captains Hook's need for revenge.  I desperately wanted him to fulfill that need for revenge!  But as the story unfolded, there were parts that I struggled wrapping my head around.  Parts wher
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
“The deepest circle of Hell is kept for Brutus, Judas, and Peter Pan.”

3 stars. This is going to be a strange, nonsensical review...

1st 30% was not so good. It was boring and very middle grade and not what I was expecting from the summary.

30-75% was insanely good. I loved James and Tiger Lily's chemistry.

She grinned. “I suppose I shall have to sneak aboard your ship in the night and kill you. There’s no other way.” James stared at her. “Well, then, I shall be waiting for you.”

Beautiful writing,
Erin Dunn
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5

Thank you to NetGalley and Spencer Hill Press for allowing me to read and review an ebook copy of Never Never by Brianna Shrum.

Never Never is a retelling of Peter Pan, except it's not really about Peter. It's about James Hook when he is a child and he WANTS to grow up. When he meets Peter Pan he agrees to go on holiday to Neverland with him. Peter promises him that he will take him back to London. However, once Hook is ready to go home, Peter refuses to take him back. Thus begins the tale o
Olivia (The Candid Cover)

Looking for the ultimate pirate book this season? Never Never is an action-packed prequel to the classic tale, Peter Pan. This unique adventure story includes a fast-paced plot, a beautiful setting, and a likeable side character.

Never Never is an intriguing novel that feels like a prequel of sorts to the classic story of Peter Pan. The book begins with Captain Hook as a child and follows him as he grows up. There is so much action and many epic battles between Pan and Hook that keep the reader f
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had been anticipating this read like crazy ever since I had first heard about it. I have been on a retelling high for a long time now, and I honestly cannot see myself coming down from it. As well as that, one of my older sisters loves the story of Peter Pan a lot which perked up my interest of it as well.

What I loved about this book so much was how we were able to see the complete journey of Hook. The book starts in his childhood when he is living at home (and at this point I feared it would
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 out of 5

Never Never is a Peter Pan retelling, and like all retellings I have to read them! Whether they're good, bad, or not even remotely close to the original story I have to see how a certain story is played out. This retelling is told from the perspective of Captain James Hook, from the age of 12 to adulthood. Is he really the bad guy, or is Peter Pan the more evil of the two?

Well, it turns out I have a love/hate relationship with this book. In this retelling Peter Pan is
Crysta DenOuden
Apr 13, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-releases
Finally... Finally a book that's going to tell us about Hook... And not the Once Upon a Time version.... I swear to God if this is just a worded version of Hook's story from OUAT I'm going to kill someone..
Tikaa
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book, because come on, that synopsis is intriguing as hell. However, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. I couldn't connect with the characters, and while I liked some the scenes, (mainly those in which James and Peter were fighting), the writing was just too . . . MEH for me. The story dragged in many places, and from the jump I found it hard to actually care about what was going on. * sigh *. This obviously wasn't the story for me. Curse you Captain Ho ...more
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

SUMMARY

A prequel and retelling of JM Barrie’s classic children’s novel Peter Pan and Wendy from the primary antagonist’s point of view, Never Never follows Hook as he is taken from London by a marvelous, clever, flying part-fairy ageless boy and shows in detail how James turned from being a
Pili
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it... I knew the ending would destroy me. Brianna did a wonderful job of giving a new life to both Peter Pan and James Hook and gave a villain a story worth of being his own hero. *goes to stuff herself silly with cookies now*

This book had been in my wish list as one of the debuts to keep in mind, and after my very talented friend Sarah made her book trailer SEE HERE and then I got super excited and requested it from NG as soon as I saw it there! Thank you so much to Spencer Hill Press fo
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered or influenced my opinion.

I love retellings. And I have never read a retelling of Peter Pan. And I can recall seeing this show on broadway with my mother when Sandy Duncan played Peter Pan. I remember her flying out over the audience and it being one of the greatest things I had ever seen in my young life. So given the chance to read th
Penelope
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I don't understand how everything on this cursed island revolves around the presence of that boy. And I don't understand how anyone can look in his smirking, arrogant face and not wish to smash it."

So so so amazing. I don’t understand why this book only has 3 stars. W H Y?
Well, I’m not a big fan of retellings, I’ve said it before but I LOVE Peter Pan so much and I just wanted to read this because I was sure that I was going to love this book and YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

Buy it and read it. D
Nikki
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

For as long as I've known about retellings, I've been on the lookout for a truly amazing YA retelling of Peter Pan. I am convinced that, if done right, this hypothetical retelling would skyrocket up to one of my favorite books of all time. In my head, it just has so much potential.

I saw that potential in Never Never when I first heard about it. However, after finishing i
Sarah Louise
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
“You’re a lost boy now, James. There is no home for you but here.”

Peter Pan portrayed as a villain is not something I haven’t seen before, but I always enjoy when a normally pleasant, charismatic character can be twisted into something more sinister. And Never Never by Brianna Shrum does the malevolent Peter Pan really well.

There is noticeably something off about this Peter Pan from the beginning, and he definitely verges into psychotic territory early on. Never Never gives us a story about a b
Cameron
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
When I think of James Hook all that I see is this:

And boy, did this book make that image more solid!

Imagine you are a 13 year old boy just out taking a walk and all of a sudden this strange boy shows up telling you that there is a magical world and he wants to take you there. But once you get there he refuses to let you go home. That is what happens to our beloved villain, Captain James Hook.

James Hook suddenly finds himself thrust into Neverland with the horrifying realization that Peter is n
Christina
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

So, I admit that I've never read the original Peter Pan :-/ I did, coincidentally, happen to buy it recently and it's hiding in my closet with the intention of being one of my daughter's many Christmas presents. But, my only experience with Peter was from the Disney movie, in which, of course, you root for Peter. But in this retelling, it's the complete opposite. I disliked the Pan from pretty much the moment he was introduced.
The story begins with a 12 year old James Hook who dreams onl
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Thank you NetGalley for letting me read an arc in exchange for a review!

I wanted to like this book so much. It was my first YA Peter Pan retelling and I was ready for some mind blowing Never Land action. Of course, I was pumped to imagine Killian Jones from Once Upon a Time as Never Never's Captain Hook.
description

The writing in this book was very well done. It was simplistic but still flowing and vivid. It was definitely giving off a more middle grade vibe, but that wasn't a big deal to me.

I made it about
Stacee
2.5 stars? I don't even know.

I was a little disappointed in this book. I loooooved the idea for it. I mean, who doesn't want to know Hook's backstory?

I found Peter to be horribly irritating. Like ruin the story sort of irritating. Of course that means that his character was written effectively and that he served his purpose. And it helped me to understand Hook's obsession. As for Hook, I didn't really connect with him either. I found him to be a bit lacking. It felt like the only scenes that Ja
Kelly Hager
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the second I heard about it, I was excited to read this. While I'm not huge on Peter Pan like my friends Kathy and Hannah are, I like stories told from a new perspective. And Neverland as explained by Captain Hook? YES AND YES.

And from the first sentence, this book completely had me. I loved James Hook, and the way that, even as a little boy, he couldn't wait to grow up and be a man. Obviously he and Peter Pan are going to have major problems, right? Because how can you possibly get along w
Rayne
From a completely objective standpoint, Never, Never is a decent novel with some surprising moments of poignancy and a Peter Pan retelling that is successful to a certain extent in humanizing one of literature's most iconic villains and in providing a new perspective to the original tale. The original Peter Pan allows for some pretty imaginative, creative and unbelievably touching retellings because of the great cast of engaging and largely unexplored characters that tantalize the reader into fa ...more
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing

//I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review//

Peter Pan has always been one of my favorite stories. I enjoyed the Disney movie growing up and I've really enjoyed all of the newer iterations throughout the years. But... I have a sweet spot for villains and Captain Hook is no exception. So this book was right up my alley! Never Never tells the story of James Hook from the time he is a child until he is the captain of the Spanish Main. And it was basically perfect.

The fir
Nicole Lynn Hoefs
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My exposure to Peter Pan stories is limited i.e. I’ve only watched the Disney movies, so I don’t have much to compare this book to. But I thought Brianna did an amazing job showing us the other side of the story, showing us how Captain Hook became the man we know him as. I ended up giving this book 5 out of 5 stars. Thank you Netgalley for approving my request for this eARC.

So I’ll spill and tell you all that the major reason that I requested this eARC (other than it being a retelling) was becau
Karen
This review was done by KissinBlueKaren

Never Never was hard to rate. Partly because I liked it, and partly because I am sure I was not the target audience for this story. I did enjoy this retelling and getting to know Captain Hook more.

I was picturing the movie Hook with Robin Williams throughout this whole story. I know that doesn’t evoke a lot of sympathy for Captain Hook, but I used what I had. Yea, I swear, I never liked anything Peter Pan as a kid. I felt like it was a boy’s fairy tale. T
  • Stars (Wendy Darling, #1)
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1)
  • Hook & Jill (Hook and Jill Saga, #1)
  • Unhooked
  • The Shadow Behind the Stars
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • Second Star
  • Spelled (The Storymakers, #1)
  • Neverland
  • Alterations
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • A Curse of Ash and Iron
  • The Wanderers
  • Beastkeeper

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“To die, thought the lost boy in place of the Captain, will be an awfully big adventure." - Never, Never” 1 likes
“There were several varieties of hatred, he had learned in the past several days. There was the kind that sent a man spiraling into himself and kept him chained to his bed, unable to do anything but sleep and wallow. And there was the kind that possessed a person and drove him to distraction. The kind that forced him to seek escape in wine and women and inane adventures. Those sorts of hate were certainly terrible and had profound effects on a person. But the third kind, that was the most lethal. The third was the kind of hate that infected a man, and it replicated and ran through his veins, replacing his blood. And it drove him to do terrible, vile, murderous things. That was the sort that propelled Hook forward into the trees that night.” 0 likes