Start by marking “The Warlord and the Nightingale (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Warlord and the Nightingale (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #2.5)

The Warlord and the Nightingale

(The Gunpowder Chronicles #2.5)

A Gunpowder Chronicles steampunk short story.

Hanzo the karakuri puppet maker is summoned to Koriya Castle to build a mysterious device for a fearsome warlord. Within the walls, he encounters a beautiful courtesan who must sing from dusk until dawn to chase away nightmares. Caught in a madman’s domain, will Hanzo find his escape, or sacrifice himself for the sake of love?
Published July 4th 2015 by Jeannie Lin

To ask other readers questions about The Warlord and the Nightingale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warlord and the Nightingale

Start your review of The Warlord and the Nightingale (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #2.5)
Davina Herondale
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was probably the most boring book I've ever read.
Weird insta love
Literally no character development
Ugh

Would not recommend

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Jaylia3
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I won this adorable Japanese steampunk fairy tale book from Yvette's always entertaining blog at Bookworlder

Thank you, Yvette! Now I want to read the rest of The Gunpowder Chronicles series, intriguingly described as "an Opium War steampunk adventure set in the 19th century empires of China and Japan."
Blodeuedd Finland
I never really got the feel for this one, it should have been a full novel. i need to try those instead cos her historicals are amazing
Morgan
I received this book from Netgalley as part of a multi-work collection (Once Upon A Fairy Tale: A Collection of 11 Fairy Tale Inspired Romances) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Short stories can be pretty hit or miss for me--usually I either like them or I don't. This one ended up somewhere in the middle though. While there were things that I think could have been fleshed out a little more to give the story more than just
Sophia
This is a story set in the Gunpowder Chronicles world. It was a short story that felt very much like a fairy tale fantasy. The mechanisms were a major factor in the story without pushing out the color and fantasy of it. The narrator is a simple man with certain skills and artistry in creating beautiful puppet like works including a clockwork Nightingale or a life-size Samurai warrior and this man finds himself caught up in the sophistry and intrigue of a feudal Japanese court and in love with a ...more
Stabbing
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This short story is part of an anthology called Once Upon a Fairy Tale I got from NetGalley in exchange for a review. I liked the style of writing a lot, it really conjured up a distinct image and voice. The story had a wonderful lead in but was ended in a very abrupt manner, I think it needed to be fleshed out a little more than it was. I would definitely be interested in reading one of this author's full length novels.
Michele
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Terribly romantic and very suspenseful.
Annie
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I love this series, and only wish there was more here, as it was a short story with lots left to fill in. Glad it exists and I’d love to know more about where these characters go.
Monique
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a long-time fan of Jeannie Lin; she is a terrific writer. I have liked everything I have read from her and THE WARLORD AND THE NIGHTINGALE is no exception! Part of Ms. Lin’s new steampunk series the Gunpowder Chronicles, THE WARLORD AND THE NIGHTINGALE is set in feudal Japan. Hanzo Karakuri is a puppet maker, and he is summoned to Koriya Castle by Lord Mizunaga to oversee the construction of an unknown device. One evening, when his work on his automaton is not meeting his expectations, ...more
Julia
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
Short story set in Jeannie Lin's Gunpowder Chronicles universe. A clockwork puppeteer Hanzo is challenged to make an elaborate karakuri worthy of his daiymo. Struggling to find his inspiration and purpose, Hanzo discovers Lady Yura, a lovely courtesan tasked with singing Lord Mizunaga to sleep every night. Hanzo stumbles on the true reason for his commission, but rather than being frightened or angered by it, he seems to embrace the challenge. Lady Yura is more than she appears. I enjoyed the ...more
Eve
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: I received this bonus story via a giveaway.

A maker of mechanical puppets or karakuri, Hanzo is constructing his best creation yet at Lord Mizunaga’s behest. In the meantime, he falls in love with Yura, the courtesan with the lovely voice. The romance between Hanzo and Yura builds slowly and sweetly; Hanzo’s karakuri are wonderful and described in absorbing details; add those to the twists that I didn’t see coming, and you have a thrilling and confidently written steampunk romance.
Elley Murray
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful retelling of The Nightingale (Hans Christian Anderson) featuring a man who makes clockwork automata, a samurai warlord, and a beautiful singing courtesan. I haven't read anything else by Jeannie Lin before, but this story is set in the Opium War steampunk world of The Gunpowder Chronicles, which apparently I now need to read. A unique steampunk twist on a classic tale that is very beautifully told, I came to care for the main characters despite the shortness of the story.
Nicole Luiken
I've been meaning to give this author a try for awhile so I couldn't resist picking up this free novella. Plus, Japanese steampunk! Too cool. Well-written, but told in the fairytale style. The warlord in the title is actually the villain and the hero is a lowly karakuri (spelling?) maker of clockwork puppets who falls in love with the beautiful singer kept by the warlord.
Kell Andrews
I wanted more from this story, which made it emotionally unsatisfying, but it intrigued me enough that I want to read the other books in Jeannie Lin's series. I've read others of her books and I know she can create more emotional involvement in the characters, and I really liked the feudal Japanese setting with the steampunk genre twist.
Mojca
***available in the Once Upon A Fairy Tale collection***

I wasn't impressed...I wasn't anything, really, except feeling disconnected from the story and the characters.
Angel Graham
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books
This is a short story, but it's a complete story. I wasn't quite ready for the ending, but it totally fits the story.

I don't normally read "historical's", but this is part of Jeannie Lin's Gunpowder Alchemy series, so, I had to read it...glad I did.
Kaetrin
recommended by Sunita
Mskychick
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
This is a pretty cool little short story.
Caroline
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A very short fairy tale with a lot of atmosphere and automatons.
LPJ
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A short story that fit nicely into the space, but left you wanting more. I loved that it's steampunky but still very much about the characters and situation. Beautifully done/
Dee Carney
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so certain there couldn't possibly be a happy ending to this story but the author pulled it off splendidly. Loved this fairy tale.
Rebecka
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved this!
Claire
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Beautiful, lyrical and fantastical, but with some sharp edges you discover along with the protagonist. Love the twist at the end as well!
ms bookjunkie
Intricate, but not quite romantically satisfying enough for me. I'd've preferred more relationship building.
Claire
Sonia
Mar 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 26, 2016 08:39AM

• Selkies are a Girl's Best Friend (Mystic Bayou, #3)
  • Restless Rancher (Wild Rose Ranch, #2)
  • Risk It All (Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunters #2)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • No Such Thing as Dasher: A Christmas Paranormal Romance short story
  • The Clergyman's Wife: A Pride and Prejudice Novel
  • The Claiming of the Shrew (The Survivors, #5)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas (River Ranch, #3)
  • Once Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #1)
  • London's Late Night Scandal (Midnight Secrets, #3)
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • Amatka
  • My Favorite Things: A Christmas Collection
  • A Christmas Gift
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Darcy in Hollywood: A Modern Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jeannie Lin grew up fascinated with stories of Western epic fantasy and Eastern martial arts adventures. When her best friend introduced her to romance novels in middle school, the stage was set. Jeannie started writing her first romance while working as a high school science teacher in South Central Los Angeles. After four years of trying to break into publishing with ...more

The Gunpowder Chronicles (2 books)
  • Gunpowder Alchemy (The Gunpowder Chronicles #1)
  • Clockwork Samurai (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #2)