Start by marking “Join Me” as Want to Read:
Join Me

Join Me

Some men are born to lead. Others, not so much…

Danny Wallace was bored. Just to see what would happen, he placed a whimsical ad in a local London paper. It said, simply, 'Join Me'. Within a month, he was receiving letters and emails from teachers, mechanics, sales reps, vicars, schoolchildren and pensioners - all pledging allegiance to his cause. But no one knew what his
Published June 3rd 2004 by Ebury Press (first published May 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Join Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Join Me

Start your review of Join Me
Caroline
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Read up to page 44 then lost the will to live. As funny as a bus ticket. Excellent flash reviews on the cover though eg "Hilarious" The Times, or "One of the funniest stories you will EVER read" Daily Mail. Perhaps the humour all starts on page 45?

Loved Wallaces's book "Awkward Situations for Men". I just couldn't carry on carrying on though. Time for a large gin and tonic, and I don't even drink....
Tariq
Jun 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the fuck?

Who would publish such ridiculous, self-centered shite?

I read the whole thing! These were exceptional circumstances. Stuck somewhere with nothing else to do.

The author clearly thinks that he is extremely funny, and clever. He is neither. He is a total prat, and I want to slap him.

It went on, and on, and on, and on... nothing changed. It didn't get any better. It got worse.
Punk
Jul 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Non-fiction. Bored, Danny Wallace puts an ad in his local paper that reads "Join Me" and accidentally starts an cult. This is written as non-fiction but reads like a wacky British comedy. Danny asks people to join him, and they do, but they want to know why they're joining him, and that's a question he can't answer. So he has to come up with a purpose for his group, and along the way he meets up with his Joinees and travels about Europe to promote his Join Me collective.

This book had me
Stefanie Price
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s a whole canon of literature that revolves around what is neatly described by Wallace’s girlfriend as ‘stupid boy bets’. Started by Tony Hawks hitching around Ireland with a fridge, to playing the Moldovan football team at tennis, or getting a no. 1 record in Albania with the help of the late, great Norman Wisdom – followed by Dave Gorman with his adventures in Googlewhacking, and now Danny Wallace has taken the helm of the pointless mission initiative with ‘Yes Men’ and the book under ...more
Shannon
Apr 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, lulz
Danny Wallace, you're a silly bitch! Awesome. Though it kind of annoyed me what a douche he was to his girlfriend.. and that HE didn't really do the good-deeds-on-friday thing. COME ON!

Also! I don't buy his slightly self-depriciating air (oh.. I don't know what I'm doing..). He's CLEARLY very pleased with himself. Still, the book was pretty amusing so eh.
Paul
Oct 09, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know, I just got a little bored of this in the middle. I think he probably imagined he was being terribly arch and funny, but it just didn't seem to be going anywhere quickly enough for me.
Victoria Roe
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this before but have a vaguely hazy memory of how it all played out (but I could remember the key bits). It turns out that it’s probably best on the first read; I found it a little repetitive this time round so the 4 stars probably represent a generous review (or first time one). Funny though, and written in a style that makes it feel like listening to a long stand up gig which includes the odd bits of throwaway humour for the reader that keep it moving.
Jessica
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My CurledUp review: While it seems that in the United States young adults keep getting busier and busier, continually adding activities to an already full calendar, juggling dating, career, family, and friends, it seems that in England blokes have a lot of time on their hands. At least, Danny Wallace does.

In his sheer boredom and with a little inspiration from his recently deceased great-Uncle Gallus, who, he discovers, tried to start a commune, Wallace undertakes a little project. The only goal
Dane Cobain
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It never ceases to amaze me how Danny Wallace manages to get himself into awkward situations – in fact, he’s written two books called Awkward Situations for Men, and he shows no signs of slowing down in his (slightly) old age. In Join Me, though, he accidentally starts a cult from his flat in London, after whimsically posting an advertisement in his local paper saying ‘Join Me’ and eventually receiving letters and e-mails from people that were based all over the world.

I won’t go any further into
Jenelle
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a teacher at my school when I rushed into his room one morning looking for a book to read for SSR. Little did I know, I fell in love with Danny Wallace. His unique sense of adventure has enchanted me and inspired me to find purpose in my life despite what the negative people in my life say.

When Danny attends his grandfather's funeral, he discovers that the recently deceased man once tried to start his own community of like-minded people. This triggered Danny to
Penny
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Join Me...Seriously JOIN ME right now! Join Me in having read this book 'Join Me' by Danny Wallace...then...JOIN ME in joining his Karma Army - the instructions are in the back of the book. Then you too can be part of the world-wide collective doing Random Acts of Kindness (RAoK) every Friday. Go on - make every Friday a Good Friday too!
Start by finding a copy of this book any legal way you can - buying it new also helps the author remember - and READ IT and be inspired...go on, while you're
Mariam Abood
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I actually finished this book a while back so I don't know why it has taken me until now to write a review, but here goes. I've decided to give this book four stars based on the sheer fact this is based on a true story. This actually happened. I suppose I'm trying to distance myself from the context I am reading it in because I remember reading this thinking 1000 followers is nothing, but I guess this was written in the days before social media. Dan also appeared a little arrogant to me, but ...more
EJ
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you need a laugh.,...
Shelves: memoir, hahahahahaha
Danny Wallace is extremely charming through his quirky wit. He will win you over! I laughed out loud at every page. Very rarely am I able to fall into humourous books...lets face it, its so much better when someone delivers a line rather then reading it. Danny is funny both on Tv and in writing.
Danny often comes up with little adventures...little did he know that one day of boredom would result in a worldwide cult.
You don't find out till the end what the the purpose for the cult is, but
Katy Noyes
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can happen when a man follows through...

With a crazy idea! I admit, I have a bit of a crush on Danny Wallace, after reading this shortly after his latest non-fiction account of his exploration of rudeness in society.

He makes no qualms about placing himself and his life in the centre of his books, and his loveable 'man child' persona is rather endearing as well as whoe-heartedly entertaining to follow on his escapades around the globe (or the European part of it, in this instance).

Danny
Tundextra
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Actually a much more interesting read, and for reasons you wouldn't expect!
Wallace's man-child approach to life introduces yet another good read. Any newspaper ad asking people to 'Join Me' just by sending in a passport sized photograph, morphs into something a lot more and in addition brings Wallace to a significant decision about his approach to the way he lives his life.
The beautiful thing about this book is how it shows how so many people want to do good; and this is what I really liked
Andrew Griffiths
Absolutely hilarious book tracking the path of a Danny Wallace almost accidently starting a cult before he knew what had happened.

Particularly fascinating given that this is pre-social media and he launched his community entirely through newspaper ads and chatroom style comments boards.

Danny writes phenomenally well, incredibly personably and conveys his own unique voice well. I got into trouble with my girlfriend numerous times by laughing aloud whilst she was trying to sleep. It's rare that a
Stuart Haining
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s very rare that I laugh at a LOL book (as judged by the critics) but in this case I did, many times. A thoroughly good read - who knew it takes this much effort to start a cult, sorry, collective. A shame it doesn’t appear to have survived the test of time and society is Everyman (or women) for himself as per usual.
Freya Inston
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny, witty, silly tale of starting a cult, silly boy project. My kind of style, lots of him enjoying a cup of tea! Very amusing & enjoyable read.
Sayraphim Lothian
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved how Danny accidentally started a cult of kindness! Loved reading about his adventures through cult leader and guerrilla kindness!
Lawanda
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
November 2004 book club choice. It really is possible to make the world a little bit nicer. It’s funny, educational and, yes, more than a little bizarre. Lots of fun.
Ellie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to stop at the 50% mark. Started off really great–fresh writing and original concept. But the halt starts at about the 30% mark and never quite picks up again.
Kim
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, good read for all writers. You will feel buoyed and validated in Goldberg’s hands.
Azra
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture, funny, humor
Oh, this was a fun read! It was the account of an accidental movement that sprang from a spontaneous ad in a local paper, placed just to see what would happen. Eventually, thousands of random acts of kindness were (are?) done by its members.

The book reads as if the author were sitting with you, telling his tale as you drink your favorite beverage.
James
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Danny Wallace's "project that gets out of hand" books, and this was one of his better ones, with good stories, funny lines and a personal plot in the story that makes you remember that getting caught up in the silliness does have repercussions.

Wallace unsurprisingly comes across as self-indulgent at times, and after a while the "He looked disgruntled. In fact, he looked like he was never 'gruntled'"* style lines can get a bit tiresome but it is a lot of fun and Wallace also
Steve
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was in the mood for something a bit lighter after a spate of serious science biographies. I'd bought this up ages ago, put it on the shelf, and decided to pick it up one evening last week.
I'm so glad I did.
I read Are You Dave Gorman? a few years ago. It's the hilarious story of how a silly bet between friends (Dave himself and Danny Wallace) takes them across the world to meet complete strangers, provides the raw material for a comedy show, and nearly kills off Danny's relationship with his
Gem
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I listened to this book as I believe I got it as a daily deal on Audible.

Originally published in 2003 - this book hasn’t aged well. If nothing else, Danny’s experiment would be a GDPR nightmare!
David Jones
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review from http://dwjjones1.blogspot.co.uk/

In Join Me, Danny largely by accident starts a cult (or as he prefers it to be known a "collective") by entering a small advert into a local London paper. the ad simply said "JOIN ME" and asked any one wanting to join to send a passport sized photo of themselves to Danny. He never gave any explanation of what they where joining, mainly because he didn't have the faintest idea what the purpose was.

As people respond and the members start to grow
Mouse
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard about the book and the group some years ago but never really paid much attention. I had marked this as one of those books to read that I will probably never actually read, cause y'know that's just how it works. I did run across this book at my local library recently and seeing it was like....a call of sorts. I've been looking for more ways to positively influence people and do good deeds so I figured this book might be somewhat influential. Boy was I wrong! Hahaha! This book is hilarious ...more
Rebecca
Apparently I went on a binge a few weeks back and finally got around to requesting every Danny Wallace book that I haven't read yet. LAPL has them all except one that I can't find on any California library list!! Debating buying it (in case you care, it's the book he wrote with Dave Gorman, called "Are you Dave Gorman?") and I see in stores alll the time, but when is the last time I actually bought a book? 2007? This pisses me off a lot. Anyway, this book! A bit old, a bit out of date. Danny's ...more
Janet
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Danny travels to Switzerland to attend the funeral of his Great-Uncle, Gallus and whilst there he discovers that in the 1940s, Gallus had tried to start a commune - and had ended up with just three members!

Inspired by this, Danny decides to form his own cult, erm, I mean collective, as a tribute to Gallas, and so he places an advert in a London paper paper with the words ‘Join Me’ and a box number to send a photograph to. He is amazed to get a reply a few days later, and slowly people start to
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
  • One Hit Wonderland
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: Whatever the Game — Dave Takes on All Comers!
  • Do Not Pass Go: From the Old Kent Road to Mayfair
  • Tricks of the Mind
  • Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World's Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power
  • I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times on Television
  • McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland
  • Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
  • Keane:  The Autobiography
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work
“The sad thing is, I was discovering that you almost have to make a joke of being good to strangers. Up and down the country, these people doing their good deeds were doubtless being seen as slightly eccentric, when in reality and in an ideal world they should be deemed the most normal people of all.” 14 likes
“And before any Christian readers get all offended - relax. I'm not saying that I'm the new Jesus. I'm just saying there's a very good chance that I might be.” 10 likes