Start by marking “A Little Something Different: A Swoon Novel” as Want to Read:
A Little Something Different: A Swoon Novel

A Little Something Different: A Swoon Novel

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  19,126 ratings  ·  3,523 reviews
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. ...more
Published August 28th 2014 by MacMillan Children's Books (first published August 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Something Different, please sign up.
Elvira Ståhlbrand I think it depends on what kind of book you are looking for. I found this book very cute and fluffy, but it isn't very deep or makes you think. It is…moreI think it depends on what kind of book you are looking for. I found this book very cute and fluffy, but it isn't very deep or makes you think. It is a good book if you are a bit down and just want a light read. I laughed and snorted several times during this book. I think it all depends on if you can appreciate the wonders of hearing what a bench and a squirrel sees on a relationship :)(less)
Meredith I think it is. It got me out of a reading rut, where I couldn't finish anything. It's fast, doesn't require a ton of brain power and will make you…moreI think it is. It got me out of a reading rut, where I couldn't finish anything. It's fast, doesn't require a ton of brain power and will make you smile.(less)

·  19,126 ratings  ·  3,523 reviews

Ariel
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked Fangirl and want something similarly adorable, you need to pick this up.
If you want to see how multiple perspectives can be done properly and interestingly, you should pick this up.
If you want a cute, cheesy but lovely story, you'll want to pick this up.

Obviously the gimmick and selling point for this novel, the reason everyone mentions for picking this up, is the fact that there are 14 different perspectives.. and NONE of those perspectives are the main character. I didn't buy this
Lucy
Flat, stereotypical characters, overused romcom clichés, and a sentient, perverted bench are just a few of the myriad problems I had with A Little Something Different. Yes, you read that right. Among Hall’s 14 viewpoints, there is a sentient, perverted bench. Let that sink in for a while.

The constantly shifting perspectives (of everyone from their bus driver to a squirrel on campus) is clearly meant as a quirky, interesting way to tell a story, but since Hall rarely spends more than a few pages
Pearl Angeli
Such a sweet and adorable read!

There are books that can simultaneously make you smile as you go through the pages, and A Little Something Different is one of them.

The story centers on two teenage main characters Gabe and Lea who share the same class in creative writing. They're attracted to each other, but because they're both being shy and awkward, they can't seem to initiate a move in order to get closer. As the story goes, we get to know some of the people that surround them who eventually t
Wendy Darling
I'm pretty sure that if this book accidentally fell open in your lap, a million little hearts would fly up into a cloud surrounding you in all the sweet, good-natured adorableness that is this story.

14 POVs, yet none of them from the two lovebirds, and two of the POVS are so patently ridiculous that they should absolutely not work--and yet they do, they do, they do. So flipping cute!

3.5 stars very strong stars. And it makes my 2014 favorites list, even though other more highly rated books did n
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Pearl Angeli

Allow me to use this review as an avenue to greet a wonderful friend (whose review I find way more beautiful than the book) a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Someday hopefully soon, Pearl, I will love a book you love with all my heart but in the meantime, I hope this simple birthday wish for you would be enough to make you smile. HAPPY,HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WONDERFUL PEARLY! MAY YOUR DAY BE HAPPY, SPECIAL AND MEMORABLE! MAY IT BE FULL OF AMAZING SURPRISES! HAVE A FANTAMAZEBULOUS DAY!

Review

The novel lived up to th
Whitney Atkinson
DNF.

The concept of this book is so, so, so, SO neat. But the writing of this is so elementary, I could barely get through 15 pages before knowing it would bother me for the entire book. I wish it were otherwise :(
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE!

I have never read a story like this one. It is told in multiple POV's. They each have a part in the story and there are 14 of them. I thought this was really cool. We even have commentary from a bench and a squirrel which was cute and funny. I will add a couple of their excerpts in a few.

So the major players are, Gabe & Lea

The folks and things rooting for them throughout the book are:

1. Maribel (Lea's roommate)
2. Bench
3. Sam (Gabe's brother)
4. Squirrel
5. Victor (creativ
Zoë
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I was in the mood for: a cute romance book that didn't take itself too seriously. I loved the multiple POVs, from the romance-obsessed teacher Inga to the oldest bench on the college campus's green (yup, there is a bench's perspective in this book HAHAHA!). The only issue I had with this book is that because it was from perspectives other than the main two characters, I wasn't really able to wholly connect with them and at some points the will they/won't they aspect of ...more
Mith
Story about two cripplingly shy love-birds told from everybody's point of view, except theirs. Cute, right?

Only, not so much.

After what seemed to be the millionth POV of an utterly random stranger (with no connection whatsoever to the two leads) who gushes about how special the two are, and how there is just this chemistry between them and how they are so sure that the two are just meant for each other, I decided to throw in the towel.

So, SO much telling, absolutely no showing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
Giselle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Awww! What a cute and sweet read. A Little Something Different is exactly that - a romance story that is different from any I've read before, and one that leaves you with a silly smile on your face. The perfect rainy-day read, that's for sure!

In short, this is a love story about two people who keep misreading each other. One is extremely shy, the other is quiet and reluctant, not realizing they're both into each other. What makes this book unique, though, is the way it's told. We don't go into t
Rachel Reads Ravenously
2 stars

I feel really bad rating this a 2, especially after the awesome Buffy reference, but this book really was just okay for me.

What I liked:
-The author's voice: she's a very witty and funny gal, and bravo to her for all of the different character POV's.

What I didn't like:
-This story was not in any way, shape or form believable to me. 14 different people all routing for this couple to get together? For an extended period of time? I'm sorry but it just didn't sell me. And I got really bored t
Eliza

You might wonder how I can rate this so lowly if I read it entirely in one day. But that's just it. I was trying to finish quickly because I couldn't take it anymore. I was done with the mediocre writing, the bland and annoying characters, and the predictable ending that anyone could've seen coming.

This whole book just made me feel tense and indignant. Could Lea stop being so possessive? And could Gabe start acting his age - rather than behaving like a 10 year-old, all the time? Also, t
may ❀

A Little Something Different is, ‘a little something different.’

Okay, wow that was bad, I should probably keep my day job.

So, told from fourteen different perspectives ((except the main characters)), A Little Something Different is a hella cute love story.

description

Basically, there are these two super cute human beings (Gabe and Lea) and EVERYONE in the world ships them but theyre SO FRICKEN DENSE they are completely oblivious to it.

So the whole premise of the plot just revolves around that and YES,
Fafa's Book Corner
Fafa's Book Corner (Wordpress)
Fafa's Book Corner (Blogger)

DNF

When I first heard about this book I thought that it would be fun. It sounded sweet and unique. Aj (click on her name to see her review) posted a review on it and I was starting to have doubts. I found a sample on iBooks and read it. Unfortunately I was not impressed and dropped it. I didn't really read that much so I'm not going to use a spoiler tag.

This book is narrated in first person. It shows us different people's point of v
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about a love story, told in 14 different points of views. I read this in one sitting - I couldn't stop! This is probably one of the cutest and most unique books I've ever read! I highly recommend!
Giulia
“Sometimes it’s better to say something stupid than nothing at all.”

A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall is exactly what the title says. After constantly seeing it on my Goodreads page, I finally caved and bought the hardback on Amazon a few months ago. I couldn't resist it.
I read it in two days, but it could have been easily read in a few hours. All I know is that I had heart eyes and manic "oh-please-kiss-already" interjections while reading this. The story is a cheesy romance t
Fenia
This book was so special and unique!! ♥ I loved it!! If you want a fluffy new book then you better pick this up!! Its a tale of two people and how 14 people see them. Their point of views are the only way we get the chance to follow the couple,because these two don't have POVs,but that's what makes it so special!!

I loved the squirrel and the bench. This book made me laugh out loud in public. Great book! :D ♥
enqi ☁️✨ kell maresh lovesite
This book was so cute. Sometimes annoyingly cute, but still cute.

I've yet to read a contemporary romance story like this one! It's a love story told from fourteen points of view - those of the people and things that our main couple, Gabe and Lea, interacts with. There's even commentary from a bench and a squirrel! Here are the points of view we get to see:

1. Maribel (Lea's roommate)
2. Danny (Lea's friend)
3. Casey (Gabe's friend)
4. Sam (Gabe's brother)
5. Bob (bus driver)
6. Charlotte (barista)
Rebecca
I've chosen to DNF this book because I can never get into it and I feel like I've given it a hundred chances already. (An exaggeration, of course.) The idea is great but I'm struggling to believe that so many people (plus a squirrel and bench) are invested in these characters and this relationship. I know I'm not. Another case of 'theory yay, execution nay' - for me, at least. If you want a cute read that's told in a different way then give it a go but sadly it didn't work out for me.
BookLover
Bumping this up to a 4, really a 3.5 - 3.75. Gotta give it points for originality!

Things I loved about this book:
1. The ooey gooey sweetness of the story. It kept me smiling. This was a an overall sweet and light read.
2. The humour. There were some real gems in this book. I really felt the different voices of the various points of views and many of them cracked me up.
3. Gabe - gah, I really loved him!!!

Things I…meh, didn’t love about this book:
1. Part of the reason why I loved this story, the un
Romie
I decided to reread this book, grabbed it, started reading, and then two hours later I was done. But damn, did I have two amazing hours.

I love that this story is told from 14 different point of views, but never the two love interests. I just loved seeing how everybody — their friends, the barristas at Starbucks, a squirrel (yeah), a bench (you read that one right as well), the bus driver, their teacher, were so invested in Gabe and Lea's possible relationship. It was absolutely adorable.

I wish m
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This book was cute. I was looking for a super fast contemporary and that's what I got. Oddly enough, I didn't really like the couple in the story...but I loved a lot of the side characters, and it's told from their perspectives so it worked. It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed my time reading it.
Debby

As soon as I heard the premise of the book, I was sold. This book would have a 95% chance of success for me. 14 point of views all shipping two real life people, trying to get them together? SO PERFECT SO CUTE MUST HAS. Then that cover was revealed and my GRABBY HANDS came out to play. All my instincts were 100% correct: this book is adorable, feel good, happy making, and incredibly entertaining.

So the premise of A Little Something Different is that Gabe and Lea, two college students sh
Alaina
Sep 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My disdain for this book had nothing to do with the fact that it had 14 different viewpoints it was the fact that all 14 of them sounded like the exact SAME person. I'm sorry but if a 20 something year old college kid sounds like an CREATIVE WRITING PROFESSOR there's a problem for me.

I found this book on a target bookshelf and after reading the summary I thought I was in love, it sounded so interesting i just wanted to read it right away. But by the end of the first 'chapter' I was confused as
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Too cute! Loved all the perspectives, especially some unexpected ones. Unexpected how? Well, for the first time in my life I got to read from the perspectives of a bench (yes, as in the ones we sit on) and a squirrel.

The only reason this isn't a five star read is probably because I was confused sometimes since I'm not used to hearing from perspectives other than the MCs'. Full review to come!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An ARC of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This review, however, is based on the audiobook version, which was procured from my local library. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

This story was absolutely adorable and exactly what I needed while I was reading. I never would have believed that fourteen (14!) different perspectives -- and two of those from a squirrel and a bench -- could work so well, but they did.
Vera W
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

3.5 Stars

Creative writing and cuteness galore!

A Little Something Different tells a tale of romance with 14 different points of view. Little slices of life molded together to show how two hearts—these two hearts--found each other. Or did they? Will Gabe and Lea find a happy ending?

Gabe and Lea, two college students with eyes only for each other, are two of the sweetest kids on record. I could cuddle up with Gabe until the end of time! :D The adorable tension and buildup between them is palpable
A Little Something Different is a standalone novel written by author Sandy Hall. I adored this book! It's not a story that makes you think, it's not one that teaches life lessons or has some underlying theme going on, it's just a short and sweet book that makes you smile, and sometimes you just need that kind of reading experience.

The writing style in A Little Something Different is so much fun!! This is a young-love romance from fourteen different perspectives - basically, everyone around thes
Heather
This was an adorable & unique book. It was told in various perspectives but the two main characters & I loved that spin! I liked watching Gabe & Lea's story unfold although it took forever for it too!

Both Lea & Gabe were likable characters, but Lea more so. Gabe was very shy, reserved and sometimes I wanted to shake him and say 'Come on man! Just talk to her! What do you have to lose?' Gabe was very frustrating in that way.

Lea was just an adorable, quirky girl. As a quirky gir

• Top Ten Clues You're Clueless
  • Damsel Distressed
  • Even in Paradise
  • Sway
  • Magnolia (Magnolia Branch, #1)
  • Don't Touch
  • The Fire of Merlin (The Return to Camelot, #2)
  • Totally Tubular
  • Something Real (Something Real, #1)
  • The Fine Art of Pretending (The Fine Art of Pretending, #1)
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl
  • Infinite Repeat (The Art of Lainey, #0.5)
  • Solving for Ex
  • No Place to Fall
  • A Blind Spot for Boys
  • #16thingsithoughtweretrue
  • Being Sloane Jacobs
“Sometimes it’s better to say something stupid than nothing at all.” 51 likes
“They sit there in the window of the coffee shop for almost an hour, not talking much, but looking at each other over the tops of their books, flirting somehow even without words. It would be gross if it weren’t adorable.” 35 likes