Start by marking “Flight, Vol. 2 (Flight, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flight, Vol. 2  (Flight, #2)

Flight, Vol. 2

(Flight #2)

Collects short graphic novels with varying themes, artists, and genres.
Paperback, Second Edition, 432 pages
Published April 10th 2007 by Villard (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flight, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight, Vol. 2

Start your review of Flight, Vol. 2 (Flight, #2)
Tina Haigler
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed this anthology. I actually preferred this second volume to the first. The art was better and so were the stories. I think there were only two where I wasn't thrilled about the art and only a few stories where I was left wanting. Considering how many are in this, that's quite impressive. There were even some art and stories that were downright impressive and fantastic works. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes short stories and art. I am looking forward to the rest of the ...more
Mir
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty much the same review as vol 1: generally high quality of art, low amount of story-telling, probably not a lot that will linger in my memory.

A few stand-outs (good, bad, or simply noteworthy):

Michael Gagne's fox, whom I have encountered enough times now to remember. Super cute, although I don't really get what's happening.

"Monster Slayers" by Khang Le I thought was quite good, and like a really story. I.e. an episode of an ongoing plot with characters, not just a few-page experiment.
Lupe Dominguez
While a much heftier volume, this anthology was also radically different. More personal than the first, I think. Lots of good stories, a few head scratchers and some that made you go "wow". I enjoyed it very much.
Sesana
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, short-stories
So very, very pretty. That's the best thing that I can say. Like the original Flight anthology, the second one has a very wide variety of work from many different creators, with very different styles, but all beautiful to look at. A few differences, though. This collection is much longer than the first one, almost twice as long. The theme of flight seems to have basically been abandoned, in favor of just presenting a lot of variety. And the writing isn't as uniformly solid. But it's just so ...more
Matt Seraph
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A riot of utterly different styles of line and colour, this collection melds good to exquisite art with shamelessly simple stories that radiate the joy their authors took in creating them. A play at a children's theatre. A sumptuous tea party crashed by a polite grizzly bear. Two best friends eating a moon together. An immigrant remembering how they learned to play baseball.

Unlikely to be anyone's favourite graphic novel, but the best stories will leave a softly fading sweetness with you - like
Dov Zeller
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get interested in this thematic collection of graphic short stories and excerpts. As long as I don't think too hard about the theme (because it is so loosely employed and seems to worry my reading experience) I enjoy reading a bunch of graphic shorts by many talented graphic artists.
Praxedes
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare instances where sequel surpasses its predecessor. Flight Volume II has more content and variety than Volume I, and is a lot more accessible to the average person. The first volume had too many stories featuring more abstract stories and artwork, making it difficult at times to follow along. This book has a bit of that, of course, but also tales that are readable!

It was surprising to me how many of these graphic short stories had nothing to do with flying...just as well,
Elizabeth A
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphix, kids-ya
I've been dipping in and out of this collection of short graphic novels over the past week, and as with any anthology, some stories are way better than others. Still, I quite appreciated the diversity of artists and styles represented in this one. It is a much fatter book than Volume 1, and a stronger collection overall.
Michael
I have now read three of this Flight graphic story series, where each is a collection of stories by various artists that usually has some relationship to "flight". No intro or epilogue here, it goes straight to the stories and doesn't stop until it reaches the author bios on the final pages.

This one started strong, but I was worried when it hit a lull, or perhaps better described as a section of stories that didn't interest me much. But the last dozen really made up for it, and I ended up liking
Pamela
I didn't like this volume of Flight as much as the first one, but I'll definitely finish the series. What I found odd here was that about half of the stories were not about flight (either in a literal or allegorical sense--unless I'm completely missing something here!). Some of the graphics from certain authors were also a bit hard to dechiper.

My favorites here were: Jen Wang's "Destiny Xpress," Kazu Kibuishi's "The Orange Grove," Guenoden's "The Ride, "Dust on the Shelves" by Bannister, and
Andréa
My library shelves this whole series in the juvenile section. But personally, I really think the series is better suited for the YA or even adult sections. In this volume in particular, the bulk of the characters are grown-ups, there are several stories and scenes with violence, and the F-bomb is on page 132. I don't know about other parents, but I know my mom would have been furious if, when I was at the juvenile reading level, I had brought home a book with f*** in it, and if I had kids of my ...more
Natalia
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great stories! I love that I get to see the work of many!
Arianna
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really liked "The Ride" by Rodolphe Guenoden and "Skyblue" by Matthieu Forichon. This book is filled with some beautiful artwork.
Sonja P.
Flight is one of those books you pick up to see what different artists do with the concepts, and how different they can execute very broad prompts. This one has some amazing talents too: Hope Larsen, Kazu Kibuisha, Sonny Liew, and Jen Wang among others. Really beautiful art and some stories I didn’t want to end.
Karissa
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the second volume in Kibuishi’s Flight series. As with the first Flight volume this is a collection of graphic short stories. I thought this volume was much, much better than Flight Vol 1. The stories were just consistently more entertaining and better quality.

This volume contains short stories from a variety of genres and styles. Illustration style varies widely, as do the story types. Most of the stories were appropriate for all ages but there were a few that were best suited for older
Ash
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Michael
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Complete Collection Rating: 7/10 (Good)

This is a much stronger collection of stories than those found in Flight Volume 1, both from a narrative and visual standpoint. There are still a few weak entries, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the uptick in story quality.

Story Ratings:

"Inner Sanctum" 7/10 (Good)
"Solomon Fix" 7/10 (Good)
"Jelly Fruit" 6/10 (OK)
"The Robot and the Sparrow" 8/10 (Really Good)
"Dead Soul's Day Out" 7/10 (Good)
"Monster Slayers" 8/10 (Really Good)
"The Golden Temple"
Jonathan Cook
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, unsorted
Flight Volume 2 is heavier and prettier than Volume 1, and features some ringers in the form of Jeff Smith, Doug TenNapel and Don Hertzfeldt, but on the whole it feels less substantial than the first volume, which was almost a manifesto by it's very existence. The second volume continues the first's passion for beauty and design in comics, and the all-ages accessibility of the comics within is refreshing, but too few of the stories offer anything in the way of substance or (worse yet) surprise.

M
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Independent authors and illustrators alike return with unique tales in the second Flight anthology. Featuring some continuing epics and some brand new tales, this Flight volume does explore the imagination. Michael Gagne's silent epic involving a lone fox creature continues, dazzling with simplicity and charm. Neil Babra is also back, adding another chapter to an American visiting the life left behind in India so many years ago. Major highlights include a robot that learns how to dream in Jake ...more
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the latest volume of the series I read, the first and third are both excellent. The talented Kazu Kibuishi contributes and edits the volumes. Volume 2 is over 350 pages of illustrated short stories by a variety of artists and authors. While each volume has a theme, they don’t stick to it too much s the stories cover a whole spectrum.

This volume is a little darker than the rest, many of the stories have depressing endings or deal with adult themes. So even though many of the illustrations
Becky B
Typical of the Flight books I've read so far, this one is a rather eclectic mix of short stories in graphic novel form varying greatly in style and intended audience. Several of the stories are perfectly harmless and seem aimed at kids, while others have decidedly more adult themes and vocabulary/illustrations. I think I like Vol 1 or 8 better.

Notes on content: Several of the stories are completely inane with no content issues. There are several stories with minor swearing, and one with a very
Zoltán Kelemen
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Worst first, as there's so little of it: ok, there were some simpleton comics in there. A few stories coming from nowhere, taking you nowhere and something a brain-dead could dismiss as boring throughout.
However. Almost all of it beautifully drawn and still most of the stories were nice too. A book of fairy tales for ... grown ups? I'm not sure about that. But it's not (entirely) for kids either, that's for sure. Or "just" fairy tales for people who like fairy tales? This in the best and nicest
Fred P
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really like Kazu Kibuishi's art, and one of his stories is included in this anthology of the year's best graphic art. The artwork is top-calibre, featuring many young, up-and-coming artists.

Steampunk is a major theme, with flying whales, ghost-riding trolleys and monster-bounty hunters. There is a consistent theme of humor, and light-heartedness, only belied by two darker tales. All of these are teen-friendly, and are safe for kids to read. For the most part, Kibuishi rejects the darker side
Potassium
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Flight, Volume 2 is a collection of short stories except they're drawn. Does that make them short graphic novels? Graphic short stories? Who knows...
I see Flight, Volume 2 at the library every time I go. I just never really picked it up until now because I noticed that Jen Wang had a story in it. Because I liked her drawings so much in Koko Be Good, I decided that I wanted to read her story in Flight, Volume 2! It was really neat. I liked it a lot.
Anyway, in general, I really enjoyed this
Chris  - Quarter Press Editor
The worst part about gorgeous books like this is that it makes me feel so inferior as an artist. The collected artists here are nothing short of amazing. Every page is a new glory to behold. Truly, this is a comic-art lovers' book.

As for the stories themselves, many aren't very developed. While the art pops off the page, the writing is a bit weak for the majority of the comics. A few truly stand out, one of my favorites being about baseball--something I care nothing for, but most are lackluster,
Eva Inzu
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than volume one, most of the story and art in here, in my opinion, is promising to see it again in near future. I don't read many graphic novel yet, just assume I read this book in the published year, 2005, and yes some of the artist is already made their own books and some already translated in Indonesian, for example Vera Brosgol (I remember her works also appeared in volume one), Laika by Doug Holgate, and maybe other that I haven't crossed with their continuous works.
Taylor
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was a collection of many different shorts by many different authors and artists. They all ahd there own art style, title, layout, and story. Some were worldless and some had a lot of words. Some of them had hidden messages in the and others were just plain weird. But the collection stands out and I enjoyed each one that was in here.
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'd give this a PG-13 rating for adult themes

A wonderful graphic novel of short stories by different artists. There's something here for everyone- comedy, romance, drama, and some of what was just plain weird. I loved all the different art styles and the different ways the stories played out. So much creativity! Definitely worth taking a look at, and then another.
Mandi
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
About twice as long as the first one, so there's a lot more good stuff in here; however, there's still about a fourth of the comics that I'd only give 2 stars. It's frustrating, because I'd really like to give it 4 stars otherwise. I have the third volume checked out from the library already, but if it's not significantly better than the first two, I probably won't be checking out the next one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The City on the Other Side
  • Mercury
  • The Golden Compass Graphic Novel, Complete Edition
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
  • The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish
  • Island Book
  • Friends With Boys
  • The Last Dragon
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 1
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3)
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 3
  • Stargazing
Kazu Kibuishi (born 1978) is an American graphic novel author and illustrator. He is best known for being the creator and editor of the comic anthology Flight and for creating the webcomic Copper. He has also written (drawn) the Amulet series. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at ...more

Flight (8 books)
  • Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1)
  • Flight, Vol. 3 (Flight, #3)
  • Flight, Vol. 4 (Flight, #4)
  • Flight, Vol. 5
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Flight, Vol. 7 (Flight, #7)
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)