Start by marking “How to Make Sense of Any Mess” as Want to Read:
How to Make Sense of Any Mess

How to Make Sense of Any Mess

Everything is getting more complex. It is easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of information we encounter each day. Whether at work, at school, or in our personal endeavors, there’s a deepening (and inescapable) need for people to work with and understand information. Information architecture is the way that we arrange the parts of something to make it understandable as a ...more
Paperback, first, 174 pages
Published November 4th 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Sense of Any Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make Sense of Any Mess

Peter Morville
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a brilliant introduction to information architecture. It's short and easy to read but covers all the bases. It will make sense and prove valuable to anyone who messes with information. In other words, Abby really has written a book for everybody.
Brian
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this book with very high expectations after I heard it called the "Don't Make Me Think" of Information Architecture. Sadly, it didn't live up to that hype. In the hands of a good teacher I have no doubt this would be an excellent textbook to accompany a course, but on its own it's only OK. In trying to write a succinct and versatile primer on IA for anyone, Covert has gone too far in eschewing concrete examples. Many of the self-contained page-length lessons, which would otherwise be v ...more
Julia Kulgavchuk
May 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This book is a mess. It's not a book really; I'd call it a pamphlet.

The text gives basic common sense-level knowledge about sorting out "messes". Now this doesn't sound that bad. The book explores some important points, such as "Start with why", "Who matters", "What before how". These considerations are indispensable for information architecture work and design-related work of any kind. Unfortunately the book is in a severe shortage of substance. These points need to be really well understood, a
Andy Thornton
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a deceptively thoughtful read, written as a short and snappy layman's guide to information architecture that belies its sophistication. It serves well as a intuitive reminder of the effort and focus necessary to solve sense-making problems effectively.

Abby does a great job of reframing complex concepts in a straightforward manner and the book helps shine a light on the implicit assumptions, biases, shortcuts and oversights often inherent in the work we do when architecting information.

Od
Karen Mardahl
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a great book for getting started with information architecture. I read it in about 100 minutes. I have the great big polar bear book ("Information Architecture for the World Wide Web"), but confess I have never gotten around to reading it. I am not an Information Architect, but I am interested in understanding information architect. Because it is not my job, I have made do with reading articles here and there over the years, but never reading that bigger book.

I regard this book a
Marcin Zaremba
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meta-książka. Żywy przykład na stosowanie rekomendacji wymienionych w niej samej.

Każda strona to mikro-felieton bądź mikro-definicja związana ze sposobami na opanowanie chaosu przez stosowanie zasad architektury informacji.

Całość jest przyjazną sekwencją idąc od najważniejszych, wręcz aksjomatycznych pojęć (różnica między informacją, daną a wiedzą) i przechodzi płynnie do struktur oraz taksonomii a kończy na roli biznesowej architektury informacji.

To nie jest książka, którą odkłada się na półkę
Carlos Alonso
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: content-strategy
Una introducción elegante y abierta sobre el concepto de arquitectura de información. El libro ofrece una metodología y una serie de lecciones aplicables a cualquier contexto en el que necesitemos organizar información para que otras personas puedan acceder a ella y tomar las acciones oportunas.

Si te estás iniciando en arquitectura de información o quieres tener un conocimiento básico de la materia es un libro muy recomendable como punto de partida.
Kevin
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
While I enjoyed and appreciated this book for what it was, a high altitude overview of IA, I really hoped the author would get a bit more into the details as they pertain to specific industries such as website design. Maybe a follow-up?
Jordan Jackson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honesty, this could have been a long form blog post, but never the less an informative read.
Carolina Bento
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to Information Architecture.
It's a very concise and straight-forward book, focusing on a handful of core topics.
Each topic's examples are were simple and yet were very powerful to summarise the underlying idea of the topic/chapter.
I'm looking forward to explore some of the recommended books from the "Further Reading" section.
Stacy Taylor
I didn't care for the format, which was basically like a collection of 100 one minute elevator pitches. It made for a quick read, but it lacks substance and depth. I guess that was kind of the point, but I didn't get as much out of it as I'd hoped to.
Chad
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be required reading for anyone who organizes things and/or works on the web. I was initially disappointed by what felt like a lack of concrete examples, but the carefully crafted thought process and lessons on each page won me over. I would love to read more by this author.
Tara
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome and super helpful! Abby Covert, has done some great work explaining how to organize systems and information in a simple and precise way. Best quote in the book: " Perfection isn't possible, but progress is." I'll be repeating that one 'til I'm dead.
Anne
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book will help you do two things:

1. Understand how to break a big hairy problem into smaller steps so that you can approach solving it.
2. Understand some approaches to solving it.

It will give you examples of various activities, tools (i.e. worksheets) and things to understand about problems. It'll do this one page at a time, which is to say each of the 150ish pages covers exactly one topic, and covers it well enough that you'll know how to move forward to the next topic. It also gives refe
Cristiano Dalbem
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some great insights on organising information in a very broad sense, and they're all presented in a pleasant way and with a good dose of empathy. I like how she always reminds us that making sense of messes, communicating and acting on them is always hard, but rewarding, which prepares us to the real world challenges of doing that. For that she also provides us a good selection of practical lessons, tools, frameworks and diagrams that are easy to apply and offer a good introduction ...more
Amy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fundamentally about mental models, which are in vogue right now, but rather than lay out examples of mental models to use in specific contexts, it describes how to create them. The idea is that anything we create or utilize, be it a piece of writing or a commercial product, has some underlying structure to its content that enables its audience to come up with some interpretation of what they’re seeing; as the sense-makers, we need to be deliberate about this structure in order to ac ...more
Jon
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broad overview

The book is a good broad overview of Information Architectures. For someone just starting out in a career that touches information architecture - which in reality is most of them - this is a great starting point to get down the terminology of IA and some standard methods.

As someone who works with IA all the time in the software development space - I had hoped this book would give me something deeper or connect things in new and interesting ways and was left a little disappointed.
Omar Mizdaq
2 and a half stars. Too vague to be much use when read alone as an introduction to IA. The only scenario I can envision in which this would have much value would be as a design book club choice. I'm sure that in the hands of experienced designers, the abstract, nebulous one-page lessons that comprise the content would serve as jumping off points for many an enlightening discussion. As it stands, though, the lack of concrete examples (beyond facile references to supermarkets etc) mean that you'll ...more
Omar J
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short and succinct read on thought processes around designing an Information Architecture. Abby Covert keeps the language simple and tries to keep the topics generic enough so it can be applied to all disciplines. As an experienced designer, it was a helpful reminder of the fundamentals but it felt a bit too dumbed-down. I think it’s geared for beginners but if that’s the case, it’s too generic and lacks thoughtful examples to help a beginner frame these principles.
Daniel
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me it was a mediocre book. I guess as a very first introduction to Information Architecture it can be decent, but it failed that test on my colleague who works on SEO of our products. I'm not even sure if he finished the book, but I can't blame it.

It is quite a quick read though and I learned some new things. After reading it I wasn't sure what to do with it though.
Lucas
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Abby states that this book is beginner friendly, which it definitely is, I’ve read it only after 5 years of practice, and still learned a lot. Her definitions, framings and tools are a very valuable resource for any professional. A fresh look into things we do at work everyday but not necessarily think this with such elegance.
Andrew Maier
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will easily be one of my go to resources to hand to the people I’m working with who are new to information architecture. It’s such an amazing way to prime people into thinking and speaking like information architects (even if they’re just working with one). A brilliant, necessary book.
Robert Bogue
When I explain my passion for information architecture to folks, they often wonder what I’m talking about. They understand intuitively that I’m not talking about designing buildings, but how can you design information? A better way of explaining information architecture is to say it is How to Make Sense of Any Mess. Abby Covert nailed the colloquial definition. In her book, she takes a practical tone to an often academic topic and explains how to make sense of our messes.

Click here to read the f
Misha
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, work, ux
Nothing here that I didn't already know, and not especially enlightening with regard to how to do information architecture, but it can provide good reinforcement and a bit of cheerleading when one is facing a messy project.
P Michael N
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction and overview of information architecture, why use it, what it is and how to make use of it across a wide range of messes.
Diana
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-books
Very easy to read and clear. It's quite general, but it's intended to be like this.
Caitlin Pequignot
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good introduction to the concepts behind information architecture
good introduction to detangling even more generic messes--
take a gantt chart to your own life with this book today.
Leah Henry
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good introduction to information architecture. Breaks down each part into simple terms making it easily digestible. I also liked the use of anecdote to make each situation relatable.
Emanuel Serbanoiu
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a mini lexicon. Great to have on your desk, great to learn the definitions from.
Marvin Vista
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few pages in and I already knew that this will have a big impact in how I work and live.
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • Design for Real Life
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Practical Empathy
  • The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love
  • Nicely Said: Writing for the Web with Style and Purpose
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The only way to know what happens next is to do it.” 3 likes
“Knowing is not enough. Knowing too much can encourage us to procrastinate. There's a certain point when continuing to know at the expense of doing allows the mess to grow further.” 3 likes