Start by marking “M Is for Magic” as Want to Read:
M Is for Magic

M Is for Magic

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  12,504 Ratings  ·  1,304 Reviews
Master storyteller Neil Gaiman presents a breathtaking collection of tales for younger readers that may chill or amuse, but that always embrace the unexpected:

Humpty Dumpty's sister hires a private detective to investigate her brother's death.

A teenage boy who has trouble talking to girls finds himself at a rather unusual party.

A boy raised in a graveyard makes a discover
Paperback, First HarperTrophy edition, 272 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by HarperTrophy (An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers) (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about M Is for Magic, please sign up.

Katsuro Ricksand Goodreads isn't for downloading books; it's for discussing them.

Miranda Reads
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaiman
Oh Good Lord, do not buy this one for your kids

Despite the cutesy title, this is soooooo not appropriate for anyone under preteens. There are no rainbows and there are no unicorns...and because it's Gaiman, it's weirdly sexual (though, not hardcore, at least). YOU have been warned

**Additional warning** Several of these stories appear elsewhere. I get that short stories are often published on their own before becoming part of anthology, but what I'm referring to is that the short stories are alr
Jason Koivu
M is for the many things I always hope to get out of reading a Neil Gaiman book. Then the usual happens...

Some of these stories - "Sunbird", "October in the Chair", and "How to Talk to Girls at Parties" - appear in his excellent short story collection Fragile Things, and apparently others also appear elsewhere, mostly Smoke and Mirrors. Add to that, "The Witch's Headstone" is the precursor to The Graveyard Book. So, M is for Magic is really just a repackaging of old material.

That's been a runni
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of short stories. Once I get my teeth into a good book I want it to go on and on which is why I read a lot of series. However if I am going to read short stories then ones written by one of my favourite authors is the only way to go. This book contains some absolute treasures. A few of the stories use nursery rhymes as their source, a couple are almost science fiction and of course there is a lot of Gaiman's trade mark fantasy. Pure entertainment:)
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with assigning a star rating to this book is that, like any book of short stories, it is a mixed bag. Especially considering that this particular book of stories is by Neil Gaiman who can pen novles that are original enough that the only resemblance they bear to one another is the name on the front cover.

What I gather from this book (intended for a YA audience) is that Gaiman allows himself to get more experimental with stories than perhaps with his novel. As always, the writing is s
Наталия Янева
„К като Котка“ любовно, макар и не особено кратко, си я наричах аз заради любопитно душещата въздуха черна котчица на корицата. В този бутиков сборник с разкази Нийл Геймън отваря обковани с желязо и потайно скърцащи врати и оставя на ваша отговорност да прекрачите прага им, защото никога, съвсем никога, не се знае къде точно ще се озовете.

Тези разкази категорично не са (само) за деца. В някои от тях имаше неща, които според мен деца не биха разбрали напълно, а на едно-две места дори аз се посму
P. Aaron Potter
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
R is for Recycled.

Seriously, I thought these stories were good enough, many of them, the first THREE times they were published. Five times, in at least one case, and possibly two. But there is not a single new story in this collection, folks. I almost titled this review "R is for Ripoff."

So, no original work. Maybe that would be okay if there were a good theme tying these together.

The problem is the anthology's premise: somebody got to Neil Gaiman and said "hey, you should publish an anthology o
I am kind of annoyed. I had hoped for a nice collection of short stories to sink my teeth into. But instead I ended up skipping over a lot of stories I had previously read in this one. So I ended up only taking a few short hours on this one (I think it took me around 2) to finish up. For the really new to me stories I thought some were just okay, and others didn't make a lick of sense and did not appeal to me. The only really one I enjoyed was "The Price" and that featured a black cat.

For those
Phèdre Banshee
“C'è un verme nel cuore della torre;
ecco il motivo per cui crolla.
Quando raggiungerai la casetta,
il luogo da cui era cominciato il tuo viaggio,
la riconoscerai, anche se ti parrà molto più piccola
di come la ricordavi.”

Uno sfoggio neanche troppo sottile delle abilità tecniche dell’autore, non affiancate purtroppo da qualcosa di realmente sostanzioso. Leggerò un suo romanzo per vedere se qualcosa cambia dalle raccolte di racconti.

Visto che sono racconti di qualità molto diverse, ho preferito valu
Nov 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody!
I was impressed with Neil Gaiman for doing a great job narrating his own stories. He's one of the few authors that can get away with it. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the material quite as much. While I've never been a fan of twisted nursery rhymes (translation: I hate them; if you can't come up with original material you shouldn't be writing) Gaiman did a reasonably good job of making the Humpty Dumpty parody palatable (but just). When I got to the completely pointless second story about a troll ...more
Ana Rînceanu
The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds- a detective investigates Humpty Dumpty's death (3 stars)

Troll Bridge- a boy makes a deal with a troll (3 stars)

Don't Ask Jack-a never used, always waiting Jack-in-the-box (2 stars)

How to Sell the Ponti Bridge- a master con (3 stars)

Chivalry- an elderly English lady finds the Holy Grail and gets an unexpected guest (4 stars)

The Price- a lovely homage to black cats everywhere (3 stars)

The Witch's Headstone- a vignette about Bod from The Graveyard Book
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
И 5 звездички за "Цената". Без съмнение е любимият ми разказ от сборника.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Много приятен сборник с разказчета, които се четат на един дъх.
این کتاب با این که یک سری داستان های گیمن بود ولی واقعا خوب بود . به خصوص داستان های مرغ خورشید یا داستان ترول . البته داستان های ضعیف تر هم داشت ولی در کل خوب بود .
A disappointing collection of stories, most of which I've read before. I did enjoy Chivalry in which a sweet old lady finds some interesting objects at her local charity shop, and The Price which is about a cat who keeps a family safe from harm.

I'll donate it to the library to see if younger readers are more enamored.
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars to this book, which would have been five with a touch of "black" more pronounced.
Eleven stories, to be exact, in between the fantastic and visionary, bizarre and fascinating.

"The Witch's Headstone": it is a story that also appears in the book "The Graveyard Book". A young man, raised in a graveyard by ghosts, struggling with an adventure that will bring him in contact with the outside world. Enjoyable and exciting.

"Troll Bridge": it is not a story for children and leaves the reader w
Hafsa Sabira
When I read a novel, I go through the author's introductory part where he mentions why he wrote this novel or what inspired him or who are the intended readers etc. This time too, I started with Gaiman's own views on this collection of short stories. It was very enjoyable to read what he has to say about loving short stories but he also mentioned that this collection is for children, a point I strongly disagree to.

First of all, as Gaiman predicted already, I didn't like all the stories. The stor
Behdad Ahmadi
مجموعه داستان کوتاه، از نویسنده عزیز و کم نظیر انگلیسی، نیل گیمن.

اکثر داستان ها جز یکی دو مورد بیشتر حالت تمرینی داشتن و انگار مشق گیمن بودن برای کارهای بزرگترش که تا به حال خوندیم،
مثل از عروسک نپرس، اکتبر روی صندلی، پرونده چهار و بیست توکای سیاه.

اما این بین آثاری هم بودن که میتونن به عنوان کار های شاخص گیمن باشن. داستان های شگفت انگیزی مثل تاوان و پل ترول.

در داستان چگونه می توان پل پانتی را فروخت، جدا از داستان غیرخاص و دنیایی که ترکیب حس کودکانه و بزرگسالش یه جور طنز عجیب بهش بخشیده بود و یک
Maria  (Mhemnoch)
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandonados
Otro que dejo (en la 48 de 147), junto con el de M. Ende, también de relatos cortos.
No quiero empezar el año con tantos libros empezados y este, al igual que el otro, dudo mucho que los vaya a coger para el año que entra.
Este, al contrario que el de Ende, es que tampoco me está gustando la forma en que están narrados.
Esta es mi primera lectura de Gaiman y puede que fuera con las expectativas demasiado altas, pero la verdad es que, ni las historias me están pareciendo nada del otro jueves, ni el
Serena.. Sery-ously?
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
M is for magic.

N is for Natty-Neil.
G is for Genius-Gaiman.
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have no words to describe how masterfully these stories were put together. Gaiman never lets me down...can't believe I only read this now!
Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)
3 stars. I read this and followed along with the audiobook at the same time because Neil Gaiman narrates it. It was a pretty great decision on my part if I do say so myself. When I picked this up, I thought for sure that this was a children’s short story collection but it is absolutely not. It dealt with a lot more darker themes in some of the stories than I was expecting which was awesome.

This collection includes 11 short stories, but unfortunately for me I only enjoyed four of them.

-The Case o
Clive Barker tells us "Gaiman is a star," but he sure is not shining in this book. Granted, some of the stories are entertaining. I especially liked Sunbird, the tale about the Epicurean club that had sampled every taste imaginable and have nothing left to try. I also thoroughly enjoyed The Witches Headstone which Gaiman introduces as, "...a story that will be part of my next children's book, The Graveyard Book, about a boy who lives in a graveyard and is brought up by dead people..." I imagine ...more
Skylar Phelps
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant fun! I love short stories and Neil Gaiman is a master of short fiction. His flowery, artsy writing has always enthralled me and I am extremely envious of his talent and imagination.

His prose has a cozy feel to it; like you're sitting in an armchair at home by the hearth, but oftentimes the stories come with a bite to them that I quite enjoy. It's like you're being lulled into a dream full of wonder and magic only to find that you're not the one actually dreaming at all. Surreal, spooky
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
A great collection of short stories. Gaiman has such a wonderful gift for words, and it shown through in Troll Bridge and October in the Chair. Lovely, and I highly recommend. If you're starting to read his work this should be one of the first on your list.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
I'm trying out audio (again), this time during my commute to work. My commute isn't bad, about 30 minutes, so a collection of short stories, written and read by Neil Gaiman no less, seemed like a good place to start. I was right!

I'll say first of all that I love Gaiman's voice. I could listen to the man all day. I don't really have any other narrators to compare him to, but just the fact that I actually finished this audio book should be a testament to his greatness!

I've read a lot of these stor
M Is For Magic is a collection of short stories, including a story lifted from Neil Gaiman's award-winning children's novel, The Graveyard Book. I enjoyed this book immensely.

My personal favorite would be The Case of the Four and Twenty Blackbirds, a retelling of children's nursery rhymes, but which mainly told of the mystery of who murdered Humpty Dumpty. [Okay, I'll give you just a few seconds here to recite the nursery rhyme to yourself... ;) ] Indeed, the nursery rhyme merely said Humpty Dum
Fatemeh Beygi
I read this persian translation of M is for magic by Farzad Farbod and i like 3stories of 9 stories on it:Don't Ask Jack , Chivalry , The Price.

باید بگم بیشتر داستان ها تم بومی ای داشت به خصوص داستان اول که در واقع به نوعی بینامتنی هم بود چون باید1شناخت کامل از داستان آلیس در...می داشتی و اون شخصیت ها و اتفاقات رو خونده بودی که توی این داستان هم بپذیریشن هم بتونی وقایع رو هضم کنی و شعر آخر کتاب. بعضی جاها از داستان های دیگه هم یه رنگ بومی ای داشت که برای ماهایی که خارج از اون فرهنگ هستیم غیرقابل
DNF. Read up until 38%.

I kept reading in hope for a short story that will impress me or that I'll at least care for or like but I don't have the patience anymore. This should seriously be titled M is for Meh instead of M is for Magic because I just don't see the magic.

This is my second attempt at a Gaiman book (my first being Fortunately, the Milk) and I'm still not impressed. I liked none of the stories, all of them bored me to no end and I just don't have it in me to read on in hope of finding
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it

I had read 5 of these stories in other Gaiman books but even those were a pleasure to reread.
Gaiman has such a way with words. At times I was a bit frustrated because a lot was left unsaid and I need resolution to feel fully satisfied but I can admit it is part of the magic. They are short stories, little snippets of magical worlds spun from a mind I cannot help but admire.

Admitedly, I did not find all of them enjoyable. Sunbird in particular seemed to st
  • City of Time (The Navigator Trilogy, #2)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • We Never Talk about My Brother
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Samurai (Simon St George #2)
  • The Sea of Adventure (Adventure, #4)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • To the Blight (The Eye of the World, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Book of Ballads
  • The Sea Fairies
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
  • Le meraviglie del possibile: Antologia della Fantascienza
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • The Brimstone Key (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you'll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.” 2299 likes
“I fell for her like a suicide from a bridge.” 96 likes