Start by marking “Emmy & Oliver” as Want to Read:
Emmy & Oliver

Emmy & Oliver

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  18,395 ratings  ·  2,705 reviews
Emmy and Oliver were going to be best friends forever, or maybe even more, before their futures were ripped apart. In Emmy's soul, despite the space and time between them, their connection has never been severed. But is their story still written in the stars? Or are their hearts like the pieces of two different puzzles—impossible to fit together?

Emmy just wants to be in ch
Audiobook
Published June 23rd 2015 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Emmy & Oliver, please sign up.
Ashley Uhh did you even read the synopsis? It is nothing like Eleanor & Park. Yeah the title is two names but that's one of the only things they have in…moreUhh did you even read the synopsis? It is nothing like Eleanor & Park. Yeah the title is two names but that's one of the only things they have in common. (less)
Emma Emmy's male best friend is gay and does have a romantic interest in the novel. Although I would say the storyline is a B or C storyline and not a huge…moreEmmy's male best friend is gay and does have a romantic interest in the novel. Although I would say the storyline is a B or C storyline and not a huge element towards the plot at all. (less)

·  18,395 ratings  ·  2,705 reviews

Emily May
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Well, that’s growing up, isn’t it?” my dad said. “You don’t always have to know. And things aren’t always fair. You just have to keep moving forward. A step in one direction.”

Yet another book that has me wondering just what is going on in the book marketing/design world. With a title like Emmy & Oliver and the heart-shaped finger prints on the cover, pretty much everyone will pick this book up thinking they know exactly what they're going to get - a cute romance.

In reality, this book is
Lola

This is the type of story that could certainly have beneficed of a dual point of view. Oliver is a main protagonist and at times it felt like everything revolved around him, so I’m really perplexed. Why did the author not decide to let him narrate from time to time, so we could scrutinize his indiscernible thoughts? He just feels so… elusive.

Emmy is a cute heroine. I say cute because she’s not original, or unique, or that interesting. She’s just nice and lovely and cute. It’s enjoyable to have
Wendy Darling
Awwwww. I love absolutely everybody in this book. <3
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Have you been looking for a non-dramatic (but yes, I did shed some tears--emotional teenage girl right here) YA contemporary that'll make your face hurt from too much smiling? If you: a) nodded your head, b) screamed FUCK YES, c) gasped or d) did all of the above, then Emmy & Oliver is going to be your next favorite read!

To be honest with you, I initially thought that this book was going to be full of drama llamas and "lyrical" writing (y'all know I hate those), and I've never been happier t
jessica
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘he looked like a stranger, and then he met my glance, and it was like i had never stopped seeing him.’

oh, be still my heart! i swear this book was written specifically for me. it was as if robin benway had asked herself, ‘what would be jessicas ideal story? because im going to write it.’ and then she did! lucky me!

i really dont know what to say, but i honestly could have read 300 more pages of this. there was just so much that i wanted more of. i thought the story itself was concluded nicely,
Christy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

photo 06A092FB-0BEB-4F5C-AFBA-50944D59AE86_zpssdhoxef2.jpg
“Sometimes love isn't something you say, it's something you do.”
Emmy & Oliver is a book I picked up because I loved the simplicity and beauty of the cover. I bought the audio before I even read the blurb, but I’m glad I did. I really enjoyed this one. YA book #15 for me this year! Only 10 more to go before I hit my personal challenge!

Emmy & Oliver’s lives were both drastically changed when Oliver was kidnapped by his father as a child. Oliver was taken away from his mother
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
"Well, that’s growing up, isn’t it? You don’t always have to know. And things aren’t always fair. You just have to keep moving forward. A step in one direction.”

My eyes are still a bit moist from tears of both pain and joy after reading the last few chapters of the book. And Wow! Just…I totally didn’t expect to experience a whirl of emotions over this book. Don’t get me wrong. This isn’t a heavy, dramatic read. In fact, even though there ARE heavy and serious themes, the author managed to magi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was sooo good and funny and sweet and sad and I LOVED IT!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I'd firstly like to point out that Emmy & Oliver is a really misleading title. While the title screams a romance-dominated story, I would say it's anything but that. Sure, there is a hella adorable romance... but at it's core, Benway's story is one about friendship, growing up, making your own path in life, and more importantly, family.
"Sometimes love isn't something you say, it's something you do."

At it's surface, this book is about Oliver who
emma
I’ve wanted to read this book for a long time. I used to obsessively add contemporaries to my TBR, and for whatever reason, this one stuck even when I removed most of them. And I’m glad it did.

It was, socially, on point. Characters were against slut-shaming and the “not like other girls” trope, as I enthusiastically noted about an hour and a half ago. There were themes of acceptance and homosexuality and gender. It was sick.

The characters themselves were pretty great. Emmy was actually funny som
Heather
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-contemporary
4.5

LOVED this book!!!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

All in all, here's an heartfelt story about family, friendship and what it means to belong somewhere, to grow up, without never hiding the hard truths and sore trials real life holds.

What is it that creates a family? A friendship? Are labels enough? Does calling someone a friend makes one?

"I looked up at my dad. "Tonight, when Oliver and I were talking, I said I'd still love you, even if you kidnapped me. I really would. I get how he feels."
My dad smiled. "That's the nicest and most sociopathi
Faye, la Patata
If I could describe this book in one word, it would be  quiet.

Yes, Emmy & Oliver is something that I would call a "quiet contemporary". I'm not even sure where that came from, or if it's a thing, or something I made up on a whim, but I know deep inside that this is the best word for it. I try to think of another description, but there is nothing that fits as this. Emmy & Oliver is meaningful, thoughtful, and like I said, quiet.

How is it so, you ask? I've read a number of contemporaries
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
We stayed and looked and waited for him to come back, as if our love was a beacon that he could use to light his way home, to crawl up the sides of the earth and back through his front door, his tag still sticking up in the back.

Emmy & Oliver exceeded all expectations. Although it may seem like this is a romance, the truth is it’s actually about friendship, family, growing up and rekindling that long-lost relationship that was horribly ripped away by one selfish man.

When Oliver was seven
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

I really had no idea what book I was going to read next, and then Shannon from It Starts at Midnight suggested I read Emmy & Oliver next because she liked it a lot. So I did. I mean I had an arc copy and everything, so why not just read it now? It is also coming out, like tomorrow. So I did, read it.

Emmy and Oliver have been friends from the day they were born - yes, they even share a birthday. Until one day Oliver was picked up fr
may ❀
Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes, but for me, it’s this book.

description

This BBBOOOOOOOOKKKKKK !!!!

Goodness, I’m so trash for Emmy & Oliver that it should be embarrassing but like “fav book > dignity” always.

So despite the cheesy-yet-adorable looking cover, this is not just another cheesy o’l love story, let me tell you, no, no, it’s a touching coming-of-age story that is fused with beautiful friendships, acceptance, and chasing your dreams.

Literally wiping away my tears because I
Tabetha
Rating: 3.5 Review: "The more you start to love someone, the more you ache when they're gone, and maybe it's the middle ground that hurts the most, when you can see them and still not feel like you're near enough."

I appreciated that this had more depth and did not focus solely on the romance between Emmy and Oliver. They both had to deal with the aftermath of Oliver returning home after being kidnapped by his father for so many years. Of course the adjustment was so much more difficult for Oli
C.G. Drews
This is totally one of my NEW FAVOURITE contemporaries of ever. I laughed so much! OUT LOUD. I was just cackling like an insane watermelon while I read this and...I couldn't put it down. I read WAY PAST MY BEDTIME. I'm such a little evil rebel. So honestly? For someone who is very dubious and skeptical about contemporaries and yet fell in love with this so so much?! IT IS VERY GOOD AND GO READ IT NOW. THE END.

Haha, I'm just kidding. Do you seriously think that's all I have to say? *collects 2403
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

If you only pay attention to this part of the synopsis before beginning Emmy & Oliver . . . .

“Oliver disappeared after school on a Friday afternoon, way back when we were in second grade.”

There’s a very good chance you might end up with this sort of reaction to this story . . . .

Please note that this is VERY MUCH a “kissing book” and an extremely sweet one at that. If you (or your teen) is looking for a new twist when it comes
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

I guess the more you start to love someone, the more you ache when they're gone, and maybe it's that middle ground that hurts the most, when you can see them and still not feel like you're near enough. So close and yet so far.

Absolutely too cute for words. Deep, heartfelt, unforgettable.

photo giphy 3_zps94kmubdy.gif

Sometimes I could slap myself for being so shortsighted. And, just to warn you, I'll probably even say that on tomorrow's review....I just have this mental block that prevents me from taking a risk, taking c

“Coming home is like being kidnapped all over again,”

This was a YA contemporary romance, featuring a boy who came back after being kidnapped 10 years earlier.

Emmy was a cute character, and she really went out of her way to be nice to Oliver, and to make him feel welcome when other people at their school treated him like an outcast.

“He’s sitting by himself!” I hissed. “Loo
Karla
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!

I’ve actually been wanting to read this book for a while, but for whatever reason I always thought, not yet! But I’m glad I finally found the the right time to read it.

When I started reading “Emmy & Oliver” I thought the beginning was slow because I had put in my head that the focus was gonna be Emmy/Oliver but it was so much more than the two of them. The ripple effect Oliver’s kidnapping by his father had affected not only his family but Emmy and the relationship with her parents
Keertana
Emmy & Oliver is the type of best friend romance I would normally be clamoring head-over-heels for...only, it's a liiitle more complex than that. Emmy and Oliver are not only neighbors, they're best friends. They've grown up alongside one another and for the first seven years of their life, they have shared everything, including their birthdays. When Oliver's father arrives to pick him up after school one Friday afternoon, no one thinks much of it. After all, Oliver spends every weekend with ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I adored this. Robin Benway's contemporaries are seriously under-appreciated. If you're looking for something along the lines of Jenny Han or Huntley Fitzpatrick, look no further. So lovely.
Kat
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2
Emmy and Oliver are best friends in second grade, when one weekend, Oliver leaves with his dad, and never comes home. Ten years later, he’s found and brought home. But what do you do when “home” is neither the place you were raised or the place everyone tells you should feel right, when the person the rest of the world insists is a criminal is the one who raised you, while the parent who was wronged feels like a stranger? A story of friendship and family.

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. E
may ➹
i'm surprised that i actually liked this??? but tbh how could i hate on a YA book that actually called out "you're not like other girls"

RTC! sometime in 2018!

---------------------------

I was forced into reading this and I hope I hate it.

(also?? why does every book have the Six of Crows font??? stop trying to be as good as SoC????)
*TANYA*
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super sweet read!!! I liked the how wholesome and innocent the teenagers were. Their banter and camaraderie was very endearing. I got choked up several times during this book, lol, but that's nothing new. Hahaha!!
Maureen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really REALLY enjoyed this contemporary. I think it was the perfect mix of sad backstory and current happenings and gah it was just great.
I enjoyed the characters a lot even though Emmy said dude too much for my taste, and it was really fun seeing them interact even though I could've done with a bit more development.
My main qualm is that everything tied up a little too quietly, nicely, and quickly at the end. Everything happened way too fast for me.
But overall pretty freaking great. Definitely
emily
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An earthquake would have been better. At least during an earthquake, you understand why you're shaking.

An engaging and intriguing novel, not only exposing the everyday dilemmas of adolescence growing up by the sea, but also tackling more serious, mature problems, and skillfully intertwining a most compelling mixture of psychology, friendship, diversity and light heartedness, that definitely help classify Emmy and Oliver as a very good contemporary.

Ooh, I liked this. It's one of those books that
Jenny

Wow. This was such an emotional and moving story, and nothing like I had thought it would be. This was definitely not a cute love story, at least not entirely focused on romance, which was the first impression I got when I read the blurb. But this book was so much better! Emmy and Oliver just became
  • The Revenge Playbook
  • Between Us and the Moon
  • Rites of Passage
  • The Summer of Chasing Mermaids
  • The Devil You Know
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • I'll Meet You There
  • Truest
  • A Sense of the Infinite
  • Trouble from the Start
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • The Distance Between Lost and Found
  • Top Ten Clues You're Clueless
  • A Step Toward Falling
  • Devoted
  • A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses, #2)
  • Magnolia (Magnolia Branch, #1)
Robin Benway is a National Book Award winner and New York Times bestselling author of six novels for young adults, including Audrey, Wait!, the AKA series, and Emmy & Oliver. Her books have received numerous awards and recognition, including a 2008 Blue Ribbon Award from the Bulletin for the Center of Children's Books, 2009's ALA Best Books for Young Adults, and 2014's ALA Popular Paperbacks f ...more
“The more you start to love someone, the more you ache when they’re gone, and maybe it’s that middle ground that hurts the most, when you can see them and still not feel like you’re near enough.” 83 likes
“Could you please stop dripping your sarcasm all over my car’s interior?” 64 likes