Start by marking “Remember” as Want to Read:
Remember

Remember

A thrilling tale about what a girl will do to get back a memory she lost…or remove what she wants to forget.

Harper is used to her family being hounded by protesters. Her father runs the company that trademarked the "Memtex" procedure to wipe away sad memories, and plenty of people think it shouldn't be legal. Then a new demonstrator crosses her path, Neil, who’s as persist
Published February 24th 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Remember, please sign up.

Start your review of Remember
Ari

I find the human mind to be fascinating, in so many ways.
There’s a whole universe hidden inside such a tiny little thing, and as much as we like to think that we are starting to conquer the actual Universe (though by that I kind of mean observe it from a distance), we still know close to nothing about our own little brains.

There is one thing that haunts me, one scary thought: how much of us is ourselves and how much is shaped by external factors (people around us, experiences, memories, etc). Yo
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

It is so hard for me to resist something that sounds unique. Something that hasn't been done before in the world of YA, which is why when I saw Remember, I just knew I had to try it.

Cook did deliver in the originality department. This was everything I was hoping it would be. Unusual, an edge of mystery, an edge of a romance, and most of all, a fun read that let me get lost in the pages for a couple of hours.

Harper was an interesting character and while I liked her, I wasn't always in
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Simon Pulse & Edelweiss

Point of View: Single (Harper Byrne)
Writing: First Person | Past Tense
Setting: Washington
Genre: Young Adult | Thriller + Medical Advancement

All Harper wants is to forget one depressing moment of her life, but she doesn't prepare for what she will remember afterward.

This book blew my mind because it was so well-written that I couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. The science fiction part of the book wasn't so strong because it only focused on the m
Heather Wood
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a clean teen read about a girl trying to unravel the mysteries of her past. Remember adds a slightly sci-fi element with Harper’s father having developed a medical procedure that erases sad memories. I liked Remember and I thought Harper was a strong protagonist that I could root for.

Remember took a while to take off for me. The beginning was slow and I found myself a little bored with Harper and her drama with her boyfriend and best friend. Once Harper undergoes the memory erasing proce
Brittany S.
Initial Impressions 2/15/20: It's been a long time since I finished a print copy of a book in one day but I didn't want to put this one down! I got about halfway in the morning and then picked it back up again the afternoon so I could see how it all tied together and how it ended!

I fell in love with Eileen Cook over WITH MALICE and her books have actually been on my TBR since 2012 when I added THE ALMOST TRUTH (but I still don't have a copy of that one...) so when I was looking into what to rea
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

Yay for local Canadian authors and one huge yay for Eileen Cook's 2015 newest novel! She's honestly one of the authors that I just can't get enough of and I feel the strong need to grab every book from. Sadly, Remember is the only book that I feel a more negative turn into by her. Lurking for some nice science-fiction mixed with romance that really reminds me of Elusion by Claudia Gabel? This is your match.

When I grab
Deniz
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is surprisingly deep. In fact I am not sure why, but I was kinda taken aback by the fact that this was so deep.
Don't ask me why. I should have expected it. It's a Cook novel after all. And I think I am slowly getting that that's her MO. Deep cute and fluffy.

Except the only kinda cute and fluffy bits are the romance, everything else. Not much cute and fluffy. Entertaining, thought provoking and endearing are more words I would use to describe this.

The writing style is Cook alla extraordinare
Junnie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Reading her book for the first time and I have to say this book is pretty unexpected.
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally a review for Author Spotlight here.

Remember was such a breathe of fresh air. A lot of people are writing dystopian or post-apocalyptic books and Eileen Cook is over there writing psychological thrillers. Go, Eileen!

The book is about Harper and her fathers brilliant medical breakthrough called Memtex. It is supposed to help dull really tragic memories and make it so you can move on with your life. You will still have the memory but it won't be crippling. I felt like this treatment was
Brandi Kosiner
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Remember appealed to me since I am drawn to stories about memory loss, and the idea of selecting memories to be less emotional or even the chance to remove them has so many possibilities. At the beginning Harper seems to have things going pretty well, she's smart, especially in sciences, she has a long term boyfriend and a loyal if opposite best friend.

However it was a waiting game, because I know from the synopsis that things will go wrong and she will have memories that she'd rather not hav
𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐄 (adarkershadeofrosie)
A Darker Shade of Rosie + Twitter

Thank you Edelweiss for lending me a copy of this book to review!

LIKED: I loved the author's skill with wit and sarcasm. • Harper (the main character) is a dedicated equestrian to a scientist father who developed a life-changing procedure: an operation that 'softens' memories you'd rather forget. Cool concept, but OBVIOUSLY something is fishy. • I haven't come across many main characters who are passionate about horses - very refreshing. I felt very connect
StarMan
RATING: 3.4 YA stars.

REVIEW: Well-written but not nail-biting plot (memory wipes!). Heroine should've gone Lisbeth Salander* on the adult who deserved it.

BONUS POINTS FOR: The "romance" was light and fairly tolerable here. No insta-love, excessive sighing, etc.

* from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

PS As usual for YA, no good adult or parental role models here, and it's up to the kids to overcome everything on their own. *Yawn*
Rebecca (Unbound Pages)
This review is also on my blog, The Library Canary.

***I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way changed my opinion of the book. The review below is my open and honest opinion.***

Remember is a book about a girl who goes through a traumatic loss. Not knowing how to move on, she gets a treatment called Memtex (against her father’s wishes) to help “soften” her memories. But after getting the treatment she begins to have strange dreams
Sara Tickanen
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally published on my blog, The Reality of Books. Check it out here: https://therealityofbooks.wordpress.c...

Remember, by Eileen Cook, begins in the middle of the horse jumping circuit with a young girl named Harper and her horse, Harry. Harry and Harper win many awards together, but then one morning she wakes up and Harry is gone. Harper immediately turns to her father, the head of a company called Neurotech that pioneered the “Memtex” procedure. “Memtex” is a drug that hel
Amber (YA Indulgences)
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lauren Miller's "Free To Fall"
Remember was definitely a dream to read. It featured all of the things I love in fiction:
▪ Unique Characters
▪ Friendship
▪ Mystery
▪ Memory Loss Treatments
What caught my eye from the very get go is the memory loss treatment called Memtex. This instantly made me think of Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. Memtex is a procedure that "softens" memories for people. When Remember begins, the treatment has just been opened up to children and teenagers. This of course doesn't fare well for everyo
Daisy
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: egalley
I was really excited to start Remember, because the brain and memory are fascinating to me. I however did not really appreciate the execution of Remember.

The concept of softening your memories so you retain them but they don't hurt you anymore. It's both scary and something I can imagine in the treatment of PTSS patients. So I was a bit disappointed that while it's a factor in the story, there's not really an explanation for how they found this and how it all works and everything that I was won
Sandra (Waiting For Wentworth)
It took me a little while to really get into reading Remember. The beginning felt really slow to me and not much was happening to grab my attention. But after Harper had the Memtex procedure the plot started to really pick up.

Harper was an okay character, but I never really connected with her. She waffled between being both weak and strong, so it was hard to get a good feel for her. I didn't like Josh AT ALL. He was portrayed as the perfect boyfriend, but he came off as a self-centered asshole.
Spiffington
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 13 - 15 year olds
An intriguing tale about a teenage girl who tries everything to forget a harrowing memory but instead recovers something even more disturbing.

Harper Lee has a good life. She goes to a good school, she lives in a huge house and even has her own horse, Harry.

Harper’s father is a scientist and runs a company that has trademarked a procedure called ‘Memtex’ which promises to dull down sad memories. The company says that this ‘softening’ procedure helps people move on with their lives but plenty of p
Terri
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

I received a copy of this book from the publisher Simon Pulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. The book was just released this week.

This is a story aimed for the YA audience and one that I think most parents would approve of. The book was very clean with very little profanity and the romance kept at a PG level. For the most part it is about regular high school students with regular problems until..........

Enter the Mem
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: C+

If you suffered a trauma, would you undergo a laser treatment to erase your memory? What if the treatment merely made the memories less painful? And what if that treatment had horrible side effects?

After the death of her beloved horse, Harper begs her father for Memerex, a protocol his company manufactures. When he denies her request, she finds a way to have the procedure. Soon she begins having flashbacks and memories. Or are they hallucinations?

The plot for REMEMBER requires the suspe
Read InAGarden
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Harper's father owns a company that manufactures a drug and treatment that can take away painful memories (or at least make them less painful). After Harper's horse dies, she feels out of sorts for several weeks and decides to pursue the drug and treatment. But for some reason her father is against the procedure. Against his wishes Harper enlists the aid of her friends and has the procedure done anyway. After this Harper begins to have some strange side effects. At the same time she begins meeti ...more
Katie
Jun 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
What the hell. WHO ERASES THEIR MEMORIES OVER A GODDAMN HORSE!??? I couldn't even finish it, it was so stupid. I was really looking forward to this book too. HUGE let down.
Kaylabookworm22 L
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the mystery of this story, and how all of the pieces came together in the end. I am now a fan of this author.
J
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
To be fair, those who have never seen Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind may enjoy this book more. For me, however, Remember was akin to someone tearing out rudimentary plot points from Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind and pasting it onto cardboard figures. I know it's unfair to compare the two works, but I couldn't help it because the premises are so similar: a company purports to wipe away memories and something more sinister seems to be present.

I've always been very intrigued by the conce
Ale96_CalS Paola
pdbkwm
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
While the twist is predictable, I still enjoyed the novel. The journey and the writing sucks me in, even when I know how it will all play out in the end. While I didn't find Remember as compelling as You Owe Me a Murder, I was still into it.

I think my only complaint was the love triangle/romance aspect of the novel. I should start by saying that I loath the love triangle trope that plagues YA novels, but I didn't really mind it here. Harper's relationship with Josh and Neil were written in a way
Emilee King
I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one: it wasn't my favorite.

The premise sounded so cool and intriguing, but the delivery was a struggle. The writing wasn't good, the characters didn't connect for me, the instalove was just too much, and the plot ended up not being nearly as interesting as I'd hoped. It was a really great idea—and some of the mystery aspect was why I kept reading—but overall, a disappointment. The story had a great chance to dig deep into complex ideas and issues, suc
Amanda Walters
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m giving this a 4* I actually really enjoyed reading this, a whole lot more than I expected. The plot was great, the romance was tolerable because it wasn’t too full on unlike some that make me want to puke. A quick read whilst I was deciding what genre I wanted to read next and I was taken aback. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Amy Lou
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't have much to say about this book, as it was honestly just okay. It's a YA mystery/thriller (if it's not, it's trying to be) and it's just quite predictable. It was a quick read and I didn't really mind it, but obviously that's not high praise for a book. I didn't care about the plot, the characters, or basically anything in this book. I loved the horses. let's focus on the horses.
Shannon Briggs
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The story was interesting with the heroine discovering her memories but very unbelievable. Also the dialogue was stilted and did not flow. Also I hated the romance, it didn't unfold realistically and was very sudden. But I guess that is common in many YA books. Overall a decent read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Three Truths and a Lie
  • More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • We Are All Good People Here
  • Kill Me Again (DCI Tom Douglas, #5)
  • Loitering with Intent (Stone Barrington, #16)
  • Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield, #1)
  • The Guilty Friend
  • The Same Sweet Girls
  • The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood: Prison Camp, #1; Black Dagger Legacy, #5)
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • The Rancher Takes a Wife
  • Food Was Her Country: The Memoir of a Queer Daughter
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • I Hear She's a Real Bitch
  • Dating for Demons (Half-Blood Vampires, #3)
  • Girls in Trouble
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.

News & Interviews