Start by marking “Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Star Wars: Episode VI)” as Want to Read:
Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (Star Wars: Episode VI)

Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side!

(Star Wars Illustrated Novels #3)

Acclaimed, New York Times best-selling author Tom Angleberger delivers a captivating retelling of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi like you've never experienced before, infusing the iconic, classic tale of good versus evil with a unique perspective and narrative style that will speak directly to today's young readers while enhancing the Star Wars experience for core fans of t ...more
412 pages
Published October 2015 by Disney (first published August 18th 2015)

Be the first to ask a question about Return of the Jedi - Beware the Power of the Dark Side!

April (Aprilius Maximus)
YUB NUB!!!! :')
rachael ♡
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
My heart:

"But at last Anakin sees him not as a Jedi or a warrior or a threat or a mistake, but as his son and Padmé's son.

And Anakin smiles. Not a smile like the Emperor's. Or a crazed grin like Darth Maul's. Not even a smirk like Anakin might have shown Ahsoka back in his Jedi days.

But a real smile.

The smile that only Padmé ever saw."

This retelling came straight for my feelings and refused to let me out of it without immense suffering. And I loved it.
Liam
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A return to form for this trilogy after a disappointing middle. Return of the Jedi felt a lot more competently written than So You Want to Be a Jedi?, and managed to capture that ageless/timeless feel that A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy did so well - not quite as good, but still, much better than the middle chapter.

Not a fan of how Anakin reminisces about Ahsoka and all this crap but I guess that's the New Canon and we have to deal with it now.

Much like the first two,
Jerry
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first book in this series blew me away with its new perspective on a familiar story...but the second one was a major flub due to awkward prose that read like an old-school text-based computer game.

So, was this third one good?

It was amazing!

Just like the movie that inspired it, this book finishes off the literary trilogy with a bang, and a very big one at that. It's Star Wars as you've never read it before...but that makes it all the better!

Even if you've never bothered with the Expanded
Joshua Reyes
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is just like the movie but it has a little bit more description in my perspective.
Yusuf
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A rewrite of episode 6, is written in a fun way and has good commentary from the author. It may not be the most interesting if you watched the movie recently, but I haven't, so this was a fun revive.
Книжни Криле
Благодарение на „Егмонт“ преди време в България долетя романът „Внимавай със силата на Тъмната Страна” на Том Енгълбергер. Авторът вече е познат и на родните Star Wars фенове с наскоро публикуваното заглавие „Странният случай с Оригами Йода”, което вече отразихме на StarWarsBG.com. След като Енгълбергер си спечели популярност сред децата в САЩ с поредицата за Оригами Йода от Дисни му възлагат задачата да се заеме с този нов прочит на Епизод VІ. Както гласи и подзаглавието, „Внимавай със силата н ...more
Stewart
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's about time. After a mediocre SW4:ANH retelling (A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy) and an unreadable SW5:TESB one (So You Want to Be a Jedi?), Tom Angleberger found the right approach in his re-interpretation of SW6:RotJ. His secret (which the other two authors should've emulated) is that he tells the entire story as we've known to love it, just with a lightly humorous YA spin. No need to change or omit things.

Angleberger breaks the story into what would be a ridicul
Danielle
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.

Beware The Power Of The Dark Side is a retelling of Return Of The Jedi.

Check out my review of the retelling of A New Hope here. Check out my review of the retelling of Empire Strikes Back here.

I am having mixed feeling about Beware The Power Of The Dark Side!, it was better than the Empire Strikes Back retelling, but not as good as the A New Hope retelling. The writing style chosen was a narrating style, which made more sense than the second person used in th
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Find this review, plus more, on my blog: Booklikes OR Blogger

Basic Info

Format:
Audio
Pages/Length: 7hrs
Genre: Young Adult; Sci Fi; Space travel.
Reason For Reading: Finish series

Total: 7

In Depth

Best Part:
Darth Vader's voice
Worst Part: Not a lot happening.
Thoughts Had: I need a suit
Stefanie Kellum
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
Fantastic conclusion to this series. Now I really want to watch the movies for the 5 millionth time! Seriously, listen to the audiobook if you're able. Great job again by Marc Thompson, and the original music by John Williams will give you chills. :)
Grace
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
‘Tis official!
I’ve completed the original trilogy (in book form)
It was a fun ride!
If you’re wondering, I’m officially a Star Wars fan thanks to these books and I’m looking forward to binge-watching all of the movies!
Stephanie (ShyNotebooks)
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2015, owned
don't mind me, casually crying because of Vader dad feelings

pop sugar challenge notes:
- a trilogy (third book)
Scott Martin
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I would probably rate this one more of a 3.5, but overall, a fun read. Given that the Return of the Jedi has its plot flaws, this work does provide an interesting and amusing perspective on the whole tale. It is strictly third person, but there is a great deal of humor in the narrative, which helps with the reading. If you are a fan of Star Wars and of the series of retellings of the original trilogy, then this is worth the time to read.
John Zeleznik
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I was expecting. Fun and light with some interesting insights. EMPIRE gets credit for being the best Star Wars movie for a reason and I think JEDI gets vilified a little too harshly. This was better than the EMPIRE novelization in this series by ton. The footnotes, while a little gimmicky, were fun and well done. If you're a Star Wars fan looking for something that's part of the canon but fun, this is it.
Kevin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completed the trilogy on our vacation trip. We enjoyed it but the consensus was that the first book ws the best. Obviously the basic plot is already known for most folks but this does deal in a more detailed way with the role of the dark side and its impact on Luke, his father, their confrontation and the defeat of the dark side.
Christine
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok I did like this book a lot but not as much as the other two... Leia's feminism and sass weren't really there and it definitely wasn't as funny as the second one.

That being said the Father Son moment at the end of episode 6 was WAY more sad in this book because everything was given more significance and tied in to the prequels and I was really close to shedding a tear. It was a pretty sad and beautiful moment and I applaud the author for capturing it so well.

Definitely enjoyed reading the book
Drewthereader19
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
MY FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH! It just barley made into my February wrap up!(:
Uuttu
Mar 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Tämä oli huono, aivan uskomattoman huono.

Kirjailija ei ollut tuonut kirjaan käytännössä mitään uutta tai omaa: koko teos oli käytännössä Jedin paluun käsikirjoitus, johon oli lisätty sinne tänne "sanoi Han kuulostaen väsyneeltä" -päätteitä. Mainittakoon vielä erikseen, että *kaikki* vuorosanat ovat mukana eli tässä saa nauttia ikimuistoisista lausahduksista kuten: "Pliip surr. Plii plip. Prrriip."
Kirja oli nopealukuinen, mutta todella kömpelö eikä se edes yrittänyt olla omaperäinen. Kirjailijan
Asun
Utena
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book in the Star Wars retelling.

I was, of course, a bit skeptical when I picked this one. I had enjoyed book one of this series but not book two. So I had lowered my expectations just a bit on this one. I see now I was wrong. This one was entertaining and full of more action.

This book was different from the last. There were no confusing points of view. Told in third person narrative with a dash of humor laced within the pages, it was a fun read and one that was really hard to
orangerful
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
The bar has been set VERY high for all future Star Wars novelizations. This isn't just a straight retelling of what you saw on the screen, this is clearly a labor of love. Angleberger is a fan and it shows. This reminded me of the radio dramas, with lots of extra bits of story and ideas that you can only include because of the format. The inclusion of the storyboard sketches and McQuarrie artwork makes this a must have for Star Wars fans of all ages. It is a book a child could read on their own, ...more
Sylvia
Second read, and I give 5 stars, because Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie, and Tom Angleberger's retelling is amazing, hilarious, and a great joy to read. Where the original novelization sticks to the story George Lucas wrote, Angleberger's story is full of extras turns. I love the way he draws the reader into his story, but keeps close to the movie lines, never giving his own twist to the story a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
Alejandro
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was an enjoyable book to read. It returned to the form of the first retelling. It was nicely written and it was great to get into the heads of the characters without having to use the second person point of view.

It was interesting when they added in history of Vader when he was Anakin and his times with Ashoka but it didn't take away from the story
Beth
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An extremely entertaining retelling of the movie Return of the Jedi, for middle grade and middle school audiences. The third person present narration is fast paced and a little bit silly, even campy in places. But hey, so is the movie and we love it that way. Language and situations are appropriate for younger readers. Sure to be popular.
Joseph Potthast
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, sci-fi
On one hand I enjoyed it because this is the story we all know told by a fan so you can feel the excitement of the story teller. However it really is just that a retlling of the story and I just didn't see that much extra that it brought.
Will
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Star Wars fan
This is the retelling of the classic Episode VI, and it is amazing. It's almost exactly like the movie, but it has little Star Wars facts along the way.
Kate
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Dang, the ending made me cry! And I knew what was going to happen!
Chloe (aka Crystal)
~Read for a second time: five stars ~

~Rated Five Stars October 2106~
Jackson Dow
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I chose Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Beware the Power of the Dark Side by Tom Angleberger as my second book for independent reading in English Language Arts. This book follows the exact story line of the film, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Set in a futuristic state “a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away”, we follow a twenty-something Luke Skywalker battling outer space crooks, like Jabba the Hut and the punishing Darth Vader. Luke possesses special abilities that make him capable of contro ...more
  • The Empire Strikes Back - So You Want to Be a Jedi?
  • A New Hope - The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Star Wars: Episode IV)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Rise of the Rebels (Star Wars Rebels Chapter Book, #1)
  • The Face of Evil
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • The Dark (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #4)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • The Steal (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #3)
  • Rogue One: A Junior Novel (Star Wars)
  • The Perfect Weapon
Tom Angleberger artist-turned-writer. He is a columnist for the Roanoke Times in Roanoke, Virginia, and began work on his first book while in middle school. Tom is married to author-illustrator Cece Bell. He lives in Christianburg, Virginia.

Star Wars Illustrated Novels (3 books)
  • The Empire Strikes Back - So You Want to Be a Jedi?