Start by marking “The Scriptlings” as Want to Read:
The Scriptlings

The Scriptlings

"Master Dung's study was silent. So silent, in fact, that one might have been able to hear a gnat passing air, if only an obligingly flatulent gnat had happened nearby."

Every computer geek has dreamed about becoming a wizard, but in "The Scriptlings" wizards are computer geeks - Garrett Robinson
ebook
Published December 12th 2013 by Smashwords Edition (first published September 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Scriptlings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scriptlings

David
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorin Suciu has done something that I thought damn near impossible. He has taken a very Pratchett like sense of humor and pacing and placed it quite well in a modern setting.

"The Scriptlings" centers on two protagonist, each "Scriptlings" or students of magic.

Merkin is a natural, born to magic the same way a tigress is born to the hunt. She is the Scriptling of Master Dung, a paranoid, plagiarizing magician who steals his scriptlings work and calls it his own, has a fould temper and is all aro
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody! All the everybodies!! (Sci-fi/fantasy fans; Pratchett/Adams fans; anyone in IT)
Recommended to Laura by: Garrett Robinson
I've just reread this book, and the only conclusion I can possibly draw from my previous four-star rating is that I am mentally deficient. You'll be glad to know though that I've made significant recovery, realised the error of my ways, and am now giving this book 5 stars.

The Scriptlings is basically a magical land of awesomeness. (Yes, yes I've been out the last two nights. Don't expect an erudite review!) It combines witty dialogue, well-written characters and a solid plot with IT jokes, puns,
Garrett Robinson
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome, fantasy, funny
Stewart Tame
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett should get a kick out of this humorous fantasy novel. Before I start: a word about the character names. Magicians, tradition decrees, must choose a new name for themselves, and the name must be disgusting. As the book begins, Merkin, a scriptling, is furious with her teacher, Master Dung. Meanwhile, Master Loo is engaged in an experiment to grant magical abilities to a mortal. Simon, the mortal in question, is unaware that part of the process involves hi ...more
Angela
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magical

Sorin Suciu’s debut novel,
The Scriptlings , is unlike anything I have read, except for one random Terry Pratchett story. I am also not a game player and my knowledge of computers - although increasing - is still quite minimal. All of these “deficiencies” made me wonder if I would understand “The Scriptlings”, let alone enjoy it. I am delighted to say that not only did I like it, but I hope there is more to come from this talented writer, for I would love to read more of the characters introduced
Sheila
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Scriptlings is the unlikely, yet strangely charismatic lovechild you would expect if Magic and Science were to have one too many drinks during a stand-up comedy show in Vegas.”

That description intrigued me enough to want to read The Scriptlings. It’s really more like a cross between computer science and magic but that doesn’t matter much because the outcome is still entertaining.

The idea behind this novel is that computers run on a miniscule amount of magic. I’ve always suspected that coul
Ryan Attard
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start with this novel? Just saying it is a fantastic read and simply labeling as entertaining is not enough. As an avid listener and occasional reader of comedy, I can easily spot the essentials and usual jokes: Suciu has none of these. He takes irony, fallacy and satire to a new level which will make you laugh out loud and, occasionally, snort in your tea. Add to this a cast of characters, each with their own twisted psychology - being the personality disorder of Master Loo, the sexy M ...more
Gregory Lamb
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in need of a laugh
Recommended to Gregory by: Ray Vogel
Humor and Word Play and Fun Plot

I'm not sure I have the words in my lexicon that best describe "The Scriptlings," but I sure had a fun time reading it. Just when I thought I had a sense for this author's humor and just when I thought I could anticipate what he'd try to surprise me with next, I turned the page to discover real surprise.

Suciu has a flair for words and punny metaphor. Starting with the names of the characters as they were each introduced, I laughed out loud. I loved this story and
Liliana Negoi
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit I was tempted to read this book first of all because of its name. A friend of mine told me about it, and its name won my heart from the beginning. I mean, an author who names his book "The scriptlings" simply HAS to have the necessary and sufficient dose of imagination that would make me want to read it.
And then came page 1. And 2. And 3. And I found myself unable to put it aside. It's funny, amusing, smart, the words are chosen perfectly for each scene, the character names are very int
Monica Selece
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a Terry Pratchett fan I really enjoyed this book. The writing is funny and witty, I loved the characters, there is a generous amount of amusing foot notes and a lot of geek references. I found myself laughing from the first pages.

The beginning is a little slow, however as it is dedicated to introducing the characters and the world that is understandable.

There are a lot of references to programming though and if you are not familiar with the basic notions you may not understand them. Nonethel
Jay Cutts
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for an as yet undiscovered fantastic author, this is the right place. I'm fairly critical when it comes to independent authors, being one myself (Death by Haggis and Annie Gomez and the Gigantic Foot of Doom), and so I was delighted to get a copy of the Scriptlings and wend my way through the story. Sorin Suciu uses English like a finely tuned storytelling tool. The story itself is quite sophisticated and intriguing - an imaginative blend of ancient magic and modern computerism ...more
Joel Bethell
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Scriptlings' pervasive wit and charm is a love letter to Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. The theme of modern day wizards felt fresh and original, and I very much enjoyed how the author subverted a lot of the tropes around fantasy literature. I strongly recommend this thoroughly interesting and humorous novel — especially to my fellow geeks for whom this was written; however, everyone will feel charmed by the cleverness of The Scriptlings.
Val Vogel
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Scriptlings was full of surprises and brought many a sudden chuckle and/or guffaw! Quite engaging and the right mix, (to my taste), of suspense and humor. The characters were also engaging and entertaining, and, well, even kind of sexxy! All in all, this was a great pleasure and I do hope the story continues!
Hobart
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
For reasons I can't quite put my finger on (it may have something to do with all the Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett references I saw when reading about the book), I came to The Scriptlings with a degree of trepidation. But it didn't take long for the book's charm and wit to get me past that and buy into its premise and style.

Scriptlings are apprentice magicians. Magicians are born gifted -- either from a magician parent or two, or the occasional child of muggle parents. Well, until now, anywa
Ioan Hangiu
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an enthusiast for both comic and sci-fi/fantasy literature, I find the mixture of the two one of the best ways to keep your synapses clicking (in a fun way). The Scriptlings was definitely no exception, as it turned out to contain a captivating story sprinkled in abundance with witticism. Some passages were so surprisingly funny that I found myself placing bookmarks so I can easily find them later, a thing that I haven’t done with any other book until now.

There were some aspects of the World
Madalina
Considering that this is the first book from a series, I believe Sorin did a good job introducing us to the main characters and developing a new magical system, where all spells are written in code and compiled in the magician's brain, before being spoken.

As I said, this is the first book in a series, so don't expect too much character development. Buggeroff is still naive and a bit silly, albeit a bit wiser by the end, and Merkin, although a real floozy throughout the book, seems to have calmed
Dale
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorin Suciu fairly and humbly acknowledges in the last pages of The Scriptlings his sources of inspiration but this is not sufficient to explain the sheer ingenuity evident, and the adroit equilibrium of subtle and blatant humour.

Sorin disclaims English as his native language but his multilingual aptitudes combined benefit the novel’s narrative and dialogue. And, I suspect somehow account for Buggeroff’s witty malapropisms. Sorin’s refreshing employment of English vernacular and idiom to formula
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014, review
'The Scriptlings' by Sorin Suciu follows two young apprentice magicians, known as Scriptlings in their world - called Merkin and Buggeroff. From their names alone you can tell this shall be amusing and satyrical. This blends magic with science in a modern world and always leaves you with a surprise - just when you think you have things figured out, the book manages to surprise you again after the next turn of a page.

This is one of those hard books to give summary to. It's funny and clever, and i
Ching Huang
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this book all the key ingredients of a delicious read: laugh-out-loud and witty-side-snicker humour, characters who are flawed yet nonetheless wholly lovable, well-timed plot points with unexpected twists and lots of `gems' for the computer literate geeks.

As with all well-written fiction, the author managed to convince me that the story could be real! The characters could be everyday people I see in this city with hidden skills and identities. We love our computers so much and believe they'r
Michael Schaefer
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book a while ago, and I had 'write a review' on my todo-list ever since, but I just didn’t get around to actually do it. Well, better late than never:

This book achieved something that I would have thought to be completely impossible in this plane of existence: It made me *like* Clippy, the animated paperclip that was the never-helpful-but-always-annoying 'assistant' in Microsoft Office for a number of years. Only in this case, it is Stapley, a talking staple, and it resides in the pr
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review keeps disappearing, but this book is awesome so I'm gonna keep reposting it:

K.D. Keenan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are many different modes within the fantasy genre, but if you're a fan of Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt, Douglas Adams, and Jasper Fforde, I guarantee you will love Sorin Suciu's "The Scriptlings." Although the book is rich with subtle (and not-so-subtle) references to computer programming, software, and gaming, you don't have to be a techno-geek to enjoy it thoroughly (though it doesn't hurt, either). There is a wealth of delightful wordplay that demonstrates the author's pleasure in and infa ...more
Shen Hart
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shen-reviews
We at The Review Hart would like to disclose that we received this book for free in return for an honest review

This light contemporary fantasy pulls together a number of different subplots and points of view to produce an entertaining and well-written story. The characters are plays on very familiar ideas and tropes with their own twists and intricacies to make them interesting and individual personalities. There are a few little things thrown in to make it entirely its own story, and it’s all
Adnartm
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is great. It's not perfect. In fact, it's quite far from perfect. It shows and it's delightful. The passion of newcomers can be quite refreshing and this book certainly makes a point out of proving it.

The cynical re-interpretation of witchcraft, the lewd and punny names given to the characters as well as the easter eggs in the book, they will all elicit mixed feelings from the reader. But rest assured, they will not leave you indifferent.

Be warned, however: the story's weaved at a rather unus
Michelle
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am not, as the first page of the book calls it, programming-inclined, which immediately made me worry that I wouldn't enjoy this book, much less "get it". I was so wrong. While I knew I was missing some golden bits of humour and cheeky references, I found it more endearing than irritating. I could practically picture the author winking at me, daring me to google it. And I did :)

The story is well written, suspenseful, sexy, and hilarious. The characters are well defined and the book is peppere
Poly
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book! The author says he likes Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams and boy, does it show! Excellent humor throughout, interesting and novel magic system, deep characters, nice setting... The plot is a bit weak, but overall the book more than compensates for it. Will definitely be rereading this as I eagerly await the sequel(s).
Jarod
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, first-reads
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was an interesting story about magicians in the modern world using programming code syntax with dead languages.

There were some funny parts and very clever language describing the world of these magicians. All in all a pretty good story.
Porya Rajabi
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorin has created a wonderful universe with The Scriptlings! Following the different characters around in this comical and unique world is pure entertainment. The only troubling thing about this book is trying to determine who your favorite character is! Enjoy this book, it's impossible not to.
Cristian Englert
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever, imaginative, funny! The sharp dialogue filled with witticisms keeps you going along the solid plot line.
Do you feel the magic of this world is fading? The scriptlings might have a solution to this, and you're definitely not going to like it...
Fedor Podoprigora
The magic of programming and the programming of magic, conspiracy, assassinations and sex - all these are fun on their own, but this book puts such a twist on them that you can't help but laugh your heart out, regardless of your background.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Midrealm (Realm Keepers, #1)
  • The Bialy Pimps
  • Persistence of Memory
  • Backward Compatible
  • Firstborn (Legacy #1)
  • Abercrombie Trail: A Novel of the 1862 Uprising
  • Forthright and Clement (The Un-Named Chronicles #1)
  • The Exile (Lies of Lesser Gods, #1)
  • Review of My Cat
  • Shadow Swarm
  • Spirit Singer
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2
A gamer by vocation and an office dweller by dint of circumstance, Sorin lives in beautiful Vancouver with his wonderful wife and their vicious parrot.

Born in Romania, Sorin stubbornly resisted the temptation to learn English for well over twenty years. When he finally gave in, it was not work or video games that weakened his resolve, but rather the mindboggling discovery of Terry Pratchett, Dougl
“Love can be just like hot peppers, exciting on the way in and agonizing on the way out.” 7 likes
“Simon did not solve problems, he just shamed them into going away.” 5 likes