Ching Huang's Reviews > The Scriptlings

The Scriptlings by Sorin Suciu

Now this book all the key ingredients of a delicious read: laugh-out-loud and witty-side-snicker humour, characters who are flawed yet nonetheless wholly lovable, well-timed plot points with unexpected twists and lots of `gems' for the computer literate geeks.

As with all well-written fiction, the author managed to convince me that the story could be real! The characters could be everyday people I see in this city with hidden skills and identities. We love our computers so much and believe they're amazing creation anyways, so yes, in a way technology IS magical.

I remain very impressed by the writing. The plot is complex yet the pieces are so well woven together that all confusion is avoided. The pace is well timed, which is tricky considering the volume of fantastic witty remarks the author managed to squeeze in. Anyone acquainted with the mundane work life involving project management and wishes they could find a shortcut to richness should experience The Scriptlings.

Oh, and I took some notes on how to deal with mortal men from one of the main characters, Merkin. At 19, she's a master of both magic and seduction so I bow to her greatness!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scriptlings.

Quotes Ching Liked

Sorin Suciu
“Simon did not solve problems, he just shamed them into going away.”

Sorin Suciu
“Love can be just like hot peppers, exciting on the way in and agonizing on the way out.”

Sorin Suciu
“Let’s see, you will need a project plan, resource allocation, a timeline, test cycles, a budget, a contingency budget, lots of diagrams, flowcharts, a media release, a strategic vision, a charter, technical specifications, business rules, travel expenses, a development environment, deployment instructions, a user acceptance test, stationary, overtime schedule, a mock-up, prototypes…”
“Tell me,” she said, “did the people who built the pyramids have any of those?”
“Mostly, they had beer. Come to think of it, if there had been such a thing as a Business Analyst in ancient Egypt, then the hieroglyph for it would have been very graphical, if you know what I mean.”

Started Reading